Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Not necessarily. From the perspective of a colonial power, intervening in and supporting one side of a civil war is a classic way to establish a grateful client state.

E: good way to rack up some debt too.

Dikkfor fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Threads of Destiny Chapter 44

Meizhen actually trying to comfort Ling Qi with a quick pat on the shoulder after she took her first life? My you've grown.

You really like Meizhen. Meizhen's character arc is pretty satisfying, though, and it's nice to see her life measurably improved after going to the sect.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Katreus posted:

You really like Meizhen. Meizhen's character arc is pretty satisfying, though, and it's nice to see her life measurably improved after going to the sect.

She's probably my favorite supporting character. As for the others...

Cai Renxiang is... okay I guess? I find her more interesting when her plans actually go awry or her mother fucks with her because it makes her drop some of her aloof mask. I don't find myself able to get super invested in hyper stoic Renxiang.

Gu Xiulan I don't feel has a ton of depth. I feel like she's gotten even shallower as a character since she apparently gotten over her sense of inadequacy over Ling Qi. I had some worries early on that her envy would cause her to become an antagonist and that might have been an interesting character arc. As it is, she isn't even really doing her whole "civilizing the gutter trash Ling Qi" thing anymore and I don't feel like she really contributes much to the story.

Li Suyin I like quite a bit. She's also had a pretty big arc so far and is turning into a bit of a mad scientist.

Sun Liling is okay I guess. She's really just a bruiser with pretty poor political skills and has had very little impact in threads so far. Haven't seen redeemable traits in her either.

Of Ling Qi's spirts, I feel like Zhengui's really fallen off as a character, being overtaken in screen time and depth by Sixiang and Hanyi.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Nitrousoxide posted:

Threads of Fate Chapter 17

I'm enjoying the structure of this book more. We don't have the detailed day after day detailed cultivation description we were getting in Forge. It's been mostly Ling Qi having to learn how to navigate inner sect politics as the spymaster for her lady. The drastically reduced Bai Meizhen content is a bit of a bummer, but that little shitposter in her head Sixiang is easily making up for it. I think they're rapidly rising up to be my #1 supporting character. Loving how they delight in pointing out Ling Qi ogling guys and cackling as Cai Renxiang keeps giving her more and more smoozing work that she dreads.

Cultivation becomes less about pulsing qi through meridians alternating through the Fibonacci sequence and more “What is Isolation?”

Precious Turtle will get his due

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 9, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Read some new poo poo recently

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/factory-isolation-si-multicross.404479/reader/
Factory Isolation

I think this is what they call 'crackfic'? A guy gets isekai'd into Factorio and by the end of the first first updates manages to cover the entire planet in his industry, genocide all the bitey aliens and only goes mildly insane. He doesn't build the rocket, because turns out that was never an option for him, so he gets even crazier hacking into Factorio's blueprints and science trees until he figures out how to dimension travel.

And then he starts hopping between fictional settings like Warhammer, XCOM, various weeby jrpgs, Law & Order: SVU and so forth, blowing up the villains, helping people out and bringing cool stuff and often entire communities of refugees back to the Factorio world to help him develop his colony world.

Oddly compelling and better written than I expected it to be, even though I did get tired of it 2/3 of the way in and finished it just to finish it.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/67711/a-tyrant-sort-of-litrpg-isekai-dragon-mc
A Tyrant, Sort Of

A girl gets isekai'd into a newborn dragon hatchling in a litrpg fantasy world where dragons got exterminated by the humanoid races for being, well, dragons. Dragons get powerful based on the size of their Hoard and their Notoriety, so she needs to increase both somehow to survive. Also, the dragon body itself bombards her with dragonly urges to eat motherfuckers and make them grovel and collect their shinies and maniacally laugh, but that seemingly didn't work out for her entire species the last time, so she decides she'll try to become the scary but actually mostly benevolent ruler of these lands and use taxes and propaganda to increase her stats.

This is a pretty new serial, so there's still not much to it (19 chapters as of me writing this), but what's there so far is pretty good for RR. It might still swerve into shitdom, but for now it's shaping up to be pretty good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Outcast seems to be heading towards its climax, since confrontation with the Dragon Queen and the final known major Blight seems imminent. Rob just got some bullshit ability, but he's against some pretty bullshit enemies so it doesn't bother me too much.

I feel like Outcast has been pretty strong recently. This whole arc in the harpy lands has been good.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
New Super Supportive is out. Man, poor Alden.

day-gas
Dec 16, 2020

Hungry posted:

Hey, I'm really happy to hear you're enjoying what I'm doing with Necroepilogos so far, thank you so much. I'm kind of using the story to push myself into subject areas and styles and experiments that I wouldn't do so in Katalepsis, because of the nature of the story and setting. Necro has already ended up exceeding all my expectations, and I've barely scratched the surface of the plans so far. If anything I'm worried about it getting too weird and dark, but it seems to be working.

You are doin great - the only issue I have with Necro is that I wish I had waited longer before diving in. You did get me to the patreon though.

Looks like Prophecy Approved Companion is ending right when I thought it was gonna enter a crazy interesting new arc: They're all going into the real world but we don't get to see that part. I understand how different it would be but I'm still pretty disappointed - I was outrageously excited to see what happened next.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wittgen posted:

New Super Supportive is out. Man, poor Alden.

I liked the reveal that they were just trying to make the foot remains look like they had a different cause, instead of actually reattaching it. It's a misunderstanding on Alden's part that makes sense and lead to a pretty big surprise when it suddenly exploded everywhere.

I feel like the biggest result of this might be Alden gaining some sort of contact with Stuart, who might feel indebted to him in some way.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
TWI april was on fire. Literally stocked with cool moments. Really wish pirate had dared kill off a few more named characters. Like Elia Arcsinger should really have been killed.

And maybe Jewel or some other named character when they went against the raiders

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Just finished BTDEM book seven and that was a heavy heavy ending.
The night chapter at the end was very thousand year old vampire esque. I have to say that I didn't know where it was going but yeah. I got pretty invested in him and hope he shows up again

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Affi posted:

TWI april was on fire. Literally stocked with cool moments. Really wish pirate had dared kill off a few more named characters. Like Elia Arcsinger should really have been killed.

And maybe Jewel or some other named character when they went against the raiders

At this point I've just accepted they'll never kill anyone of any real note. Hell, I'm surprised the brand new driver guy was allowed to die.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Not checking under those spoilers but...

At least in the most recent published TWI book a good 6ish named goblins died as well as Yellow Splatters (or was it Purple Smiles?) and a whole mess of painted soldiers. Even best boy Pyrite died.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Barely spoilers but basically anyone you are possibly attached to has plot armor if they survived V5. Even at good places for them to die they survive. It's a bit disappointing but I do like most of the characters so I'm not complaining too hard about it.

I just read the chapter as pirate's on break so I'd been saving it for my trip out of town, and that was good stuff, it had everything, action, character development, weird lore... The last action setpiece didn't feel as organic but this one felt just right.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Dream Weaver posted:

The night chapter at the end was very thousand year old vampire esque. I have to say that I didn't know where it was going but yeah. I got pretty invested in him and hope he shows up again

Good news. So does Elaine

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Argue posted:

Barely spoilers but basically anyone you are possibly attached to has plot armor if they survived V5. Even at good places for them to die they survive. It's a bit disappointing but I do like most of the characters so I'm not complaining too hard about it.

I just read the chapter as pirate's on break so I'd been saving it for my trip out of town, and that was good stuff, it had everything, action, character development, weird lore... The last action setpiece didn't feel as organic but this one felt just right.

pirateaba released her first draft for arc 1 of huntsong (gravesong book 2)

its 80k words, so youve got plenty to read!

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
It's there any way to read gravesong yet that's not yonder? Was totally prepared to pay Amazon prices then yonder.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Heretical Fishing: A Guide to Annoying the Cults, Outsmarting the Fish, and Alienating Oneself is currently number one on RR's Rising Stars and it's pretty bad. I am, as ever, baffled by the preferences of the litrpg normies.

