Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Homer D. Simpson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The D stands for Dee

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Come on Oda, Film Red sold gangbusters and One Piece dominates the comic market on several CONTINENTS, you don't need a live action!

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Plutonis posted:

Come on Oda, Film Red sold gangbusters and One Piece dominates the comic market on several CONTINENTS, you don't need a live action!

Honestly if Oda is like. "Hah! Looks like this is the last chance to bring One Piece to the world in my lifespan. They won't release it until I approve" I'm willing to believe it'll be good.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m glad this is going the way he wants it to, but it’s still kinda funny that this is the “chance to bring OP worldwide” when One Piece is being dubbed in like over a half dozen languages and is like one of the top best selling comic books on the planet. Someone should really make him* a video of the show in every language…

*me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

People who watch anime and read manga are still a minority in the grand scheme of things, to be fair

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I love Oda, but no creator will ever convince me on the "this adaptation that someone else is making with a token supervisor role for me is totally exactly how i want it to be and it'll be good, promise"

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Jiro posted:

I'm saving this for future use

You really don't need to, it gets posted weekly.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Plutonis posted:

Oda's comments about his lifespan making me :(

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Oda's comments about his lifespan making me :(

He's going to turn himself in to the government once he finishes the manga

"You want my treasure? You can have it. I left everything I gathered together in One Piece. Now you'll just have to find it at a bookstore near you!"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

MorningMoon posted:

I love Oda, but no creator will ever convince me on the "this adaptation that someone else is making with a token supervisor role for me is totally exactly how i want it to be and it'll be good, promise"

Yeah. Hearing this announcement after watching the latest Oshi no Ko sure is some nice timing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Akira Toriyama before Dragonball Evolution released: I hope you can enjoy this as an alternate take on the series

Akira Toriyama after: That poo poo sucked so much I'm going to bring about a new renaissance for the original

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Oh you like Broly? Well I'm about to make that poo poo canon"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Oda is going to turn to dust when the last OP chapter is released

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’ll be like Charles Schulz and Peanuts, Oda dies when his comic dies

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Oda dies when his dream dies

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

bobjr posted:

Oda is going to turn to dust when the last OP chapter is released

Please. Its Cigarette ashes.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Scholtz posted:

Oda dies when his dream dies

Ah, so he's immortal then

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Plutonis posted:

Ah, so we're waiting for Oda to do everything but the background CGI by himself, while having side arguments about Nami's boobs and Sanji's hilarious personality quirks.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

the "simp vs sexpest" arguments are actually what caused the writers strike

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/tusktwo/status/1654235147938545666?s=20

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

There is no world where Netflix makes a great live action anime

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Upsidads posted:

There is no world where Netflix makes a great live action anime

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Where's Kuromi Robin

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Last Celebration posted:

I’m glad this is going the way he wants it to, but it’s still kinda funny that this is the “chance to bring OP worldwide” when One Piece is being dubbed in like over a half dozen languages and is like one of the top best selling comic books on the planet. Someone should really make him* a video of the show in every language…

*me

I know more people that are willing to watch something that's just starting than seeing a 1000 episode/chapter backlog. I have comic reading friends that have ready more xmen comics than there are one piece chapters but since there's been who knows how many reboots and continuities it apparently feels less daunting

those people are obviously wrong because one piece is very good and honestly a chapter doesn't take that long to get though, but alas

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Len posted:

those people are obviously wrong because one piece is very good and honestly a chapter doesn't take that long to get though, but alas

Also the live action show is never going to run long enough to actually resemble a finished product, soooo...

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It would take them at least a decade and hundreds of actors to even attempt to catch up.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Make all the non-human and giant characters into Muppets

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Brook is a science classroom skeleton in a wig

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
CGaimon

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I wonder how theyll handle people just being really fuckin tall

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Big News Morgans can just be Big Bird with a hat

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/HatokTalk/status/1654888527480635392?t=7Acl_wj-F-WCwRY6ACfTCA&s=19

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I wonder how theyll handle people just being really fuckin tall

Do what they did with the hobbits in LOTR, but, like, the opposite

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In all seriousness, the fact that some people in One Piece are just like 12 feet tall but they're very specifically NOT giants is an absolutely wonderful/glorious facet of One Piece and if it's not in the show I'll be mildly disappointed.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

In all seriousness, the fact that some people in One Piece are just like 12 feet tall but they're very specifically NOT giants is an absolutely wonderful/glorious facet of One Piece and if it's not in the show I'll be mildly disappointed.

The existence of giants in the setting makes it not all that weird; presumably some humans have varying degrees of giant ancestry. We know that fishman-human and fishman-giant hybrids are possible, so it makes sense that there would be human-giant hybrids too.

Edit: We do also have examples of a human (Linlin) and a mermaid (Shirahoshi) who are much larger than their parents, but Linlin is specifically presented as a one-of-a-kind freak of nature.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 7, 2023

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Big Mom was canonically impregnated by a Tontatta

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I feel like we don’t see that many random people who are 15 foot tall, background characters seem to be normal human heights most of the time.

There’s some sweet spot where if you’re two to three times as tall as everyone else, you’ve got a good chance of becoming a marine admiral or a top pirate, but if you get too tall and into giant territory you exist solely for someone to take you out in a single hit to show how badass they are.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tbp posted:

I like how Big Mom has been thirsty for a Giant for like 60 years, but none of them will call her back. It's just a weird thing that only makes sense in the foundational insanity of the One Piece world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

tbp posted:

this is why the wg fears the will of d