Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Isn't there already a running joke that people don't so much BUY beer in the Drum as they do rent it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

A Moose posted:

Isn't there already a running joke that people don't so much BUY beer in the Drum as they do rent it?

I think that's a real world thing too. Maybe UK.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, NFTs would definitely be his thing.

Actually, I'd love to see Dibbler discover the modern EULA and software licensing models. "So instead of owning the thing, it's more that you... don't own the thing. But you still give me money for it."

The Truth posted:

‘You have wisely purchased the Dis-organizer Mk II, the latest in biothaumaturgic design, with a host of useful features and no resemblance whatsoever to the Mk I which you may have inadvertently destroyed by stamping on it heavily!’ it said, adding, ‘This device is provided without warranty of any kind as to reliability, accuracy, existence or otherwise or fitness for any particular purpose and Bioalchemic Products specifically does not warrant, guarantee, imply or make any representations as to its merchantability for any particular purpose and furthermore shall have no liability for or responsibility to you or any other person, entity or deity with respect of any loss or damage whatsoever caused by this device or object or by any attempts to destroy it by hammering it against a wall or dropping it into a deep well or any other means whatsoever and moreover asserts that you indicate your acceptance of this agreement or any other agreement that may be substituted at any time by coming within five miles of the product or observing it through large telescopes or by any other means because you are such an easily cowed moron who will happily accept arrogant and unilateral conditions on a piece of highly priced garbage that you would not dream of accepting on a bag of dog biscuits and is used solely at your own risk.’

And that from The Year 2000!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tac Dibar posted:

I have to confess that I was a bit disappointed with Making Money back in the day. I had hoped that Pterry would focus more on the illusory nature of money, and maybe play around with financial bubbles. These would, in my opinion, fit perfectly into the Discworld setting. CMOT Dibbler could easily had been at the center of some bitcoin-like scheme, where people go nuts over the chance of making money. That would also have fit with the themes of the previous Moist von Lipwig book. Moist could have been trying to ride the bubble’s wave and keep the whole economic system from crashing, or something.

One reason I hoped for something like that is that I know that Terry enjoyed the book “Extraordinary Popular delusions and the Madness of Crowds” (1841) by Charles Mackay, which contains many passages that sound very Discworld-like. I especially enjoyed the chapter on the south-sea bubble, where people went bananas over investing in all kinds of schemes due to the success of the South Sea Company. In one story, people were very excited by the prospect of investing in what the founder described as “A company for carrying on an undertaking of great advantage, but nobody to know what it is.”

Mackay writes:

The whole thing could be straight out of a Discworld book.

That's more what Going Postal is about though, with the concept of "can't fool an honest man" and a venture capitalist as a literal pirate.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Ok, so I tried Nation again after all the love it gets in this thread, but it absolutely failed to grab me after 100 pages. I finished it the first time, years ago, but I don't really want to force myself to keep going.

I don't really care about any of the characters, which in a Pratchett book is extremely unusual.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Beachcomber posted:

Ok, so I tried Nation again after all the love it gets in this thread, but it absolutely failed to grab me after 100 pages. I finished it the first time, years ago, but I don't really want to force myself to keep going.

I don't really care about any of the characters, which in a Pratchett book is extremely unusual.

It wasn’t my favorite either, some books just don’t hit for some people :shrug:

I also greatly disliked Dodger, it and Nation always felt a little too on the nose for me, I suppose I just like the absurdism of Discworld to soften the message and feel a bit less preachy

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=800526171429616&set=a.204311594384413

Not sure what to make of this. After all,

https://twitter.com/rhipratchett/status/606868542412193792

I truly hope this turns out to be a tangentially related spin-off in the vein of "Nanny Ogg's Cookbook", and not a case of "welp, we've run out of money, time to dig up the corpse and milk it"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Considering those particular books were written for her, it seems reasonable and I am fine with it

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Woman who says she'll be involved with adaptations, spinoffs and tie-ins co-writes a tie-in, deeply troubling

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SirSamVimes posted:

Woman who says she'll be involved with adaptations, spinoffs and tie-ins co-writes a tie-in, deeply troubling

It's this. Rhi specifically stated that she wasn't going to write Discworld novels. This isn't a Discworld novel.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
RE: guilds effectively policing their respective activities, do we ever really see that outside of the Thieves' Guild? Like, I don't recall ever seeing the Assassin's Guild prosecuting unlicensed murders, possibly because assassins don't murder people so they wouldn't consider it within their purview. A lot of other guilds like Musicians and Engravers crack down on things that aren't normally crimes, outside of the very technical definition of "doing X without a guild license is illegal because we say it is". Maybe the Fools' Guild maintains a roving street mime patrol to find people to throw in the scorpion pit.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Wingnut Ninja posted:

RE: guilds effectively policing their respective activities, do we ever really see that outside of the Thieves' Guild? Like, I don't recall ever seeing the Assassin's Guild prosecuting unlicensed murders, possibly because assassins don't murder people so they wouldn't consider it within their purview. A lot of other guilds like Musicians and Engravers crack down on things that aren't normally crimes, outside of the very technical definition of "doing X without a guild license is illegal because we say it is". Maybe the Fools' Guild maintains a roving street mime patrol to find people to throw in the scorpion pit.

Iirc Foul Ol’ Ron and his crew were kicked out of the Beggar’s Guild and beg illegally

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Maybe the Fools' Guild maintains a roving street mime patrol to find people to throw in the scorpion pit.
Under Vetinari? They'd end right in the scorpion pit next cell door.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 14, 2023

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

anilEhilated posted:

Under Vetinari? They'd end right in the scorpion pit next cell door.

No, that's what I meant, the Fools' Guild provides the enforcement arm of that policy, patrolling for street mimes.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I feel like there are a few references to the assassins taking a dim view of other people killing for money in particular. As opposed to beating people for money, and if they happen to die, that's a shame, or killing people on a recreational basis.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I know it's mentioned that the Assassin's guild regulates the trade of spring crossbows, and anybody who is caught carrying one better hope the Watch catches them because the guild will string them up without a second thought

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

thetoughestbean posted:

Iirc Foul Ol’ Ron and his crew were kicked out of the Beggar’s Guild and beg illegally

I got the feeling that Queen Molly viewed them as a sort of force of nature, and that they were too powerful and useful (in beggars' terms) to persecute in any way.

idonotlikepeas posted:

I feel like there are a few references to the assassins taking a dim view of other people killing for money in particular. As opposed to beating people for money, and if they happen to die, that's a shame, or killing people on a recreational basis.

If you shiv someone for their money and they die, that's just a violent theft. The thieves guild probably frowns on it, because you don't kill the cow instead of milking it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's actually a plot point in Discworld Noir. The main character gets accused of murder which means that the assassins tries to kill him.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
IIRC, the Musicians Guild threatens The Band With Rocks In because they aren’t in the Guild.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

A large portion of The Truth is Mr. Carney and the Engravers' Guild being pissy at William de Worde and the dwarves, isn't it?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

dervival posted:

A large portion of The Truth is Mr. Carney and the Engravers' Guild being pissy at William de Worde and the dwarves, isn't it?

I don’t think so. It’s much more about the institution of the newspaper being set up

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Fat Samurai posted:

IIRC, the Musicians Guild threatens The Band With Rocks In because they aren’t in the Guild.

Yeah, but that's just the guild enforcing their monopoly, I'm talking more about the idea that the Guilds cover a lot of the "law enforcement" aspects that the watch (at least early on) isn't able to. Like we don't see the Engravers' Guild enforcing copyright law, or a Merchants' Guild combating smuggling or counterfeit goods. It's always just the Thieves' Guild that gets brought up.

Like, I could imagine the Seamstresses taking some rather direct action regarding sex offenders, but that feels more like it's implied rather then ever actually depicted.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t think so. It’s much more about the institution of the newspaper being set up

dervival posted:

De Worde hired on his first reporter because she stormed into his office and called him out on how much they needed the money her dad made carving his letters. And the Wizards were super worried about the dangers of using the same printing press on multiple books with magic seeping in.

The "guilds enforcing their own laws" fell out of being brought up as often when The Watch stopped being a joke.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Like, I could imagine the Seamstresses taking some rather direct action regarding sex offenders, but that feels more like it's implied rather then ever actually depicted.

No, it's pretty much explicitly stated: https://wiki.lspace.org/Agony_Aunts

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I got my copy of A Life With Footnotes today. Very excited for it to destroy me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Wingnut Ninja posted:

No, that's what I meant, the Fools' Guild provides the enforcement arm of that policy, patrolling for street mimes.

Perhaps they could be sentenced to public works as community service instead of the scorpion pit. I'm sure city sanitation could use the help of some mime sweepers.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Anyone here read 13 O'clock by Kornbluth? It's one of my favorite short stories (novellas?) and the humor and setting really reminds me of Pratchett. I'm curious if he'd ever read it himself.

https://gutenberg.ca/ebooks/kornbluthcm-thirteenoclock/kornbluthcm-thirteenoclock-00-h.html

It's a quick read and if you're a Pratchett fan I don't think you can go wrong reading it, it's pretty great. A sort of proto-pratchett? It's genuinely impressive how much worldbuilding Kornbluth manages to squeeze in to a pretty short text.

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 24, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I haven't and I'll give it a look later - I know Kornbluth best from "The Marching Morons", which was basically the same premise as Idiocracy 55 years before Idiocracy

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I am presently reading the sci-fi series Children of Earth by Adrian Tchaikovsky, and he's clearly deeply influenced by Pratchett. In addition to one or two pretty direct lifts, he's managed to somehow justify within a mostly hard sci-fi setting having a version of Hex.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Narsham posted:

I am presently reading the sci-fi series Children of Earth by Adrian Tchaikovsky, and he's clearly deeply influenced by Pratchett. In addition to one or two pretty direct lifts, he's managed to somehow justify within a mostly hard sci-fi setting having a version of Hex.

Oh wow, I got the first one free on Kindle and thought it was pretty neat, I didn't realize there were more books.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Oh wow, I got the first one free on Kindle and thought it was pretty neat, I didn't realize there were more books.

Yep, Children of Ruin and Children of Memory.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I finished Night Watch for the first time last night, coincidentally on lilac day. It was great!

I’ve looked ahead and I can’t believe there’s only like a dozen of these things left!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Night Watch is very easily the best Discword novel and it's not even close. The late 90s-early 2000s is the most prime Discworld era ending at Unseen Academicals. Terry really amping it up to eleven with The Truth, The Wee Free Men, Going Postal, just top tier Discworld

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'd personally call Thief of Time the best Discworld novel, but Night Watch is a close second.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SirSamVimes posted:

I'd personally call Thief of Time the best Discworld novel, but Night Watch is a close second.

:hmmyes:

Hogfather’s probably my number three

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SirSamVimes posted:

Interesting call, I've never seen that one at the top of any lists. Why do you like it?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Just thinking again how much I love Djel-I-Bey-Bi (lit: Child of the Djel) as a pun.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

That's got nothing on Terry on the usenet noting that Hersheba would've worked better on American audiences, and then actually using it later

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

sebmojo posted:

Interesting call, I've never seen that one at the top of any lists. Why do you like it?

Death & Co are a great set of characters, Susan is cool, I like the history monks, and there's some weird and interesting mythological/deity concepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I'd also rate Thief of Time among my highest. Any book with Lu-Tze in it is a top-3 Discworld book (Night Watch, Thief of Time, and Small Gods).