Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm sure it was happening before 2005. I'm just saying that tens of thousands of people were asking Epstein for money in 1993 and it was not publicly known until 2005. So, I don't think every hospital, charity, synagogue, politician, etc. who was coming to him for donations in 1993 were doing it because they were pedophiles.

Sure but I don't think many hospitals, charities, or synagogues were approaching him about sex slaves before or after 2005. I would be willing to bet, despite lack of verifiable evidence, that plenty of politicians and other famous or non-famous rich people were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
the Epstein Sex Trafficking Ring Defender has logged on

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Failed Imagineer posted:

the Epstein Sex Trafficking Ring Defender has logged on

Maybe they're super into Chris Tucker.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
More documents stuff:

quote:

Donald Trump's lawyer told the former president he could not hold onto classified materials after he was ordered to hand them over, and federal prosecutors have proof.

Attorney Evan Corcoran found about 40 classified documents in the storage room at Mar-a-Lago last June but told the Justice Department that no further materials were at the private residence, which later was shown to be false after the FBI returned in August with a warrant and seized 101 classified documents, reported The Guardian.

Corcoran preserved that warning in his contemporaneous notes, which prosecutors showed to a grand jury after an appeals court allowed attorney-client privilege to be pierced because they found Trump might have used his attorney's advice to commit a crime.

Prosecutors have zeroed in on Trump valet Walt Nauta, who told investigators the former president told him to move boxes from the storage room before and after the subpoena was issued for the documents' return, and surveillance video shows him doing just that, although there are some gaps in the footage.

The notes show that Corcoran told the valet about the subpoena before he started looking for the classified documents because the attorney needed him to unlock the storage room, and they also show that Nauta offered to help him look through the boxes.

Corcoran declined and told the valet to remain outside the storage room, but his search lasted several days -- much longer than expected.

The notes also suggest the storage room might have been left unattended for some periods while the search was conducted while Corcoran took breaks to walk to the nearby pool area.

Corcoran described Trump's facial expressions and other reactions when they discussed the subpoena, and Trump reportedly was irritated by the high level of detail in his attorney's notes, which he only learned about after they were subpoenaed by prosecutors.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Professor Beetus posted:

Sure but I don't think many hospitals, charities, or synagogues were approaching him about sex slaves before or after 2005. I would be willing to bet, despite lack of verifiable evidence, that plenty of politicians and other famous or non-famous rich people were.

Right. I agree.

I'm just saying that in 1993 lots of people were asking him for money and he didn't get "private island rich" until his hedge fund launched in the early 2000's. I don't think the vast majority of people asking him for money in 1993 were pedophiles and were asking him because he was a famous person who donated a lot of money to charities, schools, and politicians.

"Went to the same fundraiser in 1993" probably isn't enough evidence to confirm that someone is a pedophile.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Right. I agree.

I'm just saying that in 1993 lots of people were asking him for money and he didn't get "private island rich" until his hedge fund launched in the early 2000's. I don't think the vast majority of people asking him for money in 1993 were pedophiles and were asking him because he was a famous person who donated a lot of money to charities, schools, and politicians.

"Went to the same fundraiser in 1993" probably isn't enough evidence to confirm that someone is a pedophile.

The initial post that kicked this off was about Bill Clinton though.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Right. I agree.

Are you aware that you are defending someone from being accused of being a pedophile because of their relationship with Epstein who doesn't exist? You've decided to white knight some hypothetical 'random acquaintance' who met him at a hypothetical fundraiser for some reason.

Like, why? Just stop.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

No, let them keep digging. I want to see how far down they can go.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Murgos posted:

Are you aware that you are defending someone from being accused of being a pedophile because of their relationship with Epstein who doesn't exist? You've decided to white knight some hypothetical 'random acquaintance' who met him at a hypothetical fundraiser for some reason.

Like, why? Just stop.

They were clearly talking about Bill Clinton.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Murgos posted:

Like, why? Just stop.

Everyone pretty much agrees, though. We were just talking about different factors. Someone said that asking him for money or buddying up in 1993 was proof they were a pedophile. Most people didn't know and/or he hadn't started doing it at that point, so most of the tens of thousands of people who asked for money in 1993 probably weren't doing it because they are pedophiles, but if he was active at that point, then some people probably were.

People who chose to ask him for money after 2005 are much more suspect than those who did it before it was public knowledge/started happening. Asking for money from him in 1993 isn't definitive proof that someone is a pedophile, but it is something to consider. Is there anything there you disagree with?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Murgos posted:

More documents stuff:

Cargo cult crime boss strikes again.