Avoid.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sibling of TB posted:

It's there any way to read gravesong yet that's not yonder? Was totally prepared to pay Amazon prices then yonder.

iirc its just yonder atm

i believe they threw a bunch of money at pirateaba, and for the record you dont really need to have read gravesong for the first part of huntsong

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Dream Weaver posted:

I was literally bawling as I wrote that chapter and the next one. Just full on typing via muscle memory.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So I've been reading

Player Manager -

It's fun and it's good but it's also a bit mary stuish. Also seems like it's a bit stuck?

Newt and Demon -

Nothing bad ever happens or challenges the MC. Everything is set up and falls into his lap "mysteriously" it's not very mysterious and a bit boring.
Also MC is turning into a bit of an rear end in a top hat capitalist or something. "Well I'm uplifting these people so I totally deserve 90% of the revenue".

Started out stronger then it ended up.

Last Angel - the hungry stars.

I've been a fan since the first book. Its good creepy sci fi on a galactic (arm) scale. Lots of weird horrors and suspense. Also glorious space combat.

It's too heavy on repetitions (any new chapter reiterates old points to an annoying degree) and very slow to update (author does other projects alongside it and his patreons vote for what they want so its not even consistent.)

If you want to read something good in sci fi then you have 2 books to catch up with. Once you're done with those and the sidestories then that final(?) Third book will be done.

TWI

Enough is said about this. I like it and I'm annoyed by it at times.

Super Supportive

Good and well written. Slow pace which is fine. Don't know where its going to go and how long it'll take to get there though.

Delve

I like it but I also wait a few months I between reads. It's okay.

----------

Geeze. Well that's what I'm reading atm.
I'd love to some more recommendations. I need one or two more series to catch up on.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Megazver posted:

Heretical Fishing: A Guide to Annoying the Cults, Outsmarting the Fish, and Alienating Oneself is currently number one on RR's Rising Stars and it's pretty bad. I am, as ever, baffled by the preferences of the litrpg normies.

Avoid.
what you don't care about The Adventures of Elon Musk Except He's A Cultivator And Doesn't Know It

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'm getting more Bezos vibes from him, tbh, which is worse. Musk is somewhat entertaining, at least.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone tried Hidden Class: Pacifist? I keep getting adds for it, which may be why it's on rising stars.

Affi posted:

Last Angel - the hungry stars.

I've been a fan since the first book. Its good creepy sci fi on a galactic (arm) scale. Lots of weird horrors and suspense. Also glorious space combat.

It's too heavy on repetitions (any new chapter reiterates old points to an annoying degree) and very slow to update (author does other projects alongside it and his patreons vote for what they want so its not even consistent.)

If you want to read something good in sci fi then you have 2 books to catch up with. Once you're done with those and the sidestories then that final(?) Third book will be done.

If you want more sci-fi horror, check out Necroepilogos. It's heavier on the horror, and lighter on the spaceship elements.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/24203/homicidal-aliens-are-invading-and-all-i-got-is Is body horror-sci-fi but it reads like a Saturday morning cartoon. Good for what it is.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/22848/post-human is a short little sci-fi story. Completed. Pretty neat. Has space battles.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 14, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's fine but the main character is dumb in specific ways which irritate me. Much the same as the fishing thing.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Man the author's note for Fox Tongue is rough. I hope the kid is ok.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Patrick Spens posted:

Man the author's note for Fox Tongue is rough. I hope the kid is ok.

I DM'd the author after seeing it, having gone through something similar myself. Kiddo's okay!

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
That's good to hear.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Selkie Myth posted:

I DM'd the author after seeing it, having gone through something similar myself. Kiddo's okay!

Ya.

This actually happened a while ago, I think- patrons got a note about the baby fracture on the 6th of April.

She followed up on the 24th with this:

quote:

Baby update: little girl appears to be doing well; follow up MRI in two weeks to check how well her skull is healing, but she seems to be past any immediate danger and back to complaining about tummy time and other momentous baby concerns. Also I am delighted to announce that 1) new baby is fey-marked, and 2) her primary noises are those of an upset kitten. It is exactly as adorable as you are picturing.

