Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mindblast posted:

This doesn't bode well for grunt kits... :saddowns::arghfist:

I mean, the new grunts sold out pretty fast, and most of them still seem to move at a regular rate. Maybe it looks different with a fuller picture, but right now it looks like it's more Grassley is unpopular than grunts being unpopular.

Rules seem to be a bit different for grunts anyway. The Leo is beloved more for its crapbox status than for when the heroes do cool things with them (although that probably doesn't hurt) and the Windam doesn't seem to have shelfwarmed despite them being basically unable to win in the show. The Dilanza Sol's only onscreen fight was against underequiped infantry, and it still lost, but the kit managed to sell out its first printing. (That said, it's kind of odd the grunt suit from Guel's focus episode doesn't have a kit on the schedule, even P-Bandai. Something with that many hero moments feels like you'd want to have it more than "Shaddiq's mook #4".)

The thing I find more curious is the Lfrith Jiu going P-Bandai only after the protagonist kits from the manga for Build Divers and Iron Blooded Orphans went retail (as did five suits from the IBO phone game). Heck, even the Kyoukai Senki sidestory got a retail release this year, and Kyoukai Senki did much worse than Witch by every metric I can find. It's odd, especially when the other Gundams are mostly the best sellers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

chiasaur11 posted:

The Dilanza Sol's only onscreen fight was against underequiped infantry, and it still lost, but the kit managed to sell out its first printing.

Hey, it also fought a Desultor in episode 12! (and lost)

God I want kits of the Desultor and Prodoros so goddamn bad, Dawn of Fold is definitely the organization in g-witch getting shafted the hardest in terms of gunpla representation with 0/2 mobile suits translated into plastic thus far.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Actually kinda slick though...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

chiasaur11 posted:

The thing I find more curious is the Lfrith Jiu going P-Bandai only after the protagonist kits from the manga for Build Divers and Iron Blooded Orphans went retail (as did five suits from the IBO phone game). Heck, even the Kyoukai Senki sidestory got a retail release this year, and Kyoukai Senki did much worse than Witch by every metric I can find. It's odd, especially when the other Gundams are mostly the best sellers.

I think they're just really going hard on p-bandai right now for whatever reason? The GP-00 and Rose are also kits that really should have been retail.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1657664658340458497?t=lrivffMmMX2654EqNAQ-RA&s=19

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

G-Witch grunt suits don't fuckin miss

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

And yet they have no one to fight. Release the Prodoros, Bandai!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Their box art is goddamn beautiful.

Napoleon Nelson posted:

And yet they have no one to fight. Release the Prodoros, Bandai!

Bandai response: Release the Premium Bandai, he says? You've got it!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Witch boxarts have been loving fantastic

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1657565074725249024?t=VIatXXMCXAp6NEt2eTWpkA&s=19

You know if the Michael's craft store in Canada got in on this it would make more sense.

I don't know what the character did but this is one of the only good designs in Witch. Sucks people have bad taste

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I like the suit well enough. But I haven't even gotten either HG Aerial yet (just have Chuchu's Demi Trainer, which won the season one 5 vs 5 fight against the Michaelis when the Aerial was about to lose lmao) so the Darilblade, Pharact and Michaelis are later plans. Shaddiq mostly sucks because he's been written like Akio from Utena.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Weird BIAS posted:

I like the suit well enough. But I haven't even gotten either HG Aerial yet (just have Chuchu's Demi Trainer, which won the season one 5 vs 5 fight against the Michaelis when the Aerial was about to lose lmao) so the Darilblade, Pharact and Michaelis are later plans. Shaddiq mostly sucks because he's been written like Akio from Utena.

Which if you paid attention was their plan from the start; They knew Shaddiq would laser-focus on the Aerial, so they had Suletta tank and distract while Chuchu set up a sniping shot on him.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There’s a story???

