Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Glass (nail) files

I have some crap guns to build, got this six pack because why not. Not instructions but I don’t think that will be an issue since they are packaged separately… I’m tempted to just dump all the parts in a pile and build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Where is the term "glass file" from? I've never heard that one before.
Same, but apparently it means "emery board". Or nail file. GW don't actually do those, or the type pictured.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Won't lie, my gunprimer rasers have become my go-to.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, sorry, just threw out a random example and connected the GW logo being a way to sell a $3 thing for $15.

One of the modeling groups I'm in was talking about using glass files to quickly zip down little sprue marks after you've clipped a piece off them. On Amazon, glass files "for Gundam Military Model Hobby Polishing" are $12 for 2, while "Glass Nail Files for Natural Nails" are $19 for 5, or $30 for 10

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If the latter are like the ones pictured earlier, then they're likely not the same as the hobby ones which have a different kind of grit, more like lots of tiny holes rather than a raised rough surface.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

ijyt posted:

Won't lie, my gunprimer rasers have become my go-to.

same, they are really fast and easier for sanding surfaces that should be flat instead of rounded.

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.
I’m doing my first scale model (I usually paint Warhammer/D&D minis). I’m making a model of my dad’s old ‘67 Mustang for a Father’s Day present.

Is there an ideal varnish to use over metal flake paint to keep the effect of looking like a real car? I’m fine with airbrush or rattle can.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Glass files are great and I can recommend them. If you're only using them on plastic they should never wear out and can be cleaned perfectly again and again. They have a lot of cutting force and are very soft on your hands/joints.

The Siren MSF-13 from Dispae should go for around eight bucks (Amazon shows it to me very overpriced lol) so it's a decent choice if you want to try such a tool. Just be prepared to clean it with a toothbrush every few pieces since the plastic shavings will stick to the cutting profile. That's the trade-off for the price compared to a product like the Gunprimer Raser.

Oh and when working with such a high grit you want to be careful because it will lead to a shiny/reflective surface if you go all the way. Personally I use the file to work away the material I want to remove and then buff with 2k and 2.5k grit sanding paper for an almost perfect match on the factory surface look of the kits I've done so far

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 11, 2023

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Megaspam posted:

I’m doing my first scale model (I usually paint Warhammer/D&D minis). I’m making a model of my dad’s old ‘67 Mustang for a Father’s Day present.

Is there an ideal varnish to use over metal flake paint to keep the effect of looking like a real car? I’m fine with airbrush or rattle can.

The easiest ones to find are probably Tamiya or Testors lacquer spray cans. I've sprayed them over metallic paints many times and they look great. I would really recommend looking up some videos on YouTube to get the technique down before you do it though because there is a technique to clearcoating especially if you want it look as realistic as possible.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
What can I use to glue plastic film to a clear plastic part and keep it crisp looking?
I want to "coat" my tank periscopes with nail film but I'm having problems with adhering the film to it.

I have tried:
-Clearcoat
-Mod Podge
-VMS Transpafix

Either the glue doesn't dry or does not adhere properly. :bang: Anyone have experience with this?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

therunningman posted:

What can I use to glue plastic film to a clear plastic part and keep it crisp looking?
I want to "coat" my tank periscopes with nail film but I'm having problems with adhering the film to it.

I have tried:
-Clearcoat
-Mod Podge
-VMS Transpafix

Either the glue doesn't dry or does not adhere properly. :bang: Anyone have experience with this?

Elmer's glue?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I use white glue to attach periscopes and headlights. It does take a while to dry but the white disappears completely after a day or so.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I use white glue to attach periscopes and headlights. It does take a while to dry but the white disappears completely after a day or so.

Is there a practical difference between Mod Podge and White/Elmers Glue? I always thought it was the same thing.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

therunningman posted:

Is there a practical difference between Mod Podge and White/Elmers Glue? I always thought it was the same thing.

