Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So our house has two equal sized bedrooms that sit overtop the garage. The one on the left my wife has claimed for her office and the narrow hallway is a straight shot into the doorway of her office. I'm left (right?) with the room on the right, which has a complicated zig zag thing and my long, expensive three seater couch/daytime nap spot can't navigate the turn by like three inches. Classic long couch problem. And no my wife will not switch with me, because reasons

Anyways my office has a two piece slider window, if you open the window all the way I end up with a hole in the wall big enough to stick the couch through with 4-8" clearance on all sides (with the legs removed)

On a scale of 1 to crazy, how crazy would it be to find a guy with a lifted truck, but the truck in the driveway, then run the couch up a ladder from the bed of the truck in through the window. Seems like the guy with the lifted truck would be all for it, since finally he would have a valid excuse for lifting his truck

Semi comedy option: does anyone in the bay area own one of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Can you rent a scissor lift? If the window is above the driveway it seems like it could work.

Please note I have never used a scissor lift not even touched one :buddy:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

That's a beer and friends problem. I used to live in an 3rd floor apartment with the same type of issue - we had to lift the sofa 2 stories up to a balcony using ropes/straps. 3 guys, 2 provided the main lifting strength and the 3rd guided it along. Other people watched for potential comedy action but was rather anticlimactic.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like a scissor lift is only $158 day rental :eng101:

But with delivery etc is $575. And then there's the issue of stability, they're really only designed to work on a perfectly flat surface, like in/around a polished warehouse concrete floor; our driveway is probably a minimum 1% grade

19' Telehandler (off-road fork lift, basically) is what I need that's like a thousand dollars to start

I'll think about the ropes and manpower idea. Turns out it's $50/person for under 2 hours in my area and looks like a minimum 3 man job. This may be one of those "there's no cost effective way to do this, pay through the nose" situations and I really just want to be done with moving

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

So our house has two equal sized bedrooms that sit overtop the garage. The one on the left my wife has claimed for her office and the narrow hallway is a straight shot into the doorway of her office. I'm left (right?) with the room on the right, which has a complicated zig zag thing and my long, expensive three seater couch/daytime nap spot can't navigate the turn by like three inches. Classic long couch problem. And no my wife will not switch with me, because reasons

Anyways my office has a two piece slider window, if you open the window all the way I end up with a hole in the wall big enough to stick the couch through with 4-8" clearance on all sides (with the legs removed)

Getting between a man and his couch sounds like cause for a really messy divorce, if you ask me. In the hearings, you can agree that she gets half the couch and you get the other half. Then, once she takes her half of the couch, what you still have left will be able to navigate the turn. :haw:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

e: I was being a jerk.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 13, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You get three friends and rope/rigging. Use an extension ladder, 250-lb duty is fine because no one will be climbing it.

Set the ladder as a ramp to the window & haul it up with ropes, then haul it through the window.

One very cautious guy anchoring the bottom of the ladder, ready to jump if it goes wrong.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I roped a huge couch up to a 3rd floor along the outside of the fire escape when I live in Chicago. Took 3 guys and it went fine. Wrap the couch in some heavy plastic because it's going to get scratched somehow.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Sell that couch and get one of the ones that comes it individual parts.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I find it interesting that the wife's reasons for keeping the existing arrangement are dismissed as irrelevant by the poster.

I just took that as him saying that it's not worth getting into because he just wants advice on working with the bedroom arrangement he's got, rather than inviting goons to try to pry apart what he and his wife have already agreed to.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Rope, block and tackle/pulley, well wheel, rigging straps.

Maybe you can rent a walkboard (and this) and use this system?
https://www.reechcraft.com/powerpole/

It has a gearbox to raise and lower powered with drill motors.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Muir posted:

I just took that as him saying that it's not worth getting into because he just wants advice on working with the bedroom arrangement he's got, rather than inviting goons to try to pry apart what he and his wife have already agreed to.
Absolutely fair. I withdraw the comment.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:cheersdoge::cheersbird:

Yeah I just was trying to gloss over that part. That room has a (exceptionally marginally) better "view" and she's very stressed out and jet lagged having spent the last week in the middle east on business and arrived to a new home full to the brim of beat to poo poo moving boxes and a screaming toddler. Putting a couch through the window is less work than arguing with my wife about her getting the less good view

On the flip side the room with the worse view is NW exposure and shaded by a tree for must of the afternoon so it's much cooler later in the afternoon. She works east coast hours so her day/time spent in that room ends at 2pm which is about when that room starts to become unbearably hot

So yeah, because reasons

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is there a rule of thumb in terms of the PSI that I should be getting on the air valve of a thermal expansion tank? I know what my "cold" system pressure is (65psi) but when my tank runs (like after a shower) that rockets to just north of 100, I have known this is an issue and I always manually "relieve" the system because I am an anal home owner and I know exactly what poo poo is still on my list to fix but it's becoming annoying / nerve wracking.

I know the TET is good because it has pressurized air in it when I touch the needle in the valve like you would a car tire, I just think it's too low and the water bladder inside is essentially always inflated. Correct me if my mental picture is wrong: the air pressure in the air side of the TET is too low, so even when the system is cold the bladder is nearly fully expanded with water, as opposed to the air side being higher than my resting water pressure (water bladder squeezed empty) so that when the water expands the air gets squeezed instead of the water.

I have learned more about the ins and outs of plumbing in the past 6 months than I ever thought. Home ownership!

Edit: this guy does a good explainer
https://youtu.be/GE3xzDYyhNo

cr0y fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 13, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hadlock posted:

So our house has two equal sized bedrooms that sit overtop the garage. The one on the left my wife has claimed for her office and the narrow hallway is a straight shot into the doorway of her office. I'm left (right?) with the room on the right, which has a complicated zig zag thing and my long, expensive three seater couch/daytime nap spot can't navigate the turn by like three inches. Classic long couch problem.

Can you break down the couch a little? Remove the fabric on the bottom, inspect how it's made, cut it so it will flex, and then splice it back together. I have done this for a box spring from my queen size bed, and I built a couch and leaned the guts are just wooden frames. You may be able to strategically cut one or two members and allow it to fold a bit.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

Sell that couch and get one of the ones that comes it individual parts.

My parents wanted to move a couch down some stairs that they had hired professionals to move it up. When we turned it over, the couch broke down into two pieces just by undoing some bolts. It turns out the only thing holding it together was a couple metal bars running the length of it. It was way easier to move after that!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Hadlock posted:

On a scale of 1 to crazy, how crazy would it be to find a guy with a lifted truck, but the truck in the driveway, then run the couch up a ladder from the bed of the truck in through the window. Seems like the guy with the lifted truck would be all for it, since finally he would have a valid excuse for lifting his truck

Semi comedy option: does anyone in the bay area own one of these

I've done this with an end loader on a tractor, worked fine. One guy driving, one guy riding in the bucket holding the couch down, one guy guiding it in.

Might be cheaper than a scissor lift depending where you're at. Or impossible.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cr0y posted:

Is there a rule of thumb in terms of the PSI that I should be getting on the air valve of a thermal expansion tank?

No, but there should be a label on the tank that tells you what the precharge should be for which PSI water supply. This needs to be tested/charged with no water pressure. There is no other way to do this properly.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Been a homeowner for a year now…I’ve received two “bills” from GEICO which my homeowners insurance is thru.

I’ll call my mortgage underwriter, but I don’t think there’s anything I need to do with this, right? It’s more just an “fyi”?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

I don’t think there’s anything I need to do with this, right? It’s more just an “fyi”?

It says "We have billed the following mortgage company for the total amount due above". It's a notice that they have submitted this bill to come out of your escrow.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Motronic posted:

It says "We have billed the following mortgage company for the total amount due above". It's a notice that they have submitted this bill to come out of your escrow.

Yeah I was just confused by the remittance slip, more than anything I suppose.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

Yeah I was just confused by the remittance slip, more than anything I suppose.

Yeah, it's not great that they use the same forms for bills and notices.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The previous owner has at least two satellite tv dishes, on opposite sides of the house, along with what looks like half a mile of coax cable strewn about

I've never had cable tv as an adult and my wife hasn't had cable tv in at least 7 years

Is there any reason not to chop it up into small pieces and remove it where visible? It's hanging all over the ceiling of the garage and snakes around the outside of the house quite a bit. I'm guessing there's some cable from the 80s and 90s mixed in there too

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Hadlock posted:

The previous owner has at least two satellite tv dishes, on opposite sides of the house, along with what looks like half a mile of coax cable strewn about

I've never had cable tv as an adult and my wife hasn't had cable tv in at least 7 years

Is there any reason not to chop it up into small pieces and remove it where visible? It's hanging all over the ceiling of the garage and snakes around the outside of the house quite a bit. I'm guessing there's some cable from the 80s and 90s mixed in there too

You can run Ethernet over coax with some adapters, other than that I can't think of ever keeping it around if it was annoying me in some way.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm also about to hack some coax out of the basement because it's in the way of other stuff. The last time we had "cable" it was IPTV from our DSL, and the units connected to other TVs were wireless rather than needing a coax hookup. Even if I do somehow end up getting some kind of "cable" subscription again, I'd probably just be logging into apps on my fire sticks anyways, so I'm feeling pretty good about pulling it out.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Any new cable installer will run a mile of new line and splitters regardless of what is currently installed and drill no less than 5, 1/2" holes directly through your exterior wall at the weirdest placements with no insulation/gaskets.

Independent contractor cable installers are like the "previous owners" level of any kind of contract work. It's the worst. They'll leave coax dangling and loose without clipping it to the house etc. I just ask them to run it from the utility line and I'll take care of it.

My last guy showed up and tried to drill a hole through the wall and his drill died so he asked to borrow mine. I should've lied but it was already out for a project. He drilled clear through the exterior of our house ... unintentionally drilling a hole right through the corner of a plastic box that sits on the exterior wall for incoming cable etc. He ran the cable through and when we went outside to check it, the cable was essentially acting like a cable lock on that box so you couldn't open it. He could've opened it and had it run cleanly into it so it was weatherproof. He ran the cable and never filled the hole with anything. I could see through it into my yard and feel air pass through. He also asked to borrow a ladder and asked if I could brace it for him because he was super sketchy when connecting the cable to the raised utility lines along the street.

It was the most what the gently caress moment ever. I called my cable and complained they gave me free cable for a while.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Get the ONT into my garage on the outside facing wall and please leave my home.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I’m pretty sure I removed like 200 plus feet of coax from my attic when we moved in. An efficient install would’ve probably been around 70 feet, it’s wild. Kinda wish I had kept some in the walls but I’ll just run actual Ethernet if I want to do it eventually

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Thankfully it was a rental house we were in so I cared much less than if it were my house now. I also forgot, he left all the clipped cables and mess in the house. When he started cleaning up I just assumed he was coming back in to clean up and he drove away. I made sure to ask him for my drill back.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cr0y posted:

Get the ONT into my garage on the outside facing wall and please leave my home.

This.

I made the holes from the outside to a new wall mounted board inside and ran soft conduit before the installer got here. And because of that I got a real deal Verizon person who wouldn't have screwed it up. But whatever, it's done my way and my house didn't get hacked up.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My 70 year old house had spider webs of old phone lines in the attic AND crawlspace. I'm not sure how many phones you can fit in a 2bd house but my PO certainly did.

E: "had". I tore all that poo poo out

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 17, 2023

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

SpartanIvy posted:

My 70 year old house has spider webs of old phone lines in the attic AND crawlspace. I'm not sure how many phones you can fit in a 2bd house but my PO certainly did.

My 140 year old house was a duplex at one point and had, purely based on coax runs, at least four different groups of people living in it at one point. So, so much coax, and made worse with the rats nest of multiple runs coming into the house as well.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

When my company (the late, great Prudential) hired me in 1995 they sent Verizon out. They installed a commercial-grade comm box and ran four phone lines and one DSL line. I already had run three phone lines, so my home looked like it had been set up as a doctor's office or day-trading outfit.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Anyone here have mortgage-servicing through JP Morgan Chase Bank? Rocket Mortgage just informed me they've sold off the servicing aspect of my loan (the actual loan itself was sold within like three days of origination) to them now. Anything particularly horrible I ought to know about apart from the general gently caress-barrel of having a mortgage in the first place?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Sundae posted:

Anyone here have mortgage-servicing through JP Morgan Chase Bank? Rocket Mortgage just informed me they've sold off the servicing aspect of my loan (the actual loan itself was sold within like three days of origination) to them now. Anything particularly horrible I ought to know about apart from the general gently caress-barrel of having a mortgage in the first place?

our mortgage is (and always has been) through chase, works fine. their website and app are easy to use and don't cause us any issues.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

chase has been pretty low maintenance although i guess we got stuck in their "they don't have structure insurance!" filter somehow but other than that it's been fine

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

We've had Chase off and on for a majority of the last 12 years. They're fine, and haven't messed up anything escrow wise to date

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Chase too, with escrow for insurance and tax. I'm quite happy with them.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Same. Chase got ours shortly after we refinanced, so about 2.5 years now. Been just fine. Kind of convenient actually since our current car loan is there (via manufacturer financing), so it all shows up on the same dashboard.

Separate topic: lmao neighbor has clogged gutters. Has for several months now.

I mean I sympathize, because ours clog every drat year with maple seeds, but the funny part is there were maple saplings growing in theirs.

I say were... The funnier part is that they're all dead now, which makes me think he got up on a ladder to spray them with herbicide, but didn't take the extra half step to just pull them (and god knows what else is in there) out. So like the maples are dead, but the gutters are still clogged.

I only really noticed because they're on the side of his house facing our porch, so it's been a constant source of amusement for a while now.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Is there something that can be done relatively cheaply to raise or something this part of my driveway that water pools on?