Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

One sided victories that end with characters acting as if it was an even match is not exactly new for Baki.

And that's one of the reasons we love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Everything with the sumo folk has them getting absolutely clowned on, some of the most decisive victories in this entire series. Then afterwards whoever wins acts like it was an honorable dual that was nearly lost. This is the weirdest Baki arc of all time.

if Itagaki doesn't do that then he's gonna get body slammed by a dozen perfect sumo wrestlers irl

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
He also set up those losses by having sumo wrestlers make MMA fighters look like absolute clowns so I'd imagine they're the biggest losers of all here

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The dude Conor McGregor lost to got chumped in like less than a chapter right

e: Oh wait no, Katsumi actually struggled against him before turning into Liquid Retsu and then lost on purpose

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 13, 2023

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm just mad because Kehaya had the incredibly strong opening of having the most reasonable reaction to meeting Yujiro possible then spoiled it by being "I will never know defeat" while jobbing aggressively for far too long

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Is pickle still around? He should eat the sumo guy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

mabels big day posted:

Is pickle still around? He should eat the sumo guys

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hoping the next arc is just a full length baki granddad flashback though

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Everything with the sumo folk has them getting absolutely clowned on, some of the most decisive victories in this entire series. Then afterwards whoever wins acts like it was an honorable dual that was nearly lost. This is the weirdest Baki arc of all time.

I like how Baki's explanation is "but you're a huge guy, so if I had done a contest of strength you would have won!" like that's supposed to make the sumo guy look any better.

Someone in a much lower weight class beating someone in a higher weight class and going "if I had just let you punch me more, you probably would have won"

Thoren
May 28, 2008
The weird part about the ending to this arc is that it doesn't add anything to the whole concept or philosophy. It was just... "I guess Baki will win now to end this poo poo."

It could have ended with Jack winning and been pretty decent.

Instead we got a bunch of pointless Kehaya chapters and then even more chapters hyping up a secret technique which boiled down to warming up before the fight.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I liked the part where Oliva's ribs got turned into an accordion

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ytlaya posted:

I like how Baki's explanation is "but you're a huge guy, so if I had done a contest of strength you would have won!" like that's supposed to make the sumo guy look any better.

Someone in a much lower weight class beating someone in a higher weight class and going "if I had just let you punch me more, you probably would have won"

hell idk if that first statement is even true. Weight classes don't exist for the Hanmas

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Weight doesn't matter when you have phantom dinosaur stances and can turn into liquid to move faster than thought

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

could itagaki, in 2023, conceivably get over an MMA fighter as any kind of threat, or even beyond an immediate reaction of 'this is a person drawn entirely to get destroyed.' i don't think he can unless it's some guy who was trained in the ultra secret BJJ fighting style that originated from the initial portugeuse colonizers.

Glagha posted:

I'm just mad because Kehaya had the incredibly strong opening of having the most reasonable reaction to meeting Yujiro possible then spoiled it by being "I will never know defeat" while jobbing aggressively for far too long

:emptyquote:

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Glagha posted:

actually no I am going to add to this, because after thinking about it- Kehaya had two of the funniest loving pages in recent Baki history in the same chapter and they both even follow his weird ethos of 'tactically retreating' or whatever and it was great.

I saw this page and thought "so long to that man's ankle" but no. as a testament to how unexpected that was (and also yujiro's modern softening) yujiro basically let him take the offense again which is conceptually wild.

then kehaya realizes he's not gonna get his one good strike in and bails.

absolute hilarity, king poo poo

and then he gets mulched and then again in the postfight

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

How can you come out of this not thinking kehaya is comic relief lmao
Yuujiros not even mad the guy ran

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Remembered Gaia's Tunnel chapter

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

the only people who can safely be comic relief in Baki are all the various permutations of Dave (34), Rapist, then again that mountain climber

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Plutonis posted:

god loving drat it

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Plutonis posted:

All time greatest manga panels of all time.

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Which chapter was this?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

TheDoublePivot posted:

Which chapter was this?

Couldn't find on mangadex (NSFW warning for the goriest and most disturbing Baki chapter ever)

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

Thanks for finding it so quickly, dunno if it’s worse for being in colour.

This is clearly not an ultimate assassination technique however.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Couldn't find on mangadex (NSFW warning for the goriest and most disturbing Baki chapter ever)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=999vnNZznmc

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Plutonis posted:

Tbh the various mangled limbs/digits bother me more. This is conceptually gross as hell, but it's kept pretty abstract and just kinda amounts to a guy exploding.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
https://manatoki289.net/bbs/captcha.php?bo_table=comic&wr_id=15951036

Finally we're getting the Jack villain/protagonist story arc!

The next year or two should be fun.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Its not fair. Jack was supposed to have thrown away his tomorrow for the sake of today. How is it still today 20 years later???

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
he's finally gonna bite yujiro's dick off

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

man it's been a while since we last saw katou lol

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Thoren posted:

https://manatoki289.net/bbs/captcha.php?bo_table=comic&wr_id=15951036

Finally we're getting the Jack villain/protagonist story arc!

The next year or two should be fun.

Wtf. Seems to be in korean? Possible glitch with this website?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

he's finally gonna bite yujiro's dick off

He will simply grow it back

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Pewdiepie posted:

Wtf. Seems to be in korean? Possible glitch with this website?

The korean scans come out right away. You have to wait a week or two for English.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Plutonis posted:

started reading the newest chapter and saw gaia and remembered this I read while maybe drunk? and was extremely confused for a second

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

started reading the newest chapter and saw gaia and remembered this I read while maybe drunk? and was extremely confused for a second

It doesnt help that there were a ton of troll translations at that time so you might have read one of those as well

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Thoren posted:

The korean scans come out right away. You have to wait a week or two for English.

The scanlators should just put it out in English and skip a step.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

The scanlators should just put it out in English and skip a step.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/5ca63fab-66a0-48a4-8c30-67587b58fcf0/2

Motobe just cutting through the bullshit and saying martial arts are for beating people up

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 28, 2023

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

From an unrelated manga (Drop) but this is me after the sumo arc

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Jackbros our arc is here!!!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Jack got so completely wrecked by Pickle that I feel he needs to fight Pickle again to redeem himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1663189902010331138?t=wOqb5zKPUYKX4qUFck52YQ&s=19