Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Residency Evil posted:

Buncha people realizing They Are Old ITT.

I already had the most brutal psychic damage possible when an intern in our office, who is starting law school at the end of this year, told me he wasn't that familiar with 9/11 because it happened before he was born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Just look at all those square feet for such a low, low price.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

Do normal people buy 170 dollar sheet sets? Is that just how much they cost? Clearly there's cheaper sheets out there, which is what I have been buying because 170 dollars for sheets seems insane, but is it?

$170 would be pretty cheap for a set of fancy linen sheets.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

Do normal people buy 170 dollar sheet sets? Is that just how much they cost? Clearly there's cheaper sheets out there, which is what I have been buying because 170 dollars for sheets seems insane, but is it?
Clearly not everybody, but beds are something I don't mind spending a lot of money on. Expensive bedding tends to outlast cheap bedding, and for me at least, it's definitely way more comfortable. When I break it down on a per-use or per-hour basis, it's way cheap, for something that sees a metric fuckton of use. Figure two sets of bedding probably lasts ten years, that's about $35/year, $0.10 a night.

The JC Penney ones that Wirecutter recommends are also supposed to be similarly nice for about half the cost, but I can afford something a bit nicer, and sleep is something I feel like spending 100% more on for a 10% gain is worthwhile in the high-two digit range.

nomad2020 posted:

$170 would be pretty cheap for a set of fancy linen sheets.

Yeah, you can definitely go a lot more expensive. Like, ten times more expensive pretty easily. Linen sheets are hot as gently caress, though; if breathability weren't such a priority for me, I would absolutely drop that kind of dosh. Sleep is loving important, and anything you can do to upgrade the quality of your sleep for relatively small percentages of your income is money well spent.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 9, 2023

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

totalnewbie posted:

the wirecutter recommended linen sheet set is like $400, which is like half the cost of a nice suit and you use them every day for, like, years. They make a nice anniversary present. Everyone’s budget is different but good linen sheets are pretty amazing.

that said there are crazy Bella notte ones that are like $350 for just a single queen sheet and over $1000 for a set. :pwn:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
When did the cost of sheets and mattresses start to have so much overlap? You can get decent 10" full size mattresses for less than $150 shipped now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

When did the cost of sheets and mattresses start to have so much overlap? You can get decent 10" full size mattresses for less than $150 shipped now.

The cost of acceptable quality mattresses plummeted as soon as multi layer foam mattresses became popular enough for multiple "bed in a box" companies to start racing to the bottom. Previous to this the minimum cost of entry was spending $300+ on the absolutely cheapest mattress and box spring and they would be uncomfortable and not last more than a few years.

I dunno about $170 sheets, that's far from minimum acceptable quality level.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

totalnewbie posted:

No they don't. I purchase all my sheets from Costco for $20, have received compliments from guests, and they last a few years before I retire them. A $170 set of sheets would have to last 25 years to break even. Plus I get multiple designs to enjoy. To calculate the value of the sheets on a per hour basis is truly some economic science brain that ignores real human behavior.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn’t a lot of the shipped mattress stuff SV investor subsidized? Like how much longer can that go on, just shipping the drat thing to your door has to be most of the out of pocket cost.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I’d argue that calling a dashboard light an “emoji” misses the point. Emojis, as their name suggests, are supposed to be for expressing an emotion in text. My check engine light is not expressing emotion.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Scratch Monkey posted:

I’d argue that calling a dashboard light an “emoji” misses the point. Emojis, as their name suggests, are supposed to be for expressing an emotion in text. My check engine light is not expressing emotion.

Though if the check engine light was just a blinking sad face with $$ above it, I'd accept that as accurate.

quote:

Isn’t a lot of the shipped mattress stuff SV investor subsidized? Like how much longer can that go on, just shipping the drat thing to your door has to be most of the out of pocket cost.

Think of it as getting in on a really nice discount while it lasts. The entire mattress industry from top to bottom is sleazy marketing poo poo, so enjoy cheap-but-acceptable while you can, because eventually the cycle will go cheap-but-awful, and then revert back to expensive-but-awful and we'll never get acceptable ever again.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

Though if the check engine light was just a blinking sad face with $$ above it, I'd accept that as accurate.

Multiple mechanics I know refer to it unironically as "the money light". In a state where you need to pass annual emissions that's pretty spot on.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

You can get decent sheets out of Costco for like $30. I am very lucky, and this is absolutely a luxury that I feel is a worthwhile use of my money. I also have a Purple 2 mattress, which isn't wildly expensive but is a lot more than $150.

