Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Has Imu spoken before now? Wondering if we can narrow down the gender by way of anime VA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

luchadornado posted:

Speaking of swords, does Zoro get any new swords, or does he keep the three he currently has? Does one or more of them become a black blade and rank up?

I'm willing to bet he keeps them, and Wado becomes a supreme grade first, and then eventually the other two become black blades after defeating Mihawk.

So many people thought he was gonna swap out his sandai kitetsu for the nidai kitetsu since it's the literal next upgrade and got introduced at the start of the wano arc, but lol nope. Maybe he will get the shodai kitetsu in the future (which would be his first Supreme grade sword, both Enma and Wado Ichimonji are Great Grade Swords).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

hatty posted:

Has Imu spoken before now? Wondering if we can narrow down the gender by way of anime VA

No, this is their first spoken line

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

U-DO Burger posted:

I got the impression that the 19 swords thing wasn't a secret, more like a historical curiosity. Is it really a big scandal for the Nefeltaris to be revealed to the world to be a clan of dipshits who chose a lesser life (from the Celestial Dragons' perspective)?

The Elders seem much more concerned about Cobra questioning the official story of Lily's whereabouts after the founding of the Word Government.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. I got the impression it's open knowledge, at least among the WG and the other royalty of the world, that they were a founding family that then returned home instead of remaining as a CD.

In contrast, Doflamingo's family attempting to step down as CDs seemed to be more of a scandal, and something they wanted to keep quiet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Julias posted:

No, this is their first spoken line

And it’ll probably be next year before the anime even reaches this point

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Didn't Imu talk about Lulusia never existing when they obliterated it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Didn't Imu talk about Lulusia never existing when they obliterated it?

Nope, that was the Elder Stars. This was Imu’s first spoken line

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 22, 2023

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I do at least respect the shady as hell World Government folks and the original 19 who took charge being like "Sure, we ~could~ just grab a sword, add it in front of the throne, and revise history/the narrative a bit, but let's not do that."

It makes me wonder if there's more at work to all that than just the symbolism of it all, like would something bad actually happen to them if they tried to fake that? When they've got secrets that are worth blowing up places to keep, it seems like this was a secret that could've been covered up with minimal effort.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also, do even the other Celestial Dragons know about Imu or just the 5 at the top (I assume Doffy found out though and that’s at least part of the leverage he had over the WG)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 22, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Imu is Kuina

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

hatty posted:

Yeah good luck with that. Chopper, Luffy and Yamato are all voiced by women.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I get the feeling that we might know at least that much by the time the anime gets to this

if they don't just cut away

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the flashback is currently what sabo learned, so it'd be kind of weird for oda to cut away now considering like the whole point is to clear up what the gently caress happened with cobra

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Waffleman_ posted:

I get the feeling that we might know at least that much by the time the anime gets to this

if they don't just cut away
We've been fed too much info, time to go back to Egghead island for the next 40-100 chapters

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sabo could be interrupted as he's telling Dragon!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Through Enma and others we've seen that swords can have personalities and/or wills. The placing of the 19 swords at the foot of the throne wasn't a symbolic gesture, it was a way to literally combine the manifestation of the might of many kingdoms, through their swords, into one figure: Imu.

With all 20 kingdoms participating, it would have created a figure powerful enough to forever enslave everyone on the planet, a "god" similar to that of Nika, but not built out of the hope for freedom, but the fear of enslavement. Lili's choice to not participate in this plan left the world just free enough to exist as it does now.

Also, maybe Lili's and Vivi's names point to other concepts. (Liberation? Victory?)

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
The 20th sword was stabbed into Whitebeard to power him up.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Super Rad posted:

The 20th sword was stabbed into Whitebeard to power him up.

This adds up, how did Squardo get the sword though? Unless he's Vivi's secret brother?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Sabo: and then Imu said "the d of"--
Dragon: hollup, next page is about kuma LFG

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Also, do even the other Celestial Dragons know about Imu or just the 5 at the top (I assume Doffy found out though and that’s at least part of the leverage he had over the WG)

I imagine the Five Elders are the only ones in the know, but that could be wrong.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Five Elders were the only people in the world who knew of Imu's existence.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MorningMoon posted:

Sabo: and then Imu said "the d of"--
Dragon: hollup, next page is about kuma LFG

If papa bear gets his mind back and we get good bio-dad #3 hugging his daughter? Worth it.

Man, are there any good dads for their sons? Seems like it's all daughters with good bio-dads.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Gyges posted:

Man, are there any good dads for their sons? Seems like it's all daughters with good bio-dads.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kohza's dad was alright.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

im is the world government klabautermann

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

They definitely don’t know. The Celestial Dragons are the main people the Empty Throne thing is meant to deceive; the idea is that the 20 families are supposed to share power with each other.

