Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Have you tried not getting old?

Pretty sure there's only one way to avoid getting old and I've got way too much going for me to consider it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Slowly working away on baby's first photo etch. I hope it will be worth the effort in the end.

I'm slowly starting to get the hang of the bending. Only glued a few parts to my fingers and starting to enjoy it more now.

Working on not using too much super glue now which is has been harder. I've been using a cut off sewing needle and thin glue with limited success.

I learned quickly to first prep the photo etch, then fill the holes, and only then cut plastic away.

I have lovely eyesight and astigmatism too! I've found that I almost can't have enough light on my space. A bright shop light and two desk lights really help the eyes from straining.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Gewehr 43 posted:

Pretty sure there's only one way to avoid getting old and I've got way too much going for me to consider it. :)

The other guys in my model club always ask how I'm able to work with 1/700 photoetch and my stock reply is that I'm still only 36 and they couple of decades on me so I'm trying to make the most of my eyesight while I still have it, before I have to move up a scale or start wearing an optivisor.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Gewehr 43 posted:

Depends: do you have a bathtub and access to homeless people?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Locator posted:

I wear progressive lens glasses so I can focus at all distances. Took a bit of time to get used to them the first time, but now I wouldn't be without them.
I was considering that but it seems my eyes are aging towards the norm. I used to have ridiculous vision for small detail and now it's just pretty good. I'll wait and see how things progress the other side of 40 if switching focal length looks like it's gonna cause me problems.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Braved two old and terrible kits to make a sort of okay result I guess.

The gun is the Zvezda 122 mm M-30. This is quite an old kit that wasn't good when it came out. The mold halves clearly don't line up correctly. Cleanup is a pretty huge chore and any rod-like part that come with the kit should straight up be replaced.

The crew is from MiniArt. I've had some excellent figures from them, which is why these were extra disappointing. The detail is very soft, especially on the bodies. For some bizarre reason half of the heads included in the kit have a mold line running right down the center, making it a pain to clean up.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
For two older and not great fitting kits it looks great!
Is Zvezda a company that has improved over time or has it remained comparatively not great?
I remain jealous of my fellow modelers who are able to work with figures.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I can only speak for their 1/100 tanks and trucks, but they've come on in leaps and bounds since they started working in that scale. It'd be odd if their larger kits hadn't too.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arquinsiel posted:

I can only speak for their 1/100 tanks and trucks, but they've come on in leaps and bounds since they started working in that scale. It'd be odd if their larger kits hadn't too.

The 1:35 stuff of theirs I've done is overall pretty good but with some almost dragon level instructions issues, like diagrams showing parts upside down or where it's straight up impossible to see how parts go together or even where. It's all surmountable, just a bit frustrating.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've done one of their 1/144 planes, and it was acceptable. A lot fewer parts than other kits at that scale, but it looks like what it's supposed to be. I hope to get to their 1/144 IL-2 this summer.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
They have some interesting kits. I'm interested in the cold-war Warsaw pact vehicles.

Seeing million dollar companies do those kinds of mistakes makes me feel much better about my own CAD work.

Got my crapguns!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

therunningman posted:

They have some interesting kits. I'm interested in the cold-war Warsaw pact vehicles.

Seeing million dollar companies do those kinds of mistakes makes me feel much better about my own CAD work.

Got my crapguns!

That M16A4 looks a lot more like an M203 with hosed up proportions and it seems they are launching a large dildo out of the grenade launcher. Crapgun indeed.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

therunningman posted:

For two older and not great fitting kits it looks great!
Is Zvezda a company that has improved over time or has it remained comparatively not great?
I remain jealous of my fellow modelers who are able to work with figures.

Zvezda kits from the 90s are like Tamiya kits from the 70s. Their kits from the 2000s are like Dragon kits from the 90s and by the 2010s they caught up with the industry. The new stuff is absolutely top notch.

therunningman posted:

Got my crapguns!

:yeah:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Just ordered the Tamiya European Theatre Easy Eight tank and think I want to branch out into aftermarket decals since everyone and their brother has made this with the standard decals.

I specifically do not want to make Fury, and would like to keep WWII markings on it for reasons I'm not even sure of, so I don't have a lot of choice. I've found this set on ebay, but are Star Decals any good?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Good news, Fury is an M4A2 and that's an M4A3, so you can't make it anyway.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

Good news, Fury is an M4A2 and that's an M4A3, so you can't make it anyway.

Sounds like a perfect way to troll a modeling convention imo

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Vorenus posted:

Sounds like a perfect way to troll a modeling convention imo

M4A4(76)W Calliope with North Africa markings, HVSS running gear with T84 tracks.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Some I’m watching old, old monster mania model videos and they showed a technique I haven’t seen before of using pastels to make shading effects by grinding it up on sand paper then brushing it on to the figures surface. Is that still something useful to use or has the ease of getting an airbrush superseded that for shading purposes?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I got a bottle of this stuff to thin my Vallejo paints:

Is it any better than just thinning with water?

Edit: I forgot to add I only brush paint Vallejo.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

I got a bottle of this stuff to thin my Vallejo paints:

Is it any better than just thinning with water?

Edit: I forgot to add I only brush paint Vallejo.

That's what I tend to use - I dunno if it's necessarily better than water, but I dunno water always seemed to give a weird consistency to some of my paints that that stuff doesn't

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Some I’m watching old, old monster mania model videos and they showed a technique I haven’t seen before of using pastels to make shading effects by grinding it up on sand paper then brushing it on to the figures surface. Is that still something useful to use or has the ease of getting an airbrush superseded that for shading purposes?

