Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I made it to Gerudo Town. Is there a fast travel point here? Maybe a shrine nearby? It's hard to see around here with the sand shroud, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

HellOnEarth posted:

I think you get 10 slots total after getting all the pony points, eventually? I think there's 5 unique horses, (two giant horses, a golden horse, the royal white horse and Epona) so it should be fine unless there's a bunch of undiscovered unique horses out there. I think the royal white horse and the Ganondorse are in TOTK even without the transfer, so technically 7?

Thank you! There is also (quest spoiler, finished two temples) the horse belonging to the Lookout Point stable owner. I don't know if that's really a unique horse because the weather was too cloudy for me to see his colors, but I took him anyway when he was offered

edit: I just realized the place is called Lookout Landing and not Lookout Point (only spoilered because of its implication for the previous spoiler). Reading is hard, all I need is flamethowers

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 15, 2023

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

The shrine explaining the bow time mechanic is in such a weird place.

I just did this and it is and isn’t! I’ve been thinking about this because if level design stuff:

I’ve been following the games gentle nudge toward Rito town. I went up the first tower between hyrule town and Rito, coming down a glowing red circle in the direction of the story objective caught my eye, I flew toward and saw the island on the way, I juuuuuuust barely got to it before running out of stamina. the shrine on the island was a basic combat tutorial and now I really feel like I’m following the intended path and this was a tutorial along the way. But dang if it wasn’t a wild ride getting there.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Hawkperson posted:

Is it worth doing the temples and getting the abilities bc I really liked exploring a ton in botw and saving them for last. I did do the rito temple and have my bird sidekick, should I do the other three?
I regularly use Riju's op Thor's lightning arrow ability and the bird's wind gust utility, so it's worth at least getting some of the squaddies, but not the whole crew since the chonky boys just tend to loiter around obstructing everything in front of you.

Also - Zelda: Koroks of Twisted Metal 2
https://i.imgur.com/Cakcnz5.mp4

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i finally finished a dungeon and went back to lookout point

its very funny talking to josha after having already done a lot of exploring. "Hey can you go check THIS out, I bet it'd be really neat... wait what do you mean you already did? Oh, okay. Um. Well, maybe have you considering taking a picture of this other thing i want to research? ...wait, you already took a picture of that too?? just because you thought it looked cool???"

also I was able to kill a group of gloom floormaster things and then the boss that they spawn afterwards. Now i have a sweet-rear end club!! If only it didn't eat my soul to wield it, alas.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just encountered an Electric Gleeok and wow is it intimidating. I’ll save that for when I have more than five hearts I think

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom: Korok Space Progam

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

hatty posted:

I just encountered an Electric Gleeok and wow is it intimidating. I’ll save that for when I have more than five hearts I think

Lol, I wandered into that earlier and it's probably the coolest looking thing I've found so far. I got too invested in trying to take photos and it sniped me way outside the actual location it's in :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I landed and it auto saved right outside the first one I encountered. Kept dying on reloading trying to run away lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
How are you all upgrading your batteries so fast?

I've been returning to farm near the foundry in the tutorial area and buying all the crystals, but it's 10 a time and you need 100 for a single upgrade.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pentyne posted:

How are you all upgrading your batteries so fast?

I've been returning to farm near the foundry in the tutorial area and buying all the crystals, but it's 10 a time and you need 100 for a single upgrade.

the depths. there are mines and quarries scattered throughout. the former have much more robust energy charge shops

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

You think it would be so hard to find giant glowing roots in the depths but I’ve been wandering in the dark for an hour now and am down to 2 non-gloomed hearts.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

You think it would be so hard to find giant glowing roots in the depths but I’ve been wandering in the dark for an hour now and am down to 2 non-gloomed hearts.

Yeah I've only checked about 3 depths so far, the glow abillity is so useful I kind of wanted to wait for the armor.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I've only done the one mission so far in the depths, they freak me out. Can I ascend at anytime? Although I guess it doesn't matter since I can fast travel to any shrine I want.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
For the depths, the bone horses are immune to gloom and make traversal SO MUCH easier.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

the killer is you can't see your elevation in the dark and the map is sectioned off by impassable walls, so you might be groping around at the bottom of a very deep hole while all the roots are still up top

generally each root is visible from an adjacent one but it's brutal when the daisy chain breaks

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

For the depths, the bone horses are immune to gloom and make traversal SO MUCH easier.

