Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIhKsa3oYGk

That's quite the depiction of a Power Fist

<dope-slaps someone with a power fist; they disintegrate with a cartoon "bonk" sound effect>

ah gently caress I didn't mean to do this two pages in a row on purpose. here:

Mazed fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Pron on VHS posted:

That makes sense. Should I read Know No Fear before Betrayer? Based on plot blurbs they seem chronological. Legion is really great too, love the different feel and focus on imperial guard

ADB wrote a novella called 'Aurelian' that takes place between 'First Heretic' and 'Betrayer'. It's the story of Lorgar's journey into the Eye and his ascension. First Heretic > Aurelian > Betrayer is a straight-through ADB trilogy; it's just that the middle entry is novella length rather than full-blown novel.

'Know No Fear' is a different author, different narrative perspective, different tone, different Legion. And is also really good! To me it's very much "here's what was happening to the other side", a parallel tale rather than part of the trilogy.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Know no Fear is about Dan Abnett doing weird things with prose and it actually kinda works.

Aurelian is mandatory. You must enjoy ADB's parody of The Last Temptation of Christ.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Mazed posted:

Know no Fear is about Dan Abnett doing weird things with prose and it actually kinda works.

Aurelian is mandatory. You must enjoy ADB's parody of The Last Temptation of Christ.

I think I mentioned this before but I nearly bounced on Know No Fear after reading a bit of it because of that. I persevered and it turns out it's probably my overall favorite warhams book.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
There's another ADB short RIGHT before Betrayer thats the Word Bearers and World Eaters vs Eldar that also slaps.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

sharknado slashfic posted:

I think I mentioned this before but I nearly bounced on Know No Fear after reading a bit of it because of that. I persevered and it turns out it's probably my overall favorite warhams book.

yeah it makes a lot of sense to go, by about two pages in, like "okay what the gently caress is this"

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Know No Fear rules.

Guilliman summons the Master of the Vox with a quick gesture.

"Rescind my previous looped broadcast," he says, taking the speaker horn. "Replace it with this."

He hesitates, thinking, and then lifts his head and speaks cleanly and quickly into the device.

"Lorgar of Colchis. You may consider the following.

One: I entirely withdraw my previous offer of solemn ceasefire. It is cancelled, and will not be made again, to you or to any of your motherless bastards.

Two: You are no longer any brother of mine. I will find you, I will kill you, and I will hurl your toxic corpse into hell's mouth."

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I'd love to see Abnett write Guilliman again in the current timeline/Indomitus crusade.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Abnett has so much on his plate lmao. I'm fairly certain he's been tasked with The Big Reveal and it's gonna culminate with the end of the siege and the last Bequin book. It's also likely the Black Legion book that's been done for a year is being held back until the reveal happens.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Abnett has so much on his plate lmao. I'm fairly certain he's been tasked with The Big Reveal and it's gonna culminate with the end of the siege and the last Bequin book. It's also likely the Black Legion book that's been done for a year is being held back until the reveal happens.

Agreed. I am actually re-reading Black Legion and started wondering what Abaddon might have learned staring into the Astronomican for years, or what deals he might have struck. Then there is also Moriana who I am pretty sure is Cyrene, of course when it was written Cyrene hadn't shown back up in the Siege so that could change, but there are definitely a few mentions about how Moriana acts like someone used to being blind and she is ADB's character so she was at least originally written to be her. And then the last book is about Drach'nyen so I would assume it's going to tie into the big reveal as well.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

He's mentioned in a recent interview that he's currently working on something smaller that he's been wanting to write for years. Probably a palate cleanser after End and the Death.

For my money it's Interceptor City, the sequel to Double Eagle. He's been talking about that for years.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Agreed. I am actually re-reading Black Legion and started wondering what Abaddon might have learned staring into the Astronomican for years, or what deals he might have struck. Then there is also Moriana who I am pretty sure is Cyrene, of course when it was written Cyrene hadn't shown back up in the Siege so that could change, but there are definitely a few mentions about how Moriana acts like someone used to being blind and she is ADB's character so she was at least originally written to be her. And then the last book is about Drach'nyen so I would assume it's going to tie into the big reveal as well.

I thought Moriana was originally one of the first inquisitors before going Chaos.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm really, extremely glad that his health is back under control.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Biplane posted:

I thought Moriana was originally one of the first inquisitors before going Chaos.

She is, IIRC she's actually around as one of Malcador's people in TEatD.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Biplane posted:

wiegieman posted:

She is, IIRC she's actually around as one of Malcador's people in TEatD.

