Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It feels very loving weird when Everyone is just smiling and back slapping Gojo. Like there are already obvious death flags going on here because if Gojo rolls Sukuna there's not much left to wrap up with Kenjaku. But now I'm thinking Gojo gets clapped super hard based purely on the good vibes going into the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Ytlaya posted:

It'll be really weird if she's actually dead, because the way she died didn't feel remotely similar to the way major characters are normally killed off in shounen manga like this.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, it's just kind of surprising.

It definitely is a weird as hell way to handle that part of the story, it just seems like the most likely way for it to play out to me at this point at the same time.

Brought To You By posted:

It feels very loving weird when Everyone is just smiling and back slapping Gojo. Like there are already obvious death flags going on here because if Gojo rolls Sukuna there's not much left to wrap up with Kenjaku. But now I'm thinking Gojo gets clapped super hard based purely on the good vibes going into the fight.

I kind of disagree with that read. Gojo looked tense as gently caress walking down those stairs. I'm pretty sure the good vibes are to melt his tension away a little, they know if he gets merced by Sukuna they're all screwed. Gojo knows too.

With how fast this is all going, I kind of wonder what Gege Akutami is feeling about the series. This almost feels like they're under pressure to end or feeling some intense burnout.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 12, 2023

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What's funny is that the remaining fingers were teased a bit but then unceremoniously pitched. I imagine the last finger will be part of the resolution.

My guess: Gojo pulls some bullshit to expell Sukuna from Megumi during the fight. Kenjaku is also dealt with by the kids or Gojo. Gojo can live or die in this scenario.

Gojo maybe shoves Sukuna back into the remaining finger which Yuji consumes- then we get one last battle in the force ghost realm between Yuji and Sukuna, or just a simple confrontation and Yuji lets himself be executed to fully finish Sukuna off.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Wait, Yuuji swapped souls with Kusakabe in that training segment

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

the anime better add wwe style entrance themes to gojo and sukuna’s walks to the ring

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Char posted:

Wait, Yuuji swapped souls with Kusakabe in that training segment

Was wondering if that was a translation issue, because if so that seems huge.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's 100% not a translation issue given we see Yuji's Os/Osu he says repatedly in Shibuya coming from Kusa's. Some weird poo poo is going on here and I really doubt Gege managed to gently caress up hard and get the speech bubbles for two panels mixed up and somehow not catch it

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
This chapter feels like we just skipped a bunch of actually kind of important plot points in a rush to move forward. Basically what Fabricated posted up the page:

Fabricated posted:

What's funny is that the remaining fingers were teased a bit but then unceremoniously pitched. I imagine the last finger will be part of the resolution.

It's felt that there has been some teasing of alot of elements of whats coming up, but then just sort of dropped into the story as if the hints were enough to go on. The fingers, Ino's final technique having some renewed relevance, Yuji being able to transfer souls... These sort of things have been speculated on and hinted at, but are now just sort of being tossed into the plot...

Tosk posted:

With how fast this is all going, I kind of wonder what Gege Akutami is feeling about the series. This almost feels like they're under pressure to end or feeling some intense burnout.

Exactly. It feels like it's rushing just to get the series over with and done...

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gege is apparently pretty good friends with Horikoshi, and watching him disintegrate might have given him cause to speed things up

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

As long as the industry calls for the massive workload I'm gonna fault Gege for making the final chunk longer than originally planned if it prevents them from physically falling apart from the stress it induces.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

A lot of long run jump serializations have inconsistent and rushed endings. Especially true for jump first timers.

Sounds like an institutional issue.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Nobara will show up with half a brain, drooling and serving as a one-armed Todo's high five buddy for their dramatic return

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Just in time for Sukuna to show off his maximum technique that dices every female character in a 100km radius.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

Nobara will show up with half a brain, drooling and serving as a one-armed Todo's high five buddy for their dramatic return

Honestly with the way things are going, it feels like we're just going to get a scene of everyone at Nobara's grave with no other context provided

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
she's going to do to Itadori what he did to her

just pop out of a box with a big thumbs up

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

A very confusing chapter with the pacing it laid out. I agree with others they threw a lot at us and it feels like there is context/info missing we could have used. Maybe it's all in service of flashback training chapters before big moments I dunno.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm betting they have something planned and we'll get flashbacks answering questions slowly as the fighting begins.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Gojo gave Sukuna's finger to Nobara who is going to use her power to make Sukuna weak enough to be defeat in the end.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Hamelekim posted:

Gojo gave Sukuna's finger to Nobara who is going to use her power to make Sukuna weak enough to be defeat in the end.