Looking forward to a lot of argument about how to pronounce "valet" in the future.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Take 2:

https://twitter.com/Victorshi2020/status/1660759131123494912

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Murgos posted:

More documents stuff:

quote:

Corcoran described Trump's facial expressions and other reactions when they discussed the subpoena, and Trump reportedly was irritated by the high level of detail in his attorney's notes, which he only learned about after they were subpoenaed by prosecutors.

Corcoran eat the notes. What do you mean you don't eat your notes?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Prosecutors Sought Records on Trump’s Foreign Business Deals Since 2017

quote:

Federal prosecutors overseeing the investigation into former President Donald J. Trump’s handling of classified documents have issued a subpoena for information about Mr. Trump’s business dealings in foreign countries since he took office, according to two people familiar with the matter.

It remains unclear precisely what the prosecutors were hoping to find by sending the subpoena to Mr. Trump’s company, the Trump Organization, or when it was issued. But the subpoena suggests that investigators have cast a wider net than previously understood as they scrutinize whether he broke the law in taking sensitive government materials with him upon leaving the White House and then not fully complying with demands for their return.

The subpoena — drafted by the office of the special counsel, Jack Smith — sought details on the Trump Organization’s real estate licensing and development dealings in seven countries: China, France, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates and Oman, according to the people familiar with the matter. The subpoena sought the records for deals reached since 2017, when Mr. Trump was sworn in as president.

The Trump Organization swore off any foreign deals while he was in the White House, and the only such deal Mr. Trump is known to have made since then was with a Saudi-based real estate company to license its name to a housing, hotel and golf complex that will be built in Oman. He struck that deal last fall just before announcing his third presidential campaign.

The push by Mr. Smith’s prosecutors to gain insight into the former president’s foreign business was part of a subpoena — previously reported by The New York Times — that was sent to the Trump Organization and sought records related to Mr. Trump’s dealings with a Saudi-backed golf venture known as LIV Golf, which is holding tournaments at some of his golf clubs. (Mr. Trump’s arrangement with LIV Golf was reached well after he removed documents from the White House.)

Collectively, the subpoena’s demand for records related to the golf venture and other foreign ventures since 2017 suggests that Mr. Smith is exploring whether there is any connection between Mr. Trump’s deal-making abroad and the classified documents he took with him when he left office.

It is unclear what material the Trump Organization has turned over in response to the subpoena or whether Mr. Smith has obtained any separate evidence supporting that theory. But since the start of their investigation, prosecutors have sought to understand not only what sorts of materials Mr. Trump removed from the White House, but also why he might have taken them with him.

Among the government documents discovered in Mr. Trump’s possession were some related to Middle Eastern countries, according to a person familiar with Mr. Smith’s work. And when the F.B.I. executed a search warrant in August 2022 at Mar-a-Lago, Mr. Trump’s private club and residence in Florida, among the items recovered was material related to President Emmanuel Macron of France, according to court records.

So it seems he was using the classified info to prop up his business - either selling state secrets directly, or using the information to influence foreign leaders to support his ventures.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/22/e-jean-carroll-seeks-very-substantial-damages-from-trump-over-cnn-town-hall-remarks.html

She's asking for her original $5 million to be changed to $10 million after his CNN remarks.

"E. Jean Carroll filed court papers Monday seeking “very substantial” monetary damages from Donald Trump for making scathing remarks about her at a CNN town hall a day after the former president lost a $5 million lawsuit to the writer.

Carroll now is seeking no less than $10 million from Trump in damages in her original lawsuit in light of what he said May 10 on CNN.

The move came as her lawyers asked a Manhattan federal court judge for permission to amend that first defamation lawsuit, which she lodged against Trump in 2019, to reflect his new statements on CNN about her, which they say also are defamatory.

“Trump’s defamatory statements post-verdict show the depth of his malice toward Carroll since it is hard to imagine defamatory conduct that could possibly be more motivated by hatred, ill will, or spite,” the proposed amended complaint said.

“This conduct supports a very substantial punitive damages award in Carroll’s favor both to punish Trump, to deter him from engaging in further defamation, and to deter others from doing the same,” the complaint said."

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
No one will ever convince me that Jared Kushner’s 2 billion hedge fund is legit.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Deteriorata posted:

Prosecutors Sought Records on Trump’s Foreign Business Deals Since 2017

So it seems he was using the classified info to prop up his business - either selling state secrets directly, or using the information to influence foreign leaders to support his ventures.

