Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Currently I would probably go with drilling it out at the diameter of some wooden dowel I can find for sale and glue it in.

The standard way of doing this is to use flooring out of a closet for this kind of repair. If they have one with the same flooring this would give them some options from pulling up some sections of boards to just a hole saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Are there any good alternatives to Bondo for refinishing damaged plywood cabinets in high-traffic areas? Wood filler is too fragile, and I tried Bondo and it was a nightmare to deal with; curing either too fast or never curing at all, absorbs moisture, etc. I want something strong enough to take a little abuse, that can be shaped to accommodate some non-flat surfaces, and that can be sanded and painted with enamel or something oil-based.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Wood glue with sawdust

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

I have this hole in my floor from the old radiator pipe. Short of replacing the floorboards with new hardwood, is there a rubber stopper type thing I could use to fill it?

The This Old House youtube just did a thing about this, but it was involved replacing a piece of the floorboard.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

ephori posted:

Are there any good alternatives to Bondo for refinishing damaged plywood cabinets in high-traffic areas? Wood filler is too fragile, and I tried Bondo and it was a nightmare to deal with; curing either too fast or never curing at all, absorbs moisture, etc. I want something strong enough to take a little abuse, that can be shaped to accommodate some non-flat surfaces, and that can be sanded and painted with enamel or something oil-based.

Woodepox putty might do the trick.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Uncooked Ramen noodles, sunflower seeds, and superglue.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ephori posted:

There are various epoxy putties for this. Kwikwood is one, there’s a bunch of different brands. It come in a tube and you knead it together to mix the two parts. You can tint it with dry pigment powders or it takes stain okay-ish. Some brands of it smell like dog poop when you’re fixing them. If you’re gonna paint, you could use just plain JBWeld if you can’t find the wood stuff, but I see it at Home Depot/Lowe’s these days.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I have a bathroom that is not designed as a wet room, yet the shower has no door. As a result, water gets everywhere and has ruined the crappy MDF baseboard molding. The whole drat room needs to be redone, but what do I replace the baseboard with in the meantime?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Replace it with cheap PVC trim I guess? Whatever you put there is going to keep getting wet until you solve that issue, so whatever you put is gonna be temporary anyway.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

mutata posted:

Replace it with cheap PVC trim I guess? Whatever you put there is going to keep getting wet until you solve that issue, so whatever you put is gonna be temporary anyway.

I was thinking about biting the bullet and putting a tile trim, but I'd have to learn how. That might not be bad, since I'd gain some skills to use when we redo the whole thing next year. It's not a great time to sink a bunch of time or money into anything, though. (Do never buy :homebrew: )

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Brennanite posted:

I was thinking about biting the bullet and putting a tile trim, but I'd have to learn how. That might not be bad, since I'd gain some skills to use when we redo the whole thing next year. It's not a great time to sink a bunch of time or money into anything, though. (Do never buy :homebrew: )

Tilling is not hard and if you intend to do some of it later on this sounds like the absolute perfect job to practice on. Thing will go much easier for you the second time around.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Brennanite posted:

I have a bathroom that is not designed as a wet room, yet the shower has no door. As a result, water gets everywhere and has ruined the crappy MDF baseboard molding. The whole drat room needs to be redone, but what do I replace the baseboard with in the meantime?

In the meantime maybe see if you can get a shower curtain rod (many are cut to size) and plastic shower curtain to keep the water inside the shower. Won't help with steam but it should keep the water in.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I installed two of these things for wall exercises, the wall is cement. And yes it came with the special expanding cases for the screws for cement.

However when I tested it the left one came loose; (the right one is fine).

What would be a good way to reinforce it more? Should I put in screws in the other two spots? They seem kinda close together
and I'm worried it will just crack inbetween them further weakening the structural integrity.

A friend suggested epoxy, my dad was thinking larger cement screws, what do people think?

My intention is like gymnastic rings for pull ups sort of deal.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Raenir Salazar posted:

I installed two of these things for wall exercises, the wall is cement. And yes it came with the special expanding cases for the screws for cement.