Also vehicles, carts on your shield make a great skateboard for the gloom too.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

the killer is you can't see your elevation in the dark and the map is sectioned off by impassable walls, so you might be groping around at the bottom of a very deep hole while all the roots are still up top

generally each root is visible from an adjacent one but it's brutal when the daisy chain breaks
an important part of the roots is that they are almost always located directly underneath a shrine on the surface, so you can use that to pinpoint them if you cant see any.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Nihonniboku posted:

I've only done the one mission so far in the depths, they freak me out. Can I ascend at anytime? Although I guess it doesn't matter since I can fast travel to any shrine I want.

No the spots where you can ascend are like some very specific things jutting from the ceiling but in my experience they tend to lead you to something interesting on the surface so hit them up if you can

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Does this thread care about storyline chat/timeline stuff? Or is there another thread where it's discussed?

Jiro fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 15, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
We had a spoiler thread when folks were playing leaked copy but I think everyone posts in here now anyway.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Blaziken386 posted:

an important part of the roots is that they are almost always located directly underneath a shrine on the surface, so you can use that to pinpoint them if you cant see any.

As you can imagine this is also useful for finding shrines on the surface that you haven’t seen yet or are obscured in some way

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

this phantom armor is hideous

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

YggiDee posted:

We had a spoiler thread when folks were playing leaked copy but I think everyone posts in here now anyway.

Makes sense!

After witnessing all the dragon tears, Zelda's dragon eyes being all iguana gecko-like weirds me out, but Ganondorf just possibly being a whole rear end separate Ganondorf from the Calamity Ganon of BoTW, since the game is absolutely not about anything resembling the Triforce but infini.....sacred stones. I don't think there was ever going to be any sort of timeline merging now that you're having ANOTHER First King of Hyrule retcon and no mention of the Master Sword existing in that era whatsoever. I'm just kinda wondering other than all the cool poo poo you can do and Dragon Ganon being a massive wet fart of an end boss, where the game can go from here lore wise.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Amiibo spoilers

What gave it away?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

went to the gerudo area and three things immediately happened

1: I love how the memory nearby is like, deliberately referencing Ocarina of Time both in camera angles and zelda's line about him having darkness in his heart. Also goddamn ganondorf is hot.
2: i did a shrine and audibly gasped when i realized that the zonai cart i've been using for my vehicles (because it looks neat) can be used as a SANDBOAT when flipped upside down
3: this is the first place where wearing the yiga mask means that people treat you as a yiga, by which i mean, they tell you to eat poo poo and gently caress off. That rules. I know the sheikah get all scared for a moment but then tell you to cut it out and stop pranking them, but they still talk with you normally because they know who you are. The gerudo are basically spitting on you as soon as you walk into town, I love when outfit customization is remarked upon.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Anyone happen to have pics handy of the (memories related) order of the memories in that one place, I auto deleted my whole album when it got full and then went “oh poo poo” lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
drat like 4 of the pics I took of ancient Hylian sky tablets didn't count for some reason

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I’ve put an unholy amount of hours into this game order the last 72 hours. More than any video game in my life. It is absolutely the greatest video game ever made. I don’t think there’s even a close second. It takes elements from the entire series to create a Grand Unified Zelda Experience. (Okay, not really, since it still doesn’t have the classic dungeon+item setup.) I feel like it’s pulling a lot from Wind Waker but I don’t know exactly how yet. Just a vibe I’m getting.

One of my favorite changes to the game is how much more ALIVE Hyrule feels. Not just in terms of stuff to do, but the populace itself. It feels like people are all over the place and they have much deeper personalities and a LOT more side quests. BotW felt like a world where you were pretty much just alone, experiencing things that everyone else in Hyrule wasn’t privy too. This time though, there’s a real sense of civilization and active participation by NPCs. I just finished the Great Fairy quest, and seeing those musicians play with them felt so strange because in BotW it seems like no one but Link could ever possibly interact with them. And each musician had their own cute moment that was incredibly memorable. The Flautist quest is going to stick with me for awhile.

