Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmZGQzttyLg

My god Forgeworld Graia cannot catch a break. Boltgun is literally a semi sequel to the 2011 Space Marine game.

immediately after recording this trailer, the narrator keeled over dead, his earthly duty complete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Shower thought - Lion is going to meet Cawl and his Great Value primarch sometime and I want to see that conversation

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

sharknado slashfic posted:

Shower thought - Lion is going to meet Cawl and his Great Value primarch sometime and I want to see that conversation

Wait, what? Cawl made a fake primarch?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Sort of. He has a pet Primaris named Alpha Primus. He was the first primaris marine, and he was created using the same process that Jimmy used to create the Primarchs. It didn't go well for some reason and all the other primaris marines are created the traditional way.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Probably just Alpharius.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Just got to The First Heretic after finishing Fulgrim and wow this is by far the best HH novel I have read yet

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Pron on VHS posted:

Just got to The First Heretic after finishing Fulgrim and wow this is by far the best HH novel I have read yet
I found it weird that Lorgar never points out the Emperor's rank hypocrisy in loving up Monarchia but happily allowing god knows how many forge worlds to venerate him as the Omnissiah.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You don’t even have to go all the way to andromeda , there are other galaxies closer

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

euphronius posted:

You don’t even have to go all the way to andromeda , there are other galaxies closer

Yeah but they don’t have as much gravitas.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
You could actually do something with that snippet of lore that says all the radio signals coming in from the edge of the galaxy are in orkish.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Axetrain posted:

Yeah but they don’t have as much gravitas.

:hmmyes:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Plucky Brit posted:

I found it weird that Lorgar never points out the Emperor's rank hypocrisy in loving up Monarchia but happily allowing god knows how many forge worlds to venerate him as the Omnissiah.

Lorgar should have doubled down on his own thing after Monarchia, what's more godly than a bit of old testament style city smiting? Instead he got a crisis of faith because he's a weak rear end dipshit and I hope not-daemon Corax pecks his balls out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Telsa Cola posted:

You could actually do something with that snippet of lore that says all the radio signals coming in from the edge of the galaxy are in orkish.

drat, where was that? That would be hilarious

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Excerpt pulled from Reddit, not sure where it came from but I believe it was an old codex:

quote:

"Millennia ago, a probe was sent out from Earth, its mission to voyage to the end of the galaxy. The scientists who built it hoped that it would someday return to its place of origin after circumnavigating the galaxy. The probe still sends back faint signals after 14,000 years adrift, and hasn't yet begun its return voyage (and it's uncertain if it ever will). To the utter despair of the Imperial Techpriests who still monitor the probe, amongst the incessant battery of incoming signals many are identified as Orkish. The depressing conclusion for mankind can only be that wherever they travel in space, there is a good chance that the Orks will have got there first or will be arriving soon! "

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

D-Pad posted:

Excerpt pulled from Reddit, not sure where it came from but I believe it was an old codex:

I remember reading this in the 4th edition Ork codex

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

I remember reading this in the 4th edition Ork codex

There are soooo many little tidbits of lore like this from decades of codexes that I wish they would expand on. Everytime I read an old codex I am constantly thinking that some piece of lore would make an excellent seed for a full story in a novel. I'm glad BL has been branching out so much in the last few years but I hope they go further off the beaten path in the future. The administratum scribe quest in the first Dawn of Fire or the agri combine short story I posted about recently are my favorite type of things in the setting.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Wait so the probe is sending back signals in orkish? Or it amplifies and then returns transmissions it finds? Is that what probes do?

lonelylikezoidberg fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 12, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Wait so the probe is sending back signals in orkish? Or it amplifies and then returns transmissions it finds? Is that what probes do?

