Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I kept Edge off until death is confirmed like I kept Bakugo off because jearts.

I say ya put a lotta jearts in that game, Homestar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Kinda rough that the first on-page death was a trans woman

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I still think it's really funny that all of this is basically X-Less's fault.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Snipe should have gone for the head at USJ.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Looking at the list.

Magne F
Nighteye M
Sand Hero: Snatch M
Curious (reporter lady) F
Eel Boy M
Twice M
X Less M
Crust M

Midnight F
Majestic M
Native M

Stars and Stripes F

Outside of random nameless folks and people dead before it starts that seems to be the whole list. So at the moment roughly 2-1.

Also technically Bakugo but he is coming back.

this list does demonstrate why the discussion comes up sometimes because all the dudes in bold are absolute nothing characters whose deaths did not register (and nighteye very clearly dies because his power is hard to write around) so no one remembers or cares about them

that said hori's writing issues have imo very little to do with breaking out the death crosstabs and are way more banal "this shonen writer seems to have little interest in most of his female characters and is sometimes horny in a weird way or at least appears to be" type things

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Valentin posted:

this list does demonstrate why the discussion comes up sometimes because all the dudes in bold are absolute nothing characters whose deaths did not register (and nighteye very clearly dies because his power is hard to write around) so no one remembers or cares about them

Of those bolded, seeing their names again I remembered Snatch and Crust clearly but the others aside from Native don't ring a bell. (I don't recall Native dying unless Stain did it? I oughta do a reread soon, drat.) Was X-Less the guy who had his cloak stolen by Shiggy during the reawakening?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

yeah x-less ends up existing purely as a cape delivery service, which tbf is a better deal than majestic gets (exists mostly to traumatize momo)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don’t remember reporter lady.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don’t remember reporter lady.

I only remember her because it was an 'oh poo poo' moment when Toga used Ochako's Quirk and killed a bunch of people

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

FireWorksWell posted:

Of those bolded, seeing their names again I remembered Snatch and Crust clearly but the others aside from Native don't ring a bell. (I don't recall Native dying unless Stain did it? I oughta do a reread soon, drat.) Was X-Less the guy who had his cloak stolen by Shiggy during the reawakening?

Native died offscreen - the last time you see him on-panel he gets owned by one of the near high end nomus, then he shows up on a casualty list later.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Valentin posted:

that said hori's writing issues have imo very little to do with breaking out the death crosstabs and are way more banal "this shonen writer seems to have little interest in most of his female characters and is sometimes horny in a weird way or at least appears to be" type things

That being said, whenever Mirko is not on page, people should be asking "Where's Mirko?"

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

That being said, whenever Mirko is not on page, people should be asking "Where's Mirko?"

She's hoppin' around.

And also hoppin' mad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

I only remember her because it was an 'oh poo poo' moment when Toga used Ochako's Quirk and killed a bunch of people

Oh right. Cool arc imo. The VA shoulda killed more people.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I still can't believe that the LoV learned the power of friendship and how to be more effective villains only to immediately lose their entire organization in the immediate next arc and have Shigaraki more or less erased as a character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It’s rough being a villain.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I still can't believe that the LoV learned the power of friendship and how to be more effective villains only to immediately lose their entire organization in the immediate next arc and have Shigaraki more or less erased as a character.

I mean, isn't that just standard practice? Giving a character a whole bunch of development at once is basically just raising a death flag for them.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
There was so much setup though. The paranormal liberation front had generals, spies, they MADE a lot of the gear the heroes use! I don't think that's even come up since it was said.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

TheHan posted:

There was so much setup though. The paranormal liberation front had generals, spies, they MADE a lot of the gear the heroes use! I don't think that's even come up since it was said.

That was always kind of weird because even back then I knew there was never a chance they would have enough time to show off all those different regiments.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

oh jay posted:

That was always kind of weird because even back then I knew there was never a chance they would have enough time to show off all those different regiments.