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A guy who loves Gunpla but doesn't know there's a show. They think it's really neat that there's little bits of flavor text with each model and you can try to piece together a story from it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The 30 Minute Missions way

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Souls storytelling

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ah yes, transcending history and the world. A tale of gunpla and P Bandai eternally retold.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gripweed posted:

A guy who loves Gunpla but doesn't know there's a show. They think it's really neat that there's little bits of flavor text with each model and you can try to piece together a story from it.

boz posted:

Souls storytelling

Turn A Gundam except instead of finding the mobile suits from the Dark History, it's just the gunpla

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

Turn A Gundam except instead of finding the mobile suits from the Dark History, it's just the gunpla

Turn B(uild) Gundam.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Assembly steps are the story

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tin Tim posted:

Assembly steps are the story

Turns out the real Gundams were the kits we made along the way.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

lmao

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Zaku II Type C-6 BUILT

what a blast, extremely pleased for how he turned out for only my second model and my first real deal HG one. no painting but I did the marker lining and finished off with a matte top spray and it looks superb. my only reservation is that the decals didn't come out well on anything on a curve - the shoulder pad and squad marking on the lower chest are the biggest offenders - but it's really only egregiously noticeable when you're looking at it up close. I also did a last-minute marking of the backpack before spraying and kind of wish I had waited to let it dry and shrink up a bit, but oh well. the microscopic warning/text decals that could fit on your pinky nail were a nightmare

Pictured here chilling in the Deskipality of Zeon with his best buddy Little Z

next up: Boss Man. won't be able to get started on him for another three weeks tho due to travel demands

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
IIRC Sazabi is the one where when they say "push as far as it will go" they loving mean it on the shoulder joints, you can gently caress them up by not putting them in far enough.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

wdarkk posted:

IIRC Sazabi is the one where when they say "push as far as it will go" they loving mean it on the shoulder joints, you can gently caress them up by not putting them in far enough.

noted, thanks for the advice. I'm aware this is gonna be a serious step up and am looking forward to it. my excitement is embodied

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BWOM

There's not much to write home about with the LED module, it's just lit-up eyes. But still kinda neat to have.

Pops out nice and easy, it just sits in the groove with nothing holding it in.

And is literally just a resistor and a few exposed wires inside, connected to a switch and three LR41 batteries.

I'm glad I played with painting the Cannon Party and Missile Party parts as well, because all assembled it came out wonderfully. I can't get a good photo of just how shiny and pretty they look. The red parts have a great weathered metallic effect to them now.

Overall this is definitely my favourite Moderoid kit so far, and still a great build even without painting. I really cannot understate how much metallic gold and silver paint are worth it for this though if you have the means, it elevates a good-looking kit into a great one.

edit:

Oh forgot the one other gimmick on it;

You can pop the collar around the cockpit up if you care to do so.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 16, 2023

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Oh gently caress yeah

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Cast in the mold of plastic, Ye not ugly

(great work)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And is literally just a resistor and a few exposed wires inside, connected to a switch and three LR41 batteries.

Honestly anything else is excessive. LEDs are an exceedingly cheap trick for the amount of pop they can add to a model. They can get more complex if you want to do something like wig-wams on emergency vehicles or aircraft beacons, but honestly the most difficult part of my DIY LED stuff is figuring out where to stick the wires and power source.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit:

Oh forgot the one other gimmick on it;

You can pop the collar around the cockpit up if you care to do so.

What kind of monster wouldn't care to do so?

boz
Oct 16, 2005
If anyone is interested in them, the Full Mechanics Aerial and Zeta Ver ka are up at Newtype and in stock as of right now.

edit: Aerial sold out, Zeta still up.

boz fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 17, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

boz posted:

If anyone is interested in them, the Full Mechanics Aerial and Zeta Ver ka are up at Newtype and in stock as of right now.

Yoink, tyvm. Grabbed an Aerial.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
If anyone is interested in competition building, hobby store MicroMark is awarding $1000 (!) and a commemorative plaque (!!!!) to the best mecha model submitted before September 30th:

https://www.micromark.com/Modeler-of-The-Year-2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Still a better pilot than Zoltan Akkanen.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Warmachine posted:

Holy gently caress

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SnakesRevenge posted:

Warmachine posted:

Holy duck

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Holy Headache...

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Finished my 3.0 grandad over the week, it's really an incredible suit. A lot of little pieces and fiddley bits to drive you mad but when it all clicks together at the end it feels so good.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 19, 2023

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

really nice job!! looks great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A friend gave me this kit but I might make him come over and build it himself while I make something else. A chatty little model making hangout sesh sounds like fun