That could actually make sense. It would still suck as a plot device because of how all the women in JJK have gotten screwed over, but it would actually be a pretty smart play in-universe because her ability is uniquely tailored to a strategy like that, and the enemy has no idea that she's still alive. Even if she's too weak to damage Sukuna, she could distract him at some key moment for Gojo to land the decisive blow.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Every time Gege makes me doubt he pulls me back in, and we are currently in the doubt phase because this chapter was confusing.

Maybe it was also partly the fanslation. It felt like a transition was missing or something

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the early translation has been making more and more big mistakes

i excommunicate it!!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nobara's cursed technique seems like it'd be really useful given how it worked on Mahito, so I'm guessing if she's gonna come back she's gonna be doing something like that. Maybe something to Sukuna's finger?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Link to official.

Looks like Sukuna will be at full power.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

notwithyourheart posted:

the anime better add wwe style entrance themes to gojo and sukuna’s walks to the ring

considering that Gege is a wrestling fan, having based Yaga off popular wrestler Masahiro Chono, I'd be surprised if this doesn't happen next chapter

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MonsterEnvy posted:

Link to official.

Looks like Sukuna will be at full power.

Close enough to full power.
He cant incarnate fully without that last finger

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I actually don't think Gojo's chances here are great given that his mission probably isn't to kill Sukuna, who is now rocking pseudo-100% power and Megumi's entire shadow line-up, including one that is specifically "it completely figures out and counteracts your technique automatically"

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i imagine if Gojo was fully rocking "just kill 'em and move on"' he could win easily, but that unfortunately isn't it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this is absolutely a death flag for gojo, even if he survives I don't see how he just kills sukuna and that's that

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
We got a couple of things in the oven for Sukuna.

-Got the new cursed weapon from Yorozu and who knows what that does
- Got Mahoraga which is a pretty hard counter to what Gojo brings to the table
- He has Megumis body as a hostage
- Hidden techniques we don’t know about, while Sukuna knows all of his own thanks to Kenjaku

If it was Sukuna without these things, I’d say it goes to Gojo easily but it’s actually pretty stacked in Sukuna’s favour with all the new factors

Plus you also got the set plots of other characters gunning for Sukuna, so unless their story ends with them doing something else, Gojo is very likely gonna lose here. Everything narratively is pointing towards it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Asuron posted:

- Hidden techniques we don’t know about, while Sukuna knows all of his own thanks to Kenjaku

If it was Sukuna without these things, I’d say it goes to Gojo easily but it’s actually pretty stacked in Sukuna’s favour with all the new factors

Plus you also got the set plots of other characters gunning for Sukuna, so unless their story ends with them doing something else, Gojo is very likely gonna lose here. Everything narratively is pointing towards it

Yeah, Gojo has to lose so Roboco can come in for the save with her ultimate technique. It's all being set up this week, if you read the extended universe material.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Who is the fourth character whom Shoko mentions is not fully recovered? I cannot recall a veteran who is maimed but alive and is affiliated with Tokyo Jujutsu High.

Ytlaya posted:

It'll be really weird if she's actually dead, because the way she died didn't feel remotely similar to the way major characters are normally killed off in shounen manga like this.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, it's just kind of surprising.

Given the setup, I would not mind if she has died or not.

Since the beginning, with Yuji's grandpa's death and Junpei's death, the motif has been unceremonious deaths. Death is inevitable, so the only thing you can change is to have many people to mourn for your death, to carry on your legacy. Gojo is the spitting image of that goal; if/when he dies, the amount of people who would mourn for his death will be similar to the amount of people who awaited his return from the Prison Realm and is slapping his back right now.

