Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The posts only break off because the horizontal bars connecting them have been removed. Of course you can pull off any balcony fence railing post by itself, but together they will hold any weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nenonen posted:

The posts only break off because the horizontal bars connecting them have been removed. Of course you can pull off any balcony fence railing post by itself, but together they will hold any weight.

Absolutely not. While it's true they'd be stronger if tied together, any individual post should be able to support an adult running into it without falling down.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cat Hatter posted:

Absolutely not. While it's true they'd be stronger if tied together, any individual post should be able to support an adult running into it without falling down.

Pro-tip, don't show off how safe your structures are.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/window-strength-death/

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
those bars were only sunk like an inch in the questionable quality cement, even with horizontal bars it wasn't going to work

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Now why would I trust you, a total stranger on the internet? :confused:

Meanwhile in Finland, a woman somehow stumbled through a 7th floor balcony glass panel.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Now why would I trust you, a total stranger on the internet? :confused:

Meanwhile in Finland, a woman somehow stumbled through a 7th floor balcony glass panel.

If it was Finland she was probably drunk and looking for her cigarettes. (Source: am half Finnish)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

If it was Finland she was probably drunk and looking for her cigarettes. (Source: am half Finnish)

Very likely, according to reporting she was a downstairs neighbour of the woman living in the apartment and we don't usually do neighbour visits unless there's some booze. Smoking and drinking kills, the panel manufacturer and construction company are innocent.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Uthor posted:

Obviously not, but people walk into things because they aren't paying attention all the time and a railing should at least slow them down before they die. Alternatively, two people should be able to lean against it at the same time.

It's funny to look at how a modern deck railing is supposed to tie into the rest of the structure vs the way everyone used to just notch a 4x4 post so it was effectively as strong as a 2x4 and then just put two lag screws into the rim joist.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

House is "award-winning".

Hope you don't stumble on that midnight trip to the bathroom!
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10560-Kelly-St-Mendocino-CA-95460/19214895_zpid/?mmlb=g,29

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I think "award winning" in this case might mean someone was awarded damages in court after being injured by that lovely stair design.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10560-Kelly-St-Mendocino-CA-95460/19214895_zpid/?mmlb=g,29

I know that it's in Mendocino, but that is not a 2 million dollar house.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

binge crotching posted:

I know that it's in Mendocino, but that is not a 2 million dollar house.
Yes, it is. It looks out over the Mendocino Headlands to the ocean. That's where the money is. If the house disappeared in an earthquake tomorrow, the land might still be worth that.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A Darwin Award?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Uthor posted:

When is the sidewalk fully dressed? When it’s Waring Hudsucker.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Many years ago I stayed in a youth hostel that had a mezzanine floor with two of the beds on it and it had those weird half stairs up to it, but they were polished wood and turns out my footwear had no grip left so wheeeeee down I went!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Many years ago I stayed in a youth hostel that had a mezzanine floor with two of the beds on it and it had those weird half stairs up to it, but they were polished wood and turns out my footwear had no grip left so wheeeeee down I went!

My wife fractured two vertebrae slipping down hardwood stairs in socks. Luckily she fell on the short stretch and stopped at the landing, and didn't end up permanently crippled, just bed/couch bound for a few weeks.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My neighbor tripped and broke her ankle on the single step outside her kitchen back door when taking out the trash.

Never trust stairs.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We moved into our house three weeks ago and I've already cracked my tailbone and currently have a bruised elbow and hip from slipping on the mud room stairs and main stairs, respectively. Some carpet treads are on order now.

I guess you just aren't allowed to have cozy feet in a house with plain hardwood stairs?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Yeah. Don't wear socks on stairs

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Shifty Pony posted:

We moved into our house three weeks ago and I've already cracked my tailbone and currently have a bruised elbow and hip from slipping on the mud room stairs and main stairs, respectively. Some carpet treads are on order now.

I guess you just aren't allowed to have cozy feet in a house with plain hardwood stairs?

Get some slippers with a decent tread. Very cozy.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65637?page=mens-wicked-good-moccasins

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Get grippy socks like they have in psych wards.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Shifty, where did you order your stair treads from? We should probably have some.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Shifty, where did you order your stair treads from? We should probably have some.

I got them from here: https://oakvalleydesigns.com

I can let you know how they turn out.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

peanut posted:

Never trust stairs.

My parents pulled up the carpet and put hardwood floors down upstairs. Instead of... Anything else, they put the flooring right on top of the top step, making it twice as thick.

It took me like five years to stop tripping on it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

House slippers are kind of definitively Old People Stuff, but hell if they aren't useful now that everything's grey LVP everywhere that gets slick as hell if someone tracks in water.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sash! posted:

My parents pulled up the carpet and put hardwood floors down upstairs. Instead of... Anything else, they put the flooring right on top of the top step, making it twice as thick.

It took me like five years to stop tripping on it.

The body is exceptionally good at being lazy and after a few steps of exactly the same height it takes a surprisingly small amount of variance to gently caress with people climbing stairs.

https://youtu.be/seieuz__B_g

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

...which is why there are very specific codes for riser height at rise/run for the entire flight.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

The body is exceptionally good at being lazy and after a few steps of exactly the same height it takes a surprisingly small amount of variance to gently caress with people climbing stairs.

https://youtu.be/seieuz__B_g

You never realize how close your hand comes to things until you break a finger, get one of those metal finger splints, and then snag it on literally everything around you.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sash! posted:

You never realize how close your hand comes to things until you break a finger, get one of those metal finger splints, and then snag it on literally everything around you.

Or a watch. I feel like I've never whacked my hand into a door frame in my life but the first week after you start putting an expensive amulet on your wrist...

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

For 5 years I had an office on the second floor of a 120-year-old building. The top three steps were _just slightly_ taller than the rest, I tripped over them dozens of times.

A while after I moved out the cafe downstairs took over the space. I wonder how many waiters have tripped on those three steps carrying a tray full of hot coffees.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I love pubs that just have a staircase in the middle of the floor. They don't even have to be wonky in any way, people will regularly just fly down majestically and then contuse, break, and/or become divested of every part of their body less majestically.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sash! posted:

My BF wears a continuous glucose monitor, and I have worn a surplus one once. It's a plastic disk the size of a coin that you stick to your arm with double sided tape*, and it makes you acutely aware of how closely you brush door frames and corners and the like. He has managed to tear off two of them over a few years, and I banged the one I borrowed into the bathroom door.

* It comes in a spring-loaded deployment tool that also punches a chunky needle through the sensor, into your arm, and then immediately pulls it out again, leaving a thin silicone tube behind.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You can wear a glucose monitor on any squishy part of the body. Thigh or stomach are the safest areas.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sure, but doesn't mean that's the person's preference. I wear both a CGM and have an insulin pump and while I would have best absorption with my stomach, I couldn't stand that location and it made me constantly aware of the devices.

Now I do CGMs on the arm and pump sites on my thighs and keeps things mostly out of the way (as they can be). Sucks to get your pump tube stuck on a handle while walking though.

I'm also on the fence about ditching CGMs. They start to tread into knowing too much and really affecting your mental health.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just started wearing a pump a month ago (Omnipod 5) and it's a fun little game finding sites that I won't knock as I do normal movement and also won't knock against doorways that I get too close to. Also you can get closed loop pumps that get real time data from your CGM to better dose your basal, so keep that in mind before you ditch the CGM.

I guess the only crappy construction here is our bodies.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

I got them from here: https://oakvalleydesigns.com

I can let you know how they turn out.

Please do!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Computer viking posted:

My BF wears a continuous glucose monitor, and I have worn a surplus one once. It's a plastic disk the size of a coin that you stick to your arm with double sided tape*, and it makes you acutely aware of how closely you brush door frames and corners and the like. He has managed to tear off two of them over a few years, and I banged the one I borrowed into the bathroom door.

* It comes in a spring-loaded deployment tool that also punches a chunky needle through the sensor, into your arm, and then immediately pulls it out again, leaving a thin silicone tube behind.

I'm exactly the right height for my belt loops to catch on door handles. It's infuriating.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm exactly the right height for my belt loops to catch on door handles. It's infuriating.
i have a kitchen drawer that is constantly catching my pockets

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I find that only happens to me when I'm in a hurry and/or already annoyed about something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ha, his main complaint is that the tube from his insulin pump catches on door handles - it's basically the same thing but it pokes out a little bit further. I say we go for panic bars and pull handles on all doors.