Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
does BG1EE on Steam Deck currently run as good as, if not better than, the Nintendo Switch version? is the patch with the portrait thingy gonna maybe bring them all to controller parity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

wizard2 posted:

does BG1EE on Steam Deck currently run as good as, if not better than, the Nintendo Switch version? is the patch with the portrait thingy gonna maybe bring them all to controller parity?

Having the touch pads alone and a rebindable key for tab highlighting would be immensely better than any standard gaming controller and that’s already in the Steam Deck version.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Node posted:

My options were all reset for some reason, including max hp on level up. I'm curious how long that has been going on. How many hp should Jaheira, with standard 17 constitution, have at levels 13/13? She has 90 for me which seems low.

Your config options are kept in a .lua file in the same directory as your saves, so either your game lost track of the file or it was deleted somehow?

The NPCs definitely don't have maxed HP rolls for their 'starting' level. You can use EEKeeper to recalculate their HP to the maximum possible, if you care.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Node posted:

My options were all reset for some reason, including max hp on level up. I'm curious how long that has been going on. How many hp should Jaheira, with standard 17 constitution, have at levels 13/13? She has 90 for me which seems low.

Max HP per level up would have her at 111 HP I think, assuming the fighter constitution bonus and static HP gain from level 10+ both get rounded up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm almost done with my current game and will be attempting no mods Baldur's Gate 1 Siege of Dragonspear , Baldurs Gate 2 and Throne of Ball on the Playstation 4.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I had to drop down to story mode for the final boss of Dragonspear, i had almost killed him about 3 times before i got tired of resetting on sombody dying. Granted i didn't do every single quest but i didn't have a ton of +3 weapons to go around! I was dual wielding the long sword and short sword, and Viconia had +3 warhammer so everybody else was just kinda SOL. I never even found any +3 arrows for Corwin to use :(

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Yeah there are +3 arrows in some container on a map I don't remember which I realize is no help at all.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

If i had to take a guess it would have been in the 3000 containers either in the crusader camp or maybe in the tunnels right underneath the castle itself! Both perfectly good places to hide something that would have been useful like that :v:

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
The game throws a bunch of Enchanted Weapon scrolls at you in Dragonspear proper IIRC, you just have to remember to use them. That, and those potions of Fire Resistance and Clarity.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Dynaheir unfortunately cannot learn or scroll cast enchant weapon.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't know about "a bunch" of scrolls, I remember one, maybe two?

I believe Voghlin comes with it already in his spell book

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is there a simple way to deal with fire giants in TOB? They just chew up my front liners with -15 AC and seem to resist everything.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Node posted:

Is there a simple way to deal with fire giants in TOB? They just chew up my front liners with -15 AC and seem to resist everything.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 18, 2023

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
In ToB AC is worthless, everyone will hit you regardless. You just need to kill them faster with improved haste or greater whirlwind on your frontline, and if you’re really desperate for tanking power you can get four expensive rounds of invincibility by having your wizard soak all the attacks with Protection from Magical Weapons. You can also distract them with chaff from spamming low-level summons.

Also hit up Watcher’s keep if you need xp, an extra use or two of Greater Whirlwind will shorten the fight a lot.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

In ToB AC is worthless, everyone will hit you regardless. You just need to kill them faster with improved haste or greater whirlwind on your frontline, and if you’re really desperate for tanking power you can get four expensive rounds of invincibility by having your wizard soak all the attacks with Protection from Magical Weapons. You can also distract them with chaff from spamming low-level summons.

Also hit up Watcher’s keep if you need xp, an extra use or two of Greater Whirlwind will shorten the fight a lot.

This^ is just how TOB is generally too. AC becomes meaningless so your approach to physical damage dealers has to change. You need to make a lot more use of:

- stacked damage reduction from things like hardiness HLA, armour of faith spell, items like defender of easthaven, etc
- spell protections line ironskins/stoneskin, protection from magical weapons etc
- summons, either chaff that can absorb a few attacks, like elementals or mountain bears; or specific high level summons like Mordenkainen's sword which is immune to physical damage and planetars/devas that can actually go toe to toe with TOB enemies

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe how good I am at bricking my saves in Planescape Torment.

15 years ago I played the Mac port because that was all I had and my only save file corrupted itself

5 years ago I finally tried again with the Enhanced Edition, one of my party members who I was using as an item mule died in the Modron Maze after hours of grinding, and I didn't realize he dropped all my key items in a part of the maze that is impossible to return to

Now I managed to get 3 of my party members killed and I totally forgot where to unlock Raise Dead. So I dumped their corpses in the Mortuary and booted them from the party so I'm not dragging the bodies around every map. Just found out after many hours into the game that it is impossible to revive them with Raise Dead if you reform the party while they're dead.

