Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Carbohydrates posted:

Nah, see, I don't like these comparisons personally. Yeah, it costs more, because it's not a Pac-Man cabinet, it's a LEGO set. It's not competing with Pac-Man cabinets unless your interest in the real deal is purely as a display thing, and if you have no particular attachment or fondness for LEGO then yeah, choose the cheaper one.

Same thing with comparing the globe to real globes. You're not buying it as an informational learning tool, but as a model to build and display. Same again with the typewriter, the NES, on and on. They're LEGO sets first and foremost, so the only value comparison that's really worth making is against other LEGO sets, or against other building block sets by other companies if you're down to mingle.

The most meaningless of these comparisons happened with the Adidas shoe came out. You can't possibly think that price comparisons between a downscaled $70 LEGO replica of a pop culture object and an actual pair of shoes make any sense at all.

And miss out on the obligatory Carbs effort post? Yeah right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
gently caress-man.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

BaconCopter posted:

And miss out on the obligatory Carbs effort post? Yeah right.
Bamboozled once again!

Anyway, built my Land Rover Defender 90. I kinda love it. Definitely gonna post it next to the official one when I get it.

I also recolored one of my very first models, the 1970 Camaro, from black to orange. The reason for this is because there are way too many black Speed Champions cars - official sets and MOCs both, since many classic movie cars happen to be black. This was done for pure variety to make my display at shows more colorful. Since it's my favorite real-world car, I decided to build it in my favorite color for that car, which did require a slight redesign for parts availability. I also stuck my sig fig in it, because I finally made myself a sig fig as well.

So if this is the one I'll be taking to shows now, what happens to the original? Well, I never sell my originals, but I think I'll make an exception for this one. Since it was my first really successful model, the first one that got picked up by Brothers-Brick, and the one that kind of put me on the map as it were, it feels a bit sentimental and important. I think the right move is to provide it to Creations For Charity at the end of the year to raise some money for kids in need. Look out for that if you wanna support a good cause - I'll post again about it when the time draws near.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Bamboozled once again!

Anyway, built my Land Rover Defender 90. I kinda love it. Definitely gonna post it next to the official one when I get it.

Sick

Carbohydrates posted:

I also stuck my sig fig in it, because I finally made myself a sig fig as well.

You like Zmziess? Can you even name 5 of their songs?!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I bought two off-brand not-Lego sets off of eBay, I think they’re arriving today or tomorrow. They’re both Spinner vehicles from Blade Runner and I’m pretty excited.

One is Ryan Gosling’s spinner from Blade Runner 2049:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3545552681...emis&media=COPY

The other is the classic police spinner from the first movie:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3545983881...emis&media=COPY

I think the renders look pretty slick, I dunno how well they scale with each other though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There are rumors or a 2x vip in June. Will the new stuff be available still? Who knows. Also a few GWP which seem to be confirmed. Before the 2x of course.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah the houses of the world GWP is coming after the 2x VIP

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-onlineshop-aktionen-juni-2023/

I’ll probably snag the batcave during 2x VIP unless they do a cool GWP for launch but that seems very unlikely given they haven’t announced anything yet have they?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah. I'm debating whether $18.50 is worth gambling that the Ninjago set will still be available after a week. Especially when there is a cute GWP that is there at the start of the month but not during double VIP. That set is probably worth $15. So it's like a $3.50 difference to gamble.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Well I guess I’m safe because everyone hates the batcave :dadjoke: it’ll come down to like 40€ off in points so it’s not much of a debate

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I did not know about the Houses of the World so I had to go find one of the first ones to order so I can justify getting the rest of them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish they sold the minifigure scale Pac-Man cabinet set for like $10. Big one looks good but…much like the Atari and NES im just like “what do I need that for?”

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

mutata posted:

I did not know about the Houses of the World so I had to go find one of the first ones to order so I can justify getting the rest of them.