Like, if a $3000 mattress were more comfortable for me, I would spend that without a second thought. Anything that comes between you and the floor is worth spending money on if you can afford it: shoes, mattresses, floors, rugs. People will spend $50,000 on a car that's going to last eight years that they're going to spend like 90 minutes a day in but balk at spending a tenth of that on a bed that's going to last ten years that they're going to spend five times as much time in.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

No they don't. I purchase all my sheets from Costco for $20, have received compliments from guests, and they last a few years before I retire them. A $170 set of sheets would have to last 25 years to break even. Plus I get multiple designs to enjoy. To calculate the value of the sheets on a per hour basis is truly some economic science brain that ignores real human behavior.
You can live off of rice and beans for $0.15 per meal, why would you buy beef or asparagus or noodles or tofu or chicken...?

My old sheets that I got from Costco are my guest sheets, and they're fine, but these are an upgrade that is absolutely worthwhile.

What kind of car do you own, and why isn't it a 2007 Ford Fiesta? Or why isn't it no car? I can tell you that I don't have a car, and it has greatly improved my quality of life, and is so unbelievably cheaper than owning a car. I can probably buy ten sets of LLBean sheets a year for what you spend on your car, and I'll never have to spend a Saturday at the mechanic or hours upon hours driving around looking for parking every year because of my sheets.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You're free to buy whatever sheets you want, it's no skin off my nose. I responded to the questions "do most people do this" which is a no, and added a comment about cost per night used which is a weird lens to view life through. I personally don't have much sheet preference at all, so I'd rather spend the other $150 on beef and chicken.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

buffalo all day posted:

the wirecutter recommended linen sheet set is like $400, which is like half the cost of a nice suit and you use them every day for, like, years. They make a nice anniversary present. Everyone’s budget is different but good linen sheets are pretty amazing.

that said there are crazy Bella notte ones that are like $350 for just a single queen sheet and over $1000 for a set. :pwn:

Linen sheets are awesome, but putting them in the dryer *significantly* shortened their lifespan.

I dunno if I'm up for line drying another set in my backyard like some sort of medieval french peasant.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

You're in the bwm thread where you admitted your purchase was a luxury, you don't need to justify it as worthwhile and start trying to prove you're more frugal in other ways than people who think it's excessive.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

You're free to buy whatever sheets you want, it's no skin off my nose. I responded to the questions "do most people do this" which is a no, and added a comment about cost per night used which is a weird lens to view life through. I personally don't have much sheet preference at all, so I'd rather spend the other $150 on beef and chicken.
I'm not gonna say I don't have at least a mild case of engineer-brain, but I think cost-per-use or cost-per-hour is a great lens to look at for purchases of relatively durable goods. And marginal gain is another good way to evaluate it.

Like, I'm definitely not gonna begrudge you your beef and chicken spending, or being happy with your cheap sheets; more power to you (I will begrudge you the car a bit, though, but only inasmuch as it is a societal bad). But I don't think being willing to spend more on beds is irrational, even for relatively small marginal gains; I just have different values than you do. It might be slightly bad with money, but it's definitely good with life.

How do you evaluate your durable goods purchases, if not price-per-use/-hour?

surc posted:

You're in the bwm thread where you admitted your purchase was a luxury, you don't need to justify it as worthwhile and start trying to prove you're more frugal in other ways than people who think it's excessive.

I have emotions about beds.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Fwiw spending money on sheets is absolutely something you should do if you can.

Basically anything that touches your body for significant fractions of the day is worth spending more on. For me it’s reaching into my pocket to get glasses nicer than what my vision coverage will pay for.

See also: computer chairs if you’re a typical goon.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Baddog posted:

Linen sheets are awesome, but putting them in the dryer *significantly* shortened their lifespan.

I dunno if I'm up for line drying another set in my backyard like some sort of medieval french peasant.

I miss line-drying stuff. Do it correctly and it basically irons the stuff for you, plus it just smells so nice usually. The joy of condos - nowhere to line dry anything. :(

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sundae posted:

I miss line-drying stuff. Do it correctly and it basically irons the stuff for you, plus it just smells so nice usually. The joy of condos - nowhere to line dry anything. :(
There was a fun scam in the 1970s where you'd see mail-order ads for a "Solar-powered clothes dryer" that was guaranteed to work. You'd send away your :20bux: and in return you'd get a bag with a length of clothesline and a dozen clothespins. :rimshot:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Purple Softstretch sheets are 100% worth the cost. Amazingly comfortable sheets

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sundae posted:

Buy yourself some indoor clothes racks. We did a few decades in apartments with them just fine.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
some of us sleep just fine on the ground with a rough wool blanket, thank you very much

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

some of us sleep just fine on the ground with a rough wool blanket, thank you very much

Look at richy rich here with his fancy bourgeois wood blanket.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i have a "expensive" refurbed office chair b/c i work from home now and sit on my rear end for minimum 8 hours. i am sure i could get by with that folding chair i have and it'd be a lot cheaper but i like my spine to last another 10 years or so.

i do have basic bedsheets though, so i guess i'm going to start looking for nicer linens now.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Cyrano4747 posted:

Buy yourself some indoor clothes racks. We did a few decades in apartments with them just fine.