It seems that Mod Podge has a sealing effect...that may be why it never cured.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

therunningman posted:

I have tried:
-Clearcoat
-Mod Podge
-VMS Transpafix

Am I understanding you correctly in that you're trying to glue a piece of film to a clear plastic part? I think my question would be what the end game is. What effect are you trying to achieve? I've never heard of anyone trying to achieve realism on periscopes using the method you're describing. Maybe I'm missing something, but if you tell us the end goal we might be able to offer better ideas to get there.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Am I understanding you correctly in that you're trying to glue a piece of film to a clear plastic part? I think my question would be what the end game is. What effect are you trying to achieve? I've never heard of anyone trying to achieve realism on periscopes using the method you're describing. Maybe I'm missing something, but if you tell us the end goal we might be able to offer better ideas to get there.

Yes that's exactly it. I found inexpensive transparent nail film which has a really cool red-purple effect that changes with he angle of view. I wanted to try applying it to the periscopes to get the look of the laser coating rather than trying to paint it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I've always heard Vallejo acrylic paints were not great for airbrushing is that really true? Tamiya acrylics and lacquers are a dream to airbrush but unfortunately I moved to an area that doesn't have any real hobby shops nearby and only has a hobby lobby and they only carry Vallejo. Ive heard that you need to use Vallejo thinner and airbrush thinner to get them to airbrush ok but they still gum up the nozzle?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

I've always heard Vallejo acrylic paints were not great for airbrushing is that really true? Tamiya acrylics and lacquers are a dream to airbrush but unfortunately I moved to an area that doesn't have any real hobby shops nearby and only has a hobby lobby and they only carry Vallejo. Ive heard that you need to use Vallejo thinner and airbrush thinner to get them to airbrush ok but they still gum up the nozzle?

Vallejo has multiple lines meant specifically for airbrushing and I blow 'em through my airbrush just fine with no additives :shrug:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I find a few drops of flow improvers help the, er, flow, but yeah they airbrush fine out of the bottle.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

No problems here!

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
"Game Color", "Model Color", "Premium Color", and "Metal Color" are Vallejo lines that do need thinners and flow improvers and anecdotally occasionally don't like the ones that aren't also Vallejo.

"Game Air" (for tabletop miniatures), "Model Air" (for tanks, ships, aircraft, etc.), and "Mecha Color" (for robots) do not, and are explicitly marketted as not requiring thinning.

There may be colors missing from some of these ranges you need to pick up from the other ones if you want them - like Mecha Color is really weak on purples, and doesn't even have good blues and reds to mix your own imperial/tyrian purples, but game color has a solid one.

Basically, if it doesn't have "air" in the title it needs thinning. Except for Mecha Color.

It's still worth having some thinners and flow improvers around because your local humidity and air pressure preferences can play around with what works well.

(See e.g. https://fasteasylearn.com/2022/11/14/basic-guide-to-miniature-airbrushes/#Thinning-%22Sauce%22 for how different youtubers work. For example, Don Surantos is in the Philippines and uses a LOT of both flow improver and thinner to deal with the local heat and humidity. I tried his mix and it was WAY too thin for me.)

Vallejo actually do recommend about 2 drops thinner and 1 drop flow improver to every 5-6 drops of paint with their "air" products, along with 15-20 psi for the pressure. They put comments to this effect in the color charts on https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/hobby-color-charts/ but not every product has an equivalent recommendation.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Generic acrylic thinner and flow improver are also fine with Vallejo products.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

therunningman posted:

Yes that's exactly it. I found inexpensive transparent nail film which has a really cool red-purple effect that changes with he angle of view. I wanted to try applying it to the periscopes to get the look of the laser coating rather than trying to paint it.

Plasmo used that method to do the HUD glass on the A-10 he built a few months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd8rPN_9v-k
starting at about 19:30

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Nullkigan posted:

"Game Color", "Model Color", "Premium Color", and "Metal Color" are Vallejo lines that do need thinners and flow improvers and anecdotally occasionally don't like the ones that aren't also Vallejo.

"Game Air" (for tabletop miniatures), "Model Air" (for tanks, ships, aircraft, etc.), and "Mecha Color" (for robots) do not, and are explicitly marketted as not requiring thinning.

