Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I did, I spent like half an hour looking into it yesterday, but none of the water source systems fit my balcony. Blumat.de right? I'm in Germany but it looks like it's an Austrian company than exports globally

I'd love to have a proper irrigation system but I don't see a way to make it work without dumping a bunch of cash and taking up too much space on a 2m x 1m balcony

e: poo poo, ok I think I got fixated on the wrong system. You're talking about the Blumat Classic which just feeds unpowered from a nearby reservoir, I'll look into it some more today and see if the changes in elevation can work for my setup, thanks!

boofhead fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Blumat classic should work for your setup. I have about 30 of them. If you get something that looks nice you could even deploy it semi permanently as long as your containers have drainage. For temporary and small vacation setup you could just run a handful of blumat with a 5 gallon bucket and lift the bucket to match your planter's height with basically anything like cinder blocks or another bucket turned upside down. They sell both classic and xl sizes of the classic, and the classic are sometimes also marketed as "Jr" so "classic Jr XL" is a thing. If your pots are bigger or your plants are more thirsty go xl. The siphon will easily run water against gravity but with less flow than level or downhill.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chad Sexington posted:

I put in some sad looking bare root trees last fall -- pecans and pawpaws. It's now May and they still look very much like I planted small twigs. Scratching the bark with a fingernail shows they're green and thus technically alive, but how much longer should I be waiting for a sign of life before giving up on them?

They were uh... not terribly inspiring even from the start. Should just have bought from a local nursery.

What else is out in your yard/neighborhood? For instance, are the trees in full leaf? That's one way of checking whether the winter is actually over. Other than that, I'm sorry, and it sucks when plants don't thrive.

Also, I'm kind of appalled by those tiny root systems on a big ol' trunk.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah those are really weird. They look like badly rooted cuttings but I would think getting a pecan cutting that size to root would be more trouble than it's worth vs. just planting seeds or grafting onto seed grown rootstock.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What else is out in your yard/neighborhood? For instance, are the trees in full leaf? That's one way of checking whether the winter is actually over. Other than that, I'm sorry, and it sucks when plants don't thrive.

Also, I'm kind of appalled by those tiny root systems on a big ol' trunk.

Yeah they are uh... a bit behind.

Might try again in fall and then in the meantime try and foster some of the volunteer maples that are popping up everywhere.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Empress Wu-pdate: Holy poo poo she gonna be big

p.s. Hosta hunting starts today, I got approval for at least one hosta garden so I'm v excited to fill it with weird poo poo

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

bagmonkey posted:

Empress Wu-pdate: Holy poo poo she gonna be big

p.s. Hosta hunting starts today, I got approval for at least one hosta garden so I'm v excited to fill it with weird poo poo

Well yeah you picked one of the largest cultivars that exists!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Neeksy posted:

Well yeah you picked one of the largest cultivars that exists!

Oh I know but the past couple of years, Michigan's 2nd and 3rd winters stunted the growth. This year looks like we're getting 100% full growth with no issues!!! I'm excited.

And yeah I'm also about to buy 2 Blue Mammoth's because my s/o thinks they are "smaller than Empress" :) I will let her think that until they are in the ground

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I quite like the fragrant hostas like Mojito or Guacamole, the scent is sweetly floral like a moonflower (ipomoea alba).

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Neeksy posted:

I quite like the fragrant hostas like Mojito or Guacamole, the scent is sweetly floral like a moonflower (ipomoea alba).

I'll take a look for those while I'm hosta hunting! Any other recommendations to keep an eye out for? Right now I mostly have weird looking ones, would love a few fragrant ones too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah they are uh... a bit behind.

Might try again in fall and then in the meantime try and foster some of the volunteer maples that are popping up everywhere.
Yeah, those twigs should be leafing out by now. No pressure, but if you want to, you can hit your garden center and pick up trees in leaf; May is not too late to plant.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

I'll take a look for those while I'm hosta hunting! Any other recommendations to keep an eye out for? Right now I mostly have weird looking ones, would love a few fragrant ones too.

I got mine from here: https://www.nhhostas.com/

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

budget.txt except it's $4000 in hostas

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

bagmonkey posted:

budget.txt except it's $4000 in hostas old fashioned roses bulbs camellias

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I only have one Camellia – High Fragrance – which i'm growing indoors.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Neeksy posted:

I've got a Guacamole out front and it does indeed smell pretty nice when in flower. It seems to be a bit slower to start than some of my others, one of which has already put out two leaves while its friends are still just pointy little shoots sticking out of the dirt.

My front yard is pretty shady (got a big chestnut tree and also a spruce) so I'm glad there's something that will be at least sort of interesting I can put out there. I've got a clump of Solomon's seal getting established and I want to get one or two bleeding hearts out there as well this year, I think. Very basic, I know.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
Heuchera, my beloved. I've been wanting to do a long line of them between my house and my neighbors house where it's super shaded but haven't been able to find anywhere in stock before right now.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
We planted the bare-root apple trees in our new yard last week. After an overnight rainstorm, the third very-heavy rain in a week, the soil around them and in the immediate surroundings had puddled water that didn't drain until about 4pm the next day, after which the soil was just regular-damp but not soggy. This is more rain than we usually get in a short period; it maybe happens a handful of times/year, mostly in the early-mid spring "mud season" (i.e. now). I know it's not ideal that they were sitting in water, but it was only for ~12h, and it should happen very rarely. Does this mean the area we planted them is "too wet" and I need to move them, or as long as it stays a rare event, it should be fine and I'm better to leave them be?