I don't know about shading, but using powders is a common way of adding weathering. I have some I use for smoke, dust and grime

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yep, it's still a very valid technique. Pastels and dry pigments are a staple of the weathering and shading routine.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gewehr 43 posted:

Yep, it's still a very valid technique. Pastels and dry pigments are a staple of the weathering and shading routine.

Well that’s good to know. In all my searches of how to build a model I’ve never actually come across anyone mentioning this but I’d like to give it a go cause the video had some really impressive looking results. Is there any particular type of pastels that should be used?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
All of the major suppliers, ie AK Interactive, Ammo, Vallejo, etc etc, have there own lines of powdered pigments. Mostly earth tones though, as their meant for military modeling.

If you want brighter primary colors, you can go the aforementioned route of sanding an artists pastel stick. Any art supply store will have a few options for collections of pastel sticks. Nupastel is a popular brand. If you want something a bit nicer, Pan-Pastel has powdered pigments in numerous shades. They're a bit pricier, but they come in these nice flat disc containers that you can tap a brush or sponge into to pick up the powder. You can get them in singles, or in multi packs which come with a selection of applicators and sponges too.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
If you want to grind pastels, get cheap ones. The useful part of them are the earth pigments, and the rest of the pastel brick is just different formulations of binder.

The fancy weathering powders are likewise just pre-mixed earth pigments. If you want convenience, they're all basically interchangeable.

Alternatively, get some cheap jars of pigments made up for folks who mix their own paint. I got an assortment of colors, and I don't think I'll run out of my starting jars in a lifetime of model work.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Timely chat. I just got some earth tone dollar store eyeshadow and will report back how well that works. Lot of cheap old dudes swear by it.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

If you have money to throw about then Tamiya do a range of 'weathering master' sets that look like little eyeshadow compacts with 3 pigments in each.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tidal wave emulator posted:

If you have money to throw about
Let me stop you right there. I'm not exactly cheap, but I do get a special nerd thrill from finding the equivalent-but-cheaper version of things, so this is right up my personal alley.

Modeling seems especially tailored to this, BTW, especially thinking about the special place that Future floor polish holds in everyone's heart. Like, are the $20 glass files sold with a games workshop logo the same thing as the $4 ALLCAPS brand ones sold in the beauty supplies section? Only one way to find out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I mean... yes? The GW files are metal and very different to the sandpaper on foamboard beauty supplies ones.

They're not at all different from the ~4 Unit Currency Aldi steel files though.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

tidal wave emulator posted:

If you have money to throw about then Tamiya do a range of 'weathering master' sets that look like little eyeshadow compacts with 3 pigments in each.

I bought the entire set of these and they're awesome. The metal powders are amazing when you have the right situation to use them. You basically rub them on with a little sponge applicator over a black basecoat and get this great worn metal effect in a variety of different shades (Titanium, Gunmetal, Aluminum etc).
They also have heat effects in blue and red that you can rub onto exhausts to get the discoloring effect.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Arquinsiel posted:

I mean... yes? The GW files are metal and very different to the sandpaper on foamboard beauty supplies ones.

Not sure about "GW" files, but really good Swiss files are a world away from the crappy metal files they sell in hobby shops.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

I use Tamiya's diamond file for cleaning up photo etch nubs and it was 100% worth the £20 or whatever I spent on it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The Locator posted:

Not sure about "GW" files, but really good Swiss files are a world away from the crappy metal files they sell in hobby shops.

Swiss as in made by the Swiss or is there a brand called Swiss

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Swiss as in made by the Swiss or is there a brand called Swiss

Swiss files refers to Swiss pattern, not sure exactly what that means but generally very high quality files. The brands I mostly have are Valorbe and Grobet. I understand Nicholson are also very good.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bucnasti posted:

I bought the entire set of these and they're awesome. The metal powders are amazing when you have the right situation to use them. You basically rub them on with a little sponge applicator over a black basecoat and get this great worn metal effect in a variety of different shades (Titanium, Gunmetal, Aluminum etc).
They also have heat effects in blue and red that you can rub onto exhausts to get the discoloring effect.

I'll throw my hat into the opposite side of the ring and say I hate the Tamiya powders. They're hard, chalky, they chew up the applicator in no time, and they're so close together in the container that you'll end up fouling the colors together.

Of cours, I still have mine on the shelf.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
I just bought a bag of 100 eyeshadow applicators from a pharmacy :shrug:

The Locator posted:

GW tools are generally overpriced and poor quality compared to what you get in the hardware aisle of any random supermarket. My dad's an aircraft mechanic though so I grew up knowing that tools are disposable.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'll throw my hat into the opposite side of the ring and say I hate the Tamiya powders. They're hard, chalky, they chew up the applicator in no time, and they're so close together in the container that you'll end up fouling the colors together.

Of cours, I still have mine on the shelf.

I wasn't a fan either. I didn't think they applied in anything like a scale realistic way.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Arquinsiel posted:

I believe he was talking about glass files specifically. There's no difference between pharmacy/aliexpress and "hobby brand" glass files in my experience.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Where is the term "glass file" from? I've never heard that one before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Where is the term "glass file" from? I've never heard that one before.

The file itself is actually made of glass, not metal.

Not my photo: