Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I’m currently reading A Cavern of Black Ice and this should have gotten famous instead of Martin’s poo poo.

But it is extremely intent on being as edgie as humanly possible most of the time and though the characters are believable and the circumstances logical and the excess worldbuilding nowhere in evidence thank the gods, that one fact is really getting on my nerves. Whenever something bad is about to happen, do two things:

1. Don’t bother thinking anything good will happen because it won’t.
2. Make it twice as bad as what you’d initially imagined.

This happens so reliably that I can’t unsee it, and the only thing that could remedy it is an authorial curveball that upends the pattern. Great book though, far better than most fantasy in terms of character, motivation, plotting, etc. Though I’m encountering some of the big tropes now and hoping it hangs together because I find them a bit disruptive from a book that I’d hoped might be telling another kind of story altogether.

Male lead hooked up with the uncle, and they saved the female lead so now we have secretive/badass character with all the answers leading our characters on a marry journey while occasionally spouting exposition on details which have been left pleasantly misty up to now. Starting to feel like a profoundly traumatized adventuring party at this point lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

BurningBeard posted:

I’m currently reading A Cavern of Black Ice and this should have gotten famous instead of Martin’s poo poo.

But it is extremely intent on being as edgie as humanly possible most of the time and though the characters are believable and the circumstances logical and the excess worldbuilding nowhere in evidence thank the gods, that one fact is really getting on my nerves. Whenever something bad is about to happen, do two things:

i finally started reading these last year, knocked em over very quickly for what is a dense, difficult setting (it's actually grim and dark, rather than 'grim-dark').

JV Jones posts a lot to her patreon but the fifth & final book, endlords, may never be finished or may take awhile. I'm not a subscriber but i do follow her on twitter.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ToxicFrog posted:

But to me, what characterizes a Big Dumb Object story is a focus on people's interactions with, and reactions to, the Object. Conflict among the explorers may be a driving force of the plot (although it doesn't have to be, indeed there doesn't necessarily have to be any conflict at all), but what draws me to the genre is the confusion and wonder of exploring something huge and incomprehensible and alien, with neither the characters nor the reader knowing what they're looking at or what lies around the next corner but perhaps, by the end, starting to figure it out.

And a lot of stuff pitched as BDO just...doesn't have that.

You might really enjoy Steel Frame and Origin Complex by Andrew Skinner

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Kesper North posted:

These books are great, but as someone who feels exactly the way Toxic does about wanting more BDO stories that are actually about investigating the BDO, these didn’t do that for me. I legit wanted the entire second book to take place in the environment it starts in though, and remain disappointed that we only get glimpses.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

branedotorg posted:

i finally started reading these last year, knocked em over very quickly for what is a dense, difficult setting (it's actually grim and dark, rather than 'grim-dark').

JV Jones posts a lot to her patreon but the fifth & final book, endlords, may never be finished or may take awhile. I'm not a subscriber but i do follow her on twitter.

Yeah I picked up the series because I'd heard that she got back in the game and might finish. Not expecting it though. If nothing else, it's just good craft and I always appreciate that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BurningBeard posted:

This happens so reliably that I can’t unsee it, and the only thing that could remedy it is an authorial curveball that upends the pattern. Great book though, far better than most fantasy in terms of character, motivation, plotting, etc. Though I’m encountering some of the big tropes now and hoping it hangs together because I find them a bit disruptive from a book that I’d hoped might be telling another kind of story altogether.

Male lead hooked up with the uncle, and they saved the female lead so now we have secretive/badass character with all the answers leading our characters on a marry journey while occasionally spouting exposition on details which have been left pleasantly misty up to now. Starting to feel like a profoundly traumatized adventuring party at this point lol.

gently caress yeah i love that book, it is indeed grim AF.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kestral posted:

These books are great, but as someone who feels exactly the way Toxic does about wanting more BDO stories that are actually about investigating the BDO, these didn’t do that for me. I legit wanted the entire second book to take place in the environment it starts in though, and remain disappointed that we only get glimpses.

