Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pollyanna posted:

, but is it really that important to biohazard the gently caress out of his urine and feces? Sealed bags and all?
Yes, it is. Those drugs are very nasty, because they are designed to be good at killing cells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

For all intents and purposes, chemotherapy drugs are literal poison. The only reason chemo drugs are used in medicine is because cancer is incredibly tenacious so most other treatments don’t work; chemo drugs just kill the cancer a little faster than the patient as a whole.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
is it ok to not collar indoor cats? My sister has two cats and she doesn't collar them; she says because they go crazy trying to take the collar off.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, just make sure they're chipped.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

samcarsten posted:

is it ok to not collar indoor cats? My sister has two cats and she doesn't collar them; she says because they go crazy trying to take the collar off.
Sure, our cats also prefer to be fully nude.

It’s fine as long as you

Rotten Red Rod posted:

make sure they're chipped.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

samcarsten posted:

In my adult life, I've never had a cat that would tolerate a collar. Perhaps I'm just not firm enough with them.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
And not to be morbid, but I was told by many rescues that collars are just an easy way for them to hang themselves.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I think you can get break away collars?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

If you get any collar it should always be a break away collar. But if you haven't gotten a cat used to a collar since kittenhood, there's a good chance they won't tolerate them. We tried for a while to get our cats to wear them. One tears his off immediately like it's made of fire, another seemed like he didn't mind it, and then inevitably a day later he'd have it off and be playing with it like a new toy.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Our cats are indoors and chipped. I’ve been debating trying to get them used to collars, is it likely that would increase the odds of matting for long haired cats?

P.S. Melomane Mallet I’m not trying to ignore your question about “have you tried pates” btw my partner has just wanted to try sticking to a routine with the same food for a bit to rule out other factors. This is still on my radar! I hoped to have an update but not yet.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I think you can get break away collars?

I've never heard of using non-breakaway collars on cats, for what I hoped were obvious reasons. My 3 kittens are all fairly used to their collars now, they barely kick them off themselves anymore. Don't know how much harder it is to introduce collars to an adult cat, with the kids I just had to keep putting them back on for a few days and now they don't seem to mind.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

I've never heard of using non-breakaway collars on cats, for what I hoped were obvious reasons. My 3 kittens are all fairly used to their collars now, they barely kick them off themselves anymore. Don't know how much harder it is to introduce collars to an adult cat, with the kids I just had to keep putting them back on for a few days and now they don't seem to mind.

Sorry yeah I said that in a weird way, but I imagine the only way a cat could get caught and in trouble is without a break away collar. I don't think they even make non breakaway ones anymore? As you mentioned for obvious reasons!

We've always gotten our cats as adults from the shelter (minus a kitten that we got a couple years back I guess), and they'd never worn collars before so it's hard to get them to stick with it

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Pollyanna posted:

How did you handle the litter box? What kind of litter did you use? Did your cat make any messes or anything difficult to clean? How did you handle tracking litter or anything?

I used pine litter which works well in general. Everything sinks to the bottom, it doesn't really get anywhere, and you dump the whole box at once into a bag after a while.

My cats don't really like to dig it up though. They'll dig sand but generally leave pellets alone.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I ended up switching from pine litter to grass seed, cause I wasn’t okay with keeping carcinogenic sawdust around. And especially not diarrhea :gonk:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yes, it is. Those drugs are very nasty, because they are designed to be good at killing cells.

Hopefully not in a particularly painful way. I’m a millennial, I’m fine with dying, just not with suffering.

Luneshot posted:

For all intents and purposes, chemotherapy drugs are literal poison. The only reason chemo drugs are used in medicine is because cancer is incredibly tenacious so most other treatments don’t work; chemo drugs just kill the cancer a little faster than the patient as a whole.

Not gonna lie, it’s frightening. I felt kinda sick and panicky after I gave him the first pill, I really really really hope I’m doing the right thing.

Which was scary as gently caress by the way, I even quarantined the pill gun in a plastic bag.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 12, 2023

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

kaom posted:

Our cats are indoors and chipped. I’ve been debating trying to get them used to collars, is it likely that would increase the odds of matting for long haired cats?

P.S. Melomane Mallet I’m not trying to ignore your question about “have you tried pates” btw my partner has just wanted to try sticking to a routine with the same food for a bit to rule out other factors. This is still on my radar! I hoped to have an update but not yet.

Not a problem! :):

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Pollyanna posted:

Not gonna lie, it’s frightening. I felt kinda sick and panicky after I gave him the first pill, I really really really hope I’m doing the right thing.

You're doing the right thing! And it's good you're trying to be careful and thoughtful. This is how you turn a four month prognosis into four, five, seven quality years.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

If you live somewhere where there's lots of stray cats, or like very deep in the American forest where people would mistake your cat for a raccoon, it might make sense to put a collar on an indoor cat in case she escapes. But in a city, surely people will check for a chip? If you don't trust them to do that, it's also still possible to get the cat an ear tattoo that will be visible to anyone who finds her. The discomfort of wearing a collar isn't really worth the minuscule chance your cat escapes and gets found by someone who will bring her back but only if she has a collar.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I got my cat fixed so he has the tat and ear thing. he doesn't like collars and isn't chipped. I do let him outside, do y'all think the ear and tat is enough?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Around here, tat+ear or ear alone would be taken as a stray who went through a TNR program. Keep in mind a collar is immediately identifiable at a distance, whereas a chip is not. There's such a feral cat population problem in many places that folks will assume that, without a collar, its a stray. A collar can give info of owner without having to go through the effort of taking the cat to a vet - people who aren't willing to schedule a vet trip are likely willing to read a collar tag in front of their face.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

I got my cat fixed so he has the tat and ear thing. he doesn't like collars and isn't chipped. I do let him outside, do y'all think the ear and tat is enough?

You need to chip him. If he's picked up by Animal Control, a friendly stranger, or (God forbid) injured, you want to find out where he is.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I suppose I'll look into if it's something I can make happen. Maybe try collar some more too. Thanks.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Our cats are chipped, but definitely if they were going outside they'd be wearing collars for sure

I think in that case it's really worth trying to get them used to it

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
so far mine has refused to even let me out one on him. perhaps I will try some more patient methods.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

As far as I know, at least in the EU, the chip just has a number in it that is registered in a database. The same database that the tattoo is also registered in. So if the cat is already tattooed, there's no pressing reason to chip them as well. I might be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure I looked it up.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you, magic of complaining about it on the internet, Nutmeg decided today was the day he'd be OK with wearing a collar! I'll take it.

Chips seem cheaper than I thought so I'll get that done once I can get some cash together for it.

edit: here's a somewhat blurry photo of him wearing it

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 13, 2023

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Our cats wear collars indoors. Even the former stray has gotten used to his and doesn't try taking it off. Hell of a struggle trying to get them back on if they do come off though. With the feral cat populations here if they got out of the house we don't want them getting mistaken for strays since few people are going to think to have them checked for chips. Another benefit is we have a place to put the rabies tags and the sound alerts us when they're underfoot.

Every time the youngest cat gets her collar off through rough playing she spends the entire day stalking and ambushing me until the gabapentin kicks in.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 13, 2023

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
and I let him out earlier and he came back in without the collar and with new injuries. drat. he must be fighting with one of the strays or a racoons or something still.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

future ghost posted:

Every time the youngest cat gets her collar off through rough playing she spends the entire day stalking and ambushing me until the gabapentin kicks in.
Yours or hers?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The chemo might be working? My cat hasn’t had diarrhea since we started, and he’s had totally normal stool for a couple days. I’m not gonna call it until I see a week+ of improvement, but this was probably the right move. Fingers crossed for the rest.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yours or hers?
Hell, both. I refuse to cut her nails. Had a friend try to help once, even using a specialized mesh immobilizer, and both of us have the scars to remember it. Our vets apparently have a 3 dose requirement on her charts before any visit.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

and I let him out earlier and he came back in without the collar and with new injuries. drat. he must be fighting with one of the strays or a racoons or something still.

that's why the thread consensus is to not let your cat go outside (unless leashed and under constant supervision)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
yeah, I agree with that. he feels otherwise though. working on it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

Aww, poor guy :ohdear:

Glad to hear you're working on keeping him inside. Hopefully the injuries aren't too bad or anything

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
he seems ok, far as I can tell. no change in behavior. we're laying in bed right now and he seems chill.

I guess I'll look into getting a harness and see if he'll cooperate with that.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I have a cat and a dog and I love them both very much.

Yesterday my fiancé was driving and spotted a kitten trying to get across a crosswalk in a busy intersection. She slammed on her brakes to avoid hitting him and he went under the car. One of her passengers said they thought they saw him make it out the other side and run off, and there was no kitten smear on the road, so she went about the rest of her day after that. She told me all about it last night.

This morning, I’m getting in my car to go to work when I start hearing a mewing noise. I followed the sound over to her hood. Turns out, she got a kitten stowaway! He must have climbed into the undercarriage of her car when she slammed on the brakes. It took us almost two hours to extract him from underneath the engine, during which time he was protesting very loudly. He must have spent the last day or so in the body of her car, including about 60 miles of driving.

We gave him some food and water which he completely devoured almost immediately. He began purring VERY LOUDLY for such a little guy and then he settled down for a nap on my lap.

https://i.imgur.com/GnKO6OK.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ybdO27z.mp4

I guess now I have two cats and a dog. Hoping my other pets are cool with him, though we’re not going to introduce them until the kitten has a chance to get checked out for illness/fleas/etc. My parents are vets, so that part’s actually the easiest.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Congratulations to the kitten hitting the jackpot on his new butlers!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
What a cutiepie :kimchi:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

omg, thank god you found the little guy and he's got a nice new home! What a lucky stow-away

In other news, one side effect of having a kitten that pretty much grew up using the Litter Robot is that he apparently just doesn't bother burying his poop anymore lol. I guess when a magic robot always takes care of it for you, you get a little lazy

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Welcome to your new home, Check Engine Light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My spouse read this with me and suggests Briggs as a name. He's absolutely adorable and the fact that he's okay with humans means he's had some experience with them. They abandoned him as soon as he was old enough is my guess.