What a loving nightmare though

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Threads of Destiny 137

Man, Ling Qi has moved up in the world. Here she is like a year and a half after starting cultivation and she is being given diplomatic envoy tasks directly by the Duchess which could shape the future of this war with the tribes.

I also like how every time we flash over to Li Suyin she's doing more and unsettling things. From arriving on a palanquin born on undead skeletons to being covered in wax "gore" from her presumed attempts to replace her eye

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

LLSix posted:

Anyone tried Hidden Class: Pacifist? I keep getting adds for it, which may be why it's on rising stars.

If you want more sci-fi horror, check out Necroepilogos. It's heavier on the horror, and lighter on the spaceship elements.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/24203/homicidal-aliens-are-invading-and-all-i-got-is Is body horror-sci-fi but it reads like a Saturday morning cartoon. Good for what it is.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/22848/post-human is a short little sci-fi story. Completed. Pretty neat. Has space battles.

Honestly the horror is what I'm least excited about. I think I dig the lore the most and the world as seen by both the compact and the main characters,

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Ya.

This actually happened a while ago, I think- patrons got a note about the baby fracture on the 6th of April.

She followed up on the 24th with this:

What a loving nightmare though

That’s horrible. Hope the kid recovers ok.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Threads of Destiny 137

Man, Ling Qi has moved up in the world. Here she is like a year and a half after starting cultivation and she is being given diplomatic envoy tasks directly by the Duchess which could shape the future of this war with the tribes.

I also like how every time we flash over to Li Suyin she's doing more and unsettling things. From arriving on a palanquin born on undead skeletons to being covered in wax "gore" from her presumed attempts to replace her eye

Came a far way from Kung Fu Mean Girls highschool

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
One Moo'r Plow [Minotaur farming LITRPG] by Exemplar

MC isekaid into a minotaur [Berserker] who raged so hard he yeeted his soul.
MC decides levelling and monster hunting isn't his thing, retires to the countryside to be a [Farmer]. He end up farming monster plants as they are a valuable crop to alchemists and adventurers and he has the skills to survive the dangers of doing so. Chill story with good characters, punctuated by the occasional gory fight. It recently swerved into horror as there's a very mean dungeon beneath the mountain and when opened swarms the lands in monsters.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RBA-Wintrow posted:

MC decides levelling and monster hunting isn't his thing, retires to the countryside to be a [Farmer]. He end up farming monster plants as they are a valuable crop to alchemists and adventurers and he has the skills to survive the dangers of doing so. Chill story with good characters, punctuated by the occasional gory fight. It recently swerved into horror as there's a very mean dungeon beneath the mountain and when opened swarms the lands in monsters.

I read through this today. It's competent enough as a typical RR litrpg. More violence than I expected from a story that starts off with someone forsaking their violent ways to focus on farming, but tbh the tense bits were more interesting than the farming bits for the most part. I'll follow it for now, thank you for sharing.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Thanks for the rec. I'll check it out.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Latest TUTBAD

Verity you done hosed up now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

Latest TUTBAD

Verity you done hosed up now.

I was starting to wonder if it was dead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Super interesting and long new Super Supportive. Wonder what Alden is going to do with the bone.

I'm looking forward to when the author gets their Patreon up and I get at least a couple extra chapters to read.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Ytlaya posted:

Super interesting and long new Super Supportive. Wonder what Alden is going to do with the bone.

I'm looking forward to when the author gets their Patreon up and I get at least a couple extra chapters to read.

There's going to be some reason for him to eat it, because of how weird that intrusive thought was and the big focus on food in the chapter. I look forward to learning how eating bits of people is part of Alden's path to power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Einander posted:

There's going to be some reason for him to eat it, because of how weird that intrusive thought was and the big focus on food in the chapter. I look forward to learning how eating bits of people is part of Alden's path to power.

Given what happened with Gorgon, it seems like it would actually occur in the reverse and Stuart would absorb stuff from Alden if Alden ate his bone (since that seems to be what happened when Gorgan ate Alden's blood).