Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

Why not? I mean, I know there's no in game mechanic for it (thank god), but why would the child of Bhaal be barren?

they aren't. you just make a little baby slayer. "awww isn't it so cute OH GOD IT ATE MY FACE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Arivia posted:

In Thay. What? It doesn't all have to be weird or gross poo poo you know. People can just be happy to live where they are used to, just like the pigs in mud.

Isn't Thay a gross and weird slaver culture?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Theres a mod where you can just disable reputation mechanics, correct? I'd like to do an evil party but I dont want the game to hate me for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vargatron posted:

Theres a mod where you can just disable reputation mechanics, correct? I'd like to do an evil party but I dont want the game to hate me for it.

Tweak pack as a thing where party members won't leave for too high or too low reputation, and another one where low reputation either doesn't affect prices in stores or makes it so a low reputation also makes prices cheaper (normally shop prices are lower with a higher reputation and vice versa). I don't think there's a mod that stops the Flaming Fist/Amnish Guard from attacking you if your reputation gets truly bottom barrel.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think they implement low reputation well tbh, it's just the game showers you with good reputation and gives no incentive or reason to choose a different path, so every playthrough with evil characters ends with you having to murder a random NPC to keep your rep below 18

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Having a great time with Xzar dual classed into Cleric was a compelling reason for me to watch my reputation level for a long time, I only had enough Helms of Opposite Alignment for Dorn :(

I messed up in every possible way planning my party this playthrough, I love it. I dual classed Imoen and Safana and then realized they were literally the only available thieves for Siege of Dragonspear for the first two chapters

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I liked the virtue mod.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Air Skwirl posted:

Why not? I mean, I know there's no in game mechanic for it (thank god), but why would the child of Bhaal be barren?

I would be shocked, but overjoyed, if there wasn't a mod that enabled lady bhaalspawn PCs to have a baby.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Dr. Quarex posted:

It has always struck me as exceptionally unusual when the characters that designers allow you to have romantic interactions with are actually the characters you like and want to spend more time interacting with. I think literally the only overlap for me was Jack in Mass Effect 2, even if this was a little outside my general preference to not date mass murderers (then again, all game protagonists are mass killers of some sort). I can fix her

But for Infinity engine games, bleh. I am playing a she-Bhaalspawn on my current runthrough so clearly I should be trying to roleplay her potential interests, but I am surely going to end up hating Anomen even more than usual if he is flirting with me

You probably cannot have a baby as a Bhaalady though huh

Might I suggest: Hexxat. What is not to love about a lesbian vampire?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Ginette Reno posted:

Reputation is one of the dumber components in BG and I don't mind modding that out, (the good/evil leaving over rep limits part) even during Ironman runs.

It's not terribly hard to manage even if you want to but it's just silly that they'd care.

Don't know if it's possible but the only thing I'd mod out are the NPC reactions to reputation completely. Like mechanically the same, just not a peep from anyone high or low, good or evil.

Because good want high rep because they're benevolent. Evil want high rep to cover for their nefarious activities.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The Silver Horn of Valhalla is missing in my game for some reason. It is not in the chest at the foot of the bed in the two story house in the Bridge district, the one that is next to Reedle.

I don't have a single mod installed and I definitely haven't picked up the thing and sold it. What could have happened to it? Did the Enhanced Edition change something about it? I can not find anything about the EE moving or removing the thing.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Flowing Thot posted:

Might I suggest: Hexxat. What is not to love about a lesbian vampire?
You know, that is interesting, I found it literally impossible to allow her to live in my first playthrough but I forgot she was into the Bhaaladies

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Node posted:

The Silver Horn of Valhalla is missing in my game for some reason. It is not in the chest at the foot of the bed in the two story house in the Bridge district, the one that is next to Reedle.

I don't have a single mod installed and I definitely haven't picked up the thing and sold it. What could have happened to it? Did the Enhanced Edition change something about it? I can not find anything about the EE moving or removing the thing.

I went and looked in my ancient EE version, but it's right there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Can you even have a good team of Evil characters? I remember trying to play a Evil Game and just failing miserably because of the reputation thing and also not having a more balanced team with abilities.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Can you even have a good team of Evil characters? I remember trying to play a Evil Game and just failing miserably because of the reputation thing and also not having a more balanced team with abilities.

The EE added the missing piece in Hexxat; before there was no evil NPC with thieving abilities.

Dorn/Korgan/Viconia/Hexxat/Edwin is not bad at all.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 14, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Arivia posted:

The EE added the missing piece in Hexxat; before there was no evil NPC with thieving abilities.

Dorn/Kagain/Viconia/Hexxat/Edwin is not bad at all.

I can't remember if I played the EE as a evil party. Its been a while since I posted in this thread. I can't even remember when I last played Baldur's Gate. I know its recent enough that I had all the EE's in my GOG account that I just recently regained access to.

According to the thread I played Baldur's Gate and those games in 2016. It will be interesting to play them again since I remember jack poo poo from them.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 14, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Also if I remember correctly the Tweak Pack has an option to "donate" at a tavern to reduce reputation so you don't have to kill random people to manage it. Prices are similar to the temple, I believe. That would make an evil game much easier as well.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Rappaport posted:

I went and looked in my ancient EE version, but it's right there.

I wonder what the hell happened. Can I add it back if I enabled the console?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Node posted:

I wonder what the hell happened. Can I add it back if I enabled the console?