It's going to be really freaking weird if he's get the GOP nomination and he's under investigation or even charged with leaking/selling state secrets.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

It's going to be really freaking weird if he's get the GOP nomination and he's under investigation or even charged with leaking/selling state secrets.

I really expected that the GOP would be desperately cutting any ties to him but whelp. I guess that’d only stand a chance if everyone dropped off, and no one wants to be first.

Looks like it’s gonna be a real loving interesting year.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Republican voters seem to like him more as he stacks up allegations

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
It always seemed to me that epstein was a free market agent, working for hire, who would befriend a target, get them in a compromised position, document it, show it to them, and have two copies exist: the person that hired epstein for the hit, and epstein himself. Working for billionaires and media moguls and intelligence agencies and so on. To own senators and judges or forward a fascist plot. While indulging his sick fetish of power over young girls.

Like, isnt it obvious blackmail is all over everything? His fortune, his infamy?

I even figure it likely trump had epstein arrested, murdered, enter his kompromat master list into classified fbi doc, then snuck off with it alongside the nuclear secrets.

And i dont think I'm being dramatic

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Uglycat posted:

It always seemed to me that epstein was a free market agent, working for hire, who would befriend a target, get them in a compromised position, document it, show it to them, and have two copies exist: the person that hired epstein for the hit, and epstein himself. Working for billionaires and media moguls and intelligence agencies and so on. To own senators and judges or forward a fascist plot. While indulging his sick fetish of power over young girls.

Like, isnt it obvious blackmail is all over everything? His fortune, his infamy?

I even figure it likely trump had epstein arrested, murdered, enter his kompromat master list into classified fbi doc, then snuck off with it alongside the nuclear secrets.

Epstein's behavior is that of any pimp, exploiting the vulnerable. Conspiratorial nefariousness involving intelligence agencies is possible, but not necessary to this kind of behavior.

Bad practice to extort billionaires though, real estate guys in particular tend to be mobbed up almost by necessity.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I really don't mean to be all Doomy or whatever, but we really do seem to be past crime mattering, at least when it comes to the rich.

I mean, we were there before, but there were limits. Nixon resigned, Madoff died in prison, there was some degree of mattering. People lost faith in leaders who were proven to have committed serious crimes. But now, it just doesn't seem to matter to anyone.

"Sure, Trump did horribly illegal poo poo and very likely seriously compromised national security, but who cares? There's an R next to his name so we simply refuse to do anything about it."

And there's just no recourse. No one who can do anything about this is willing to. Sure, he lost a civil case, but all he needs to do is illegally funnel campaign funds to make it go away. We know he's done it before, and suffered zero consequences for it. Of course he'll just do it again.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 23, 2023

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Uglycat posted:

If the core of your argument involves someone in Trump's circle both making a plan and executing it successfully, I think you might be missing the mark.

If Trump had any knowledge of it whatsoever he'd be bragging every day about how he killed Epstein

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Should be a gift link so I think you can read the entire thing, but I will quote it as well:

Special Counsel Is Wrapping Up Trump Mar-a-Lago Probe
Some Trump associates anticipate an indictment—and raising funds off it

https://www.wsj.com/articles/specia...share_permalink

quote:

WASHINGTON—Special counsel Jack Smith has all but finished obtaining testimony and other evidence in his criminal investigation into whether former President Donald Trump mishandled classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago resort, according to people familiar with the matter.

Some of Trump’s close associates are bracing for his indictment and anticipate being able to fundraise off a prosecution, people in the former president’s circle said, as clashes within the Trump legal team have led to the departure of a key lawyer.

In recent weeks prosecutors working for Smith have completed interviews with nearly every employee at Trump’s Florida home, from top political aides to maids and maintenance staff, the people said. Prosecutors have pressed witnesses—some in multiple rounds of testimony—on questions that appeared to home in on specific elements Smith’s team would need to show to prove a crime, including those that speak to Trump’s intentions, and questions aimed at undermining potential defenses Trump could raise, they said.

The special counsel team conducted a flurry of grand jury interviews in recent weeks that appeared to tie up loose ends, the people said.

The Journal couldn’t determine whether Smith has decided whether to charge Trump, or if he has presented a recommendation on the matter to Attorney General Merrick Garland, who would ultimately make a final decision on any such charges. A spokesman for Smith declined to comment. A Trump spokesman didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment but has previously described the probe as a politically motivated witch hunt.