Nonetheless, having Nobara surviving in secret for so long without Yuji's knowledge, it would be akin to Megumi and Nobara pulling off the same tact that Yuji did to them during the Kyoto arc.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Asuron posted:

Gojo really has his work cut out for him even if he's just trying to kill Sukuna without factoring in Megumi. Mahoraga has killed a limitless user before (not sure it was a six-eyes though). That limitless user presumably wasn't fending off a 19 fingered Sukuna while trying to deal with Mahoraga either. I'm curious about a domain clash between them even aside from Mahoraga potentially popping Gojo's barrier. Sukuna's unbounded DE is described as painting on air which sounds like it might win a clash with Infinite Void.

My initial assumption with the remaining finger was that Yuji will eat it and that will be part of sealing or drawing Sukuna out of Megumi. I like the idea of Nobara's ability being used there though.

I also don't think Gojo just wins narratively. SJ law dictates Yuji should be the one to beat Sukuna. However he doesn't have the skills for it and nothing has changed that. It also only really makes sense for Gojo to be able to do it. I do like the idea someone mentioned of there being an inner battle between Yuji and Sukuna alongside the main fight. Though I guess I'd be surprised if the fights stay separated between Gojo/Sukuna and everyone/Kenjaku.

Where is Kashimo in all this? That's the big unexpected wrench I'm expecting to really change things up. Makes Sukuna's life harder, but Gojo also won't want to lose Megumi's body. Gotta imagine Kashimo pops up during that fight.

I'm also confused by that Yuji Kusakabe chapter and assumed the speech bubbles were pointing to Kusakabe or something. It makes sense for him to train Yuji not vice versa. Yuji is a beast but Kusakabe being the strongest non CT user I don't think him being a student to Yuji here makes sense. If it is a soul swapping thing maybe that's the ability Yuji has gained since losing Sukuna. He went so long with soul sharing he can now swap with people or something. Weird page whether intentional or an error.

I was surprised by the time jump too and it being bigger than the one between Shibuya and the start of the culling game is kind of funny. I still think the amount of time after Shibuya feels like it should be a few months not two or three weeks. I'm definitely anticipating a lot of flashbacks that are being intentionally hidden from us during the training arc. I do feel robbed we didn't get to see the reunion between Gojo and the kids though.

I am fine with the fast pace considering a lot of manga feeling they go too long or feel too slow. I think it does feel a bit rushed but only in small places. Stuff like the culling game fights were all well paced and didn't feel rushed but connective tissue can really feel like that. Like assuming Yuta was still in Sendai but then "oh I guess everyone is back in HQ" all of a sudden. Same with this. I don't need a long training arc and am glad to get to the cool poo poo ASAP but feel like we needed at least one more chapter of Gojo arriving back and seeing everyone again.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

yuji has presumably been studying yuki tsukumo’s soul research that choso gave to him. i am extremely confident those panels are not errors

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Flair posted:

Who is the fourth character whom Shoko mentions is not fully recovered? I cannot recall a veteran who is maimed but alive and is affiliated with Tokyo Jujutsu High.

The only guess I have is the principal, who secretly survived maybe?

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I think Shoko was referring to Geto who is a dead man walking in their eyes

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

notwithyourheart posted:

yuji has presumably been studying yuki tsukumo’s soul research that choso gave to him. i am extremely confident those panels are not errors

Oh yeah I forgot they got a book off her. That's gotta be key to it.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yujis existence has also compared to being a full on living cursed object by this point due to marinating in Sukunas CE for so long as well as having learned to see the shape of the soul.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EmmyOk posted:

Where is Kashimo in all this? That's the big unexpected wrench I'm expecting to really change things up. Makes Sukuna's life harder, but Gojo also won't want to lose Megumi's body. Gotta imagine Kashimo pops up during that fight.

He was hanging around a couple chapters ago.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flair posted:

Given the setup, I would not mind if she has died or not.

Since the beginning, with Yuji's grandpa's death and Junpei's death, the motif has been unceremonious deaths. Death is inevitable, so the only thing you can change is to have many people to mourn for your death, to carry on your legacy. Gojo is the spitting image of that goal; if/when he dies, the amount of people who would mourn for his death will be similar to the amount of people who awaited his return from the Prison Realm and is slapping his back right now.

That's the thing though; if she's dead, we haven't really seen anyone mourn her or otherwise acknowledge it. I'm fine with the method of death being sudden/unceremonious, but the reactions are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
They mention on one of the pages that one person hasn't fully recovered yet. I take that as being her, otherwise who would it be?