It's a shame they didn't because some of those regiments looked cool. I think Toga has a droid working for her!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

TheHan posted:

oh jay posted:

I am incredibly sure that the entire Detnerat/Paranormal Liberation Front thing was originally meant to set up for an extremely long running manga from an earlier time when Horikoshi was still thinking he wanted to spend his entire working career doing MHA like Oda has with One Piece. He went out of his way to carefully place a lot of building blocks for a basically infinite number of future arcs - tons of mooks for the heroes to punch, "generals" who were more important and powerful but still expendable so the heroes could get meaningful wins, a pre-baked betrayal plot to spring later with the "Deternat makes most of the hero gear" thing, etc.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7372/my-hero-academia-chapter-389

weiner time

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
don't have a single clue what's happening in that last 2 page spread but it looks cool

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wait, that was it? That was the whole chapter?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part of it's the two consecutive double spreads, but yes, it is only like, twelve pages, and the former makes the latter much more glaring

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The title page: Sir Not Appearing In This Chapter. :lmao:

Why did Ida turn into a fighter plane? Oh I guess Shoto made it out of ice and they'll explain how this is making them go faster in a flash back next chapter.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 19, 2023

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

don't have a single clue what's happening in that last 2 page spread but it looks cool

It looks like Todoroki basically made a fighter jet airframe for Iida to make him more aerodynamic(?) and cool him off, and the speed that Iida is going at is tearing the Ingenium armor off Todoroki.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dabi coming to the realization he should have just killed off his family sooner while they are still trying to be nice to him is pretty on brand for him

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Who was that person we see praying on the second to last two page spread? I recognize everyone else they cut to, but not her.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eggplant Squire posted:

Dabi coming to the realization he should have just killed off his family sooner while they are still trying to be nice to him is pretty on brand for him

Did we really expect anything more from him at this point?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016662
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-389/chapter/39075?action=read

Dabi is basically just Baby Jane. Wants be to look at him and likes dancing.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Poops Mcgoots posted:

It looks like Todoroki basically made a fighter jet airframe for Iida to make him more aerodynamic(?) and cool him off, and the speed that Iida is going at is tearing the Ingenium armor off Todoroki.

I believe the jet airframe is nondiegetic. While Ida is going super fast, Shoto is prepping his phosphor, so they are leaving a contrail like an actual jet.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DabisPoleDance/status/1661246600646389761

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Love the pace, love the breaks, love that it's coming all during the big final arc. It's great.

Take an extended break for crying out loud.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I think Hori has the same idea as Kubo had, that if he stops now he won't be able to actually end the manga.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So nothing would be different, dohohoho

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Flair posted:

I believe the jet airframe is nondiegetic. While Ida is going super fast, Shoto is prepping his phosphor, so they are leaving a contrail like an actual jet.

I couldn’t see the jet in the speedscans but no shoto really do make an ice jet construct around them lol. you can even see it breaking up in the final page as they enter the dab-o-sphere. but my favorite detail is iida’s lil legs dangling out the bottom of the jet.

imagine him getting snagged on a billboard

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It's going to be funny when they arrive, and Shoto gives his big speech about family to Dabi, and Iida is just kind of awkwardly along for the ride.

"I uhh, don't really know you that well, and to be honest, you seem like an extremely unpleasant person, but Shoto is my friend, so you should uhh, listen to him I guess."

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
probly gonna be more awkward for shoto as iida’s body is loving incinerated in this supernova.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Rhonne posted:

It's going to be funny when they arrive, and Shoto gives his big speech about family to Dabi, and Iida is just kind of awkwardly along for the ride.

"I uhh, don't really know you that well, and to be honest, you seem like an extremely unpleasant person, but Shoto is my friend, so you should uhh, listen to him I guess."

I imagine Tenya is there to bring up his brother Tensei at some point to contrast Shoto's relationship with his brother Toya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

TheHan posted:

but my favorite detail is iida’s lil legs dangling out the bottom of the jet.

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 27, 2023