Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I ran into what seems like a mistake in the birdhouse set: if you build the baby bird in the shell according to directions, the eggshell half has a stud so it doesn't stand on a stud. The antistud is on the other egg half, but you also can't build the baby bird in that half. So I have a baby bird in a half shell sorta laying in the nest, with a full egg standing at attention next to it.

I can't quite tell, is it intended to sit on one of these guys? That's the only thing I can think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://twitter.com/lego_group/status/1659921965296017410

Pac-Man official reveal coming next week

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Looks like it because in the picture the whole egg is also upside down.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I can't quite tell, is it intended to sit on one of these guys? That's the only thing I can think.

I looked up the online instructions, and that is exactly what is supposed to happen to flip the egg stud connection upside down.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yuppp, I missed it. Went back and looked with new eyes. Thanks!

Building with a six year old can be distracting

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 20, 2023

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Let ye who has not missed a step and then gone back and been like, 'Wait what the gently caress,' cast the first stud.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I’m enjoying building the UCS X Wing so far. The difference in design philosophy between the wing mechanism from the last one is huge. I also like how the fuselage paneling all comes together, although as reviewers have pointed out the nose and canopy are kind of letdowns. Stopping with just the fuselage complete for now to go eat some pizza.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Finished up the Executor. Great build and finished product. They mention in the instructions that this is a new type of model after the success of the Nebulon B, so hopefully we'll be seeing more at this scale; it's a nice balance between big enough to have a good amount of detail without the size or cost of a UCS.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dogen posted:

I’m enjoying building the UCS X Wing so far. The difference in design philosophy between the wing mechanism from the last one is huge. I also like how the fuselage paneling all comes together, although as reviewers have pointed out the nose and canopy are kind of letdowns. Stopping with just the fuselage complete for now to go eat some pizza.

The wings are kind of a slog because they’re pretty much identical but they go quick. It looks great built though, although I’m concerned about long term stress on the wing connectors; there’s a lot of weight on a single Technic beam for each wing.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Think LEGO messed up cause my Executor is missing ALOT of pieces

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

a sexual elk posted:

Think LEGO messed up cause my Executor is missing ALOT of pieces

drat, how did they fit the Vader / bounty hunter studs in there

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The Endor chase slaps and the pictures do it zero justice. It’s way more plastic and „big“ in real life. Still not convinced it’s worth 80€ but for 50€ it’s a steal. It’s like turning a still frame from a movie around in your hand in 3D and we spent quite some time just looking at it from different angles. Dig the hatchets for the rear flaps :v:

Buddy built the BD-1 which is also a cool set and very poseable.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The wings are kind of a slog because they’re pretty much identical but they go quick. It looks great built though, although I’m concerned about long term stress on the wing connectors; there’s a lot of weight on a single Technic beam for each wing.

Yeah the old one had like 2-3 beams stuck together with axles in the wing roots, but we will see I guess. The intakes are a little fragile and the wing system works faster but is not as smooth as the old worm gear system.

Overall it’s an improvement, probably my biggest disappointment is not having the correctly shaped cockpit still- but most of the details and also the overall shaping are better.

Also the stand sucks in different ways, but the stands on both suck.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sunk Dunk posted:

holy poo poo that's awesome, nice work

e: do you sell instructions for these at all?

Assuming they just missed this, but they do indeed.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Sunk Dunk posted:

holy poo poo that's awesome, nice work

e: do you sell instructions for these at all?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Assuming they just missed this, but they do indeed.
Yeah I am very bad at keeping my RB up to date (because it is a lot of work and I already work 2 jobs and blah blah, excuses) but many/most of them are there.

SithDrummer posted:

Nice! That looks familiar. Did you happen to have a table at Brickfest Dallas this year?
Yeah, that photo was actually taken during setup at that very show!

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Carbohydrates posted:

Good deal! Your spread was eye-catching and memorable; one of the highlights of the show.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah I am very bad at keeping my RB up to date (because it is a lot of work and I already work 2 jobs and blah blah, excuses) but many/most of them are there.

nice, if you remember, ping me when that tyrellp34 goes up, i like that build!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Carbs, I gotta wonder, you ever try any old Datsuns? I feel like that Toyota back end has to be a good start for a bunch of the old 60's dats.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wonder if anyone ITT has built a Stalin 1200 Kombi. Should be easy. Might be a Summer car project.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I'm going to brickworld chicago next month with the family - I've never been to one of these events. What should we expect? We'll have a 7 year old with us, I want to manage expectations

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I've never been but I imagine it will be a lot of pleading and begging to buy different sets and bricks and blocks and crying when the answer is no. But I have no idea what it's going to be like for your child

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Flyinglemur posted:

I've never been but I imagine it will be a lot of pleading and begging to buy different sets and bricks and blocks and crying when the answer is no. But I have no idea what it's going to be like for your child

Yeah I guess I'm expecting a ton of MOCs to admire, then some play areas, and finally an area where people are trying to sell their own MOCs/minifigs/real sets and I should try my best to avoid that area. No clue though

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Buckle up, r/legodeal, we're taking this post political:

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Habibi posted:

Buckle up, r/legodeal, we're taking this post political:

HMMMMMMM.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

All cops are… bricks??

