Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

anime was right posted:

viola is at reverie
Her fruit is pretty wild when you think about it. If the World Government knows about it they should really be doing everything possible to arrest her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm not sure what you're referring to but Dragon was on the call with Sabo where he said the thone wasn't empty just before they got cut off. Sabo is now in the middle of telling the entire story (tho I can't remember what Dragon has been saying, but so far I don't think anyone "knows" about Imu but the story is explicitly about what Sabo saw that day, but at the very least the whole "there's someone who sits on the empty throne" at least is not brand new information)
I think the confusion is that this very important scene is not from Sabo's perspective, Sabo doesn't appear to be here, and ManSedan is wondering how Sabo learned about it.

That's a reasonable question and I'm assuming Sabo will talk to Cobra right before Cobra dies, so Sabo can learn about all this.

I feel like Dragon's reaction is going to be really interesting after Sabo's done explaining all this.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I feel this is all really setup to get Dragon into play after all this time

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I hope Dragon is like Luffy and gets bored and falls asleep if a story takes too long to tell

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Broad actions aside, Luffy seems way more like garp than edgelord dragon

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Luffy grew up knowing garp and hasnt met dragon so that makes some sense.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

His name is Monkey D. Dragon lol

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
dragon is just as much as a goof as his father and son are but he's gotten very little screentime and is secretive

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Eiba posted:

I think the confusion is that this very important scene is not from Sabo's perspective, Sabo doesn't appear to be here, and ManSedan is wondering how Sabo learned about it.

That's a reasonable question and I'm assuming Sabo will talk to Cobra right before Cobra dies, so Sabo can learn about all this.

I feel like Dragon's reaction is going to be really interesting after Sabo's done explaining all this.

ohhhhh right right right, i kind of figured the latter -- that Sabo walks in just after this or was eavesdropping or gets told this or whatverr -- but was confused by the Dragon mention (and for all we know we might cut back to him doing a full Enel face lol)

also so far there hasn't been any "new" info, meaning like i said, Sabo already somehow learned/saw that someone was in the Empty Throne and had said that before and is now elaborating, we dont know if there's going to be anything else significant learned after this scene of if Imu is just going to have Cobra killed on the spot or whatever

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I'm assuming the Cobra build up stuff is for the audience, like when a character has a flashback but it isn't solely from their perspective. Sabo probably isn't literally saying "and then Cobra met with the Elder Stars and said this whole speech..."

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

cobra to sabo who walked in to find him bleeding out on the floor: as you know, i came in here to speak to the five elders,

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

LanceKing2200 posted:

I'm assuming the Cobra build up stuff is for the audience, like when a character has a flashback but it isn't solely from their perspective. Sabo probably isn't literally saying "and then Cobra met with the Elder Stars and said this whole speech..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfU4akPV7o4

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

LanceKing2200 posted:

He is actually cause Sabo is Imu

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Imu is Luffy's 3rd brother.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's also possible Sabo managed to get the letter off Cobra, all the new information Cobra's provided so far came from there.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ubiquitus posted:

Broad actions aside, Luffy seems way more like garp than edgelord dragon

I thought it was a nice touch that Luffy's personality is similar to Roger's and Ace's is similar to Dragon's, not the other way around. One Piece characters don't necessarily have personalities much like those of their biological parents, in general; no "Naruto inherited his verbal tic from the mother he never met" here. This sits somewhat uneasily with the various hereditary monarchies we're supposed to see as basically good, though of course that's a pretty long-term problem; we know Vivi will be a good leader now that Cobra is dead, and the question of what Vivi's own child will be like as a ruler isn't likely to arise anytime soon in a world where "heroic" people can live to be 140.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Was Ace really similar to dragon? Dragon doesnt seem like the die pointlessly for honor type.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

No Wave posted:

Was Ace really similar to dragon? Dragon doesnt seem like the die pointlessly for honor type.

Not that similar, but they have a sort of comparable brooding vibe.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

That was just Ace's emo phase in prison, he was plenty cocky and easygoing before that

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Silver2195 posted:

I thought it was a nice touch that Luffy's personality is similar to Roger's and Ace's is similar to Dragon's, not the other way around.

