Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

So I wonder if they’re gonna change Verin since she does very little on screen in the books and it’s mostly the Black Ajah reveal that cements why people like her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

Shageletic posted:

I'm reading Eye of the World right now and it's definitely not generic. The speech about Manatheren, the brutality and tenseness of the action scenes, the way that Emond's Field feels like a real live place, its as good as it gets for epic fantasy. It is OF a genre, but an exceptional case of it.

It was a successful book, and definitely it did things well, but the basic narrative structure of having five villagers flee an evil force, aided by a powerful mage, and facing a prophesied destiny, is derivative. That RJ executed the details well is what made the first book a success. I think it also enabled the later books, from TGH onward, to find more of their own voice.

TGH, by comparison, felt much more unique as a book to me and had some genuinely strange, fantastical, and even shocking moments. The narrative structure is more complex but also better executed, particularly the last fifth of the book.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Invalid Validation posted:

So I wonder if they’re gonna change Verin since she does very little on screen in the books and it’s mostly the Black Ajah reveal that cements why people like her.

She's around quite a bit in the early books, and her whole "distracted Brown" routine clearly being a cover for a sharp mind determined to meddle in things for an uncertain purpose makes her very interesting. The Black Ajah reveal is certainly cool but I wouldn't say it's the largest part of people's affection for her.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What's funny is there is this huge "what if VERIN is black ajah?? :aaaaa:" pall looming over most of the girls' interactions with her in Book 3.

By the time you get to the end you've all but forgotten about it so it's somehow still out of left field

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Page 192 of TEOFW Thom just does his dagger come out of the air trick.

And then there's this quick bit of description.

quote:

A low, delighted laugh floated from Moiraine

Lol that Thom made her laugh that early. No wonder they were an item.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Shageletic posted:

The "it came out of left field" about them never made sense to me

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Shageletic posted:

My memory ain't what it used to be. Did Thom dagger Moiraine?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Hughmoris posted:

My memory ain't what it used to be. Did Thom dagger Moiraine?

Depends on if that's a euphemism or not

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

She also was dancing and having a good time. The whole dichotomy of Moiraine being a normal person vs stern inscrutable wizard is just because from the two river's boys PoV she is second one and it doesn't even occur to them that she is just like, a person.

Same thing comes up later when Perrin is all "I think an enemy is following me. This girl keeps staring at me" and she has to explain the birds and the bees.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

silvergoose posted:

The "it came out of left field" about them never made sense to me

I mean, she's gone from the series for 8 books. It's not hard to forget or at least have your mind ignore one or two scenes that happened between Moiraine and Tom.

It's not out of nowhere but understandable why people think it is.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I absolutely do not see wolves, but there's honestly not enough detail to tell

https://twitter.com/thedustywheel/status/1658289173554688000

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I like the Ogier monocle of farseeing theory and also the slim poison vial one :shrug:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

CainFortea posted:

And yet plenty of people who didn't read the books liked the mystery. So it did seem like having it there was a good thing overall.

This is impossible to know since we don't have an A/B. Sure some non readers liked it, but who knows if they would have liked it more knowing who the Dragon was but getting more character development?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Shageletic posted:

Continuing my reread Jordan really did have a great handle on descriptive writing that convinced you were im a different time and place. Just details like using oak in a fire because it lasts longer is such great first person narration.

Then when the bucolic nature of the Two Rivers is ripped apart its such a huge shock. The whole sequence of the Trolloc attack on the Thor farmstead was such a breathless ride rife with super cool moments (stuff the TV show cut out like Tam demolishing 4 Trollocs and loving Narg!). It's such good writing and at such an early point of the series.

Jordan really was great.

he did what to narg?!

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I finished the books a little while back, having been prompted to read them by the TV show. I loved the series; even the much-maligned "slog" didn't bother me too much, though I have a lot of patience for slow stuff, and of course not having to wait for a new release to crack on when finishing a book was an optimal state of affairs.

Felt very liberating to suddenly be able to watch all the Youtube vids and read all the articles I wanted, which I had previously studiously avoided for fear of any spoilers.

It also compromised my enjoyment of the TV show a fair bit when I rewatched it after the books. Man, they changed so much. I guess they can be cut some slack given the Barney Harris/Covid factors, but still some of the alterations were weird.

One thing I think they thoroughly nailed was the casting. It's pretty much excellent throughout, from the Two Rivers kids, to Moiraine, Lan, Loial, Ishamael - just top notch. Loving the casting for the next series too, and am particularly excited to see Meera Syal. She's been very well known in the UK for a long time, mostly for TV comedy work, but the BAFTA Fellowship award she just won shows how generally well liked she is over here and what a strong overall career she's had. Delighted for her to have gotten this role.

Now announce a release date for S2 damnit, Amazon - it's getting ridiculous.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ChubbyChecker posted:

he did what to narg?!

I mean, you could call it slash fic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

; even the much-maligned "slog" didn't bother me too much,

The slog is a lot more tolerable once you don't have to wait for the next book. Those of us who read on release had to spend years waiting for a book and then nothing happened in it. Mat got buried under a wall at the end of book 7 and wasn't seen again for almost half a decade. Faile's captivity and rescue took just as long and was even more annoying for being in the books.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

This is impossible to know since we don't have an A/B. Sure some non readers liked it, but who knows if they would have liked it more knowing who the Dragon was but getting more character development?

