Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

SimonSays posted:

That looks exactly like butternut, though you wouldn't want anything to do with its sapwood.

I've never used butternut. What is bad about the sapwood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

jarofpiss posted:

how are benchmark combination squares? should i just bite the bullet and get the starrett instead?

i’m generally inclined toward the buy it for life side of tools, but i’m putting my workbench together this week in my kitchen and already bought the vise etc so saving some money would be nice. even if it’s just 80 bucks or so.

I bought a PEC "blemish" square. These are factory rejects due to cosmetic issues, not accuracy, and they're discounted quite a bit. The place I got mine from (Taylor Tools) seem to be out right now but this other site I've seen mentioned on reddit has them.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

There's got to be a better way to do liquid inlays of epoxies and stuff than just slathering a mountain on and spending all day sanding it back off. Right? But that's all i ever see people do, and I can't figure out a reliable way to pour more accurately

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I've seen people make a sort of sled with guide rails for using a router to basically plane off the top layer rather than sanding for epoxy pour tables

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Skunkduster posted:

I've never used butternut. What is bad about the sapwood?

In my experience just punky and brittle, but you won't have sapwood if you're buying butternut, like how you don't have oak sapwood (hopefully) at the lumberyard. My butternut was from a tree that died of old age and I had plenty of good heartwood after chopping off the sapwood, you can't confuse them.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
There's someone near me selling what seems like an untouched Grizzly GO452 jointer for $415 which seems like a crazy good deal. Not sure where I'd fit it in my shop.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

There's got to be a better way to do liquid inlays of epoxies and stuff than just slathering a mountain on and spending all day sanding it back off. Right? But that's all i ever see people do, and I can't figure out a reliable way to pour more accurately

Do you even squeegee?

(looks hella cool though)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

unfortunately this one's sulfur, not epoxy, so that is what it looks like squeegeed :v:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Danhenge posted:

There's someone near me selling what seems like an untouched Grizzly GO452 jointer for $415 which seems like a crazy good deal. Not sure where I'd fit it in my shop.
GO4It

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

unfortunately this one's sulfur, not epoxy, so that is what it looks like squeegeed :v:

I have never heard of this. How does one do sulfur inlay and what does it look like under finish and why use it instead of epoxy?

e: huh, cool https://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2005-01/worst-way-inlay/

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 12, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Only suggestion I would have is to go over it lightly with a heat gun or propane torch to remelt the bubbly or mispoured areas. You should be able to melt the sulfur without burning the wood if you're careful.

You can also squeegee off some of the excess while it's still molten to save yourself some sanding. With epoxy, if I come back after a couple hours while it's still kind of gummy I can use a chisel to peel away most of the excess to leave me with minimal sanding. I imagine sulfur is a lot less forgiving, though.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Bro no
Bro why

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have never heard of this. How does one do sulfur inlay and what does it look like under finish and why use it instead of epoxy?

e: huh, cool https://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2005-01/worst-way-inlay/

They're popsci-ing it up a lot in that article but yeah you just get a bag of sulfur powder (not the low-grade fertilizer stuff) and melt it at 200° and pour it in. It's one of the few materials castable at that temperature range that expands as it cools, so it does a really good job of locking itself in and then stays stable forever - it does start cracking immediately on solidifying and apparently keeps doing so as the wood moves, but it just stays in anyway and that's what turns it ivory-white over time

I'm doing it mostly to show off for a fusty old artisans' guild and cause my wife thought it was cool, but having something you can just remelt if anything goes wrong is definitely a handy option for more complicated designs.

Here's what it looks like under finish for the first month or two. Kinda garish right now, but the last ones lost their color pretty quickly so I'm hoping for it to get paler as the cherry deepens

Deteriorata posted:

Only suggestion I would have is to go over it lightly with a heat gun or propane torch to remelt the bubbly or mispoured areas. You should be able to melt the sulfur without burning the wood if you're careful.

You can also squeegee off some of the excess while it's still molten to save yourself some sanding. With epoxy, if I come back after a couple hours while it's still kind of gummy I can use a chisel to peel away most of the excess to leave me with minimal sanding. I imagine sulfur is a lot less forgiving, though.

I've had epoxies pull out trying to scrape em like that, but I'd probably waited too long. Heat gun works a treat (also great for fixing bubbles here) but open flames + this stuff is a definite no, that's where the fumes and smell kick in

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 12, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Neat info! Looks cool. I usually level inlay of all sorts with a belt sander and it’s pretty quick as long as it’s not something that clogs belts real bad like yellow glue or super glue. Definitely much much faster than an orbital sander.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I’m new to woodworking. I got a scroll saw for Christmas and I finally made something that I think is worth finishing. It’s made from a scrap of cherry and I plan on attaching a barrette back to it. Any recommendations on how to finish it? I am overwhelmed by the amount of options when I search online.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Danish oil or polyurethane or both

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Staryberry posted:

I’m new to woodworking. I got a scroll saw for Christmas and I finally made something that I think is worth finishing. It’s made from a scrap of cherry and I plan on attaching a barrette back to it. Any recommendations on how to finish it? I am overwhelmed by the amount of options when I search online.

That looks really nice, great job!

I would probably use Danish oil, you should be able to find Watco brand at Lowe's Depot. It's very easy to use -- wipe on with a rag, wait a few minutes, wipe off the excess, repeat. It'll take a couple days for it to cure completely, but it can be fully applied in like, 30 minutes, and it's virtually foolproof.

Just make sure you get the "natural" color and not one of the ones with crappy stain in it. Cherry looks beautiful under a neutral oil finish.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I had covid for a month so I haven't been able to get into the shop for a long while, but I finally had the right combination of no plague and excess time.
Didn't want to put big screws in 113 year old collar ties (hanging stuff from them is already sort of dubious, but here I am), so I made quick and dirty little hook-things out of some hickory and mortised in a slot for a piece of flat bar.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Poly and danish oil will produce a somewhat thicker, glossy finish. Boiled linseed oil or Waterlox or the like are thinner and will soak into the wood for a more matte, "natural"-looking finish. Beyond that it's mostly minor differences in toughness and yellowing and vibes, you just end up settling on a couple you like

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I just found this on Amazon. I'm not sure what idea their marketing person was intending to convey with this image.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Spending money on actual photos of the item in use is just too expensive if you're hawking Fisher-Price gauge blocks to confused woodworkers, so photoshopping it into random pictures of a table saw in use it is.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Everything on amazon these days is just drop-shippers reselling products they never actually stock. The business model is basically some dude with a laptop in Bali photoshopping the product into images for marketing and having it shipped directly from the factory to you while pocketing the markup.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

shipping it directly from the factory would take more than a day, they have colossal warehouses just outside every city stocked with all this crap on the off chance some chump will buy one lmao

been surfacing last spring's batch of my terrible DIY lumber, had this spalted sycamore sitting around drying for a year while I figured out how I felt about all the powder post beetle holes in it, but there's no new holes or frass so I guess how I feel is they're gone now

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 15, 2023

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You know, I never would have guessed that in a million years the woodworking thread on the something awful forums of all places would contribute to my degeneracy

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsNLMrsIwBg/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Instagram says this is a broken link?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

PokeJoe posted:

You know, I never would have guessed that in a million years the woodworking thread on the something awful forums of all places would contribute to my degeneracy

Posting paddles in the woodworking thread?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Worked for me, it's a simple cool router flush trim jig.

The gist is you out some tape on the base of the router and then glue a wood block to the tape. Set the router dept until it just cuts through the bottom of the block and you've got a flush trim guy

E: ^ lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

it works on desktop, maybe it's the trailing characters loving it up, it's one of those flush-cutting router jigs which is a pretty good idea but this particular one is held together with tape??? and only works if the thing is already almost perfectly flat

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also that dude puts his fingers really far far too close to the business end of that router that is secured to a piece of wood with tape.

Do not do this folks. The router base often has holes you can use to secure it to a jig with screws, and you should safely hold your work down so you never have to put your hand near the work area.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Also that dude puts his fingers really far far too close to the business end of that router that is secured to a piece of wood with tape.

Do not do this folks. The router base often has holes you can use to secure it to a jig with screws, and you should safely hold your work down so you never have to put your hand near the work area.

Yeah, I didn’t see that he didn’t screw it on at some point. I figured he was doing that to keep alignment first. That is a bit :magical:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sockington posted:

Yeah, I didn’t see that he didn’t screw it on at some point. I figured he was doing that to keep alignment first. That is a bit :magical:

lmfao me neither. don't make a jig held on w tape

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

At this point every time a sped-up Instagram video of someone doing a "hack" in a workshop starts i just assume I'm watching the first half of a snuff film

e: officially endorsed by Titebond lmao

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
At least he's consist in his disregard for personal safety, not wearing a mask while routing epoxy with this "jig".

(The comments talking about how ~genius~ this is are a treat too. Either fake or rather telling about the epoxy cutting board crowd, whichever depresses you more.)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Why would you use epoxy in a cutting board. That’s not food safe and is going to both wear your knives and look like crap after getting used.

Guess you have to just never cook to think it’s a good idea.

It’s going to melt if you put a hot pan on it too. Where’s the utility of the piece.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sells at a flea market?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You wouldn't believe some of the horrible epoxy poo poo I've seen at flea markets

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jhet posted:

Why would you use epoxy in a cutting board. That’s not food safe and is going to both wear your knives and look like crap after getting used.

Guess you have to just never cook to think it’s a good idea.

It’s going to melt if you put a hot pan on it too. Where’s the utility of the piece.

The target market for fancy cutting boards and other ornamental kitchenware does not, on the whole, cook

the utility is to fill up a room that comes standard in every house but a probable minority of adults actually use on anything like a regular basis as anything but a place to keep the microwave, and an epoxy board is plenty tough enough to ride out thanksgivings and the one week someone's been binge watching the Great British Baking Show. the last time I sold cutting boards the vendor wanted not only loads of epoxy but mounting hardware on the back, so you could hang it on the wall like a picture

to be fair the same kind of impetus has kept my shop well stocked in high-end lightly-used secondhand power tools; I don't know what most people do with their time other than buy poo poo

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 16, 2023

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
A lot of the time they are sold as Charcuterie boards and not cutting boards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

it works on desktop, maybe it's the trailing characters loving it up, it's one of those flush-cutting router jigs which is a pretty good idea but this particular one is held together with tape??? and only works if the thing is already almost perfectly flat

That worked! Thank you.