Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So I saw it pointed out that there were only 19 swords in front of the throne, meaning this is probably the 20th:

This seems to suggest that Imu is indeed Lili, tho ofc it could be stolen and kept there out of spite too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Leaked clip of Luffy defeating the final villain:

Oda does it again

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
chopper was the one character who got to be cool in punk hazard.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Didn't Sanji's super cooking skills come up in Whole Cake when they had to get the wedding cake set up?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Didn't Sanji's super cooking skills come up in Whole Cake when they had to get the wedding cake set up?

Yes, but not his specific recipes from the timeskip training.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Yes but that had nothing to do with his Kamabakka Attack Cuisine or whatever that nonsense was

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
The offal stew in Punk Hazard and the cream he made for the wedding cake are Newkama recipies. Only 97 left, hurry up Oda.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, it’s easy to just assume that’s a constant background thing, like Usopp cultivates his weird Batman plants in the garden of Thousand Sunny but we only know that’s a thing because it was mentioned in extra stuff.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

This kind of all stems from too many extra arc characters and not enough Strawhat downtime hanging out together, basically since the timeskip.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

socialsecurity posted:

This kind of all stems from too many extra arc characters and not enough Strawhat downtime hanging out together, basically since the timeskip.

It doesn't help that the manga essentially spent Punk Hazard to Wano on one breakneck plot thread for 10 years

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i think it would be weird if im ended up being lili given all the talk about the nefertaris being traitors etc.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It doesn't help that the manga essentially spent Punk Hazard to Wano on one breakneck plot thread for 10 years

How long in universe was that span of time anyways

Like, 2 weeks?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wano was like a couple weeks by itself

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

lih posted:

i think it would be weird if im ended up being lili given all the talk about the nefertaris being traitors etc.

Lili is the original Joyboy :twisted:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Like, 2 weeks?

The non Wholecake Island Strawhats were in Wano for a month or so before Luffy returned.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TheKingofSprings posted:

Like, 2 weeks?

Everything since Syrup Village happened in 3 seconds.

Yes even the timeskip, don't worry about it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It’s explicitly been a month since Reverie. Which was on going during the middle of Wano.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Watch all this Nefertari stuff turn out to be a huge red herring when we find out "Lili" is just the warm-up to "LILILILILILILILI" as the newest ridiculous character laugh.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

I think WCI really benefitted from 1) a slimmed down set of straw hats, 2) fewer secondary protagonists and 3) a scaled down mission objective that wasn't "take out the bad guy and every single one of their officers". The focus characters got a lot more time to shine and it was also a breath of fresh air to have a storyline revolving around rescue/intel gathering/assassination and escape rather than just fighting everyone in sight.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

lih posted:

Did i miss this? I dont remember this being a thing

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

just this from what i remember.
from 908

notwithyourheart fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 20, 2023

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I see. My guess is that Lili and her brother had a falling out, and it was her brother's decision to opt out of being Celestial Dragons. Since the Nefertaris never swore the oath, and Lili did not want to return to Alabasta as a regular monarch, she had the opportunity to take the throne herself. She gets to rule as Imu, and her family gets branded as traitors.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

That seems a lot more convoluted than just saying that Lili got offed on Imu's orders

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

HerraS posted:

That seems a lot more convoluted than just saying that Lili got offed on Imu's orders
It does answer the question- where does Imu fit into all of this?

The story told, even to the Tenryubito themselves, is that they're all equal amongst each other. And yet someone is secretly above them. That's the mystery that would be answered if it was Lilly, the one who refused to be a part of the new world order where 20 families ruled together.

It's probably more likely that Lilly was simply morally opposed to the Original Sin of the World Government (whatever that was), and they offed her to keep her quiet. But I get Imu = Lilly theories as something that gives more context for Imu. At some point we're going to need to know something about the most politically powerful villain in the world.

Either way it's cool that Vivi is probably going to be key to the endgame of this manga, when she was introduced as a random bounty hunter trying to kill a whale from the inside for food.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

To me the most likely thing would be that Lili was a D. and Vivi has inherited her will, which is why Imu is obsessed with her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also as pictured at the top of the page, there’s a sword in the ground in the area where Imu was first seen (though it’s possible they simply took it from Lily). It’s pretty clear that Imu is at least connected to her in some fashion even if they aren’t one and the same

In any case, as mentioned I like that Vivi is going to play a major role of some kind in the final arc of the series (still holding out hope for her becoming a full fledged Strawhat at some point, or at least until Imu and the Celestial Dragons are out of the picture)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 20, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lili was so put off by Imu's advances that she swam off to a largely unreachable island in the middle of the Calm Belt and refused to let any men ever set foot there

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
every time I see the outline of Imu I can't stop thinking about Lord Farquaad from Shrek and based on what Vegapunk ended up looking like there's a decent chance that it happens

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Lili was so put off by Imu's advances that she swam off to a largely unreachable island in the middle of the Calm Belt and refused to let any men ever set foot there

Turned 360 and swam backwards looking like this all the way

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I just found out that the symphony that is touring with One Piece music is going to do two US dates this summer. Dallas on July 5th & LA on July 15th!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tampa Bae posted:

every time I see the outline of Imu I can't stop thinking about Lord Farquaad from Shrek and based on what Vegapunk ended up looking like there's a decent chance that it happens

Yeah, dollars to donuts that the big twist of Imu's identity is not who he is but what he looks like, like Vegapunk

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Imu is gonna have a red nose

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.crunchyroll.com/watch/G4VUQ8K8D/the-three-sword-style-of-the-supreme-king-zoro-vs-king

posting the anime again bc they put budget into zoro vs king

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Imu is gonna have a red nose

Imu is actually Buggy’s ancestor and that’s why he keeps getting promoted

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah the zoro vs king episode got some ufotable quality animation for the ending, it's definitely worth a watch for just the spectacle.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Julias posted:

Yeah the zoro vs king episode got some ufotable quality animation for the ending, it's definitely worth a watch for just the spectacle.

Oh, so they plastered a bunch of fancy post-processing over pretty good fights?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah, get em

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/chlorinenation/status/1660121733410746369

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

to me, cobra's recap about the 20 families and the 19 swords emphasized that the swords symbolized the promise that none of the 20 Kings would sit on the empty throne. If Lili didn't put her sword there, that means she's exempt from that promise. So, it just makes sense that she is Imu.