Smith’s team, which has been examining whether anyone tried to obstruct the criminal inquiry, has obtained evidence that appears to show Trump held on to sensitive documents after being asked to relinquish them, the people said. Last week the National Archives turned over to Smith’s team records of communications between then-President Trump and some of his advisers about how he could declassify documents, some of the people said, material that could help prosecutors overcome the defense that Trump believed he could do so verbally. CNN first reported the National Archives transfer.

Smith’s team is still pursuing a separate inquiry into efforts by Trump and his allies to overturn his 2020 election loss.

Any charges, if filed, would come at a politically delicate time, as Trump campaigns for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination and is the front-runner to take on President Biden, who has also announced his bid for re-election.

A separate special counsel has also been investigating how and why classified documents ended up at Biden’s home and office, after he left the vice presidency in 2017.

Earlier this year, Trump became the first former president in U.S. history to face criminal charges, after prosecutors in Manhattan charged him with 34 felony counts of falsifying business records, in connection with hush money Trump paid to a porn star to allegedly bolster his 2016 presidential campaign. Trump has pleaded not guilty and accused the Manhattan District Attorney, Alvin Bragg, a Democrat, of pursuing him for political reasons.

In a letter to lawmakers last month, lawyers for Trump compared the documents found at Trump’s home to those found at Biden’s residence and others found at former Vice President Mike Pence’s home, saying that “deficient document handling and storage procedures are not limited to any individual, administration or political party.” The lawyers called the Justice Department inquiry an example of “ham-handed criminal investigations of matters that are inherently not criminal.”

The letter, which was viewed by The Wall Street Journal, also said some of the boxes with classified material appeared to contain briefing papers related to phone calls Trump was having with foreign leaders. White House staff appear to have just swept up materials from Trump’s desk as they packed, it said.

One of the letter’s authors, Tim Parlatore, said it was part of an effort to dissuade Garland and prosecutors from pressing criminal charges. But the missive, and particularly a push by its authors to publicize it, triggered upheaval within the Trump legal team, according to people familiar with the matter.

Parlatore, who recently withdrew from representing Trump, told The Wall Street Journal he doesn’t believe charges will be brought against anyone in the Mar-a-Lago investigation. He said his departure from the legal team was prompted generally by clashes with Boris Epshteyn, a top Trump adviser who has functioned as in-house counsel for the former president, assisting with hiring lawyers and coordinating legal efforts.

“There are certain individuals that made defending the president much harder than it needed to be,” Parlatore said on CNN on Saturday.

Epshteyn declined to comment.

A Trump spokesman, Steven Cheung, said Parlatore’s “statements regarding current members of the legal team are unfounded and categorically false.”

Parlatore had pushed, during a visit with Trump, to quietly resolve the infighting and limit Epshteyn’s role in the special-counsel inquiry, people familiar with the matter said.

Among some in Trump’s circle, Epshteyn was seen as hindering communication with the former president and as having exposure in the special counsel’s criminal inquiry that could complicate his advice. He has nevertheless continued to advise Trump in a senior role, those people say.

Prosecutors in Smith’s office interviewed Epshteyn during a two-day span in late April, with a focus on efforts by Trump and his allies to overturn the results of the 2020 election, according to people familiar with the questioning.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trump Criminal Trial Scheduled for March 2024

quote:

The trial of Donald J. Trump has been scheduled for March 25, 2024, the judge presiding over his Manhattan criminal case said at a hearing on Tuesday.

Mr. Trump attended the hearing remotely, making his first courtroom appearance since 34 felony charges were unveiled against him last month. He appeared to react angrily when the trial date was announced by Justice Juan Merchan, though his microphone was muted and it was unclear what he was saying to the lawyer seated next to him, Todd Blanche.

The trial is set for three weeks after Super Tuesday, one of the most important days on the Republican presidential primary calendar. And the disclosure of the date came just a day before Mr. Trump’s chief rival for the Republican nomination, Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida, was set to announce his own run, highlighting the way that Mr. Trump’s legal entanglements could complicate his third campaign for the White House.

Mr. Trump’s appearance on Tuesday was brief, lasting about 20 minutes. Justice Merchan mentioned the restrictions that he had placed on Mr. Trump’s use of material from the case, asking Mr. Blanche whether he had reviewed those restrictions with his client. Mr. Blanche said that he had.

