Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
All according to Karasu*

*Karasu means crow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Even if Shanks is that powerful now, that was like 15 years ago.

He should've still been at high level, he was sparring with Mihawk and had a bounty of a billion then

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kild posted:

He should've still been at high level, he was sparring with Mihawk and had a bounty of a billion then

*Fraudhawk

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

how the gently caress did the colossal sea monster with giant sharp teeth bite a man’s arm off. truly the core mystery of one piece. i mean did the sea king even know what shanks’s bounty was

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Seriously idk why people call it a plot hole. We havent even gotten the sea king's douriki yet.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
erm you really expect a division captain of whitebeard to not be able to simply block the magma with his haki? heh, methinks a plothole is afoot

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
That Lord of the Coast eating Shanks' arm stuff ain't a plothole. That's just what it looks like when an actual goddamn sea monster rolls a nat 20.

I don't find it hard to believe that a giant sea serpent with swords for teeth might be able to do some damage if it bites you when you're off your game.

Also maybe its lifespan is poo poo-short and Luffy's first win was him smacking an elderly animal around.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Kild posted:

Yeah but there's high level and then there's "we need an elaborate 14 point plan to emotionally destroy this old woman because otherwise no weapon forged by man can injure her" level.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Desumaytah posted:

Also maybe its lifespan is poo poo-short and Luffy's first win was him smacking an elderly animal around.

Yep, the only other time shanks took damage was vs Blackbeard so the lord of the sea was at least blackbeard level but clearly fell off.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Yeah but there's high level and then there's "we need an elaborate 14 point plan to emotionally destroy this old woman because otherwise no weapon forged by man can injure her" level.

Need a 15 point plan for shanks or you wind up like useless mid

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The animation for almost that entire episode was top notch, Queen going over the side at the end was done so well. Of course they immediately previewed that the next episode would be a clip show :cripes:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

In terms of Shanks' motivation, I think it would make some sense if his reason for working with the government is that he doesn't want the One Piece to be found. He didn't reach Laugh Tale but Roger did tell him something, and maybe there's some consequence of its discovery he wants to avoid. He basically did nothing while Big Mom and Kaido's stalemate largely guaranteed that no-one could find it, and only started moving once that balance was broken. Now there's a real threat from both Luffy and Blackbeard he wants to get there first and prevent someone else from finding it and 'changing the world'.

Yeah this is what I think too. Finding the One Piece will drastically change the world in unknown ways, and a lot of people will probably die in the process. Shanks thinks it’s better to maintain the status quo, even if some things aren’t perfect(the World government being tyrants), because it might get worse. Luffy represents Change/Freedom and thus will naturally come into conflict with him.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

RatHat posted:

Yeah this is what I think too. Finding the One Piece will drastically change the world in unknown ways, and a lot of people will probably die in the process. Shanks thinks it’s better to maintain the status quo, even if some things aren’t perfect(the World government being tyrants), because it might get worse. Luffy represents Change/Freedom and thus will naturally come into conflict with him.
I think the current world government/celestial dragon situation is untenable and everyone knows this. Even Akainu at this point. The One Piece represents some kind of solution to this and Blackbeard will resolve things violently/horribly and Luffy has a chance to resolve them in some way that Shanks likes, but that Shanks is incapable of doing himself and the revolutionaries can't do on their own. It's hard to know what it could possibly be.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Shanks realizes the best option is to let Buggy get the One Piece, what a perfect ending

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think shanks ultimately is taking actions with Luffy to push him forward to be the one to topple the current world power structure. Shanks can work to keep the peace and do good things as a pirate, and even influence events to bring about Luffy's rise, but at the end of the day he has some compelling reason to be the defender of the world nobles, even if he doesn't want to be. I have to assume whatever reason Roger defended the Celestial Dragons at God Valley is the same reason Shanks has to play that role too. It's probably also what Roger whispered to him before he died.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

why didn’t shanks simply use his perfect observational haki to see what the bandits were going to do

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inadequately posted:

I think people tend to make that assumption because that was basically true of all the other Emperors we've seen. Kaido and Big Mom were pretty much impervious to actual physical damage - the heroes had to resort to attacking them from the inside with Law's fruit/haki - and Whitebeard was implied to have been on the same tier before he grew old and sick.

In Big Mom's case she was only physically impervious to damage cause she had like, subconsciously powered her body with haki - like part of the initial plot to assassinate her is because when the photo of Caramel was damaged, she lost her ability to keep the haki up to the point where a simple fall was enough to scrape her knee.

In Film Red, Shanks and his crew allow themselves to get beat up by civilians under Uta's control because protecting themselves with haki would result in the civilians getting hurt (they are capable of using haki, as seen when Ben uses Armament to save a civilian from getting shot by a Marine) - Shanks legit has bruises on his face and a bit of blood around his mouth.

A sleeping Garp got cut by Morgan, the second antagonist of the series and a dude who was no match for pre-Grand Line Luffy or Zoro. Dadan also bruises him a bit when attacking him after Ace's death.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Why didn't Lucky Roux, demonstrably the fastest man in the Grand Line, save Luffy instead?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Why didn't Benn Beckman, the most Beckman of Benns, not Benn Luffy's Beckman?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Why didn't Lucky Roux, demonstrably the fastest man in the Grand Line, save Luffy instead?

This.

I think Lucky Roux might be the bad guy.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

If I'm wrong about any of my theories posted earlier, I'll certainly be eating Karasu

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

A sleeping Garp got cut by Morgan, the second antagonist of the series and a dude who was no match for pre-Grand Line Luffy or Zoro. Dadan also bruises him a bit when attacking him after Ace's death.

Since both Whitebeard and Big Mom are both shown to be capable of defending themselves in their sleep, Garp’s vulnerability there is also a bit odd in retrospect. I guess Garp’s narcolepsy is his special weakness.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Funky Valentine posted:

VileLL posted:

why didn’t shanks simply use his perfect observational haki to see what the bandits were going to do

Waffleman_ posted:

cgfreak posted:

he was totally wasted. Just completely and utterly blasted.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Since both Whitebeard and Big Mom are both shown to be capable of defending themselves in their sleep, Garp’s vulnerability there is also a bit odd in retrospect. I guess Garp’s narcolepsy is his special weakness.

Honestly I just took it for granted it was like being scratched to him and utterly insignificant, everyone thought he was dead because he just kept sleeping after getting slashed up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A thing to note in One Piece is that even high level guys will get messed up by a gun if they are hit by a shot. Kaido and Big Mom are like notable for being too durable for that stuff to harm them.

The Teeth of a sea king would easily rip Shanks arm off. He made a quick decision and lost his arm, he scared it off with a glare after, so he could have handled it easy had he not been in a rush.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah, regardless of how powerful Shanks is or is not at the time, it doesn't matter, because his focus isn't defeating the Lord of the Coast. It's saving Luffy's life, he could have potentially wrecked the Sea King, but there's no guarantee he'd save Luffy doing so.

He's ignoring the monster, because it matters less to him that it can (and does) bite his arm off than Luffy's survival. It's that simple (hopefully).

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I wanna know why Belo Betty's deputy commander has a robot arm but Shanks doesn't.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Why didnt luffy simply ask the sea king to gently caress off or rescue him

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Why didn't shanks get vegapunk to grow a replacement

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, regardless of how powerful Shanks is or is not at the time, it doesn't matter, because his focus isn't defeating the Lord of the Coast. It's saving Luffy's life, he could have potentially wrecked the Sea King, but there's no guarantee he'd save Luffy doing so.

He's ignoring the monster, because it matters less to him that it can (and does) bite his arm off than Luffy's survival. It's that simple (hopefully).

Rather recently we saw Shanks super speed across a much larger chunk of ocean to a stomp a rude dude in a instant, truth told I think he could have finessed it better.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Why is a giant rear end in a top hat fish hanging around the coast when Garp has passed through like a dozen times and could punch it to death?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Garp ain't there now

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Shanks was obvs weak as hell back then, he spent over a year needing a freaking home base in Luffy's village. Luffy however spends less than a month aimlessly wandering the sea becomes the most dangerous man in the East.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Maybe Shanks let the Sea King take his arm. Maybe Shanks let Blackbeard gently caress up his face. Maybe Shanks actively looks for chances to plausibly get a cool guy kinda wound because he's more invested in his self image then he lets on, personal convenience be damned.

Shanks will be the guy with the eye patch after very unconvincingly letting Buggy poke it with a knife in an attack the latter never thought would work.

Shanks was only made at Luffy for doing a scar the direct way without propping up a cool story around it.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 12, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

notwithyourheart posted:

ah that makes much more sense. thank you very much.

e: i don’t usually forget one piece so i think i better bang out a full reread just to be safe

i actually got it a bit mixed up lol, the other ex-cp9 members only appeared as cp0 in film red before. in the earlier levely chapters we only saw luffy/kaku/stussy but it's pretty clear the others are also here as cp0 now

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

No Wave posted:

gently caress. imagine two shanks vs three blackbeards.

lol

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

good ch.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lol this a hxh ref?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Why didn't shanks get vegapunk to grow a replacement

He placed a bet on the new generation, and you can't take your stakes out of the pot until the bet's over.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gyges posted:

He placed a bet on the new generation, and you can't take your stakes out of the pot until the bet's over.

When its over hes going to comission a new arm to he can take over Silvers Rayleighs job of sitting in a chair while wearing a hawaiian shirt and shorts and reading newspapers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Steady on now, this is a family series.