I knew about it and thought the first one looked garbo so I skipped it and am glad I no longer feel obligated to spend $250 each time one of them pop up.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm OK with spending ~$30-$50 on ebay every time they pop up, though. They're neat and their interiors are pretty detailed for a little pack in model.

veni veni veni posted:

I wish they sold the minifigure scale Pac-Man cabinet set for like $10. Big one looks good but…much like the Atari and NES im just like “what do I need that for?”

I bet these would be almost reasonable to order pieces for and make whatever cabs you actually want, though!

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

new lego game kinda fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rX_Aon8H7c

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looks like Houses of the World 2 (40590) is coming back June 20th-28th, $250, same as last time. Wonder why these Houses of the Worlds keep coming back.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

obi_ant posted:

Looks like Houses of the World 2 (40590) is coming back June 20th-28th, $250, same as last time. Wonder why these Houses of the Worlds keep coming back.

There are going to be 4. And HoW2, afaik, is coming out for the first time. HoW1 I think got a 2nd release.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Doesnt seem very realistic

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
We've been getting a bunch of repeat high-threshold GWPs recently in Australia. Hopefully Lego takes it as a sign.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I just want a LEGO VHS tape, can I legitimately justify buying this entire set just for the tape?

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/villain-icons-43227

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I just want a LEGO VHS tape, can I legitimately justify buying this entire set just for the tape?

Can't you just find the instructions for it online and order any parts you're missing

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I didnt know this was real. Wow.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I love the power levels in Disney sometimes, like here you have:

Sorcerous evil queen
Sorcerous evil djinn/vizier
Sorcerous evil fairy godmother
A large self-important guy

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
There was a really incredible article on BrickLink Studio lighting on BrickNerd yesterday:

https://bricknerd.com/home/hacking-studio-how-to-get-better-lighting-in-bricklink-studio-renders-5-22-23

I highly recommend it for anyone even casually rendering stuff in Studio. I had no idea you could hack custom HDR files into the program (in a clunky way).

Here's an image made with the standard built-in lighting (Building at 1.1 intensity):

And here's that image re-made with imported HDRI:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Oh that's really useful, thanks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I feel like the HDR photos look much more immediately like renders. Not bad, just less realistic. Sort of reminds me of a Lego video game, while the standard lighting could almost pass as real until you start looking closely.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh I feel like the HDR photos look much more immediately like renders. Not bad, just less realistic. Sort of reminds me of a Lego video game, while the standard lighting could almost pass as real until you start looking closely.
I don't disagree, but I'm not trying to make them look like photos, just like nicer renders.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Is there any accurate way to tell if a set is selling poorly and therefore likely to go on sale?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not really. The best sure thing is that most of the time sets will get reduced by around 30% towards the end of their lifespan if they are sold at major retailers. Walmart usually has the best deals. Random really good sales tend to get posted itt. If a set is selling poorly it usually just tends to retire earlier but it's the sam rule of thumb. If you are willing to wait you can get most sets for around 30% off at some point.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Hmm dang, I’ve been waiting to grab the Porsche 911 and the mclaren f1 but maybe I’ll just do double vip

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

People on bricklink tryin' to sell Watto for $500, bless their hearts...

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There are sellers on BL that inflate everything to ridiculous levels. I think their goal is to have people buy crap on auto-buy without actually seeing what the prices are. It's scummy.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Where's the music from, please?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Markets looks awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5vSp6HleeU

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

Where's the music from, please?

Robocop for Game Boy

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

solarNativity posted:

Robocop for Game Boy

And later used in an Ariston commercial

https://youtu.be/YUVs7vXNZiw

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

solarNativity posted:

Robocop for Game Boy

Excellent, thanks! :tipshat:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Looks rad.

:lol: at the missing goat poster.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That is one well built toilet, my god

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I can’t wait until I have a kid and can buy all of these sets under the guise it’s for children and not a giant man baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Coward.