Yeah, that's fair. I didn't mind because the Old City was a whole new BDO to explore as far as I was concerned. Also Sigurd-Lem itself was such a scary enigma in the first book that I was pretty eager to find out more about it.

Pretty sure the third book will be set back at the original BDO, at least!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished Pushing Ice. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot; while it's not quite what I'm looking for in a BDO story, it comes a drat sight closer than anything else I've read in at least the past decade. So thank you everyone who's recommended it ITT over the years.

Kesper North posted:

I haven't read Origin Complex (yet; it's in the queue) but I did enjoy the poo poo out of Steel Frame, yes. Doesn't scratch the BDO itch, though.

Might be due for a reread once I pick up OC later this year.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ToxicFrog posted:

I haven't read Origin Complex (yet; it's in the queue) but I did enjoy the poo poo out of Steel Frame, yes. Doesn't scratch the BDO itch, though.

Might be due for a reread once I pick up OC later this year.

Fair enough!

I definitely recommend rereading Steel Frame before picking up OC. Steel Frame rewards close reading, and reading it closely raises certain questions that OC provides good answers for.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Seconded, I reread Steel Frame for Origin Complex despite almost never rereading books, and it paid off.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I should probably re-read it once I'm in a better mood for the unreliable narrator thing. In my first read I mainly just thought it was a cop-out that the protagonist kept passing out during the action scenes lol

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Since newts didn't get slapped down...

I also have a book on BookSirens, and it is also an urban fantasy. The protagonist isn't a hard-boiled detective or a cop, I remember someone was in the mood for something without that sort of lead. He is snarky, however. There's no romance other than one mentioned in the backstory and one vampire related bedroom scene. There is a lot of swearing. And violence. I'm keen to hear what folks think, and a review somewhere would be peachy if the cards fall that way. Thanks.
Link: https://booksirens.com/book/YABWTSQ/BDS2N65

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For the guys above who are particular about their bdos: what books do you recommend

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

zoux posted:

For the guys above who are particular about their bdos: what books do you recommend

Blindsight, all day everyday.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

CaptainCrunch posted:

Since newts didn't get slapped down...

I also have a book on BookSirens, and it is also an urban fantasy. The protagonist isn't a hard-boiled detective or a cop, I remember someone was in the mood for something without that sort of lead. He is snarky, however. There's no romance other than one mentioned in the backstory and one vampire related bedroom scene. There is a lot of swearing. And violence. I'm keen to hear what folks think, and a review somewhere would be peachy if the cards fall that way. Thanks.
Link: https://booksirens.com/book/YABWTSQ/BDS2N65

I downloaded this and will read soon! Good luck with your campaign. ETA: You might also want to post in the Urban Fantasy thread—they’re always looking for new books.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

zoux posted:

If you haven't read rendezvous with rama do that first. There were no sequels. Greg Bear's Eon is also pretty good, but again no sequels. And of course, Ringworld, which again has no sequels.

This is a genre that constantly produces good books which are inevitably followed by books which are basically unreadable. I don't know why.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well yeah I know about all those, I was wondering what the hidden gems in the BDO genre are

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ship of Fools, The Stars Are Legion, and Solaris all kinda-sorta qualify as BDO books I think?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

newts posted:

I downloaded this and will read soon! Good luck with your campaign. ETA: You might also want to post in the Urban Fantasy thread—they’re always looking for new books.

Why thank you. Yes, I will do that. I keep forgetting that thread exists.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
It said there were a limited number of ARC copies, so i held off in favor of someone who might actually do you some good. But do comment again when it's possible to throw money at you about it?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Ceebees posted:

It said there were a limited number of ARC copies, so i held off in favor of someone who might actually do you some good. But do comment again when it's possible to throw money at you about it?

I can change that limit, so if you're of a mind, feel free. However since you mentioned it, the pre-orders are up. There are links (teeny tiny little icons) on the page below the author info, labeled as "social."