Anyway....

Are there no weapons for TNO that gain accuracy/damage from Dexterity? That seems odd after playing so many other games that only Strength affects your hit chance and damage? Also TNO has 5 quiver slots and can't use ranged weapons? Are they trolling me?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Remember that PS:T is building extremely specific characters with extremely specific equipment and builds in the larger AD&D 2e ruleset (and the Infinity Engine).

There's nothing that TNO can use that uses his Dexterity score to affect damage or attack rolls, no. In 2e Dexterity helped with ranged attacks only, but only Nordom (and maybe Ignus?) have those. In the very late game there are some weapons you can find that buff Dexterity, but those still don't use it for attack rolls.

Similarly, quiver slots exist solely for Nordom's bolts in this game.

I believe turning TNO into a thief is largely a trap option unfortunately, as long as you're not kicking out Annah.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

There's nothing that TNO can use that uses his Dexterity score to affect damage or attack rolls, no. In 2e Dexterity helped with ranged attacks only, but only Nordom (and maybe Ignus?) have those. In the very late game there are some weapons you can find that buff Dexterity, but those still don't use it for attack rolls.
Nope, not even Ignus. If you order him to attack, he will gently tap the enemies with his finger.

Do we know why ranged weapons aren't a thing in this game ? I know that Chris Avellone wanted to subvert classic fantasy tropes, including weaponry - hence the absence of swords - but absolutely no ranged weapons seem extreme. Personally I always thought it had something to do with the fact that the camera seemed much closer to the ground that in other IE games, probably so that we could admire the custom models of the party and some important characters.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

X_Toad posted:

Nope, not even Ignus. If you order him to attack, he will gently tap the enemies with his finger.

Do we know why ranged weapons aren't a thing in this game ? I know that Chris Avellone wanted to subvert classic fantasy tropes, including weaponry - hence the absence of swords - but absolutely no ranged weapons seem extreme. Personally I always thought it had something to do with the fact that the camera seemed much closer to the ground that in other IE games, probably so that we could admire the custom models of the party and some important characters.

I thought Nordom used a crossbow and bolts?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Arivia posted:

I thought Nordom used a crossbow and bolts?

He does.

https://torment.fandom.com/wiki/Crossbow_bolts

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bolts of Wincing lmao

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Well I beat Planescape finally, it was actually pretty linear after Ravel since I made a beeline to all the main quests. I wound up with 25 Str, Con, and Wis (what helped the most was learning about a trick where you start with exactly 15 STR and you can get a single point from the level 7 fighter specialization that makes you skip all the 18 STR fractionals like "18/00" STR. I got the Siphon Knuckles early on and used those and the regen to facetank everything, and did a lot with no one in my party to speed leveling (bad design IMO to split the XP between members so you have to choose between their cool banter or multiplying the grinding you need).

Ending felt kinda whack after having it hyped up all these years, it didn't feel profound in the way Fallout 1/2 did, yeah I know those have you chasing a MacGuffin but at least The Master / The Enclave were very interesting adversaries.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rip tony jay

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

Rip tony jay

Whoa he's "return the map" from Time Bandits? I was noticing how cool the voice was, even though he was written like an edgelord, which is forgivable for the game being 2 years after Sephiroth.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I dunno man I still have "ahhhhhhhhhhhh the Githzerai" go through my head on at least a weekly basis, I would say beating the game is worth it just for Tony Jay (no I also love just about everything about the game, I am even the rare Combat Apologist because I love how you can actually feel like a truly powerful melee character for the only time in the Infinity Engine games there [yes I have never played a wizard as a result despite this being the objectively best way to play; maybe I will finally get the Enhanced Edition and give that a shot {further parenthetical <hello>}])

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

I dunno man I still have "ahhhhhhhhhhhh the Githzerai" go through my head on at least a weekly basis, I would say beating the game is worth it just for Tony Jay (no I also love just about everything about the game, I am even the rare Combat Apologist because I love how you can actually feel like a truly powerful melee character for the only time in the Infinity Engine games there [yes I have never played a wizard as a result despite this being the objectively best way to play; maybe I will finally get the Enhanced Edition and give that a shot {further parenthetical <hello>}])

([{<hi>}])

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Is Watchers Keep the Durlags Tower equivilent in BG2? As in it's technically avaiable right from the start but you'll get destroyed if you go in right away?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Shame Boy posted:

Is Watchers Keep the Durlags Tower equivilent in BG2? As in it's technically avaiable right from the start but you'll get destroyed if you go in right away?