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 10, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lakitu7 posted:

We planted the bare-root apple trees in our new yard last week. After an overnight rainstorm, the third very-heavy rain in a week, the soil around them and in the immediate surroundings had puddled water that didn't drain until about 4pm the next day, after which the soil was just regular-damp but not soggy. This is more rain than we usually get in a short period; it maybe happens a handful of times/year, mostly in the early-mid spring "mud season" (i.e. now). I know it's not ideal that they were sitting in water, but it was only for ~12h, and it should happen very rarely. Does this mean the area we planted them is "too wet" and I need to move them, or as long as it stays a rare event, it should be fine and I'm better to leave them be?
My Googling says that you're fine unless the soil stays wet for a week or more. Cherries are very cranky about wet feet, but apples just go with it.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

ScamWhaleHolyGrail posted:

Heuchera, my beloved. I've been wanting to do a long line of them between my house and my neighbors house where it's super shaded but haven't been able to find anywhere in stock before right now.

I've tried them and they always die :smith:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Mad Hamish posted:

I've got a Guacamole out front and it does indeed smell pretty nice when in flower. It seems to be a bit slower to start than some of my others, one of which has already put out two leaves while its friends are still just pointy little shoots sticking out of the dirt.

My front yard is pretty shady (got a big chestnut tree and also a spruce) so I'm glad there's something that will be at least sort of interesting I can put out there. I've got a clump of Solomon's seal getting established and I want to get one or two bleeding hearts out there as well this year, I think. Very basic, I know.
Nah that all sounds quite nice to me. I guess snails and slugs aren't as much of an issue where you are, because if I tried putting a hosta out where I am, especially this year, it'd be devoured so fast.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Some gardeny shots

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

how's the fragrance on that magnolia?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nice! Heady. Nothing compared to the mock oranges, but still quite lovely.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My Googling says that you're fine unless the soil stays wet for a week or more. Cherries are very cranky about wet feet, but apples just go with it.

Thanks! We've gotten some more rain, and still they're only sitting in water for <24h each time. So far they seem alright! They're also starting to bud and leaf out, coming out of dormancy much faster than the 4-6 weeks I read to expect, which I'm assuming is a good thing. So far, it's good!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
does anyone know where i can buy arguta or kolomikta kiwi pollen mail-order? my females have bloomed but not my males, and i’m hoping to hand-pollinate for an off chance at fruit!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Goosing the gooseberries

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Any good recs for fast growing/spreading pollinators that could grow in containers on a balcony?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

dew worm posted:

Any good recs for fast growing/spreading pollinators that could grow in containers on a balcony?

Mints

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
any recommendations for hats? I have a bunch of baseball caps and a widebrim straw boater that I occasionally wear in the yard but I'd love some options for quality garden/sweat/work-friendly headwear

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mints are certainly fast, but not so much with the pollination. They do bloom, but not in great quantities and I never see the bees swarming them the way they do my thyme and rosemary. How much sunlight does your balcony get? Sweet alyssum is pretty and smells nice and blooms most of the summer and bees adore it.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

My apple tree is blooming! Yes, I know, it's far too big and it haven't been pruned in decades, but good God that flower display is wonderful and there's bees going absolutely nuts up there right now.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

any recommendations for hats? I have a bunch of baseball caps and a widebrim straw boater that I occasionally wear in the yard but I'd love some options for quality garden/sweat/work-friendly headwear

One of those floppy crushed wool outback hats

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

My apple tree is blooming! Yes, I know, it's far too big and it haven't been pruned in decades, but good God that flower display is wonderful and there's bees going absolutely nuts up there right now.
Glorious. That's a beautiful tree. Frankly, a mature apple produces far more apples than one household will eat, even accounting for freezing lots of applesauce, and a lot of the purpose of pruning is to maximize fruit.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I really like my garden hat from Hemlock Hat Company. I thought the drawcord would get in the way and was overkill, but I’m so glad the hat has that feature.

https://www.hemlockhatco.com/collections/lifeguard-hats

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Mints are certainly fast, but not so much with the pollination. They do bloom, but not in great quantities and I never see the bees swarming them the way they do my thyme and rosemary. How much sunlight does your balcony get? Sweet alyssum is pretty and smells nice and blooms most of the summer and bees adore it.

I actually haven’t moved in yet. It’s north facing so it might be mostly indirect?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

dew worm posted:

I actually haven’t moved in yet. It’s north facing so it might be mostly indirect?

Yup, you need something that likes low light. Lemme think.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you only want to spend :10bux: this hat has served me well. It is also available in other colors and price points (and 2 packs) with the exact same images from several six-letter name companies, so check around if this is something that might work for you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dew Worm, look at this writeup on fuchsias and see if your balcony might work. They're gloriously beautiful, they bloom all summer, and bees and butterflies love them. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/fuchsia/growing-fuchsia-flower.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Thanks, I’ll check that out. Might have to wait until I move in to really see how much light it gets.