Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

you ate my cat posted:

There's definitely clay. I worked a bunch of compost and some "soil improver" into the bed prior to planting, and that seemed to loosen everything up a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there's more clay farther down since I only dug down a foot or so.
Yeah, but the problem with putting good soil into a clay hole is that you have essentially created an underground flowerpot. What tends to happen is that the roots of whatever you're planting run into the clay, can't get through, and then run around in circles through the good soil. Since I left the Midwest, I have gardened on clay the remainder of my life. :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Lime can help make it clump/stick less but there really isn't any replacement for patience and just adding layers and layers and layers of organic materials on top of the deepest till or disc you can get through it on a dry spell. You would be amazed how strong the roots of a plant are but, like other posters have mentioned, it's the water that will drown the plant in full clay situations. We've moved hundreds of tons of compost trying to make any of our land worth a poo poo and it can be done but in my opinion, tilling out a planned little section and amending it and then building raised beds on top of it is the fastest way to go for hobby growing. We've had success on really small beds using sphagnum moss in the past but that's both expensive and irresponsible these days. I haven't tried coir on anything but that seems to be the new idea.

you ate my cat posted:

There's definitely clay. I worked a bunch of compost and some "soil improver" into the bed prior to planting, and that seemed to loosen everything up a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there's more clay farther down since I only dug down a foot or so.

That's another challenge with trying to grow in clay, every single time you get any amount of rain the smaller particles of clay will perc and start turning all that nice friable soil you've made on top of it into just more dang clay.

you ate my cat posted:

Also, I think one of the bags of compost I bought had grass seed in it because there's grass loving everywhere now.

I think that's just grass' nature. You don't really even have to accidentally plant the poo poo, it'll find you.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Bummer, it sounds like I should adjust my hopes for how well this garden can work. We rent, so it's not like I can dig it all out and start fresh. I'll do what I can, and if veg doesn't work out this year maybe I'll try flowers next year.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You could do a lot worse than build yourself a growpot and put one tomato into it. It's still early enough to plant. https://www.popsci.com/build-diy-road-ready-garden/

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Got my gear procured, cleared my space and will be putting things in this weekend

Pre-clearing

Cleared

Staked out a 9'x12' space for fencing

The bed is a 4x8' composite and the game plan is to set up 4 feet of fencing around to discourage deer and put pavers on the walkable space to discourage weeds.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

you ate my cat posted:

Bummer, it sounds like I should adjust my hopes for how well this garden can work. We rent, so it's not like I can dig it all out and start fresh. I'll do what I can, and if veg doesn't work out this year maybe I'll try flowers next year.

Don't let my perspective skew things. You can still get completely viable results with the way you're going, just realize it's going to add another challenge.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You could do a lot worse than build yourself a growpot and put one tomato into it. It's still early enough to plant. https://www.popsci.com/build-diy-road-ready-garden/

i made a couple "earthtainers" that are basically this but with large rubbermaid tubs and have had great luck with them

fabric pots are another good and cheap and non-permanent option, though i've never tried tomatoes in them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

the milk machine posted:

i made a couple "earthtainers" that are basically this but with large rubbermaid tubs and have had great luck with them

fabric pots are another good and cheap and non-permanent option, though i've never tried tomatoes in them.

Fabric bags work just fine for tomatoes. Buy a nice started plant and put it in some dirt. Tomato cage will even sit up fine in it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I have. The tomatoes did pretty much fine; my problem was that I hadn't picked cultivars suited for our cool climate.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Those 2 bucket self watering guys have been doing great.

Super kid proof for my greenhouse. No chance they're getting over watered. Both my parents/in-laws are making a ton for themselves to.

Really nice cheap solution

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm trying to grow cold hardy trifolate orange tree from a seedling I got online. I'm in Virginia. When should I plant it where I want it? I immediately moved it to a larger pot, it gets water and full sun. It's only grown a little bit in that time (a month). I want it to be strong when the winter comes.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 24, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What sort of soil did you use? Have you fertilized since planting?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What sort of soil did you use? Have you fertilized since planting?

I used some fine textured local soil I had in a pile in my backyard from an older project, almost dusty like. I think I hit it with a tiny bit of miracle grow. I can amend when I finally plant in the ground with proper citrus soil.

Also I have an even bigger pot on hand now but not sure that would be necessary before going in-ground.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 24, 2023

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Crosspost...

Found this guy inside my house and trying to figure out if it is a black garden ant or a carpenter ant. I killed it before I realized I should have taken more photos and put a quarter next to it, but was wondering if anyone could help me identify it? I found one upstairs my house on a mirror and another one on my first floor walking up a wall:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Comb Your Beard posted:

I used some fine textured local soil I had in a pile in my backyard from an older project, almost dusty like. I think I hit it with a tiny bit of miracle grow. I can amend when I finally plant in the ground with proper citrus soil.

Also I have an even bigger pot on hand now but not sure that would be necessary before going in-ground.
I would hit it with a tiny bit of Miracle-Gro again and see what happened. If you can find it locally, citrus fertilizer is better for the plant and will help it grow a strong root system.

