Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

canyoneer posted:

I finally joined the Ryobi cordless ecosystem by way of a $15 DeWalt battery adapter. Now I can buy many tools that I'd like to have for occasional use and don't want to pay $dewalt for.

This worked fine for me until last fall when I needed two Ryobi tools (floodlight + 16g finishing nailer) at the same time and only have one Makita battery adapter. The floodlight has a 120v plug but cords are really annoying now especially when you're up 2 stories.

The Ryobi tools really grow on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

This worked fine for me until last fall when I needed two Ryobi tools (floodlight + 16g finishing nailer) at the same time and only have one Makita battery adapter. The floodlight has a 120v plug but cords are really annoying now especially when you're up 2 stories.

Ryobi Lights and fans are probably one of my most used tools.
Oh it's windy out.. better toss get this nice rear end bright light and stick next to bed.. fucka flashlight.
Also the fans. other day I was doing some interior work on a car when it was 80°f out, I was hot, I grabbed the big fan and let it run.
My small fan gets lots of use too, poo poo I even used it to cool perogies for bagging/freezing so we could get a higher throughput boiling them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hexigrammus posted:

It worked great for me and then there was a Ryobi multi tool pack combi with batteries that I ended up getting and now I just have the adapter and like 8 DeWalt batteries and 2 Ryobi 18v ones. Problem solved?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/S...t-Injury-Hazard

Sledgehammer recall fun!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

That's funny. I have a dewalt 8lb sledge and the recall lists 4, 6, 10 and 12lb ones but not 8.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Thank you whichever goons recommended the Ridgid planer that DTO sells, it’ll get here Saturday (which is way faster than the hedge trimmer I ordered from them shipped)

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Is there a burr bit grinder attachment you can use on angle grinders? I have a steel gate where I need to expand the hole a bit and I don’t wanna buy a die/rotary grinder to use one time.

Using a rotary bit in a drill would be an option but I know axial loads aren’t real good for the drill bearings and so I would prefer to avoid it

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have no use for a framing nailer, but it looks like Ryobi has an 18v framing nailer now, which makes me want to find an excuse to buy a framing nailer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have a tool question, I need some kinda spreader tool, I've been working on this pump (older photo from disassembly) and I've started reassembling it. Dealing with some really strong springs here and I need some kinda tool to spread them apart so I can reinstall it. Without it reassembly is gonna be impossible, disassembly was nearly impossible and that was way easier.

I'm thinking maybe some kind of scissor mechanism. Would be nice if there was something out there so I don't have to make my own tool.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Snap ring pliers?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I wonder if something like this would be strong / large enough? This one is for vacuum lines so it's too small. Maybe there is a larger version. https://www.amazon.com/Automobile-R...s%2C189&sr=8-15

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

wesleywillis posted:

Snap ring pliers?

It is 100" this. Snap ring pliers. They make a few different kinds. There are some straight, some curved, some long nose, some thicker and thinner for different size rings. I think I bought a pair on amazon that had interchangeable tips for that very reason.

Oh wait, I just saw the snap ring on top and assumed thats what you're talking about. Maybe not if you're talking about the springs deep inside.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have a tool question, I need some kinda spreader tool, I've been working on this pump (older photo from disassembly) and I've started reassembling it. Dealing with some really strong springs here and I need some kinda tool to spread them apart so I can reinstall it. Without it reassembly is gonna be impossible, disassembly was nearly impossible and that was way easier.

I'm thinking maybe some kind of scissor mechanism. Would be nice if there was something out there so I don't have to make my own tool.

I'm not sure which pieces you are trying to spread and what the scale is, but a clamp with the heads turned around may reach, and I've had luck with just a right sized screw and long coupler nut to spread small poo poo before.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Verman posted:

It is 100" this. Snap ring pliers. They make a few different kinds. There are some straight, some curved, some long nose, some thicker and thinner for different size rings. I think I bought a pair on amazon that had interchangeable tips for that very reason.

Oh wait, I just saw the snap ring on top and assumed thats what you're talking about. Maybe not if you're talking about the springs deep inside.

Yeah it's the springs deep inside, I marked out the areas with red. I started making my own tool last night, I think I can cobble together some from what I have lying around. I was able to spread them apart using my hands like that but I will make it working using a threaded rod mechanism instead.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I threw this together, one was enough to get the shaft by. I will need to make another to expand both sides so I can drop in the cam. But it seems to work. Just rant out of M10 nuts.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

I threw this together, one was enough to get the shaft by. I will need to make another to expand both sides so I can drop in the cam. But it seems to work. Just rant out of M10 nuts.

Upholstery pliers.
https://www.amazon.com/Eisen-Equipm...aps%2C94&sr=8-8
I've found these really useful in similar situations. Poke em down in there and sqeeze

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Trabant posted:

Snapped a tiny brass screw while making a box and decided to invest in these to help make the thread:

It worked really well!
No gin or lime juice, 0/10.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Trabant posted:

Snapped a tiny brass screw while making a box and decided to invest in these to help make the thread:

It worked really well!
Wax your screw if you don't already. That makes a huuuuge difference in not breaking screws.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

No gin or lime juice, 0/10.

Why do you think I broke the screw to begin with? :cheers:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Wax your screw if you don't already. That makes a huuuuge difference in not breaking screws.

I didn't the first time although given how flimsy the screws were I'm not sure it would've made a big difference. I'm now strictly following a pilot hole + gimlet + wax process because I don't trust any of them to work on their own. Also, I should just buy higher-quality hardware.

Speaking of buying high-quality hardware, someone please get this so I don't have to:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Trabant posted:

Why do you think I broke the screw to begin with? :cheers:

I didn't the first time although given how flimsy the screws were I'm not sure it would've made a big difference. I'm now strictly following a pilot hole + gimlet + wax process because I don't trust any of them to work on their own. Also, I should just buy higher-quality hardware.

Speaking of buying high-quality hardware, someone please get this so I don't have to:

You can even 3d print your own:
https://www.printables.com/model/134002-denture-bit-holder-with-magnets

Of course while looking for that I found this guy which is kind of big in comparison but I might make one:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4625946/

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Anyone ever put 1” of water in the tub of their shop vac? In theory it’s supposed to catch fine dust particles and extend the life of your filter but I’m worried that water + fine dust will cement itself to the bottom of my shop vac

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Anyone ever put 1” of water in the tub of their shop vac? In theory it’s supposed to catch fine dust particles and extend the life of your filter but I’m worried that water + fine dust will cement itself to the bottom of my shop vac

I just buy the bags. Easier to empty, too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Got my GLL 3-80 laser and now I filled in the info on bosch-professional.com and applied for a free LR 7 receiver. Got lucky there I didn't even know about that deal and it was only if you ordered inside April you could apply. Also not sure it applies outside europe.

Just a red laser but I don't see the need for paying extra for the green.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

I've seen videos of people with a dust separator setup putting some water into the separator, but my experience with separators is that they work surprising well on their own. if you're talking about just vacuuming up lots of sawdust or drywall dust or something like that I'd definitely look into a simple bucket separator

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Since I had already made one, it was easy to make another of the expansion tools. So I think this must be a first for me, it worked like I had planned.

So now all plungers are back in place. This is the part of the reassembly I figured was going to be the hardest and it's behind me. Of course only when everything is back together will I know if I wasted a bunch of time, money and effort trying to fix a 1970s pressure washer :)

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/search?query=

DTO is having a 40% off factory blemished sale on most things for Cinco de Mayo and 50% off reconditioned stuff. As usual:
1.) You want to buy Factory Blemished if you want that warranty, either for Ryobi's 3 year 18V/5 year 40V or Ridgid's Lifetime Service Agreement warranty.
2.) Shipping is flat rate $15 per order
3.) "40% off" is kind of nebulous in that it's 40% off whatever the price was before the sale. Some things are marked down real low then, while other things are merely 40% off MSRP. This means there may be a good price on something you want to be had, but also know how much your item you want goes for (or whatever you think is a good price).
4.) You're generally lucky if you have a physical DTO store in your area.