The best way I can describe TotK is comparing it to a really great buffet. All the food available looks delicious and you fill your plate up, and it’s somehow better than it looks. And you eat too much but you can’t stop and you just want to gorge yourself until you die. I played so much on Friday that I was honestly fatigued by the end. I wish I had taken tomorrow off work as well, but I’m also grateful that I’ll be forced to pull myself away from this game because all I want to do is consume every little bit of it.

I started my playthrough with no warping so I could really take in everything, but I quickly realized that this was leaving me feeling anxious all the time like I was missing out on so much. Now I’m teleporting left and right so I can just complete as much as possible. Eventually I’ll feel satisfied enough to enjoy the game at a more leisurely pace. But for now it’s just GO GO GO.

And there’s been a lot of discussion about the Rito Main Quest, and rightfully so. But for me the entire Zora Quest was mind blowing. Some of my favorite video game moments ever. In any other game, either of these sequences would be the big climax of the game, but in TotK they’re right at the beginning.

Somehow TotK has wildly surpassed by incredibly high expectations. Even without the Nuts & Bolts stuff, this would be GOAT. But there’s an entire extra game within this game and I can’t wait to play that more.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

went to the gerudo area and three things immediately happened

1: I love how the memory nearby is like, deliberately referencing Ocarina of Time both in camera angles and zelda's line about him having darkness in his heart. Also goddamn ganondorf is hot.
2: i did a shrine and audibly gasped when i realized that the zonai cart i've been using for my vehicles (because it looks neat) can be used as a SANDBOAT when flipped upside down
3: this is the first place where wearing the yiga mask means that people treat you as a yiga, by which i mean, they tell you to eat poo poo and gently caress off. That rules. I know the sheikah get all scared for a moment but then tell you to cut it out and stop pranking them, but they still talk with you normally because they know who you are. The gerudo are basically spitting on you as soon as you walk into town, I love when outfit customization is remarked upon.
4: oh what the gently caress there are GIBIDO in this game??? god this loving rules. (i literally had to open the compendium entry to figure out how i was supposed to kill them)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Can't believe I have to go to work today instead of poopsocking this game some more :mad:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Riot dungeon was really cool, boss was easy but definitely felt climactic in a way that the blight ganons didn’t

got lost in a massive cave, finally met a great fairy, and now heading my way over to Necluda. Really excited to see what’s up in the different villages, random NPCs have been hyping them up to me on a regular basis.

the world feels so alive, every location has something going on and there are so many NPCs coming and going all the time and lots of new characters. even Lurelin village apparently has a quest for me to check out, that place just had a shrine and a gambling addict in BoTW

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Just got to the wind temple and fuuuuuck. I never played Skyrim or other AAA games of late, but is this much 'vertical' something other games have achieved? Had a similar reaction to how far down you dive for the crevasses, but it just goes and goes and goes and goes in a way that feels truly monumental.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Echoing everyone else, the game designers were just flat loving showing off when they made the approach to the wind temple.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Today, we decided we wanted to check out the korok forest and see what they were up to. Holy hell what a day it was, from the journey there to the confrontations along the way to the capstone encounter. This game rocks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Just got to the wind temple and fuuuuuck. I never played Skyrim or other AAA games of late, but is this much 'vertical' something other games have achieved? Had a similar reaction to how far down you dive for the crevasses, but it just goes and goes and goes and goes in a way that feels truly monumental.

It's definitely the farthest I've fallen to my death in a non-bottomless pit environment when I hosed up along the way :five:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the wind temple approach could have lost the back half of it, that was a bit much

still rad tho

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
But really, though, what about Zunk?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

water temple: ugh what a great loving dungeon, both the lead up to the temple and the temple. i want a whole game with the physics of that area. give me a whole game in a bounce house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gamerofthegame posted:

the wind temple approach could have lost the back half of it, that was a bit much

still rad tho

nah man, Finding a small armada of flying trampoline boats encircling a hurricane and just letting you bounce your way up and over the hurricane was the perfect capstone to it.

I sincerely wonder if sky diving is going to see a rise in popularity thanks to this game.