Listens for signals and bounces em back to the receiver i guess

Or a grot hoped on and atarted whispering into the equipment

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
You can tell its old lore since they refer back to "scientists" instead of something like "Magus Astrologists"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Galaxy brimming with ork infestation so what lol

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
An Ork galaxy wouldn't have any real problems with Chaos.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Some of these are absolutely insane.

https://gizmodo.com/warhammer-golden-demon-2023-gallery-games-workshop-1850433671

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I finished Vaults of Terra.

I think, "it's about the journey, not the destination" sums up the finale. The half-inconclusive downer ticks off a "grimdark" box that the narrative itself already blotted out a million times over, in way more elegant ways. There's a tendency of BL novels to leave characters' fates open to interpretation, presumably so there's room for players to put them in their tabletop armies, but this came off as kind of a compromise with that, which weakened the overall structure. They successfully averted the imminent, and admittedly pretty fantastically hosed up Dark Eldar plot, but it was exposed then resolved within moments compared to the main thing that was building up through three books, the failure of which wasn't precisely unforeseen, given the status quo, but it still felt like a cop-out.

That said, Crowl's own closure was spectacular and tied up his character arc beautifully. His earlier face-to-face with the Haemonculus was haunting, and is gonna stick out in my head for a long time (it helped finding the actual Bach piece they were listening to, probably this.) Additonally, the reveal -- not his big reveal, but the complete picture of what the entire Golden Throne situation was, had the Mechanicus performing spectacularly in their usual idiot role, but still presented their motivation with suitable gravitas.

Overall I'd still easily recommend the first book as the first 40k novel for anyone to read, and if that's enough to get them into the setting enough to learn more, the next two are good to come back to once they have some bigger understanding of the metaplot, as the little mentions here and there of big events happening off-page are a lot more enjoyable when you know what those events are, as well as serving to strengthen the narrative.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 13, 2023

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just read The Iron Kingdom, it's not great, but probably about as good as Nick Kyme gets which is mediocre. Honestly I don't think most of the Dawn of Fire books have been great. At least they're not the War of the Beast is the best thing I could say for them.

One thing really leapt out at me as bad though.

Spoiler'd for general book spoilers

No one seems to give a poo poo about their all encompassing ten millenia old universal religion. Solitary Silent Sister and some token battle shouts from others the most minor of exceptions. Although even the Silent Sisters and somehow the Black Templars devotions seemed phoned in. Especially on the Iron Kingdom side. I mean a Crusade launched by Roboute Guilliman last son of The Emperor of Mankind to Reclaim the Stars for Humanity arrives at your world. Accompanied by a Custodes one of said Emperors mythic guardians. So the queen decides to rebel, heavily influenced by a chaos infiltrator it's later revealed, but everyone else seems fine with this!. Her brother, her nobles, her soldiers. They're all fine with murdering a Custodes and rebeling against him and everything he represents without turning a hair.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

36% into Spear of Shadows and it's been entertaining so far, other then I don't really know the realms other then Azyr and Shyish.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/xpcube23/status/1657285998437601281?s=46

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I’ve moved onto Legion but I am still thinking about The First Heretic. It’s my first ADB book, and it was so drat good. So many scenes are stuck in my head especially when the Word Bearers under Argel Tal transfer Ingethel to the Orfens Lament, and a servitor on the bridge rips himself from his post and starts crawling away in pure fear. The entire ritual on Cadia with the 10 sacrifices that preceded that was also great. Had a much better telling of Isstvan V than [i]Fulgrim[i/]. Even little stuff like the descriptions of the Gal Vorbak turning into daemons was amazing and terrifying and gross. I did think the Custodes would be better fighters. I thought one line was pretty odd when the 5 remaining Custodes are boarding De Profundis after learning of the Astro path sacrifices, and one of them suggest that the 5 of them may not be able to handle the ships crew (even though all marines and fighting men are down on Isstvan V), that was odd. I figured 5 Custodes could essentially cut through endless humans

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Pron on VHS posted:

I’ve moved onto Legion but I am still thinking about The First Heretic. It’s my first ADB book, and it was so drat good. So many scenes are stuck in my head especially when the Word Bearers under Argel Tal transfer Ingethel to the Orfens Lament, and a servitor on the bridge rips himself from his post and starts crawling away in pure fear. The entire ritual on Cadia with the 10 sacrifices that preceded that was also great. Had a much better telling of Isstvan V than [i]Fulgrim[i/]. Even little stuff like the descriptions of the Gal Vorbak turning into daemons was amazing and terrifying and gross. I did think the Custodes would be better fighters. I thought one line was pretty odd when the 5 remaining Custodes are boarding De Profundis after learning of the Astro path sacrifices, and one of them suggest that the 5 of them may not be able to handle the ships crew (even though all marines and fighting men are down on Isstvan V), that was odd. I figured 5 Custodes could essentially cut through endless humans

Prior to the HH the Custodes hadn't actually been fleshed out as far as...ugh..power levels and BG went. I'd put it down to everyone figuring out Custodes narratively as they went along, til they're the way they are by the Siege.

See also things like Abnett figuring out Astartes as he went along. They appear as basically mooks who take four or five guys down then are killed in the first GG novel, til he got a better understanding. I think the Brothers of the Snake stories were partly about getting him into the Marine mindset.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Deptfordx posted:

Spoiler'd for general book spoilers

In general most modern writers don't truly get devout religiosity of the kind the Imperium is supposed to have. This seems particularly glaring, though.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The best way to get into the Imperium's religious mindset would probably be an extensive study of real life cults, with a side helping of the Crusades.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I actually disagree - the defining feature of cults is that they set themselves up as enclaves within a larger, non-cult society, withdrawing from that society and setting themselves apart due to supposed secret knowledge or special status. The term “cult” comes from “occult,” meaning “hidden.” The Imperial religion is the dominant monoculture, it’s not hidden or secret.

The closest actual historical parallel is probably the relationship between church and state in 12th-13th century Catholic kingdoms, especially during the papacy of Innocent III.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pron on VHS posted:

Glad you liked the book. 'Betrayer' will treat you even better.

As for the custodes, people are right when they said their power level was not always clear back then. It was often closer to an astarted Captain or Chapter Master, and even now there's some variation. Keep in mind that then or now, taking on a massive warship with armor divisions and mechanicum units inside would be no milk run for a small team with no support.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
That makes sense. Should I read Know No Fear before Betrayer? Based on plot blurbs they seem chronological. Legion is really great too, love the different feel and focus on imperial guard

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Pron on VHS posted:

That makes sense. Should I read Know No Fear before Betrayer? Based on plot blurbs they seem chronological.

Definitely. The First Heretic, KNF and Betrayer form what is effectively a sub-trilogy within the main HH narrative.

Also KNF is great.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/14/sunday-preview-rising-from-the-ashes-of-faith

No books going up for pre-order next weekend, but a new eShort subscription bundle starts in the 22nd of May and runs for five days until the 26th.

Here's the line up:

quote:

The full lineup is Altar of Maws by Peter Fehervari, A Forbidden Meal by Carrie Harris, The Dust That Remains by J H Archer, The Whispering Blade by Matthew Harffy, and Stealing Orpheon by Richard Ford.

Mostly mentioning this because I'm sure some people are interesting the Fehervari Tau story.
Just so you don't have to suffer with mainly Phil Kelly books.

Also, didn't realise until now that the second one is centered around the Kroot.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Fehervari's Tau are really well written

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIhKsa3oYGk

That's quite the depiction of a Power Fist

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

Definitely. The First Heretic, KNF and Betrayer form what is effectively a sub-trilogy within the main HH narrative.

Better then the HH as a whole, for that matter.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIhKsa3oYGk

That's quite the depiction of a Power Fist

I think anything fisted by a terminator is going to have a bad day, power or no power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

I think anything fisted by a terminator is going to have a bad day, power or no power.

Fulgrim says hold my beer