I really want a DTO price tracker like camelcamelcamel does for Amazon for reason 3.

There's a slickdeals thread on the sale so people there might have more to say on what a good deal is: https://slickdeals.net/f/16630322-c...ct-tools-outlet

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 6, 2023

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Not intentionally, but years of water damage mitigation taught me that having water/damp debris in a shop vac is the quickest way to destroy a filter. Unless they've got fancy non-paper-based filters now? The old ones just got moldy and fell apart. And I don't mean with like, gallons and gallons of water in there, I mean like vacuuming up wet drywall debris from small puddles and the like.

And yeah, stuff tends to cement a bit to the bottom, but it's not an insurmountable issue. If having a bit of water in there improves the filtration of the shop vac, making the air in your workspace cleaner, I'd say absolutely go for it, I'm just skeptical about it being good for your filters.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Well poo poo was excited I could get a 4ah 40v and a leaf blower for 70bux but nope

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Is an air hammer a thing worth getting to have around?

Seems like my main purpose would be for dealing with stuck/rusty poo poo when fixing the car at home, but Is it like....a versatile tool? Or do I just want a toy?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sarah Cenia posted:

Seems like my main purpose would be for dealing with stuck/rusty poo poo when fixing the car at home, but Is it like....a versatile tool? Or do I just want a toy?

It's my third most used air tool.
1. Blow gun
2. Angle die grinder
3. Air hammer

Get one with the quick release chuck instead of the spring. Mine is an IR, and it's been great.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Slugworth posted:

Not intentionally, but years of water damage mitigation taught me that having water/damp debris in a shop vac is the quickest way to destroy a filter. Unless they've got fancy non-paper-based filters now? The old ones just got moldy and fell apart. And I don't mean with like, gallons and gallons of water in there, I mean like vacuuming up wet drywall debris from small puddles and the like.

And yeah, stuff tends to cement a bit to the bottom, but it's not an insurmountable issue. If having a bit of water in there improves the filtration of the shop vac, making the air in your workspace cleaner, I'd say absolutely go for it, I'm just skeptical about it being good for your filters.

Also, no worse smell then a shop-vac left for months full of wet debris.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

sharkytm posted:

It's my third most used air tool.
1. Blow gun
Where do you get the poison for the darts?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Green frogs for weekend hunters, red frogs for professionals.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Since I had already made one, it was easy to make another of the expansion tools. So I think this must be a first for me, it worked like I had planned.

I was thinking of something way more difficult to make, nice.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Slugworth posted:

Ive seen what appear to be cloth based filters for "shop vacs" these days at least of the Ridgid brand.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Slugworth posted:

afaik you're supposed to remove the filter if you're wet vaccing; at least for many shop vacs which have a "dry" filter. That's what the Ryobi 18V shop vac says at least.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Slugworth posted:

They do make special water compatible filters but I just take mine out.

The intended use case for the water was when I’m at work and vacuuming up a bunch of fine dust like from drywall sanding, I do have a dust collector but it’s a bit unwieldy to use when moving around. Thinking about it though, putting water in the tub would splash around when I tried to move it and probably end up getting on the filter and ruin it anyways.

I’ll just keep taking the filter out and manually knocking the dust off every so often .

Sarah Cenia posted:

I don’t have an air hammer , just the electric demo hammer but I will say that a spade bit makes quick and easy work of digging hardened soil/clay/whatever. Even a 4” chisel bit will do pretty good, something like this:

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
If you're doing something with really fine dust and don't have a dust separator, imagine the panty hose trick would work to keep it from getting instantly clogged. Way more ideal to me than dealing with water and a paper filter which don't mix.

But I've just got a basic bucket separator and that thing works like a charm, good to have in general. Might still need to use panty hose if doing something like drywall sanding as mentioned though, probably just comes down to how fine of a dust.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My toilet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Amazon has a great deal on the fancy shmancy dewalt powerstak batteries: 1 for $65 and two for $120 which is almost 50% off. I can’t afford it at the moment but maybe someone else can benefit in my stead

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-POWER...09KKM663L&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-POWER...ef_=as_li_ss_tl