Yeah, or you can use EEKeeper to add items as well.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Arivia posted:

Dorn/Korgan/Viconia/Hexxat/Edwin is not bad at all.

Evil PC thief/mage is the real solution, single class thieves like Hexxat are just not very fun mechanically, and she's not well enough written to make up for it imo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

bike tory posted:

Evil PC thief/mage is the real solution, single class thieves like Hexxat are just not very fun mechanically, and she's not well enough written to make up for it imo.

Possible to dual or multiclass Hexxat or is Hexxat not human

edit:

I just looked it up and she's a vampire even though she used to be human.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 14, 2023

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Jan is perfectly happy to be in an evil party even if he isn’t evil himself. I’m sure the same is true of Nalia and Imoen. I’d rather take anyone other than Dorn however. His personal quest is terrible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fun fact, you can dual class Sarevok into a thief for Throne of Bhaal, and there's enough XP for him to get Use Any Item, so he can use Carssomyr

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

Fun fact, you can dual class Sarevok into a thief for Throne of Bhaal, and there's enough XP for him to get Use Any Item, so he can use Carssomyr

yeah i was trying to leave his name out in case we had anyone who was still spoilable (i know it's literally 20+ years old but still), but i'd absolutely replace korgath with him when i got to tob

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

Don't know if it's possible but the only thing I'd mod out are the NPC reactions to reputation completely. Like mechanically the same, just not a peep from anyone high or low, good or evil.

Because good want high rep because they're benevolent. Evil want high rep to cover for their nefarious activities.

Tweak Pack has this or something close to it iirc.

I guess you could say that if you're allowing yourself to just sit at 20 rep all the time then you're also getting the best store prices but who cares honestly like good characters already get disproportionately the best benefits from quests (aside from a few notable exceptions like the Man Coat) so it doesn't feel to me like it changes game balance much to eliminate rep as a mechanic. Just lets you run more interesting parties and not deal with an irritating game mechanic.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just make your PC a Fighter/Thief

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

goblin week posted:

And really, can you imagine a Thayvian being happy

I really can't

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Is Jaheira's companion quest stuck, or does it trigger after Spellhold? I'm at "Return to Harper's Hold" where she said she will think about attending the hearing. It's been a few weeks in game and the quest hasn't progressed since.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ace Transmuter posted:

I really can't

It's as easy as imagining a Thayvian hurting someone needlessly

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Node posted:

Is Jaheira's companion quest stuck, or does it trigger after Spellhold? I'm at "Return to Harper's Hold" where she said she will think about attending the hearing. It's been a few weeks in game and the quest hasn't progressed since.

This is probably the step that only triggers when you rest outside (inns won't work).

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Nostalgamus posted:

This is probably the step that only triggers when you rest outside (inns won't work).

That was it, thank you.

I have two mages in my group, Neera and Aerie. I've never had two mages at once before and it's pretty cool how flexible they are with each encounter. The only problem I have is when battling very strong encounters like dragons and liches. They seem immune to everything and their always succeed their saves. What spells should I be casting on those kinds of enemies? I try to Lower Resistance and Greater Malison targets like that, but it doesn't seem to do much. How can I make my mages more useful against big targets, other than casting buffs before the fight?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Lower Resistance stacks, you need multiple of them to make things reliable on dragons.

Liches are immune to spells of levels 1-5.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Node posted:

That was it, thank you.

I have two mages in my group, Neera and Aerie. I've never had two mages at once before and it's pretty cool how flexible they are with each encounter. The only problem I have is when battling very strong encounters like dragons and liches. They seem immune to everything and their always succeed their saves. What spells should I be casting on those kinds of enemies? I try to Lower Resistance and Greater Malison targets like that, but it doesn't seem to do much. How can I make my mages more useful against big targets, other than casting buffs before the fight?

Are you playing with ANY mods? (Not a bad thing just mods often touch mage power in bg2 so people need to know)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Arivia posted:

Are you playing with ANY mods? (Not a bad thing just mods often touch mage power in bg2 so people need to know)

Nope, no mods.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Lower Resistance stacks, you need multiple of them to make things reliable on dragons.

Liches are immune to spells of levels 1-5.

Good to know that it stacks, I've tried casting multiple Lower Resistances before and the combat log doesn't say "Lowered resistance of monster by 22%" each time, so I thought it didn't. What spells would you recommend casting, after landing a few lower resistances?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Skull Trap

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dragons: greater malison and unload with chromatic orb and finger of death and just bore it to death with saving throw statistics.

Mages are kind stalemated against lichs. Best case after the standard array of prebuffing is you can Ruby Ray or Khelben's Warding Whip enough spell protections for someone to cast Sunfire. Alternately death fog or power word silence for a more direct approach but your basic lich job is to open them up to weapon and/or cleric BS.

e. it looks like Mage dispel is also turned into a universal swiss army knife at least in EE? So its an earlier way for mages to Do Things during a lich fight despite its spell level being lower.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 15, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Skull Trap

Don't think I ever used this one in BG, but boy did I go to town with it in Icewind Dale...

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

You don’t really need to dispel protections from a lich to do Sunfire just send in 2 clerics and have them both cast it and that lich is dead*

*does not apply to modded games or demi-liches.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
e: apparently Sunray inflicts magic damage, not fire damage.

Suspicious fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
My options were all reset for some reason, including max hp on level up. I'm curious how long that has been going on. How many hp should Jaheira, with standard 17 constitution, have at levels 13/13? She has 90 for me which seems low.