Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Hadlock posted:

If you knew for certain China was going to invade Taiwan an hour before NYSE open Monday, what would you buy (not options)

Texas Instruments (TXN)? Probably a basket of US defence stocks like Lockheed Martin (LMT) though the US isn't going to do much but huff n' bluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/19/jim-cramer-says-brace-yourself-for-next-weeks-debt-ceiling-deal-.html

quote:

CNBCs Jim Cramer told investors on Friday to brace themselves for the week ahead as Washington teases a resolution to the debt ceiling crisis.

“If we do we get a debt ceiling deal, it’ll certainly move stocks higher, bringing tons of sidelined cash back into the market, even if it’s earning more than 5%. Yes, stocks will be that attractive,” he said.

jim don't care about 2011

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

What if on Tuesday immediately before market opens that the Chinese announce they've bought off the FTC and acquired JP Morgan in cash, and bought and merged it with SoFi at 5x face value, but they're keeping the SOFI ticker. What would your move be today? No options

Again, less :catdrugs:. These are some bonkers hypotheticals. If Chinese took over the individual stock moves and stock market itself are irrelevant.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Closed most of my positions ahead of the Fed Chair talk today yesterday, and it seems to have been well timed! Instead of doing $2k~$3k bets, now I did $3k~$4k bets and have gotten the same 3%~12% returns on each one. The horizon for these trades is about 1~3 weeks each, so I'm hoping if I keep getting lucky then I can compound it, so that it turns into a bigger number when annualized.

Part of me wants to skip a few steps and go to $8k~$10k bets, because I haven't been burned yet.

I worry about the psychological part of scaling up, where each % point is like a month's rent or more. I'm sure for you all it's nothing because you've been doing it for longer.

Maybe this is all just part of the process of getting into this stuff as a hobby.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

first saw a version of this in 2020 or 2021 but it is still a fun read. i keep some notes of my own but nothing so exhaustive:

https://twitter.com/upslopecapital/status/1659940625129811969

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Hadlock posted:

If you knew for certain China was going to invade Taiwan an hour before NYSE open Monday, what would you buy (not options)

Every hard drive Amazon has in stock

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

MetaJew posted:

How do you feel not buying SOFI all last year?

Pretty good really.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I use SoFi for banking and for a small dumbshit funbux brokerage account, but I don't own $SOFI

So am I a terrible person or no

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Did anyone make a sofi's choice joke?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

I use SoFi for banking and for a small dumbshit funbux brokerage account, but I don't own $SOFI

So am I a terrible person or no

you are a smart person

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Did anyone make a sofi's choice joke?

No and :lmao:

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It's shocking how much the mega-cap tech stocks have climbed early this year. Apple/Microsoft/Google/Amazon all +30-40% YTD, Meta and Nvidia are both +100% YTD. Meanwhile the SPY itself is up 8% YTD. And those megacaps alone make up almost 25% of the SPY by cap weight.

AI hype boosting tech? Fake economy? People seeking "safety" in the biggest cap companies?

Hard to decide what to invest in at the moment. Especially when the core cash position at Fidelity is up over 4.7%.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

they've all cut staff, and the market loving loves it when big tech companies lay off 5% of their employees

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Subvisual Haze posted:

It's shocking how much the mega-cap tech stocks have climbed early this year. Apple/Microsoft/Google/Amazon all +30-40% YTD, Meta and Nvidia are both +100% YTD. Meanwhile the SPY itself is up 8% YTD. And those megacaps alone make up almost 25% of the SPY by cap weight.

Sure, they're up YTD, but only because they crashed right before the new year. Most are still down from the peak, or are Apple.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Subvisual Haze posted:

AI hype boosting tech? Fake economy? People seeking "safety" in the biggest cap companies?

Hard to decide what to invest in at the moment. Especially when the core cash position at Fidelity is up over 4.7%.

