Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How does one get in the business of starting banks? Probably a bad time to start one now, but there'll probably be demand for them here in about 18 months after the current crop has been absorbed, and getting a state banking license probably takes at least a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Hadlock posted:

How does one get in the business of starting banks? Probably a bad time to start one now, but there'll probably be demand for them here in about 18 months after the current crop has been absorbed, and getting a state banking license probably takes at least a year

Hasn't there been, like, very few new banks opened since Dodd-Frank? I remember reading about the hilariously named Bird-in-Hand Bank that's an Amish bank and how it was the first bank to open since 2008 despite opening in 2013. Maybe that doesn't include credit unions though.

I imagine the huge regulatory hurdles plus difficulty in building a branch network and depositor base that competes with megabanks make it not very attractive outside of a few specialty niches.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

State or National banking licenses issued? Thread darling SoFi got their national license (after aquiring a California bank) in '21

FDIC or the Fed or something publishes a list of open or pending licenses, it's not a short list

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

13-F deadline today.

Appaloosa (Tepper) added a ton of $UBER
Baupost (Klarman) added a ton of $GOOG
Berkshire dumped its TSM, RH, BK and USB. Kept its $C, huh, thought maybe he'd sell that with other non-BAC banks.
Duquesne (Druck) added a ton of $NVDA, $MSFT, $GOOGL, $AMZN. in-line with his recent AI comments.
Elliott (Singer) vaguely did the same ... but with QQQ calls, making that its top holding :staredog: (but notional shares)
Oaktree (Marks) added a ton of $GTX
Pershing Square (Ackman) big new position in $GOOG/$GOOGL
Scion (Burry) all sorts of big new things... $SIG, $NYCB, $ZM, $COF, $SBSW, etc. several banks.
Third Point (Loeb) big new position in $GOOGL
Viking Global (Halvorsen) large new position in $LULU

nothing else too eye-catching at first glance from the ones I read. looks like Google is the big winner from Q1 filings. it's up about 15% from March 31, most of that in the past week. cmon ai tech bubble gogogo

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pmchem posted:

13-F deadline today.

Duquesne (Druck) added a ton of $NVDA, $MSFT, $GOOGL, $AMZN. in-line with his recent AI comments.
Elliott (Singer) vaguely did the same ... but with QQQ calls, making that its top holding :staredog: (but notional shares)

Do we know how far out those QQQ calls were out in the future

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Do we know how far out those QQQ calls were out in the future

not entirely sure but I don't think so? here's the official docs
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1791786/000101359423000490/0001013594-23-000490-index.htm

maybe they blogged or posted about it somewhere, dunno

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Added another 34 shares of Mosaic Co (MOS) yesterday @$36.43/share. Cheap cheap cheap...

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
How do you all decide the % of your portfolio to commit to each of your hypotheses? Because it feels like no matter whatever risk model or formula we come up with, at the end of the day the numbers we plug into those formulas are just gut feelings.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Love Stole the Day posted:

How do you all decide the % of your portfolio to commit to each of your hypotheses? Because it feels like no matter whatever risk model or formula we come up with, at the end of the day the numbers we plug into those formulas are just gut feelings.

Uh-oh they've uncovered the secret...

Gauge your confidence, tempered by the risk/reward of the play.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Yep, it's all a play on what you think the odds/value is, versus what the market thinks. If you have a lot of confidence that the market price is off, make a big bet, otherwise stay very diversified. Those convictions don't come around often though! I'm mostly making relatively small bets here and there. Only had a very strong belief three times, got my money in twice. And paid off once.

Hey, wd is about to merge with kioxia, and perhaps split into HD and SSD companies. Seagate will get paid for their chunk of kioxia, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this will be good for them long-term. Refocused competition against them in the legacy HDD space, and lose their toehold in SSD.

Unless they can buy microns nand factory, the options are getting a lot fewer. Maybe they think they can just build out their own at some point, when they aren't able to buy nand from one of the remaining manufacturers cheaply enough.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Love Stole the Day posted:

Well I think the proper answer here says you take a look at the Kelly Criterion but uh, yeah, I ain't got time for that. It's probably easier to identify a stupid allocation than a great one unless you have the benefit of hindsight.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Where is the line line drawn between hedge fund and investment bank? Obviously one needs a banking license, and probably regulated by the Fed, whereas hedge funds are FINRA regulated and probably not subject to banking laws, deposits not subject to FDIC etc

What's the first year failure rate for hedge funds

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Where is the line line drawn between hedge fund and investment bank? Obviously one needs a banking license, and probably regulated by the Fed, whereas hedge funds are FINRA regulated and probably not subject to banking laws, deposits not subject to FDIC etc

What's the first year failure rate for hedge funds

That's kind of a two parter.

Hedge funds don't guarantee any returns whatsoever, everything is projections. Investment bank I would treat in the opposite direction, generally. Give to hedge fund/receive from investment bank?

Failure rate for hedge funds is very high, 2/3 fail at 5 years.. Which is very in line with what happens for a majority of retail traders and retail algotraders. Things sound fine until things fail. Same concept as building for failure in tech.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you knew for certain China was going to invade Taiwan an hour before NYSE open Monday, what would you buy (not options)

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Hadlock posted:

If you knew for certain China was going to invade Taiwan an hour before NYSE open Monday, what would you buy (not options)

Vix ETF, or Soxs to short semiconductors.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Hadlock posted:

The entire inventory of the nearest Microcenter

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pmchem posted:

The entire inventory of the nearest Microcenter

Lol.

Sell everything, put it into SQQQ and TZA, if you think those bets will still gonna get paid out. Maybe hurry to cash them out.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Short TQQQ long volatility

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

(not options)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

NVDA is quite the sight

if it increases revenues by 30% every year for the next 5 years (something it did not achieve at least since the GFC), and at the end of that is earning the best net profit margin it has ever made, and the market cap is unchanged in that time... its p/e will only be 22 after those 5 years!

broadcom, the 2nd largest US semi company, currently has a p/e of 22.x. it also has about 7x the EPS growth of nvda over the past 5Y and 1.5x the ROI.

something something AI

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Comedy answer INTC

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Hadlock posted:

Wait. What do you do for a living?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I work for a pretty generic startup that's focused on the domestic market. Probably

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Why wouldn’t you buy options this hypothetical makes no sense.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Baddog posted:

Lol.

Sell everything, put it into SQQQ and TZA, if you think those bets will still gonna get paid out. Maybe hurry to cash them out.

The sell everything scenario is already upon us.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pastrami posted:

Why wouldn’t you buy options this hypothetical makes no sense.

Because they look at options for insider trading, and you probably shouldn't trust internet advice that the thing is going to happen on the exact date/time

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

Hadlock posted:

Because they look at options for insider trading, and you probably shouldn't trust internet advice that the thing is going to happen on the exact date/time

I don’t think the SEC is going to flag you for buying your 7 vix calls before a geopolitical black swan.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Hadlock posted:

They also check stocks, and any invasion definitely isn't soon, you'd see the buildup on satellite images. The invasion, if/ when it happens, most likely won't be a surprise.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Hadlock posted:

They also monitor this thread. Martha Stewart was a goon.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also how is "we think there's about to be a war" insider information at any company

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

significantly less :catdrugs:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

significantly less :catdrugs:

It came up in a conversation; I was curious what the thread would do in that situation: see also thread title

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

It came up in a conversation; I was curious what the thread would do in that situation: see also thread title

I totally understand, I'm being silly. I think the responses in the thread are pretty reasonable, but without doing options I'd say you could open a futures short on everything as well using the CME mini/micro's/NDX, etc. I'd be shorting CNYUSD as well.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hadlock posted:

NDRA

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

also what I would buy if china was not going to invade taiwan

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
We're gonna get bernanke'd today, according to this news article: https://www.investors.com/market-trend/stock-market-today/dow-jones-futures-powell-speech-warren-buffett-occidental-petroleum/

So, I'm thinking of just taking profits due to the uncertainty (especially considering the Cramer post a bit ago), even though it's only 3%~6% for everything, and just re-entering afterward in new positions.

edit: I worry that today will be a pump and dump

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 19, 2023

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I’m gonna feel like such a fool if China invades next week and I did nothing based on this hypothetical.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

latinotwink1997 posted:

I’m gonna feel like such a fool if China invades next week and I did nothing based on this hypothetical.

How do you feel not buying SOFI all last year?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What if on Tuesday immediately before market opens that the Chinese announce they've bought off the FTC and acquired JP Morgan in cash, and bought and merged it with SoFi at 5x face value, but they're keeping the SOFI ticker. What would your move be today? No options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Hadlock posted:

What if on Tuesday immediately before market opens that the Chinese announce they've bought off the FTC and acquired JP Morgan in cash, and bought and merged it with SoFi at 5x face value, but they're keeping the SOFI ticker. What would your move be today? No options

Probably stop taking LSD OP