Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

More sockets is always better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol I added "night time sex orgy tupperware party, sordid cocktails" and its not really changed much. A statement upon middleclass kitchens I guess.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Just get Howdens/Magnet/Wickes in to do a free design then pinch it and replicate it on DIY kitchens, that’s what we did

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Personally I got tired of dark floors. They get dirty so fast. I recommend floors that are the same color as dirt.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That is very good advice and our floors are a cookie-like medium oak for exactly this reason.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

peanut posted:

That is very good advice and our floors are a cookie-like medium oak for exactly this reason.

Yeah our are a nice walnuty oak that can happily disguise both poo and chocolate, the two main types of solid matter that end up on our floors

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just use dirt floors.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

goatface posted:

Just use dirt floors.

"""rustic"""

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Please do not assume dirt is a factor in the L house when NJAN99 can simply turn on the insane HVAC and suck up any dirt through that, and also asphyxiate any unwanted guests.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

99 searched ebay for "dirt cheap flooring" and oh the look on his face when it arrived

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

If you notice my prompts I didn't actually tell it to do dark tile floors. I guess thats just what happens when you feed an AI on a diet of current Pintrest Instagram images, you get what everyone else is doing, which is apparently dark tiles.

Which is what I did in my last place with oak and white plaster and stone walls.

So I came up with some different image prompts, inspired by the thread to cut down on the corridorness of the righthandside accessway. But also inspired by the overall L theme

then went full meme from earlier

nothing good so far as I need a new PC that isnt rubbish

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Give us the loss.jpg kitchen

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The L-route through the kitchen will drive you nuts.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

lol yea even given my barrel roll fitness probably not a goer.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I feel like doing full cabinets on the far wall with an island might look good, have you mocked that up?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Yeah do not do it in a way that makes the doorway be blocked you'll drive yourself insane within a month and tear everything out.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

OSHA thread found some of your brickie's other work:
https://i.imgur.com/snp3VSj.gifv

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Foxfire_ posted:

They built too greedily, and too high

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Mario Wall will be studied by historians and visited by school children thousands of years from now, like the Great Wall of China. Do not lump him in with these rank amateurs.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

nice L-shaped wall

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol, I wish I had 4 guys in matching outfits on my site at any time. They seem incredibly professional.

I can't remember how to do videos so might take an edit but heres my wobbly internal walls. The exterior are fine as they have load on. I say fine. Like fine as in not an immediate terrifying issue.

Bear in mind this isnt like a body slam into a wall or anything, its my beautiful, delicately gloved hand gently caressing the actual walls between rooms.

https://i.imgur.com/LwQW7Ur.mp4

And you can see here, although actually its much worse in person how the walls are just falling apart.

Plan is to install leftover wall straps backwards into internal walls to tie them into the ceiling and roof timbers. Which I dunno. Like I'd quite like a sort of vertical slipbracket style thing but that only seems to exist in australia because of all the sweltering kangeroos they keep in their lofts/attics.

So I'll just do it

And actually it does really firm things up.

Like I'd almost be prepared to be in the rooms and assume I wont get collapsed on now.

Pretty much one bracket either side of each internal wall right in the middle.

Sort of depending on where the timbers line up.

Whats also worrying is all the wall chases I have to cut in for electrics/sensors/plumbing.

I'm avoiding horizontal where possible but need to do one in the bathroom to put the wall mounted tap in the middle of the bath. Using 15mm copper I can stick to the mandated 1/6th horizontal depth chases.

But need to do a crazy very slight bend which means buying a spring and doing some flexing.

Noice

I hate this but it all has to be set at the exact right depth for the tap fitting to screw on given the buildup of hardie backer boards and tiles, hence the weird bending.

Hmmm. lets hope this is all right

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I'm very disturbed by what the baby in your avatar turned into.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Everything the Big Bad Wolf taught me about house construction was wrong.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

normally ceiling joists rafters are load bearing, but they mean bearing the load above them, not the load below them, like a chandelier made of walls

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I imagine that when this house is eventually sold; surveyors, architects and builders alike will travel from miles around to see it and quietly, reverently whisper "what the fuuuck"

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I imagine that when this house is eventually sold; surveyors, architects and builders alike will travel from miles around to see it and quietly, reverently whisper "what the fuuuck"

If there's something I hope people (who have never worked in or around construction) take away from this thread, it's that pretty much every building has issues/interesting solutions like this. Every house you drive by, every little place had it's story, shortcuts, dumbass subtrades, etc as it was being built.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Pretty sensible choice to have earthquake damping if you ask me. When that famous south-east England faultline goes, you'll be laughing.

And if the fault line runs beneath your house, it won't happen anyway - your foundations have firmly clasped tectonic plates together.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

Pretty sensible choice to have earthquake damping if you ask me. When that famous south-east England faultline goes, you'll be laughing.

And if the fault line runs beneath your house, it won't happen anyway - your foundations have firmly clasped tectonic plates together.

99's foundation is the only thing keeping scotland from achieving independence

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Thread: "I can't believe people build houses out of flimsy wooden sticks, nothing but brick and concrete for me!"

Also this thread:

:stonk:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

To be fair,
1. Any construction can be bad if you do it bad
2. Those light blocks are entirely for the builder’s benefit, if it had been bricks or proper blocks they wouldn’t have been building that tall in one go
3. All walls are quite wobbly when not tied in to something

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Hewn log walls in the traditional nordic fashion, they are interlocked into each other and it's very rigid and strong.

Like if you were to remove say, 1/3rd of the foundations from one corner, the house would support itself and hold that part in the air. Of course the internal walls are part of the structure and provide a lot of the strength. There have been examples of house owners wanting a modern open style layout in their house, so they removed the internal walls and over time the walls start bending outwards, sometimes collapsing and killing their owners. I have a friend who has more than once had to perform emergency repairs to prevent a house collapse. Like spanning the width of the house with large diameter threaded rods and washers.

Owning such a house means you can't just tear down internal walls willy nilly, things you didn't think where load bearing are and you can't think about the construction like a stick framed house.

Sorry about the OT.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Owning such a house means you can't just tear down internal walls willy nilly,

Tear them down? I could blow on them and they'd come down. Very easy to remodel.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Tear them down? I could blow on them and they'd come down. Very easy to remodel.

The interleaved log ones he's talking about? You could probably ram a car into one and it'd damage the car more.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I think the main benefit of these blocks is that you can easily carve channels into them with a butter knife.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

we are graced with another L

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Posting your Γs for all to see.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

How'd you get a structural engineer to approve single-wythe walls?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

99's are internal ones, the one in the gif you can see they're working on the second leaf.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

Wythe is a masonry term and I wouldn't call 99's walls masonry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're the architectural equivalent of when a flashy chef turns a whole side of beef into a foam.