She was one of the four original inquisitors, and one of Malcador's Chosen is named Moriana in EatD. When Black Legion was written it was pretty clear Moriana was supposed to be Cyrene based on clues in the text and that ADB wrote her in HH and wrote Black Legion, but the Siege hadn't been written yet. Now that she has shown up in the siege as Actae they may have decided to go a different direction and that is why one of the chosen was named Moriana, or that could just be a coincidence or fakeout. I think it still makes the most sense that Moriana is Cyrene though because Actae's philosophy is basically Horusian in nature and given how the siege ends and plays out it would make sense Actae ends up with the same goals we know Moriana has. Plus Moriana is a perpetual and there is no indication the Moriana of Malcador's Chosen is.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Do we know she's a Perpetual? I figured she'd just been hiding in the Eye for a long time.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

a lovely king posted:

He's mentioned in a recent interview that he's currently working on something smaller that he's been wanting to write for years. Probably a palate cleanser after End and the Death.

For my money it's Interceptor City, the sequel to Double Eagle. He's been talking about that for years.

Wait. the last siege book isnt even written yet?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

von Metternich posted:

Do we know she's a Perpetual? I figured she'd just been hiding in the Eye for a long time.

Yeah it's part of her lore.

Nuclear War posted:

Wait. the last siege book isnt even written yet?

He wrote it as one book but it was so long it was split into two volumes. It's been done since the first volume was.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

?? And they haven’t released it ?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

euphronius posted:

?? And they haven’t released it ?

It still needs to be edited.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'm like 99% certain I've read in a book somewhere, maybe one of the black legion books? Someones talking about moriana to an imperial and is like "heh did you know abaddons chief seer was one of the post-heresy imperiums founders". Which as of now would rule out cyrene possibly?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Biplane posted:

I'm like 99% certain I've read in a book somewhere, maybe one of the black legion books? Someones talking about moriana to an imperial and is like "heh did you know abaddons chief seer was one of the post-heresy imperiums founders". Which as of now would rule out cyrene possibly?

I just reread it today. Khayon is talking to his inquisitorial captors and he tells them to look to their own archives.

quote:

And as for Moriana… Look for that name in your own ancient records, inquisitors. You will find her there, secreted within the deepest shadows. Doubtless her presence spread the same poison among your roots that it spread among ours.

As for why Black Legion heavily implies she is Cyrene:

quote:

‘What of you?’ I asked Moriana. ‘You are older than your physical form. Your soul is far older than your flesh. You have lived for centuries within this new Imperium, have you not? What, then, of your beliefs?’

Her soul older than her flesh? Cyrene was killed and then rebirthed in a new body later. She was then made a perpetual by the Cabal. Her soul would be older than her current body.

quote:

One of her most compelling habits was to speak without meeting her listeners’ eyes, her head tilted just so, her gaze unfocused, as though she was used to relying on senses beyond sight.

Cyrene was blinded in Monarchia before her first death. Besides that, Cyrene was a character in the HH books ADB wrote and he also wrote Black Legion. It is clear at the time he wrote Black Legion he intended Moriana to be Cyrene. What isn't clear is if that is still the plan, or if the plan changed when they finalized the end of the siege.

Personally, I think it still is the plan. Moriana was also the name of one of the four founders of the inquisition and she was a horusian. She left to follow her own ends with one of the other four founders and then later split from that one as well over the fact that she was willing to do anything to achieve her goals, including harnessing the power of chaos. That all lines up with Actae in EatD who straight up admits her purpose is to harness Horus power to destroy Chaos or stop him if she cannot (if Oll fails in stopping the emperor). Moriana admits straight up in Black Legion she believes the emperor is a god, or at least even if he isn't he is indistinguishable from a god, yet she still comes to Abaddon with her own purposes in seeing him succeed. So there is a pretty straight line from Cyrene to Rebirthed Perpetual to Actae the Horusian to Moriana the Horusian to Moriana who comes to the Black Legion with what seem to be Horusian beliefs.

Edit: The only wrench is that Abnett threw in a chosen of Malcador named Moriana, but honestly she seems like a one off and gives no indication that she would have any reason to be important enough to be one of the four founders of the inquisition besides being a chosen of Malcador. What is more likely is that when everything goes to poo poo Actae knows they aren't going to let this half chaos corrupted witch do anything important so she uses her powers to take the real Moriana's place and continue her mission of using chaos to defeat chaos.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 16, 2023

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The Moriana in EATD is Moriana Mouhausen, one of Malcador’s Chosen. She behaves totally consistently with a Horusian, including deep knowledge of Chaos, but the clincher is that her closest friend in EATD is Xanthus, founder of the Xanthite radical sect. It’s her.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The Moriana in EATD is Moriana Mouhausen, one of Malcador’s Chosen. She behaves totally consistently with a Horusian, including deep knowledge of Chaos, but the clincher is that her closest friend in EATD is Xanthus, founder of the Xanthite radical sect. It’s her.

I didn't catch the Xanthus = Xanthite thing, and it could speak to the plan for Cyrene changing once they finalized the ending of the siege, but a few things are wrong with this.

