Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

StrixNebulosa posted:

Are there any good books about this as a plot point?

Stranger in a Strange Land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Are there any good books about this as a plot point?

The Spock like character in Rendevous with Rama belongs to a church that believes it, I don't remember how it affects the plot beyond him theorizing off it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ragle Gumm posted:

Hey, I said good books! :v:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Ragle Gumm posted:

Well then I counter with any Discworld with Carrot in it

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

hey now, Carrot is Prester John in this metaphor not Jesus

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I read a book as a kid about an alien invasion where toward the end its revealed the aliens used a lot of biblical imagery. it's left ambiguous as to whether a previous invasion by the aliens was the "real" source of inspiration behind Judeo-Christian mythology, or if the aliens were actually divine beings / angels and the invasion was the apocalypse

I'm pretty sure the book was very hacky and bad, but it was a neat idea that's stuck with me for 20 years

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

WarpDogs posted:

I read a book as a kid about an alien invasion where toward the end its revealed the aliens used a lot of biblical imagery. it's left ambiguous as to whether a previous invasion by the aliens was the "real" source of inspiration behind Judeo-Christian mythology, or if the aliens were actually divine beings / angels and the invasion was the apocalypse

I'm pretty sure the book was very hacky and bad, but it was a neat idea that's stuck with me for 20 years

That's just Evangelion.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

HopperUK posted:

There's nothing about the existence of alien life that would contradict anything in most major religions. Cute Internet Atheist bit though.

Yeah... most religious groups would fit the updated facts into their theology nicely, some would struggle, some would collapse, some would just deny everything, a few new cults would spring up... same as always. (And I'm speaking as someone who was an internet atheist before it was cool. Then I grew out of my 20s.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Traveller is just all cassette futurist space vcrs and big clunky buttons, like alien isolation, I love that aesthetic. I don't think it tries to hard to be an authentic prediction

Yeah, I was going to mention that, there's an appropriate cassette futurism subreddit with lots of lovely images of that sort of stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FPyat posted:

It's pretty cool how The Player of Games' depiction of Azad prefigures Civilization and other computer wargames.

Civilization was wholly inspired by the 1980 boardgame of the same name, though.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

SimonChris posted:

Japan and the Yakuza ruling the world is a classic. The Yakuza barely exists any more, and the average member is in their 50's because young people think they are lame. Kind of like SA, really.

IIRC Robert Frezza's "Small Colonial War" (a fairly decent and somewhat funny Hammer's Slammers style story) where Japanese and Korean megacorps run everything was published the same month the Japanese bubble economy imploded.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Jedit posted:

Civilization was wholly inspired by the 1980 boardgame of the same name, though.

He probably was fond of playing that kind of game, too. The thing is the way the book conjures up numbers of pieces and board size and complexity beyond what can be done with counters and dice.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The Translators by Gord Rollo is a pretty good book. One of my favorites.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

FPyat posted:

He probably was fond of playing that kind of game, too. The thing is the way the book conjures up numbers of pieces and board size and complexity beyond what can be done with counters and dice.

There's also one of his non-M books (was it Complicity? It's been ages) where the main character spends some time playing/thinking about a (fictional) computer game called Despot (IIRC), which sounded an awful lot like a not-Civ with more focus on the inner workings of society.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Jedit posted:

Significantly inspired, yes, although they don't share that much in terms of game mechanics. Sid Meier's game also has a lot in common with the older computer game Empire. Explore flat map with units, there are cities, cities can build more units that can fight enemy units and capture cities...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I went to university with a guy who said his dad invented the Civ board game. It might have been true. He was very posh.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
While the board game is a classic, we only managed to actually play it a handful of times even back when we were all students with no family obligations or anything, since it took all goddamn day and was best with a large number of players... Age of Renaissance was a later iteration of the basic design, much more streamlined, only required 4-6 players for 4 hours or something like that. Played a ton of that back at the end of the 90s.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Groke posted:

Yeah... most religious groups would fit the updated facts into their theology nicely, some would struggle, some would collapse, some would just deny everything, a few new cults would spring up... same as always. (And I'm speaking as someone who was an internet atheist before it was cool. Then I grew out of my 20s.)

There's also James Blish's A Case of Conscience.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Groke posted:

There's also one of his non-M books (was it Complicity? It's been ages) where the main character spends some time playing/thinking about a (fictional) computer game called Despot (IIRC), which sounded an awful lot like a not-Civ with more focus on the inner workings of society.

Yeah that's it

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kestral posted:

If I wanted to read the Mabinogion and whatever the definitive collection of Irish mythology is, whose translations into English should I be looking at?

Irish mate of my mum's gave me Kinsella's translation of the Tain when I was... 10 or so? because I should know my ancestral myths as well as all the Greek and Roman stuff I was reading. Has the stuff like Medb digging humongous trenches to dump her period in before a battle, which even at that age made me suspect that Wasn't How It Worked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HopperUK posted:

I went to university with a guy who said his dad invented the Civ board game. It might have been true. He was very posh.