Just worth pointing out that "Metal Color" is an airbrush ready range, it's extremely thin already, and they actually say 'airbrush colors' on the bottle (this has been my go-to metallic airbrush paint for a few years). I believe that Vallejo's model color, game color etc ranges have metallics that need thinning, though.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

regular Vallejo model color and game color have thinned pretty easily in the airbrush for me, though I think the air specific paints are still nicer. The mecha paints have been great for me

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Phy posted:

Plasmo used that method to do the HUD glass on the A-10 he built a few months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd8rPN_9v-k
starting at about 19:30

That looks very similar! I wonder what glue he used. edit: i must be deaf, clear varnish.

I tried again and I think I'm just not giving it enough time to cure. I like the way it looks.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Other than shipping being $40 is there anything to be wary about with Hobby Link Japan? Because their prices on many of the kits I want are basically 1/2 of what they cost in the US. After a few kits that $40 is no big deal.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

stealie72 posted:

Other than shipping being $40 is there anything to be wary about with Hobby Link Japan? Because their prices on many of the kits I want are basically 1/2 of what they cost in the US. After a few kits that $40 is no big deal.

How do the prices compare to Plaza Japan? Because I've used that one with no issue

e: Plaza and Hobby Link are both in the set of online shops Scalemates uses for stock/price reference on all the kits in the database, they can't be that dodgy

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 14, 2023

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

How do the prices compare to Plaza Japan? Because I've used that one with no issue
Whelp, got ALL excited about Plaza Japan because everything was even cheaper, but with the same cart PJ's shipping is $117, and HLJ's is $55.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I think we all ordered our crapcars from Hobby Link Japan and it went fine. I remember my package just showed up at my door one day (not in the mailbox, mind you) with little indication of how it got there, but getting there is the part I care about.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

While on the subject of airbrushing: what primers seems to be preferred for spraying through an airbrush

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
HLJ are one of the more reputable sites out there. They've been great for over a decade.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

While on the subject of airbrushing: what primers seems to be preferred for spraying through an airbrush

If you are okay with airbrushing lacquers, Mr. Surfacer 1000, 1200, or 1500 is amazing. It coats very well and has a great finish that topcoats adhere to very well.

I've also used the Alclad lacquer primers quite a bit and they are good, but I much prefer the finish of Mr. Surfacer.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 14, 2023

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I've made multiple purchases from HLJ, the trick is to buy enough all at once that the discount overcomes the shipping costs.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Is their private warehouse thing for real? Has anyone used it?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yup, it's legit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And they're not actually forcing shipments right now. So long as they have the space, you already paid for the models so they can afford to hang on to them until they get crunched for space.

Oh, and who wants to feel bad about their photoetch skills? This gentleman is working a 1/200 scale HMS Nelson, and he's working on the 60 20mm Oerlikons she carried. Lots and lots of tiny bits! He also has a cutting matt that I am insanely jealous of; it has lots of cutouts to hold small parts and it looks insanely clever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLs8VSanM6s&t=675s

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

HLJ are one of the more reputable sites out there. They've been great for over a decade.

Yep. They've got a great rep. Just don't expect overnight delivery or anything.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

mllaneza posted:

And they're not actually forcing shipments right now. So long as they have the space, you already paid for the models so they can afford to hang on to them until they get crunched for space.

Oh, and who wants to feel bad about their photoetch skills? This gentleman is working a 1/200 scale HMS Nelson, and he's working on the 60 20mm Oerlikons she carried. Lots and lots of tiny bits! He also has a cutting matt that I am insanely jealous of; it has lots of cutouts to hold small parts and it looks insanely clever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLs8VSanM6s&t=675s

It's a soldering mat!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/450x300mm-Insulation-Soldering-Smartphone-Repairing/dp/B07P787RKN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Yep. They've got a great rep. Just don't expect overnight delivery or anything.

I mean, if you pay for the DHL shipping level, they'll get it to your door in about three days. Just, y'know, :10bux: