Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I actually identified plagiarism in the work of the guy who'd worked on my master's project the previous year because on reading it it was patently obvious that he'd copied entire passages from a paper with no accreditation for the simple reason that it actually made sense whereas the rest of his work was word salad

I pointed it out to the supervisor who said "ehhh yeah I know :shrug:". I think he was an overseas student paying a massive amount of money so I'm going to guess they just took the cash and waived it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Shoplifting and dumpster diving is how a significant chunk of Food not Bombs chapters operate because stores would rather destroy edible food rather than give it away for free to people in need.

gently caress stores.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
1. tax write off
2. Lawsuit liability?
3. scarcity for the capitalism god

Do other countries handle this better? Do they have sensible good samaritan laws and maybe also a ban of disposal before donation to food banks?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

not now

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

this is just tragic

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I actually identified plagiarism in the work of the guy who'd worked on my master's project the previous year because on reading it it was patently obvious that he'd copied entire passages from a paper with no accreditation for the simple reason that it actually made sense whereas the rest of his work was word salad

I pointed it out to the supervisor who said "ehhh yeah I know :shrug:". I think he was an overseas student paying a massive amount of money so I'm going to guess they just took the cash and waived it.

after i quit my job eight years ago, i spent some time doing freelance writing and editing work. i ended up doing a lot of editing for chinese business students because of word of mouth. that then expanded to coaching and guiding these students on how to write their thesis because apparently that wasn't something they were getting at the university.

one of these guys sent me his research proposal and what he got up until that point. i quoted him a rate that i thought was very reasonable. it was in line with what the other chinese students paid (they were all loaded, or they wouldn't have found their way to the netherlands) in terms of hourly rate, but his project was going to be a lot of work.

he said i was too expensive.

a few months later i heard from another student client that that guy ended up plagiarizing 60% of his thesis and was expelled from the university. he really should have spent the money on someone who could tell him that no, actually plagiarism is frowned upon in academia and you shouldn't do it

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

MeruFM posted:

1. tax write off
2. Lawsuit liability?

Do other countries handle this better? Do they have sensible good samaritan laws and maybe also a ban of disposal before donation to food banks?

Basically use by dates are bullshit. And there is a federal law protecting people and companies donating food in good faith. But it seems a lot of people don't know about it.

Have a fun video discussing food waste and the nonsense of food dates

https://youtu.be/4GDLaYrMCFo

UK has started, very slowly, to do away with them, but it's going to take years to undo decades of ingrained perceptions on food expiration.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yeah basically anything that isn’t meat or milk has a pretty variable best by date since it’s for a guaranteed quality and not food safety issue most of the time.

lol especially eggs they last for literally months, especially if you keep them in the fridge. i occasionally order groceries from this local products delivery only service and i’ll buy like 7 or 8 dozen eggs at a time and just whittle them down

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if you can whittle your eggs you've kept them for too long

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Achmed Jones posted:

"stealing is fine if the store isn't morally pure" is a garbage take.

retail steals from their employees and customers constantly, kill the cop in your brain

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
those grocery stores were just forming a syndicate and fixing food prices to feed their, like, families, man

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

retail steals from their employees and customers constantly, kill the cop in your brain

agreed but also if you're not poor please donate to your local foodbank

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cold on a Cob posted:

agreed but also if you're not poor please donate to your local foodbank

yeah this too, help others when you can, help yourself if you can't

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Reach out to your local food not bombs chapter, too! Also, read this cool rear end book about food not bombs.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

MeruFM posted:

1. tax write off
2. Lawsuit liability?

i worked in a little franchise bakery in australia and we had charities come most nights but the rule was they had to pick what they wanted off the shelves (everything) rather than us bagging it up and handing it over, so it was their choice/responsibility. we didn’t have enough people that came to take stuff so some nights it all went in the (unlocked) bin and one night a week was a guy with a goat farm who just used it as feed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MeruFM posted:

1. tax write off
2. Lawsuit liability?

America specifically has a law that indemnifies you from lawsuits if you donate food unless you're like, deliberately trying to poison someone, passed in the loving 90's, but i think knowledge about it is ignored and willfully suppressed since it's such a convenient excuse for the cruelty

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tax write offs for losses are the dumbest goddamn thing

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

it’s got to be partially laziness. like pitching everything into the dumpster requires no thought or policy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Eeyo posted:

it’s got to be partially laziness. like pitching everything into the dumpster requires no thought or policy.

