Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I cant stop thinking about Buggy

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
that's because Buggy is the best. it is hilarious that an early story antagonist is still relevant and is actually making waves

our boy is an emperor now

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

In all seriousness, the fact that some people in One Piece are just like 12 feet tall but they're very specifically NOT giants is an absolutely wonderful/glorious facet of One Piece and if it's not in the show I'll be mildly disappointed.

Also people dramatically change size during their adult life - pretty sure when they showed the Edward Newgate flashbacks, he just looked like a biggish dude, and then as Whitebeard he is suddenly like 18 feet tall.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

mabels big day posted:

I cant stop thinking about Buggy

My reaction to how awesome Buggy is

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I have finally caught up with One Piece. This new arc is cool and looks like it has all the pieces for a satisfying conclusion, but also I can't imagine it taking any less than 10 years lol

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think it's the other way around, they were deleting the island and he happened to have ended up on it "How unfortunate for him".

Looking back chapter 1060, the world government clearly deleted the island after intercepting his call. Sabo only survived because he faked his location as explained in this latest chapter.

Carpator Diei posted:

If they could simply eliminate the Revolutionary Army they would have probably done so ages ago. Sabo notably hasn't made anything he saw public yet even though it would be very relevant for the Revolutionaries' cause, so I feel like there's something more to this.

By "cleanse", I meant kill every member of the Revolutionary Army and erase their existence from history. Given how Ivanko and Inazuma only got detained in Impel Down level 5, Sabo probably wants the captains and the others to survive in level 5/6 rather than be killed and erased from history, but if the government is willing to delete an island (and all of its citizens) because Sabo supposedly escape there, the government would probably be as adamant in "deleting" rather than detaining members of the army to remove the possibility that he shared what he witnessed to anyone in the army.

Nonetheless, Sabo probably cannot go public with this information since Morgans would block that story. And given that Morgans is secretly hiding a couple of monarchs who were present at the reverie, Morgans probably knows the whole story and has decided not to publish it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Flair posted:

Looking back chapter 1060, the world government clearly deleted the island after intercepting his call. Sabo only survived because he faked his location as explained in this latest chapter.
Lulusia's destruction was already scheduled and the gorosei thought they just had a lucky break, "he's an unlucky man", "no, this is fate". (This also means Sabo's hands are clean and he didnt get an entire kingdom blown up). Lulusia was probably blown up because of the revolution they just had.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 8, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Flair posted:

Christ what an rear end in a top hat

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
it's not like Sabo knew they'd blow up a whole loving island. he's also immediately spilling the beans to ideally overthrow them

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So why do the gorosei call him unlucky and seem surprised by hearing he's at Lulusia?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

No Wave posted:

Lulusia's destruction was already scheduled and the gorosei thought they just had a lucky break, "he's an unlucky man", "no, this is fate". (This also means Sabo's hands are clean and he didnt get an entire kingdom blown up). Lulusia was probably blown up because of the revolution they just had.

I interpreted that as the government was willing to delete the kingdom more so because of the revolution whereas the governement might have been hesitant (or done a less destructive operation) if he was on an island that did not rebel against the world government. There were eight nations that rebelled during that time but only one got deleted from history, and it was because Sabo was on it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Flair posted:

That is the order of events, but they are not presented as being causally related in any way. They were clearly going to blow up the island anyway, based on the way they were talking.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

i assume sabo faked his location because he knew lulusia was to be destroyed and wants the government to at least temporarily think he may have died there

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

also I doubt whatever insane superweapon which we still don't know anything about could have blown up the place on such short notice. the place had already been taken over by revolutionaries, we see the former monarchy imprisoned but certain the WG is gonna come save them, it makes much more sense that they were already in position to blow the place up and sabo routed the call through there because he thought it was safe (or maybe for reasons the previous poster gave)

if the government had the power to blow up any place in the world on 30 seconds notice they would not be having the problems they're having. it does beg the question why they haven't nuked fullalead yet

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Live action Morgans just needs to be a repurposed Splash Mountain animatronic.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
If One Piece Netflix had Jim Henson’s Creature Shop attached it would be my most anticipated thing going.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

the bitcoin of weed posted:

if the government had the power to blow up any place in the world on 30 seconds notice they would not be having the problems they're having. it does beg the question why they haven't nuked fullalead yet
Or Momoiro Island- they mention in chapter 1060 that they're intercepting a transmission to the Revolutionary leadership in the Kamabakka Queendom. Surely that'd be an island high on the nuke priority list.

The fact of the matter is we know almost nothing about the technology or ability that made the strike on Lulusia possible. It felt like it was a situation akin to a Buster Call, but they didn't have to employ the Navy to enforce it.

Speaking of the Buster Call, I'm still waiting for them to use that phrase to describe what's being done to Egghead. That's already essentially what's going on, and a lot of parallels are being drawn to Ohara, but I think the particular phrase Buster Call has a lot of weight and it's curious that it wasn't used at all in this arc, not even to describe what happened to Ohara.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i miss egg head

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I do wonder how many islands have been erased? Or what the criteria even is, like Ohara didn't get erased, just destroyed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume it's a) a new thing developed by Vegapunk and b) something that requires specific conditions or setup so they can't just drop it anywhere at any time.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I do wonder how many islands have been erased? Or what the criteria even is, like Ohara didn't get erased, just destroyed.

There used to be a bunch of continents until the sky laser cut them up so much it's all islands now.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
If it's an airship or something along those lines, it's also possibly vulnerable to getting spotted by Observation Haki users and subsequently shot down before it can fire its comically huge laser.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The whole Cross Guild thing reminded me it's kindof weird that we haven't really seen any serious attempts at bounty hunting (for pirates) since Whiskey Peak. Could Sword try and claim rewards?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Blackbeard nabbed Ace but I'm not sure if that one really counts.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
My personal theory is that Baroque Works absorbed or killed off every notable bounty hunter in the Grand Line as part of their scheme, and after it was revealed to be a criminal organization most of them were too busy evading the government to get any work done for the remainder of Luffy’s time there. As for the New World, that’s mostly Emperor territory and government presence is sparse, so bounty hunting is impractical and anyone strong enough to do so is probably a pirate instead.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

oddium posted:

i miss egg head

next chapter is gonna go back to egghead for one panel to show bonney still crying in that room

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
there are so many plot beats. it's hard to know what we'll even get next:
Akoji vs Garp
Vegapunk rescue
Kuma - Bonney backstory time
Sabo - Vivi what really happened at Marigeoise / Levely

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I feel like it's about to all tie together. Sabo explaining what really happened tying into why Kuzan is allying with BB which will tie into whatever happens to Egghead.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

I feel like it's about to all tie together. Sabo explaining what really happened tying into why Kuzan is allying with BB which will tie into whatever happens to Egghead.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Bonney/Kuma's past also directly ties into the world government and what Sabo witnessed at Mary Geniose as well. Would explain why we've had to wait for so long for the flashback, we need the context from Sabo first.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 9, 2023

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
The stuff we’re getting here is weird, it feels like stuff we get at the end of an arc, yet it’s happening right in the middle of it

I can only assume Oda needs to setup these pieces urgently to make whatever happens in the final parts of this arc really hit home in terms of consequences for the future.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think odas padding things out so chapter 1100 is the egghead incident

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We got the reveal that Pudding was kidnapped in the same chapter as the cover story showing her getting kidnapped; we are speedrunning the hell out of everything, there's going to be even more fast pacing for a while, I assume until the final battle where all the pieces will be in place.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I think part of the reason bounty hunters aren't a big part of the One Piece mythos is that they don't mesh with the greater themes of pursuing your dreams and fighting to reach the top of the world.

Bounty hunters, by nature, are just people who want to snag some quick money by hunting down criminals. Either you take down complete joke nobodies worth barely enough to buy dinner, or you go after someone with a giant bounty and risk getting killed in doing so. But if you're going to be ballsy enough to go after someone worth 100,000,000 berries, why wouldn't you take the more adventurous approach and head out to sea as a pirate where there's plenty of actual treasure for the taking?

Basically every bounty hunter we've ran across since Zoro has been portrayed as a joke. The most recent one outside of Cross Guild would be someone like Jean Ango. The cactus head dude in Dressrosa who got stomped by Chinjao for being a punk loser.

Bounty hunters are people who chase after pirates who are pursuing their dreams and going for the gold. They end up becoming irrelevant because in a story like One Piece, the people who dream big matter more than someone who would snuff out those dreams for a couple bucks.

I unno. I guess no bounty hunters just doesn't bug me that much. Who the fucks going to be dumb enough to try and capture Jack?

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

jean ango had a fun gimmick and it's too bad he didn't reappear later in the ark with the rest of the coliseum fighters

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i liked that his hat was a cactus

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
king tacos' fandom wiki entry reads like someone trying to pad an essay

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When you get to the New World, bounties essentially become like stocks, they're not real money more than they are a barometer of powerful people's feelings

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

When you get to the New World, bounties essentially become like stocks, they're not real money more than they are a barometer of powerful people's feelings

or, conversely, how much they upset/hurt the feelings of other powerful people and institutions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
There's a possible world out there where Buggy is Shank's first mate and is a happier man.