If his name was Tresham then he might have been telling the truth. Mind you, it's hardly the sort of thing you'd spontaneously lie about.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Speaking of books that dated themselves horribly: Another by Norman Spinrad. Russian Spring. Cold War keeps going, the USSR successfully reforms their economy, generally gets their poo poo together, and is basically leading over the USA which on the other hand is stagnating into Christian fascism and loving up all its international diplomacy... by the time it was edited, printed and shipped to the bookstores, the USSR had accidentally fallen apart and so it was already alternate history.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

WarpDogs posted:

Sounds like Dean Koontz's The Taking. World-wide abductions are revealed to be to be the literal Rapture, and the malicious aliens menacing the main characters are actually demons.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Groke posted:

Also in The Steep Approach to Garbadale (or The Crow Road, take two) the whole plot is the family that founded Empire! deciding to sell out or not.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Walh Hara posted:

Let me recommend The Stardust Thief by Chelsea Abdullah to everybody. Just an incredible story, well written and a great setting. The authors handles the mysteries and the foreshadowing of these extremely well. The interaction of the 4 travelers is another positive as well, with none of them being able to trust the others. Easily the best fantasy books I've read in a long time.

The drawback is that it's only the first book of a trilogy. The second book is apparently scheduled for November 2023.

I just started this, and I really shouldn’t have after finishing The Adventures of Al-Sirafi by Shannon Chakraborty, because its writing is so much better and also the setting is so well researched.

Like Stardust Thief feels like a secondary world fantasy because its setting is kinda a nebulous not-actual-Arabia (or perhaps a half-forgotten pre-Islamic Arabia lost to mists of time), but it’s relying on standard Arabesque tropes to prop it up and filled with unquestioned modern sensibilities. Whereas Al-Sirafi is firmly set during the Crusades in the Gulf of Aden (but with magic), and challenges those same Arabesque cliches with deeper cultural knowledge, a recognition of Islam and the characters’ complicated relationships with it, and a lot of historical details.

And Chakraborty left a nice blurb for Stardust Thief, so I’m not gonna come down to hard on it for being less good than a more experienced author’s novel, but drat I wish I’d read them in the opposite order

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fate Accomplice posted:

logically I feel like the arrival of sentient aliens will signal the final end to religion, but I imagine there'll be millions who delude themselves like this.

Dune has a wonderfully goofy moment in the appendix about this.

quote:

There is a fifth force which shaped religious belief, but its effect is universeal and profound that it deserves to stand alone.

This is, of course, space travel - and in any discussion of religion, it deserves to be written thus:

SPACE TRAVEL!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
This is, of course, my wife - and in any discussion of my happiness she deserves to be pronounced thus:

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Well then I counter with any Discworld with Carrot in it

Every time someone mentions Discworld, I get reminded about how much I love Discworld.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Poldarn posted:

Every time someone mentions Discworld, I get reminded about how much I love Discworld.

Yes. Since I discovered those books in the late 1980s. And I still have not read the last one.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

zoux posted:

Do you guys have a favorite miss from past sci fi that dates it horribly? You know like how 80s sci fi movies are riddled with CRTs displays, or how almost everyone missed the idea of the smart phone.

In Robert Heinlein's Tunnel in the Sky (1955), humanity is colonizing the stars with the help of a revolutionary teleportation device, but there's one scene where the protagonist decides to figure out how many people are going through the portals and he pulls out a slide rule since Heinlein didn't foresee the invention of the electronic calculator (first one showed up in the 60s, portable ones began appearing in the 70s).

Whirling fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 23, 2023

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So The spear cuts through the water was ok, not amazing. But the hit ratio of this thread is 50/50, so that’s ok.
Definitely not on Bakker level in terms of gore (or a regular history book for that matter).

Anyone read house at the cerulean sea?
Got it recommended from a friend.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I never actually read it but The Book of Strange New Things is about the first priest sent to a planet where intelligent life was discovered and the instant the aliens lay eyes on him they go "hey, you're father greg or whatever, we've been waiting for you to tell us about Jesus and this book of strange new things!" completely unprompted. But I have no idea how it ends.

And I heard it was good, but I did not read it. And it's not exactly what you asked. But it's kinda close.

I finished listening to this the other day and it was good, but it definitely doesn't fit the Jesus is an alien thing. Jesus Lover 5 is an alien, though.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Cardiac posted:

Anyone read house at the cerulean sea?
Got it recommended from a friend.

I thought it was twee and toothless, and learning it was inspired by the attempted genocide of Indigenous Canadians turned it from something I was unimpressed by into "I am never going to read another book by this person".

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Walh Hara posted:

Let me recommend The Stardust Thief by Chelsea Abdullah to everybody. Just an incredible story, well written and a great setting. The authors handles the mysteries and the foreshadowing of these extremely well. The interaction of the 4 travelers is another positive as well, with none of them being able to trust the others. Easily the best fantasy books I've read in a long time.

The drawback is that it's only the first book of a trilogy. The second book is apparently scheduled for November 2023.

Quoting you again to ask, does this book get better? Because I’m at the 15% mark and thinking about dropping it.

This prince who’s supposed to be 22 acts like and is treated like he’s loving 12. He does nothing but sulk around the palace worrying about getting grounded by his daddy rather than… learning statecraft or warcraft like someone in his position would have by 16??? Like what the gently caress, this poo poo reads like a YA protagonist. How the gently caress is he 22? He’s not even as mature as a teenager, and no one seems to regard him as an adult. His entire character only makes sense if he was a literal child

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I agree, House is extremely twee, to the point where I didn’t feel any of the characters behaved like actual people. I did not know what it was inspired by, but the twee-ness of the entire thing feels worse now.

For what it’s worth, I think his later book Under the Whispering Door was more grounded and actually had some emotional heft. I don’t think I’d reread it, but I liked it significantly more than House.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Girl with All the Gifts (#1) by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO7FLFG/

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Stuporstar posted:

Quoting you again to ask, does this book get better? Because I’m at the 15% mark and thinking about dropping it.

This prince who’s supposed to be 22 acts like and is treated like he’s loving 12. He does nothing but sulk around the palace worrying about getting grounded by his daddy rather than… learning statecraft or warcraft like someone in his position would have by 16??? Like what the gently caress, this poo poo reads like a YA protagonist. How the gently caress is he 22? He’s not even as mature as a teenager, and no one seems to regard him as an adult. His entire character only makes sense if he was a literal child

Not sure what to tell you, personally I'm inclined to drop books very fast. If I ever wonder whether I should drop a book then I will certainly do so.

The prince certainly gets character growth. It's intended that you as a reader think he's an useless, hopelessly naive and sheltered boy - and it's also clear that everybody in the setting thinks so. In some ways this is the opposite of YA, since YA protonists are usually precocious superstars that are good in everything.

Thanks for the recommendation of The Adventures of Al-Sirafi! My impression/recollection of her Daevabad trilogy was not overly positive, but that's because I didn't like the whole love triangle and "last of your kind hero" stuff.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Shnakepup posted:

Sounds like Dean Koontz's The Taking. World-wide abductions are revealed to be to be the literal Rapture, and the malicious aliens menacing the main characters are actually demons.

oh man, you got it. I went through a Koontz phase in high school so it must have been around then

can't believe Dean Koontz wrote Evangelion fan fiction

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The only things I remember from that book are the demon/alien/monster that phased through the airlock on the ISS and one of the characters saying the ash/snow/forgot what it was smelled like semen.

loving weird book. Don't think it had a magical dog though, so it has that going for it, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Walh Hara posted:

Not sure what to tell you, personally I'm inclined to drop books very fast. If I ever wonder whether I should drop a book then I will certainly do so.

The prince certainly gets character growth. It's intended that you as a reader think he's an useless, hopelessly naive and sheltered boy - and it's also clear that everybody in the setting thinks so. In some ways this is the opposite of YA, since YA protonists are usually precocious superstars that are good in everything.

Thanks for the recommendation of The Adventures of Al-Sirafi! My impression/recollection of her Daevabad trilogy was not overly positive, but that's because I didn't like the whole love triangle and "last of your kind hero" stuff.

Yeah, Al-Sirafi is definitely a cut above the Daevabad trilogy. I liked it myself, but this new book proves she’s really become a seasoned writer. I love that the protagonist is a middle-aged mother who thought she retired from all this poo poo only to rediscover her love for adventure after being forced into it.

The Adventures of Al-Sirafi is more like Tim Powers Stranger Tides, except set in the medieval Indian Ocean (and devoid of any of the unfortunate sexism in the latter), with a 1st person protagonist whose voice alone is entertaining.

As for Stardust Thief, the problem is why is this prince so useless? They’re treating him like a pampered princess they have to preserve for an arranged marriage, and I see no signs of an intentional gender swap there. So why? Why is he no good at anything at the age of 22? It makes absolutely no sense. Royalty isn’t just an inherited position, it’s a vocation with duties, and they trusted him with none of them? He’s the most uninteresting love interest I’ve read in a while, and it’s kinda hard to give a crap about his character growth when he doesn’t have much character to begin with. This book reads 100% YA to me, because he’s not meant to be precocious superstar, the female protagonist is. All he has to do is be hansom and make moon eyes at her (and maybe frustrate her a bit by being incapable of tying his own sandals). So yeah, I’m afraid this is a DNF for me