Moriana Mouhausen (the one in EatD) didn't behave consistently with a Horusian at all and demonstrated no deep knowledge of chaos. She was only in a couple of pages. She meets up with Xanthus about recruiting the Selenite to get back Fo from the Custodes but after their initial conversation he sends her back to her duties and continues on with just the Selenite and we don't see her again. I just reread all of that to double check and there is nothing at all pertaining to chaos or horusian beliefs coming from her. Again to my point that she seems like a red herring and wasn't given anything in the way of characterization suggesting she would be one of the four founding inquisitors other than her being one of the Chosen. Xanthus could certainly be the guy who founded the Xanthite sect but the lore states he was executed in M32 so he would somehow have to live another two thousand years.

I still think the likely thing to happen is that Actae, who we know actually does have a deep knowledge of Chaos and Horusian beliefs, after things go to poo poo with Horus wiped from existence and Emps on the golden throne decides she still has to be at the center of things to continue towards her goal and takes Moriana the chosen's place so she can found the inquisition and so on. That being said, even if what you propose is the case I firmly believe that at the time Black Legion was written ADB meant for Moriana = Cyrene as it seems pretty clear from the text and the lore at the time.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

My lunch break reading of the traitor half the HH Primarchs books continues.

I enjoyed the Konrad Curze one. It wasn't like, good, but it was fun camp-horror melodrama. It was nice seeing all the Night Lords character cameos. Sevatar continues to be excellent, benefitting perhaps from only showing up in small doses.

Now I'm reading the Angron one and the genre this belongs to is excessively gory slapstick tragicomedy.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Any prerequisites for Helsreach or can I jump right in?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

D-Pad posted:

Xanthus could certainly be the guy who founded the Xanthite sect but the lore states he was executed in M32 so he would somehow have to live another two thousand years.

Does Fo appear anywhere outside of the siege? I wonder if his nuclear option is a red herring, maybe he's ultimately a device to bridge non-perpetual characters into later settings. (He can still brew his immortality elixir, right?)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Pron on VHS posted:

Any prerequisites for Helsreach or can I jump right in?

You can just jump into it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

moths posted:

Does Fo appear anywhere outside of the siege? I wonder if his nuclear option is a red herring, maybe he's ultimately a device to bridge non-perpetual characters into later settings. (He can still brew his immortality elixir, right?)

Not as far as we know so far. I highly doubt he makes it out of alive. The nuclear option seems like one of those things that'll just be left hanging that people talk about as always being there somewhere but doesn't ever really get revisited. Can he brew an immortality elixir? I don't remember that lore, but maybe you are just talking about however he has extended his life so far? I assume it is from some very unsavory bio-engineering on himself that's probably not as clean as whatever the Cabal did.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

He did it on himself, and I feel like he also suggests it as a bribe while trying to negotiate himself out of Blackstone.

I remember that he ages while incarcerated and can't get his drug, so it likely isn't (only) a genetic modification.

I think it's more of "fountain of youth" than anything the cabal came up with.

There's also some weird hints at Malcador's hand being at work through him, but we probably won't know what that means until later.

My guess is that he ends up stuck in a cell brewing Emperor-preservative for eternity.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

One of my favourite things about the HH is the little glimpses of the madness of pre-unification Terra. Just a cornucopia of sci fi/mad max weirdos

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I like Fo because it's somewhat reassuring to know that even quantum-forged demigods and everliving psykers can still get tricked by a con man.

I want him to unveil his superweapon and it's just the grimdark version of NFTs.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm one of those sickos that wants Age of Strife/Unification Wars novels although I acknowledge that we're probably better off without them

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm one of those sickos that wants Age of Strife/Unification Wars novels although I acknowledge that we're probably better off without them

I'm here for it and really you could do it and make it super interesting w various call backs and keep it low enough level that you don't screw up the mythology. Grunts ghosts but thunder warriors or just normal dudes. You could end it all at mt.arrat.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

OPAONI posted:

There's another ADB short RIGHT before Betrayer thats the Word Bearers and World Eaters vs Eldar that also slaps.

Oh, do you remember what it's called?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Genghis Cohen posted:

Oh, do you remember what it's called?

The Butcher's Nails.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Waroduce posted:

I'm here for it and really you could do it and make it super interesting w various call backs and keep it low enough level that you don't screw up the mythology. Grunts ghosts but thunder warriors or just normal dudes. You could end it all at mt.arrat.

grunts ghosts

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Sephyr posted:

The Butcher's Nails.

Oh yeah this one is sick as hell

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
It also has one of the funniest casual jokes in the series.

Lorgar and Angron are killing their way through a Dark Eldar flagship, and finally reach the bridge, only to encounter it a girsly spectacle of hanging chains, flayed corpses, stiched flesh and oily darkness. They look at each other and go

"Looks like Curze's bedroom here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

The butchers nails is an audio drama also. I got the hours heresy audio drama pack 1 and it's on there.

I still lol at the universes angriest boy being named Angron

Like if the he was sad instead his name would be Sadron