Pouring bleach on it like many places do is more effort

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"if we just gave the food away why would anyone buy the food??"

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Eeyo posted:

I worked in a Walmart produce section in 2005 and still vividly remember the smell of the compactor we had to throw stuff that was just a little too ripe into every day. like an hour of each shift was spent throwing stuff that was good but would have started to go bad in 2-3 days into this big loving compactor to make sure it got destroyed instead of going to someone who could eat it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

infernal machines posted:

Perhaps he boiled them

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

tech bubble v5.4: "no" means "remind me later"

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

wasnt one of the apple updates supposed to stop apps from constantly bothering you about reviews once you told it no? that seems to have gone away

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

cured eggs are a delicacy op

Destroyenator posted:

one night a week was a guy with a goat farm who just used it as feed

we often got truckloads of old bakery and hostess products to feed hogs and poo poo for mostly free

anyway the law should go further and actively criminalize destroying good food with bonuses and whistleblower protection awarded to employees who tell on big grocery

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

wasnt one of the apple updates supposed to stop apps from constantly bothering you about reviews once you told it no? that seems to have gone away

i just vote 1 star on those apps that do this. gently caress them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

i simply keep my eggs in a big jar of quicklime

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mediaphage posted:

we often got truckloads of old bakery and hostess products to feed hogs and poo poo for mostly free

anyway the law should go further and actively criminalize destroying good food with bonuses and whistleblower protection awarded to employees who tell on big grocery

that would be a good law

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

"if we just gave the food away why would anyone buy the food??"

The works of the roots of the vines, of the trees, must be destroyed to keep up the price, and this is the saddest, bitterest thing of all. Carloads of oranges dumped on the ground. The people came for miles to take the fruit, but this could not be. How would they buy oranges at twenty cents a dozen if they could drive out and pick them up?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Internet Janitor posted:

tech bubble v5.4: "no" means "remind me later"

that reminds me, i've noticed every single time i get off a call with discord it asks me how the call went and has a checkbox to never ask me this again, and i check it every time and then click out of the window to close it and it never ever listens

my guess is the thing that records the "don't ask me again" checkbox is tied to the actual submission of the form, so by closing it without answering it never actually submits that I don't want to answer

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

dont ask me again (about this specific call)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

elizabeth "dollar store steve jobs" holmes may actually be going to prison like, for real, unless she flees the country in the next 12 days

quote:

Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes must begin serving her prison sentence by May 30 while she appeals her conviction on charges of defrauding investors in her failed blood-testing startup, a federal judge ruled Wednesday. U.S. District Court Judge Edward Davila issued the order after the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit on Tuesday rejected Holmes' request to remain on bail as she appeals the case.

In a separate ruling Tuesday, Davilia ordered Holmes and Ramesh "Sunny" Balwani, Theranos' former president and chief operating officer, to pay $452 million in restitution to victims.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this just in: liz gets an upper east side brownstone legally rezoned as a sub-minimum-security prison

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

i wonder which country's ambassador's gonna smuggle liz in their jet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

unless she flees the country in the next 12 days

i believe in her.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

i believe in her.
she bought a one way plane ticket to mexico during the trial, and yet the ridiculous caucasality of the situation meant she wasn't remanded to custody immediately

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's too bad the people who smuggled Carlos Ghosn out of Japan in a musical instrument case aren't available at the moment

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mediaphage posted:

yeah basically anything that isn’t meat or milk has a pretty variable best by date since it’s for a guaranteed quality and not food safety issue most of the time.

there's ultrapasteurized milk, which has a shelf-life of months without refrigeration when unopened, but north america seems to be allergic to the idea of buying milk that doesn't come from a refrigerator at the store

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

she bought a one way plane ticket to mexico during the trial, and yet the ridiculous caucasality of the situation meant she wasn't remanded to custody immediately

absolute scrub tier rich person mistake lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
if she leaves her kid(s?) behind and flees to a non-extradition country i will not be the least bit surprised, lol