Prosecutors working for the district attorney, Alvin L. Bragg, asked that Mr. Trump’s access to some case material be limited and requested that Justice Merchan prohibit the former president from disseminating the prosecution’s evidence, including records of interviews with witnesses and grand jury testimony, on social media or to reporters.

Mark your calendar. :munch:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Christ, the fraudulent charges are from loving 2016. 7 years later they finally get the case to a judge and now we're on hold for another loving year?!?

Somebody explain to me how wire fraud takes 8 goddamn years to prosecute

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

I really expected that the GOP would be desperately cutting any ties to him but whelp. I guess that’d only stand a chance if everyone dropped off, and no one wants to be first.

Looks like it’s gonna be a real loving interesting year.

If the GOP could get rid of Trump without losing voters they do it. Remember, the GOP Old Guard absolutely loving despises Trump. The thing is that he's still popular with multiple active criminal investigations, a failed attempted coup and god knows what other skeletons are in the closet.

With that, the GOP are starting to distance themselves but more importantly the GOP in an official capacity is no longer supporting him with their army of political consultants. Past doners including mega donors that have donated multiple millions are likely to sit this election out especially if Trump is the nominee. That is a super big deal and one the GOP is able to largely able to hide from their base and the public.

The Bible posted:

:words:

And there's just no recourse. No one who can do anything about this is willing to. Sure, he lost a civil case, but all he needs to do is illegally funnel campaign funds to make it go away. We know he's done it before, and suffered zero consequences for it. Of course he'll just do it again.

He hasn't suffered zero consequences? I mean, it is pretty wild that he has been able to get this far but history is full of rich assholes breaking the law. As a president, much of his legislation didn't even pass. There are so many active criminal investigations, it's only a matter of time before one of them hits. At this point, he's longer in office, his party is trying to abandon him, he's losing funding and swing voters have had enough.

You can't get lucky forever...

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 23, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

If the GOP could get rid of Trump without losing voters they do it. Remember, the GOP Old Guard absolutely loving despises Trump. The thing is that he's still extremely unpopular with multiple active criminal investigations, a failed attempted coup and god knows what other skeletons are in the closet.

With that, the GOP are starting to distance themselves but more importantly the GOP in an official capacity is no longer supporting him with their army of political consultants. Past doners including mega donors that have donated multiple millions are likely to sit this election out especially if Trump is the nominee. That is a super big deal and one the GOP is able to largely able to hide from their base and the public.

He hasn't suffered zero consequences? I mean, it is pretty wild that he has been able to get this far but history is full of rich assholes breaking the law. As a president, much of his legislation didn't even pass. There are so many active criminal investigations, it's only a matter of time before one of them hits. At this point, he's longer in office, his party is trying to abandon him, he's losing funding and swing voters have had enough.

Quoting this post for when he wins the Electoral College next year.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Quoting this post for when he wins the Electoral College next year.

Don't get me wrong, he :airquote: could :airquote: but this now 2024. Not 2020. A lot has changed. He won not necessarily because he's a skillful politician but he plays a character incredibly well that appeals to a huge part of the American Psyche and fundamental shifts in American Politics such as the "Blue Wall" going red.

Do you think his chances of winning in 2024 are higher than they were in the past? If so, why?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I bet he'll end up in jail, but still win the presidency, and it'll be up to New York to decide whether they let him out or not.

Because this is the funniest timeline he'll probably be running the country from lockup.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lol I think I'll keep my calendar open and do literally anything else that day other than watch the American criminal justice system completely fail to hold a rich white man to account for the sixteen billionth time.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mutata posted:

lol I think I'll keep my calendar open and do literally anything else that day other than watch the American criminal justice system completely fail to hold a rich white man to account for the sixteen billionth time.

Please do keep us posted on all the things you intend to not do

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Christ, the fraudulent charges are from loving 2016. 7 years later they finally get the case to a judge and now we're on hold for another loving year?!?

Somebody explain to me how wire fraud takes 8 goddamn years to prosecute

Four years for his presidency, during which you don't even bother to investigate, and four years for actually building the felony case and making sure all of the necessary witnesses are reliable? It's a very atypical investigation so I imagine they double and triple checked everything to make sure it's airtight.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 23, 2023

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Grip it and rip it posted:

Please do keep us posted on all the things you intend to not do

Four years for his presidency, during which you don't even bother to investigate, and four years for actually building the felony case and making sure all of the necessary witnesses are reliable? It's a very atypical investigation so I imagine they double and triple checked everything to make sure it's airtight.