Seconding this. It's extra nice since it reduces the amount of quarters I go through, but a clothes rack is handy to have in general.

RE sheets chat, I've had zero complaints about sheets I've used(mostly from target, current set was maybe $50-60 on Amazon and only bought because I wanted deep pocket sheets), and I don't think I've ever spent triple digits on sheets in my life. Not everyone is going to notice or care about the difference with fancy $100+ sheets - obviously some people do, but it's far from common or a necessity.

The actual bed, on the other hand, is absolutely not something you should cheap out on if you can avoid it(although this still isn't the same as just buying the most expensive one).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbhcRKsRwFM

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Cyrano4747 posted:

Fwiw spending money on sheets is absolutely something you should do if you can.
I mean, if you don't know what you're missing, are you really missing it? I worry about upgrading everything to "luxury" as fast as possible and then getting used to it (because that's what human brains do) and then everything normal is bad from then on. It's like you're advocating speedrunning lifestyle upgrades.

Count me on team Ross sheets + Ikea futon mattress. The Ikea futon is the best mattress I know, even when I was pregnant I didn't want to sleep on anything else.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Just want to point out that the sheet evangelist is a mf who like ten pages ago had a single set of sheets, rarely did laundry, and had 15k worth of steam purchases

Edit I love measuring cost per hour of use as just the most insanely stupid metric of all time

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its fine if youre buying 30,000 sheets for a hotel chain or some poo poo

for personal accounting tho lol

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just want to point out that the sheet evangelist is a mf who like ten pages ago had a single set of sheets, rarely did laundry, and had 15k worth of steam purchases

Edit I love measuring cost per hour of use as just the most insanely stupid metric of all time

I lease my sheets and measure them in cost per hour per month

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have hair 24/7 but am only at home some of the time, thus my hair budget is larger than my housing budget.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

moana posted:

I mean, if you don't know what you're missing, are you really missing it? I worry about upgrading everything to "luxury" as fast as possible and then getting used to it (because that's what human brains do) and then everything normal is bad from then on. It's like you're advocating speedrunning lifestyle upgrades.

Count me on team Ross sheets + Ikea futon mattress. The Ikea futon is the best mattress I know, even when I was pregnant I didn't want to sleep on anything else.

“A luxury, once enjoyed, becomes a necessity.”

― C Northcote Parkinson

I love hunting down a good set of sheets at Ross/TJ/HG/Marshalls, and if I need some and can't find them there, the Costco 680 thread count are pretty solid for the money.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i sleep in a racing car

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Spokes posted:

i sleep in a racing car

I sleep in a big bed with your wife.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I want to see some bedsheet reviews, let me know if that 1000 thread count cashmere sheets are worth it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

moana posted:

Eh yes and no. Part of the issue is that the specific stuff I’m talking about can affect your quality of sleep, and that’s one of those things where yeah you can go for years feeling vaguely lovely because you’re not sleeping well.

If someone has a setup that’s working for them and costs nothing more power to them, but cool sheets (or the reverse - flannel sheets are amazing if you live someplace that gets cold in the winter) can really help get a solid nights sleep.

At the end of the day it’s very GWM to spend what money you have on ways that maximize your quality of life. Good sheets aren’t thing number one, but they’re on the list.

Years ago I worked food service and one of the real old hands was an evangelist for saving up money every paycheck for good work shoes. She was absolutely right, at the end of a poo poo shift her feet were in better shape than people half her age.

This is also why I mentioned computer chairs. The typical good in front of a PC 8+ hours a day will absolutely benefit their QOL by getting a good chair that won’t wreck their back. Don’t need to go full Herman Miller but an upgrade from the Target Special to something ~$200-400 is well worth the money.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Spending money for quality shoes, chairs and beds was drilled into me early on by a former boss, and she was 100% right that it will drastically improve your quality of life in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Spending money for quality shoes, chairs and beds was drilled into me early on by a former boss, and she was 100% right that it will drastically improve your quality of life in the long run.

Yeah I always heard shoes, beds, chairs, and tires.

Not like buy the most expensive tires, but maintain and replace when needed because a crash is more expensive than a new set of tires.