Those companies were down *bigly* last year, you're picking a pretty deep trough to measure their bounce.
I guess apple and nvidia are back near their all time highs though. Nvidia in particular seems overinflated to me right now.

for the AI hype, microsoft doesn't seem nearly as pumped as nvidia is. Looks like they don't actually "own" openai though. The structure is kind of weird. https://fourweekmba.com/who-owns-openai/

Meta still seems to be floundering around, maybe just not quite as much. apple continues to crush. google's search engine *sucks* right now (relatively), just swamped with bullshit. They actually seem somewhat vulnerable to me, for the first time in forever. Amazon, I dunno. I still think their cloud solution is better, but their innovation seems to be slowing? But they are still (deservedly) way off their highs.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
oops

Red fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 23, 2023

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Red posted:

Someone just ran Goose -> Storm -> Polaris -> Spider-Man, with Spidey on T5. Fuckin' brutal.

If it weren't for "Spider-Man" I'm not sure I would've known you were in the wrong thread. At first I wondered if you were describing some sort of complicated set of trades or something.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
They put option trading into marvel snap yet?

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Etrade lets me enter that thanos gold split on T4

Jows
May 8, 2002

I think he's in the right thread

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Baddog posted:

Etrade lets me enter that thanos gold split on T4

This guy gets it

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Anyone doing anything of note now that debt ceiling shenanigans are starting to come into full focus? I put on some index shorts but haven't actually sold any of my longs.

VIX at 18 feels low here.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I thought about this too, but it is stunning to me how vulnerable Google Search feels. It is impossible to find anything on it and i have to spend so much time self-filtering or garbage results because they are making no effort in providing good search.

I don't know what to be excited about wrt Google as a company and an tempted to buy some long, long puts on them.

What was the last piece of software Google either made or updated that was exciting? They have a huge portfolio of software that people use, but I'm not sure anyone is really attached to any of their stuff, except passively by circumstance. I will say that some of their modern software does solve complex infrastructural problems, but they have lost all touch with what it means to actually use that software that I think they are asking for slow if steady migration away from their platforms if/when other people enter the market.

Google's business plan 15 years ago was, 'make good software'' and that works very well if you actually execute on that plan, but those days are long gone. If you are going to make garbage software, then you should make it really hard to move away from your garbage - Apple has figured this out long ago and I don't know if Google is in a position to lock people onto their platform without causing more business harm then good.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 23, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Going to need a Steve Jobs type person to convince consumers to switch from Google to ChatGPT

Whoever is running open ai is not that person

Google still has a significant moat in that most Android phones point to Google.com for most services, and people rarely change the defaults on their devices

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Google search sucks rear end but instead of striking while they have an openint microsoft is trying to pivot their competitor into bonzi buddy

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Going to need a Steve Jobs type person to convince consumers to switch from Google to ChatGPT

Whoever is running open ai is not that person

Google still has a significant moat in that most Android phones point to Google.com for most services, and people rarely change the defaults on their devices

Certainly, but this is something that I think is going to happen on the scale of a decade and it's the kind of thing that is going to be extremely hard to reverse. Windows has been experiencing this basically since Windows 7 and I expect Windows' position as the dominant desktop OS to be in question come 2035, with no real route to reclaim that unless they pull their head out of their asses.

Something like Manifest V3 is going to cause some core chunk of nerds to switch to Firefox, but if some critical mass of ads can no longer be trivially blocked on Chromium that can be blocked on Firefox, that wave will gradually expand to an increasingly ignorant chunk of the market share. It'll take many years, but it wouldn't be the first time we've seen it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

this is something that I think is going to happen on the scale of a decade and

Is there any discussion on setting up options to be traded on a ten year basis? Furthest out I've seen is like, something like 24 months currently

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Is there any discussion on setting up options to be traded on a ten year basis? Furthest out I've seen is like, something like 24 months currently

Yeah, I think that might not be real. The longest I think I've ever see is somewhere on the order of 3 years. I can put MSFT puts 950 days out right now but that's the largest I found looking around for a few minutes.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Hadlock posted:

Just buy the underlying

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Hadlock posted:

SPX index options are available to retail traders right now out to Dec 2027.