I wasn't making an a/b comparison. The mystery of it worked. Clearly it did given how popular the show was. Could it have been better the other way? Possibly.

But trying to suss out that comparison is meaningless because we don't have the other way to compare it against.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

he did what to narg?!

don't ask don't tell don't narg

Anyvays got to Min's reading and meeting of Rand and this is such a wealth of inferences for a second time reader its insane. It's crazy how much is foreshadowed and spelled out in it (three mourning ladies, the crown of Illian, etc) and then there's the whole other subtext of Min finding out she's marrying this young farmer and grinning and laughing to herself like a freak causing Rand to freak out in turn and want to get the hell out of there. So glad I decided to pick these books up again a couple decades after first reading them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I pick new stuff up most times I reread it and lemme tell you I've read these books a lot of times, haha

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean, you could call it slash fic.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Invalid Validation posted:

Verin was a fan favorite long before that. She's a very well drawn and likeable character and she's just ambiguous enough to keep people guessing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

"should I give these notes to Egwene? Ehhhh. Should I burn them? Maybe, but I hate destroying knowledge..."

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

verin is a reminder that if you need to bind your dark and evil secret society to a blood oath, always retain counsel to review the language first

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Compulsion isnt forbidden so is the only explicit tell in book 2?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Compulsion isnt forbidden so is the only explicit tell in book 2?

I think it's book 4 when she thinks to herself "that should follow the oaths" or something, but she's pretty clearly always been playing an angle of some sort

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I think it's book 4 when she thinks to herself "that should follow the oaths" or something, but she's pretty clearly always been playing an angle of some sort

I mean, in book two when she tells Rand and co that Moiraine sent her, and later in the book Moiraine mentions that she did no such thing. These two things are like, 30 chapters apart and she's a very likable character so most people miss it on their first pass. Just an outright lie.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I mean, in book two when she tells Rand and co that Moiraine sent her, and later in the book Moiraine mentions that she did no such thing. These two things are like, 30 chapters apart and she's a very likable character so most people miss it on their first pass. Just an outright lie.

Not really though. Since it's all about truth as the speaker perceives it, not objective truth of the universe.

Moiraine said "Then we must find the dagger, Sister. Agelmar is sending men to hunt those who took the Horn and slew his oathmen, the same who took the dagger. If one is found, the other will be"

This is very clearly saying "We need to go find the dagger with Ingtar." And Verin feels she's part of "We".

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oh I didn't realize that quote was 30 chapters later, thanks. No wonder people think the books are drawn out. It's explicit foretelling and verin is black ajah. This isn't rocket science

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Might as well say moraine forgot and disregard everything in the text as unreliable. Maybe write a show after

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It is not explicit. You don't know what the word "explicit" means if you keep using it that way. Although given your entire lack of comprehension about this book series I suppose it's not surprising.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Verin was a fan favorite long before that. She's a very well drawn and likeable character and she's just ambiguous enough to keep people guessing.

Too subtle for TV though

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

CainFortea posted:

And yet plenty of people who didn't read the books liked the mystery. So it did seem like having it there was a good thing overall.

Also, there was no love triangle.
And plenty of people like the Star Wars prequels and sequels, GoT Seasons 5-8, the Hobbit movies and shows about the Kardashian’s.

Are you really still trying to convince the thread there was no love triangle? Thought it was pretty firmly established you were the only poster in here with that opinion the last time you brought it up.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I don't remember thinking there was an actual love triangle, just some idiots jumping to conclusions, which describes most wheel of time characters so I didn't really mind the episode

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There was no love triangle at all. Just a very brief scene where everybody's reacting to their worst fears being screamed in their head. One of which was very clearly lying about what his actual worst fear was.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

silvergoose posted:

I don't remember thinking there was an actual love triangle, just some idiots jumping to conclusions, which describes most wheel of time characters so I didn't really mind the episode

That reminds me of a great idea I had. It was a "Jump to Conclusions" mat. It would be this mat that you would put on the floor, and it would have different conclusions written on it that you could jump to!

Maybe it could be WoT themed.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
CainFortea's schtick was that since the "love triangle plot" didn't conclude in a love triangle, that we all just imagined the hints the show kept dropping of Perrin's attraction to Egwene, and that the big fight about it in episode 7 came out of thin air.

When in reality the show very deliberately built up the drama of a potential love triangle from episode 1 and onward.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

yeah, there was a needless love triangle

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Maybe stop picking fights with specific posters?

There was probably some attraction somewhere between platonic and childhood crush from Perrin, in my view, and Nynaeve and/or Rand took a glance as proof of desire, which also is incredibly Wheel of Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
You all need to re-watch the show.

They very deliberately start dropping hints as early as the 13 minute mark of episode 1, that at minimum Perrin has been carrying a torch for Egwene.

The scene where Nynaeve scolds Perrin for leaving his wife at the forge all day, while he's been at the inn to "celebrate Egwene". And the scene ends with him giving Egwene a long stare, then cuts to him and his wife at the forge. And there's obviously tension between the two of them over Egwene.