Cool, man, please definitely keep us updated with more stuff you imagine.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Don't get me wrong, he :airquote: could :airquote: but this now 2024. Not 2020. A lot has changed. He won not necessarily because he's a skillful politician but he plays a character incredibly well that appeals to a huge part of the American Psyche and fundamental shifts in American Politics such as the "Blue Wall" going red.

Do you think his chances of winning in 2024 are higher than they were in the past? If so, why?

I'd say they're roughly the same as 2016 and 2020.

Most of it has to do with his opponent and the extreme lack of enthusiasm, excitement and passion that he generates along with the lack of any genuine accomplishments he can hang his hat on. Biden is very old and noticeably suffering in the cognitive area. He doesn't inspire anybody and no one views him as that solution to much of anything. Trump's base seems to take every indictment, verdict, investigation and accusation as validation of the Deep State and something resembling a badge of honor that only proves everyone is out to nail Trump. The MAGA base is dug in, HARD, and just keep doubling down every time he fucks up or does/says something stupid. They LIKE it. There's not a LOT of them, but there's more than I'm comfortable writing off, and as we know, Trump doesn't have to win the popular vote.

Trump has an entire RWM apparatus at his disposal that has a large reach and kisses his rear end. Members of his party either have his back or refuse to speak out against him because they know their base.

They LOVE this stupid motherfucker and demonstrate a passion for him that no one on the Democratic side of the aisle can even pretend to claim. Hell, no one on the right can either. It's insane. A lot of why I think he can win is anecdotal, down to a vibe and my full and total realization that the US populace largely consists of abject morons and angry, very misinformed and heavily armed aggressive frightened people who view this man as Jesus Christ. I'm hard pressed to think of a political candidate in my lifetime that's inspired this cult like level of dedication. Especially for someone who lost. Stickers, flags, t-shirts and hats abound. Can we name another political candidate where that's true?

Biden will have to campaign somewhat this time as well and carries the weight of disapproval ratings that are almost as low as Donald's are. Hypothetical head to head polls show Biden ahead by like 3% or 5% and we've seen how an election can swing with the EC based on that spread. Joe still has some time left to gently caress up or have something terrible happen between now and then as well and seems primed for a recession to hit just in time for the campaign. I think GOP voters will turn out and that there aren't enough "moderates" to offset that.

TL/DR: Mostly because Americans are kind of dumb and a disturbing amount of them are full on and all in for fascism.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I bet he'll end up in jail, but still win the presidency, and it'll be up to New York to decide whether they let him out or not.

Because this is the funniest timeline he'll probably be running the country from lockup.

Trump is not going to go to jail

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Reminder that Saudi Arabia is still funneling money to Trump through Liv Golf by booking a bunch of his courses. He's not lost all of his foreign bank rolling (yet)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Reminder that Saudi Arabia is still funneling money to Trump through Liv Golf by booking a bunch of his courses. He's not lost all of his foreign bank rolling (yet)

Yes but if we know that, I’m assuming Jack Smith does too. Him of all the recent subpoenas.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

For illegally paying off Stormy Daniels? Check my post again, because I was specifically referring to misappropriating campaign funds.

Yeah, zero consequences. He got away with that. He was busted doing it, caught dead to rights, and prosecution just... didn't do poo poo. He'll absolutely do it again, because why wouldn't he?

And yeah, you can't get lucky forever, but this isn't luck, its naked corruption. He isn't evading charges because of a bunch of comical bungling and and technicalities. People in charge are simply refusing to act on his crimes (at least, in any fashion that could ever result in real consequences for him), and I see no reason to believe that they are suddenly going to start.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 24, 2023

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Well, if the economy truly tanks Trump will have an easier time in 2024 than in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, it's really all going to depend on the economy. The 2022 Mid-terms made it very clear that the anti-Republican force which came out in 2020 didn't just decide that politics were over once Trump was gone. And the GOP hasn't backed down from any of the things that made 2022 a bad year for them. If the economy stays at this level, it's hard to see how Trump wins in 2024 because literally nothing will be going better for them - Trump will be 4 years older, still harping on how he won 2024, and the party will still be screaming about national 6 week abortion bans and anti-trans bills.

But if the economy tanks, like from the GOP enforcing a governmnet default due to the debt ceiling, all bets are off, because

BiggerBoat posted:

TL/DR: Mostly because Americans are kind of dumb and a disturbing amount of them are full on and all in for fascism.