If you need something further than that you're probably someone with a whole lot of money and you just directly talk to your investment banker about that. For example, Warren Buffett (link from August 2010):
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-buffett-options/buffett-gets-in-a-bind-over-options-idUSTRE6734YK20100804
"At the end of the first quarter, Berkshire had $36.76 billion at risk through these trades. For a graphic of his liabilities from the options, click on link.reuters.com/zyw33n

That is, if all four indices fell to zero at the contract expiration date, Berkshire would have to pay $36.76 billion. The options, entered between 2004 and 2008, had maturities of 15 or 20 years, Berkshire has said."

Agronox posted:

Anyone doing anything of note now that debt ceiling shenanigans are starting to come into full focus? I put on some index shorts but haven't actually sold any of my longs.

VIX at 18 feels low here.

yeah per discussion elsewhere I sold some longs at opex in order to reposition later. don't mind tuesday's action at all.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

Just buy the underlying

What if you want to bet against Google for say, spring 2033

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Hadlock posted:

What if you want to bet against Google for say, spring 2033

I believe you can short indefinitely as long as you pay the margin interest. More risky than options though.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Buffet selling mass quantities of ATM spy puts, like a complete degen. His whole company was at risk there if he sold 60 billion when they had a capitalization of 300b. I didn't know he had a position that large coming out of the great recession!

(Yes, european style, 15 years expiration. Still.)

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Leperflesh posted:

they've all cut staff, and the market loving loves it when big tech companies lay off 5% of their employees

PYPL did 7% but their stock tanked FYI

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I think that's basically a contract for differences (CFD)?

They are illegal in the US since they are super risky and pretty much sold only by very unscrupulous folks.

The crypto world also loves perpetual futures which are similarly super high risk and super sketchy.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I thought about this too, but it is stunning to me how vulnerable Google Search feels. It is impossible to find anything on it and i have to spend so much time self-filtering or garbage results because they are making no effort in providing good search.

I don't know what to be excited about wrt Google as a company and an tempted to buy some long, long puts on them.

What was the last piece of software Google either made or updated that was exciting? They have a huge portfolio of software that people use, but I'm not sure anyone is really attached to any of their stuff, except passively by circumstance. I will say that some of their modern software does solve complex infrastructural problems, but they have lost all touch with what it means to actually use that software that I think they are asking for slow if steady migration away from their platforms if/when other people enter the market.

Google's business plan 15 years ago was, 'make good software'' and that works very well if you actually execute on that plan, but those days are long gone. If you are going to make garbage software, then you should make it really hard to move away from your garbage - Apple has figured this out long ago and I don't know if Google is in a position to lock people onto their platform without causing more business harm then good.

Baddog posted:

Meta still seems to be floundering around, maybe just not quite as much. apple continues to crush. google's search engine *sucks* right now (relatively), just swamped with bullshit. They actually seem somewhat vulnerable to me, for the first time in forever. Amazon, I dunno. I still think their cloud solution is better, but their innovation seems to be slowing? But they are still (deservedly) way off their highs.

It really crept up on me like, I'd occasionally read some whining about Google Search had gotten worse and I'd be like "yea yea" but you know what, it really has gotten worse. It just feels like a sludge of ads and irrelevant hits these days.

And same side of the coin, if you search for anything on amazon it's again searching through a sludge of scammy looking knockoff stuff straight from alibaba.

I bailed out of my Amazon holdings, cancelled Prime and barely use the site these days.

Earlier on I kind of thought that Google was becoming this impenetrable sort of new cash cow value type stock but yea they do seem vulnerable these days. The product isn't good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I saw some talk of Samsung switichng to Bing as default on the Galaxy. That would be a massive shift, but I haven't seen anything about it since the GPT hype was highest a coupla months ago

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

I saw some talk of Samsung switichng to Bing as default on the Galaxy. That would be a massive shift, but I haven't seen anything about it since the GPT hype was highest a coupla months ago

https://arstechnica.com/google/2023/05/samsung-backs-down-from-its-threat-to-switch-its-android-phones-to-bing/

It was just a negotiation tactic.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How do I short the entire Filipino/Phillipines call center industry

In the last month I've had recruiters from four different companies who are going to actually automate the call center industry using AI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Hadlock posted:

In the last month I've had recruiters from four different companies who are going to actually automate the call center industry using AI

someone somewhere is making the horny version of this and is going to make a lot of money