Some people read too far into this and have fan theories that Luffy and Ace were accidentally switched as children - a theory I generally try to debunk by posting pictures of young Garp.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like you could probably tell two children apart when one is three years older

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

LanceKing2200 posted:

It'll make way more sense when Ryuichi Cosgi is cast for the anime.

No Wave posted:

To be fair, nobody's called Dragon a chicken yet.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I've heard a theory that Dragon isn't actually Garp's son, but married Garp's daughter, based mostly on one line where Luffy sees a picture of Dragon and goes "Oh he doesn't really look like me" and Garp referring to Luffy as "The son of my kid" specifically but those could easily just be translation things.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Drakkel posted:

I've heard a theory that Dragon isn't actually Garp's son, but married Garp's daughter, based mostly on one line where Luffy sees a picture of Dragon and goes "Oh he doesn't really look like me" and Garp referring to Luffy as "The son of my kid" specifically but those could easily just be translation things.

I think this has been around for a while and I could get behind it. Luffy's mom has basically never been mentioned in universe

would also make sense if something happened to her which set Dragon on his current path and why Garp doesn't seem particularly interested in stopping him. I'm fairly sure we know Dragon and Garp communicate

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Garp has never explicitly referred to Dragon as his son yeah. Although I think Sengoku once called him out for having a bloodline that kept causing problems and Garp didn't correct him. Dragon does look a lot like the silhouette of Rocks so it's a tempting theory

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

So Dragon took on Garp's last name?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Probably easier to get around as a Monkey than as a Rocks

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Kild posted:

I mean that's more believable than Ace's mom's pregnancy

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

It's called Haki.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kild posted:

Well, his wife's name. It's a thing that can happen.

It's much simpler to suppose Garp instilled his sense of justice and responsibility into his son, who then saw how the Navy serving the Tenryubito went against everything Garp purported to value. One of the easiest to understand "gently caress you dad" scenarios I can think of.

This is kind of a pet peeve of mine, but if humans can cut mountains in half using their arm muscles, it seems weird to get hung up on this completely implausible and over the top superhuman feat involving pregnancy. It was presented as a badass feat. Let it be a badass feat.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

Well, his wife's name. It's a thing that can happen.

It's much simpler to suppose Garp instilled his sense of justice and responsibility into his son, who then saw how the Navy serving the Tenryubito went against everything Garp purported to value. One of the easiest to understand "gently caress you dad" scenarios I can think of.

This is kind of a pet peeve of mine, but if humans can cut mountains in half using their arm muscles, it seems weird to get hung up on this completely implausible and over the top superhuman feat involving pregnancy. It was presented as a badass feat. Let it be a badass feat.

I'm not particularly hung up on it. I honestly think it's funny but my point of comparison is that it's easier to change your name than perform a super human feat

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm not particularly hung up on it. I honestly think it's funny but my point of comparison is that it's easier to change your name than perform a super human feat
Fair enough. It's usually a thing I see people just casually joke about and I don't imagine there's usually any strong feelings involved. I'll admit to being the one hung up on the subject.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

Fair enough. It's usually a thing I see people just casually joke about and I don't imagine there's usually any strong feelings involved. I'll admit to being the one hung up on the subject.

nah you're good fam. I honestly didn't even know people actually disliked it. then again I'm the dummy for forgetting this is the internet and there's always someone out there who hates a thing

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Eiba posted:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This is a break week unfortunately

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Honestly I could see Dragon's backstory be that he was a Marine as a kid/teen under Garp's tutelage, but when he found out about how the WG is structured/how the Marines are basically a private army for the 1%, he decided to fight back against that system from the outside.

Knowing what we know about Garp, he may not have even objected.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think that if dragon was ever a marine, there would be records of him. i mean, his face is plastered up everywhere so he couldn't have joined under a pseudonym. someone in the marines would have recognized him. besides, why should dragon need to have been a marine to be radicalized? he's got the same reason as sabo. they're both from Society Is Rotten Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think that if dragon was ever a marine, there would be records of him. i mean, his face is plastered up everywhere so he couldn't have joined under a pseudonym. someone in the marines would have recognized him. besides, why should dragon need to have been a marine to be radicalized? he's got the same reason as sabo. they're both from Society Is Rotten Island.

this is one piece basically everyone has a tragic backstory