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

I'm going to brickworld chicago next month with the family - I've never been to one of these events. What should we expect? We'll have a 7 year old with us, I want to manage expectations

It's a huge convention hall full of tables with lego nerds babysitting their pet projects while people gawk at them. The train section will be way too big and the great ball contraption will be a lot of fun to watch.

The rest of the hall will be a smattering of other stuff and vendors will probably be lines against the walls. The food will be poo poo.

(That's how it was the few times I went to brickworld, without much variation)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pac-man set looks okay. I think pac-fans will really like it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/pac-man-arcade-10323
Gufawh

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Video
https://twitter.com/lego_group/status/1660559964748886016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think it's really cool, but drat that must be a lot of stickers

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I sent it to my dad, who claims to have worked on the original (American port of) Pacman.
He also alleges:
Clyde is the dumb ghost because of him. He says he personally deleted the line of code to make Clyde chase you. (So his movements are, always, random)
The ability to move from one side of the screen to the other is his fault too. (By offsetting the display it was wrapping-around, and someone saw it and said it was cool so they made it intentional)

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

xzzy posted:

It's a huge convention hall full of tables with lego nerds babysitting their pet projects while people gawk at them. The train section will be way too big and the great ball contraption will be a lot of fun to watch.

The rest of the hall will be a smattering of other stuff and vendors will probably be lines against the walls. The food will be poo poo.

(That's how it was the few times I went to brickworld, without much variation)

Yeah, I'm on the fence about going with my 4 year old. I think he might get frustrated that he can't touch everything. The food is definitely bottom tier even for a convention center type place.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I'm really getting tired of being a downer on these big sets. I want to be excited about them (and I am about some, like Ninjago City Markets) but man. LEGO Try Not To Build A Super Expensive Plastic Box Challenge (Impossible).

Uh, the chain driven mechanism is probably the best idea they could have come up with for a set like this, but I see it getting old way faster than the Mario TV, which I liked a lot more as a concept. The way the maze is designed with the blue-edge-printed tiles is cool, but not at all convincing. It looks very wrong to me. This is where it feels the most concessions have been made in favor of a sturdy track the chain mechanism can maneuver through, and I'm not sure it was worth it, since it's the visual focal point of the whole model. The little vignette is cool and appropriate and consistent with the other sets in this sort of subtheme, but the standalone Pac-Man and ghosts sculpture thing feels superfluous and looks to take up kind of a LOT of pieces, honestly. I would have been far happier with a $20 or $30 price reduction rather than this weird, out-of-scale, largely unrelated side model.

I'm also disappointed to see a very premium adult-oriented set with a PPP worse than 10c that is also still covered in stickers. I am glad, and appreciate, that the important stuff and small parts are prints, but I still hate seeing a bigass super expensive "premium" set still come with an equally bigass sticker sheet.

On the other hand, the light-up coin slot fuckin' owns.

Verdict: not for me, and much like the Atari, simply not as good as the NES set that came before. Interesting to see a sub-series of models that, in my opinion, continually fails to improve on the very first one in said series.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RatHat posted:

I think it's really cool, but drat that must be a lot of stickers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNmFocIWzz8&t=21s

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I want the little minifigure arcade machine. The big one looks like a $30 atgames machine, except those actually play Pac-Man.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I like it more than the Atari... at least it has a mechanism. The seemingly insane amount of stickers is pretty lame. The minifig build would be an instabuy for me if it was sold by itself.

Room, meet the Elephant.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

BaconCopter posted:

I like it more than the Atari... at least it has a mechanism. The seemingly insane amount of stickers is pretty lame. The minifig build would be an instabuy for me if it was sold by itself.

Room, meet the Elephant.

Nah, see, I don't like these comparisons personally. Yeah, it costs more, because it's not a Pac-Man cabinet, it's a LEGO set. It's not competing with Pac-Man cabinets unless your interest in the real deal is purely as a display thing, and if you have no particular attachment or fondness for LEGO then yeah, choose the cheaper one.

Same thing with comparing the globe to real globes. You're not buying it as an informational learning tool, but as a model to build and display. Same again with the typewriter, the NES, on and on. They're LEGO sets first and foremost, so the only value comparison that's really worth making is against other LEGO sets, or against other building block sets by other companies if you're down to mingle.

The most meaningless of these comparisons happened with the Adidas shoe came out. You can't possibly think that price comparisons between a downscaled $70 LEGO replica of a pop culture object and an actual pair of shoes make any sense at all.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Money is the great equalizer through which all things become apples to apples. This weekend I bought a barely used longboard for $100 therefore $250 for a Lego set is bad value. I mean, I'm kind of joking, but also money doesn't grow on trees so adults (who are the only ones who could afford this) are weighing its value against every other thing they could have similar fun with. Cool set though, but for that kind of money Pac Man would have to be my favorite arcade game ever which it ain't.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

On the other hand, in comparison to an actual historic three-storey city building, the city Modulars are fantastic value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Tenebrais posted:

On the other hand, in comparison to an actual historic three-storey city building, the city Modulars are fantastic value

Same for most spaceships