I'm also going to shut the hell up so as to not make this thread all about me. Thank you for your patience.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

Ship of Fools, The Stars Are Legion, and Solaris all kinda-sorta qualify as BDO books I think?

*shaking you by the lapels* I READ THOSE ONES TOO

Picked up Steel Frame after seeing a couple of posts saying it was good, it's been on my wishlist for awhile but I was afraid to pull the trigger, but it's grabbed me real quick. I'm not very far in and was really worried it was going to be more like Robot Jox but it seems like it's going to be more like whichever Gundam show had the most focus on trauma.

e: evangelion!

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 17, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Did you watch them tho?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

zoux posted:

lol I shouldn't have even tried, I may be the last person to offer BDO suggestions considering I thought Rama was an absolute snoozefest

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ship of Fools is more of a BEO, really.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

No audio book for ship of fools, darn. Maybe stars are legion? Oh what's this?

Aaand credit spent. Thanks, thread!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

Well yeah I know about all those, I was wondering what the hidden gems in the BDO genre are

I've always been fond of Tony Rothman's The World Is Round, even though it's very obviously a first (and only) novel by a physicist who had an idea for an unusual planetary system and built his book around it.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 18, 2023

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

zoux posted:

I dunno, Walking to Aldebaran?

There's not that many books that fit the bill and aren't complete garbage tbh.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

zoux posted:

Picked up Steel Frame after seeing a couple of posts saying it was good, it's been on my wishlist for awhile but I was afraid to pull the trigger, but it's grabbed me real quick. I'm not very far in and was really worried it was going to be more like Robot Jox but it seems like it's going to be more like whichever Gundam show had the most focus on trauma.

Really don't read this until you're done with the book: It's actually a zombie story, and boy oh boy, did that suck as a twist.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

NmareBfly posted:

No audio book for ship of fools, darn. Maybe stars are legion? Oh what's this?

Aaand credit spent. Thanks, thread!

Fallopian Morass: band or album?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A serious issue to bring up with your gynecologist. Also somewhat accurate to the book, which is like "What if god was Cronenburg"

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

zoux posted:

A serious issue to bring up with your gynecologist. Also somewhat accurate to the book, which is like "What if god was Cronenburg"

most of her stuff has a strong organic/body horror element

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

zoux posted:

Yeah, it's definitely not Robot Jox. The author is a cultural anthropologist who did his thesis on how liberation theologies developed as a defensive response to European subjugation, and you can see parts of that surface in these books. The principal themes involve finding solidarity and connection even in the most inhumane places, the rights of prisoners, the brutality of prisons and those that own them, and that giant robots in space are loving awesome.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I started Diaspora by Greg Egan and I have no idea if it's going to be any good but the first chapter detailing how the AI consciousness is seeded and grown and eventually comes to be sentient was really well done and feels like some serious thought was put into how one might do it and was quite prescient for '97 in light of where we are with things today. Just really liked it. Like even if the rest of the book blows I would recommend the first chapter on its own to friends which I don't think I've ever done before.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

D-Pad posted:

I started Diaspora by Greg Egan and I have no idea if it's going to be any good but the first chapter detailing how the AI consciousness is seeded and grown and eventually comes to be sentient was really well done and feels like some serious thought was put into how one might do it and was quite prescient for '97 in light of where we are with things today. Just really liked it. Like even if the rest of the book blows I would recommend the first chapter on its own to friends which I don't think I've ever done before.

It's only getting started, Diaspora has a lot of ideas

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I tried recommending the chapter to the Cognitive Science majors I've met but they were too busy gaming to get into it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Shame he's dead tho

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aware posted:

Shame he's dead tho

Is this a meme? Greg Egan isn't dead.

(Greg Bear is dead, though, he died last December.)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jedit posted:

Is this a meme? Greg Egan isn't dead.

(Greg Bear is dead, though, he died last December.)

This is the origin of the meme also Egan got a false death notice a few months ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
https://twitter.com/gregeganSF/status/1623681582501593089