However when I tested it the left one came loose; (the right one is fine).

What would be a good way to reinforce it more? Should I put in screws in the other two spots? They seem kinda close together
and I'm worried it will just crack inbetween them further weakening the structural integrity.

A friend suggested epoxy, my dad was thinking larger cement screws, what do people think?

My intention is like gymnastic rings for pull ups sort of deal.

Those are called sleeve anchors. The act of tightening the stud pulls its head towards the nut, which in turn pushes the sleeve towards the sides. Unless you pulled the stud all the way in and the hole was so wide that the fully expanded sleeve still couldn't grab it, you should be fine.

It could just be that you didn't tighten the nut enough. Try that first.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Motronic posted:

Tilling is not hard and if you intend to do some of it later on this sounds like the absolute perfect job to practice on. Thing will go much easier for you the second time around.

Unfortunately, spouse is not on-board with tiling. Something about my DIY projects tending to expand rapidly in scope and cost. Pfft. PVC trim it is.

Rexxed posted:

In the meantime maybe see if you can get a shower curtain rod (many are cut to size) and plastic shower curtain to keep the water inside the shower. Won't help with steam but it should keep the water in.

That I have done. Sadly, convincing kids to pull it all the way shut, make sure it's inside the pan before you turn on the water, etc. has not been as successful as management hoped.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Brennanite posted:

Unfortunately, spouse is not on-board with tiling. Something about my DIY projects tending to expand rapidly in scope and cost. Pfft.

She's not wrong.......but how else are you supposed to end up with a bunch of really specific tools you'll never use again?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Brennanite posted:

Unfortunately, spouse is not on-board with tiling. Something about my DIY projects tending to expand rapidly in scope and cost. Pfft. PVC trim it is.

:sever:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Brennanite posted:

Motronic posted:

She's not wrong.......but how else are you supposed to end up with a bunch of really specific tools you'll never use again? lend to your adult children for years at a time while they expand the scope of their own projects?

it's me, I'm the adult child borrowing a tile saw for over a year

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nah; wait until she's out of town then work 16-hour days like a mad bastard to get it all done & cleaned up before she returns.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Nah; wait until she's out of town then work 16-hour days like a mad bastard to get it all done & cleaned up before she returns.

This is how my friend has trenched wire to his garage. Mad at the cable co stringing it through the air, a day without the spouse, and spite.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I've got an outdoor spigot that a real estate agent mounted their little key safe thing to. The agent (not one I have any sway over) doesn't give a gently caress to come out and remove it. This is an old spigot, how likely is it that when I remove the handle of the spigot by unscrewing the philips head screw, that it doesn't go back together without leaking?

It's a pretty old one so I don't hate the idea of replacing it entirely but I might try and cut through the U lock piece with a dremel and metal cutting discs if the thread thinks that's a better idea.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

got boltcutters?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

got boltcutters?

I don't but looks like I could rent one from HD for $11 so maybe that's a good idea for effort/price/time.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

I've got an outdoor spigot that a real estate agent mounted their little key safe thing to. The agent (not one I have any sway over) doesn't give a gently caress to come out and remove it.

Will they at least give you the combo? Once it's open you can just take it off. If not, what an rear end in a top hat

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

alnilam posted:

Will they at least give you the combo? Once it's open you can just take it off. If not, what an rear end in a top hat

Honestly this is an issue from back in Nov of last year where I didn't hound enough then to have my agent get that agent to remove the thing after the agent said they would and now I doubt they'd even know the combo plus trying to get in contact :effort:

I'd reclusively rather install a new spigot versus dealing with tracking dude down.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mine is still attached to my house, 13 years after I bought it, because I can't be assed to run an extension cord over to that area out front and cut it with my grinder that I already own. It's OK, I changed the locks so if there's in a key in there, it doesn't work anyway.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

tangy yet delightful posted:

I've got an outdoor spigot that a real estate agent mounted their little key safe thing to. The agent (not one I have any sway over) doesn't give a gently caress to come out and remove it. This is an old spigot, how likely is it that when I remove the handle of the spigot by unscrewing the philips head screw, that it doesn't go back together without leaking?