That’s a weird irony, come to think of it. Imu being publicly revealed might cause some conflict among the Celestial Dragons. Anti-Imu CDs would still be enemies of the Revolutionaries and anyone else who doesn’t like tyranny, of course, but they might still cause problems for Imu.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 22, 2023

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

They definitely don’t know. The Celestial Dragons are the main people the Empty Throne thing is meant to deceive; the idea is that the 20 families are supposed to share power with each other.

That’s a weird irony, come to think of it. Imu being publicly revealed might cause some conflict among the Celestial Dragons. Anti-Imu CDs would still be enemies of the Revolutionaries and anyone else who doesn’t like tyranny, of course, but they might still cause problems for Imu.

The entire setup seems tailor-made to kill any ambition among the Celestial Dragons. Nothing to aspire to, nothing that ever needs to be worked for, not even any reason to be able to defend oneself competently.

My theory - And THAT’s why we’ve never seen them use devil fruits for themselves when they clearly have the means to obtain them - because in this setting, power derives from dreams, and theirs are purposefully stunted. And that’s also why Mjosgard is the only “normal” Celestial Dragon we’ve seen to use a melee weapon - because Otohime gave him a dream, and that gave him the literal strength to act for himself.

Corollary - guns are morally wrong in-setting and Lucky Roux using one is deep foreshadowing that the Red Hair pirates are villains. Garp is moral because he throws his cannonballs. Usopp no longer using the cannon is an act of character development. Lasers, obviously, do not count - or else Franky is a secret traitor.

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 22, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

CommunityEdition posted:

My theory - And THAT’s why we’ve never seen them use devil fruits for themselves when they clearly have the means to obtain them - because in this setting, power derives from dreams, and theirs are purposefully stunted. And that’s also why Mjosgard is the only “normal” Celestial Dragon we’ve seen to use a melee weapon - because Otohime gave him a dream, and that gave him the literal strength to act for himself.
That makes sense to me. See also Doflamingo who seemed exceptionally powerfully since he was driven by a desire for revenge.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Imu is lily, crocodile, and luffy's mom

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

As I said, I suspect Doffy might know something at least (which would explain why he had so much more sway over the government than the other warlords despite his family abandoning the Celestial Dragons and why he’s currently locked up deep within Mariejois)

Sort of makes me curious why Imu decided to reveal themselves to Cobra prior to killing him but I assume that’ll be answered next chapter if we don’t cut away

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 22, 2023

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

imu bored

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CommunityEdition posted:

Corollary - guns are morally wrong in-setting and Lucky Roux using one is deep foreshadowing that the Red Hair pirates are villains. Garp is moral because he throws his cannonballs. Usopp no longer using the cannon is an act of character development. Lasers, obviously, do not count - or else Franky is a secret traitor.

What about Izo and Bellemere? And there are a lot of minor Skypeia and Water 7 characters who use guns and clearly aren't meant to be bad guys.

Characters who carry guns everywhere but have no particular skill in using them are almost always evil, though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Larryb posted:

As I said, I suspect Doffy might know something at least (which would explain why he had so much more sway over the government than the other warlords despite his family abandoning the Celestial Dragons and why he’s currently locked up deep within Mariejois)

Sort of makes me curious why Imu decided to reveal themselves to Cobra prior to killing him but I assume that’ll be answered next chapter if we don’t cut away

Lily is obviously personally significant to Imu somehow.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

CommunityEdition posted:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Lily is obviously personally significant to Imu somehow.

True, by either literally being them or being someone who was close to them (I personally like the theory that Lily was the original holder of the Op-Op fruit and performed the immortality operation on Imu)

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Do you think Lily had a cool pet duck too. I hope she did and I hope we get to see it in the flashback.

I hope Karoo is reunited with Vivi soon.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Exactly!

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Did I miss something? How does he know about what happened in the throne room? Does Dragon know about Imu? Otherwise wouldn’t they all be freaking out?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ManSedan posted:

Did I miss something? How does he know about what happened in the throne room? Does Dragon know about Imu? Otherwise wouldn’t they all be freaking out?

viola is at reverie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ManSedan posted:

I'm not sure what you're referring to but Dragon was on the call with Sabo where he said the thone wasn't empty just before they got cut off. Sabo is now in the middle of telling the entire story (tho I can't remember what Dragon has been saying, but so far I don't think anyone "knows" about Imu but the story is explicitly about what Sabo saw that day, but at the very least the whole "there's someone who sits on the empty throne" at least is not brand new information)