Basically. You can attempt it in Chapter 6 if you want to and have a reasonable chance of clearing at least part of it, but you can’t really make the most of it until TOB unless you have mods because no one in SOA can make the upgraded gear it gives you the parts for.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It is worth going and talking to the NPCs outside of it asap because one of them is a merchant and you can buy stuff like Firetooth which is real nice to have that early in bg2.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Shame Boy posted:

Note also that you can access it from SoA and ToB, but they're separate areas in the game files so you can do it twice if you want. It's perfectly viable to do in late SoA but you'll end up hilariously overlevelled and over geared for SoA's end game content.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Zero VGS posted:

Well I beat Planescape finally, it was actually pretty linear after Ravel since I made a beeline to all the main quests. I wound up with 25 Str, Con, and Wis (what helped the most was learning about a trick where you start with exactly 15 STR and you can get a single point from the level 7 fighter specialization that makes you skip all the 18 STR fractionals like "18/00" STR. I got the Siphon Knuckles early on and used those and the regen to facetank everything, and did a lot with no one in my party to speed leveling (bad design IMO to split the XP between members so you have to choose between their cool banter or multiplying the grinding you need).

Ending felt kinda whack after having it hyped up all these years, it didn't feel profound in the way Fallout 1/2 did, yeah I know those have you chasing a MacGuffin but at least The Master / The Enclave were very interesting adversaries.

Nice to see someone play with a warrior focus and high physical ability scores. I've always been all about Wis/Int/Cha and lots of mage levels, and it seems that most others do too.

I don't think that the ending of PS:T is that great on its own, but the journey is remarkable. I do agree that splitting experience between party members is moronic - always has been. Solo runs in party-based games make no sense to me. They sound very dull from a player perspective and very unrealistic from a narrative perspective... 'I'm on a vital quest to save the kingdom/world/cosmos/my own soul. I'd best avoid the help of powerful companions and really make my life difficult'.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ginette Reno posted:

It is worth going and talking to the NPCs outside of it asap because one of them is a merchant and you can buy stuff like Firetooth which is real nice to have that early in bg2.
Yeah I remember feeling like I had messed up my game by talking to them too early, or maybe there is just a way to have a conversation with them that locks you out of an option with the keep if you are not paying attention or are not powerful enough to do the first room or something? I am sure somebody knows what I am talking about.

Also I was looking through my phone pictures from last year and realized this is the only thread on the Forums that will definitely understand me being so excited to get to see Ed Greenwood's original map up close

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JustJeff88 posted:

I do agree that splitting experience between party members is moronic - always has been. Solo runs in party-based games make no sense to me. They sound very dull from a player perspective and very unrealistic from a narrative perspective... 'I'm on a vital quest to save the kingdom/world/cosmos/my own soul. I'd best avoid the help of powerful companions and really make my life difficult'.

IIRC only combat experience is split, quest experience every gets the full amount. So a party of four killing a 1000xp monster each character gets 250xp, turning in a quest worth 1000xp earns each character 1000xp. That might vary game to game.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Word of warning about doing WK early in SoA. Sometimes the first floor main room will have 2 hasted vampire wraiths that will murder the gently caress out of your charname. They go straight to you and ignore everyone else.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah I remember feeling like I had messed up my game by talking to them too early, or maybe there is just a way to have a conversation with them that locks you out of an option with the keep if you are not paying attention or are not powerful enough to do the first room or something? I am sure somebody knows what I am talking about.

This is just a guess, but the first time you talk to those folks, and (I think?) after you say you'll help them, the dude gives you two items, at least one of which you'll need to access the keep in the first place. If you lose those, you're screwed will have to console them back in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You can also miss out on some loot I think if you visit too low level because of how it scales challenges to your level.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rappaport posted:

This is just a guess, but the first time you talk to those folks, and (I think?) after you say you'll help them, the dude gives you two items, at least one of which you'll need to access the keep in the first place. If you lose those, you're screwed will have to console them back in.
This sounds right, I sometimes dump everything that seems like it is no longer needed in a central location and I can see myself having done that with a Watcher's Keep item having long since forgotten what it was for, and then being unable to get back to wherever I put it without backtracking hours of saves to the previous game. Though yes clearly just edit it in at that point

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

This sounds right, I sometimes dump everything that seems like it is no longer needed in a central location and I can see myself having done that with a Watcher's Keep item having long since forgotten what it was for, and then being unable to get back to wherever I put it without backtracking hours of saves to the previous game. Though yes clearly just edit it in at that point

I believe in the EE versions it's safe to store literally everything in a bag of holding so just do that and get rid only of old gear you're sure you won't need any more.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
You can also clear all of Watchers Keep in chapter 2. Give it a try if you want a challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Flowing Thot posted:

You can also clear all of Watchers Keep in chapter 2. Give it a try if you want a challenge.

Years before Let's Plays were a thing there was a thread on the official Bioware forum where someone cleared Watcher's Keep solo with a Jester immediately after getting out of Irenicus' dungeon.