It's a pretty old one so I don't hate the idea of replacing it entirely but I might try and cut through the U lock piece with a dremel and metal cutting discs if the thread thinks that's a better idea.

Start calling him every hour on the hour until he removes it. Make removing it the easier option than ignoring you.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Is it a combo one or bluetooth one? If it's got a combo it's almost certainly easily shimmable to get it open. Basically watch any lockpicking lawyer video on how to use a shim to decode a rotary dial lock and you should have it open in about 10 minutes. Otherwise, I would just buy a pair of bolt cutters. Then you own bolt cutters!

Can your realtor call and ask for the combo over the phone? There is a chance they will simply give it to them.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
edit: lol, what he said /\/\/\

Those little lockboxes are actually really easy to pick open. If it is on your property just Google the brand name and there's probably a YouTube about it's many faults and failures. You might have to order a $5 pick if it is a weird keyhole or something.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Situations like that one are why I am happy I own a battery powered angle grinder. :getin:

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Every faucet I’ve seen has a detachable handle. I’d give the screw a chance.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

yippee cahier posted:

Every faucet I’ve seen has a detachable handle. I’d give the screw a chance.

This is the suggestion of defeat.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
Consider buying a hacksaw, similar price to bolt cutter rental and they’re more useful than bolt cutters IMHO.

Really though, an angle grinder is such a versatile and useful tool. If you can swing it, use this as an excuse to get one. Metabo makes pretty good grinders and this one is only $40 with hard case and grinding disks:

https://www.amazon.com/Metabo-HPT-G...s%2C4184&sr=8-3

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

First, before the boltcutters, give the realty office a call. It’s been my experience that they tend to use the same combination for years

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Decided to give the upfront easiest method a go while hoping for the best, the phillips head screw came out without real difficulty, removed the handle, got the lockbox off, reattached the spigot handle. No leaks, no issue. Saga over.*

*could have sworn I made this post 2 minutes ago but maybe the forums ate it

edit: it was one of those bluetooth ones by SentriLock

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Weenie.

(good job)

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I have a second floor bedroom which opens into an attic with basically a normal closet door for access. Of course it’s not super well sealed, and now that it’s summer, I can feel hot air coming through above the door. I had an attic tent installed in the normal attic access, is there something like this for a regular door? Googling “attic tent for a regular door” isn’t getting me very far.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Weenie.

(good job)

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I have no idea where to post this and this thread seems like a cross-section of detail-oriented people:

Thinking about putting up some pegboards for storage and/or an alternative way to display some things - specifically looking at Ikea's Skadis pegboard system (I like the ovals, I don't like that the spacing isn't the same as common pegboards) to display keyboards I've built.

How much weight do you think hooks like these can hold? I presume if I mount it correctly to the wall that the amount of weight the system overall can support will be high enough to not worry about, but one of my keyboards in particular is about 9-10 pounds and I'd rather not have it rip out the hooks and fall off the wall. I've seen people with pegboards hang some stuff in the same weight class (paintball guns, rifles) but not quite the same density. It's hard to tell if two hooks are enough, or if I should go for three to be secure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm having some issues with my pella multipoint lock patio door. does it matter whether the thumbturn lock is vertical or horizontal before locking? in their video it goes from horizontal to vertical, but when I turn that lock I can't tell what is actually happening

it's so weird because before today, to unlock the lock would be vertical, and then I would turn it to the right while holding up on the handle to lock it. but now I can't turn it to the right anymore, instead I can turn it to the left, it's so weird

https://pella.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/95/~/locking-and-unlocking-hinged-patio-door-with-multipoint-lock

edit: i had my neighbor come by, and she was not able to open the door from the outside when I thought I had it engaged. The weird thing is that if I push down hard enough from the inside, it would still open, even without turning the thumb lock. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way or not, but I thought that it if it was locked, it would be impossible to open from the inside without unlocking that thumb lock

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 21, 2023