In the books/magazines I've read, modern advice is not to put specialized soil in the ground when you plant a tree/bush. You want the plant to get used to the ground it's actually going to grow in.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

fyallm posted:

Crosspost...

Found this guy inside my house and trying to figure out if it is a black garden ant or a carpenter ant. I killed it before I realized I should have taken more photos and put a quarter next to it, but was wondering if anyone could help me identify it? I found one upstairs my house on a mirror and another one on my first floor walking up a wall:
There some kind of antsologist with a thread about ants in ask and tell.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Flipperwaldt posted:

There some kind of antsologist with a thread about ants in ask and tell.

Thank you!

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Lets say I have an indeterminate tomato and some rear end in a top hat horn worm was hanging out on the very top of the growth stem and he ate most of the leaves and by accident you used a shrunken to remove it from the tomato but you happened to also 'top' the main grown steam. Just a little bit below where the new leafs were growing.

Everything I'm reading says... it'll be fine but I could have sworn I remember see/reading that stops the plant from growing any higher and effectively ends the season.

I didn't throw a ninja star. There was a struggle removing that little poo poo off the top and it snapped :(

sterster fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 25, 2023

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Topping a tomato usually stops it from growing taller, but it'll still bush out and produce fruit.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Looking to get my lawn in as "optimal" a state. I aerated it a couple weeks ago, just gave it a very short mow andam looking to dethatch it.

Having a hell of a time finding a thatching rate near me in Canada, should I be looking up a specific term to ifind one? Some alternative rake?

Slowly getting as much micro-clover/grass-alternates as I can going, but in the mean time just want to make sure the whole things as healthy as I can get it

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 25, 2023

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

sterster posted:

Lets say I have an indeterminate tomato and some rear end in a top hat horn worm was hanging out on the very top of the growth stem and he ate most of the leaves and by accident you used a shrunken to remove it from the tomato but you happened to also 'top' the main grown steam. Just a little bit below where the new leafs were growing.

Everything I'm reading says... it'll be fine but I could have sworn I remember see/reading that stops the plant from growing any higher and effectively ends the season.

I didn't throw a ninja star. There was a struggle removing that little poo poo off the top and it snapped :(

My experience with indeterminate tomato plants is that you just made it very angry and should expect it to grow like mad.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh no it might throw off a thousand suckers and explode everywhere with fruit!

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

Looking to get my lawn in as "optimal" a state. I aerated it a couple weeks ago, just gave it a very short mow andam looking to dethatch it.

Having a hell of a time finding a thatching rate near me in Canada, should I be looking up a specific term to ifind one? Some alternative rake?

Slowly getting as much micro-clover/grass-alternates as I can going, but in the mean time just want to make sure the whole things as healthy as I can get it

There's no such thing as microclover. It's just white clover

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

sterster posted:

You've just challenged it to a knife fight. Best option is to top dress it with some really low level fertilizer and soak it in really nice. Like a fancy spa session. Double check your trellis or whatever. Apologize.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Organic Lube User posted:

Is it though? I have some of both. microclovers expensive as gently caress though so I'm not adding much more

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In the books/magazines I've read, modern advice is not to put specialized soil in the ground when you plant a tree/bush. You want the plant to get used to the ground it's actually going to grow in.

I've read that too. When I planted a cherry blossom tree I did put in a whole bag of compost but I tried to mix it super well with local/native so the boundary was very slight.

I expect the soil to be very marginal where I want the thorny orange. Next to the property line. So I'm mentally planning for some amending.

I'm planning clovering my lawn in the fall. I want both grass and clover.

Is it safe to grow an osmanthus/fragrant tea olive close to house foundation? Kind of niche question, I know.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 25, 2023

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Ah yes, I too uh... intentionally seeded my lawn with clover. This was intentional.

I've actually started trying to seed some bare patches with red clover and barley to condition the soil, but without much success so far. Also trying it in my raised beds where they seem much happier.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 26, 2023

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Phase 2, planter bed assembled. Now I need soil and fencing!

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
loving rat bastard squirrels are eating the apple peels I left out for my plants. :saddowns:

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

I remember when I was a kid watching some 8 mm movie at school about how clever squirrels are and they were cute. Now I struggle not to just see them as vicious digestive tracts with fleas.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rats with a PR team.

Edit: is there any way to have cilantro growing in the garden through the summer in 7a/7b? Would crowded planting in partial shade and planting every two weeks work decently to get a steady supply of non-bolted plants?

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 26, 2023

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Shifty Pony posted:

Rats with a PR team.

Edit: is there any way to have cilantro growing in the garden through the summer in 7a/7b? Would crowded planting in partial shade and planting every two weeks work decently to get a steady supply of non-bolted plants?

You could also just pretend to be a caterpillar and chomp the poo poo out of it on the regular. I feel like it recovers really fast from pest damage so why not be the pest yourself?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I've had luck with "cruiser" varietal cilantro not bolting immediately (in 6b). I also just rip handfuls on the daily like a grazing animal.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

Rats with a PR team.

not technically cilantro but a heat-loving replacement called 'vietnamese cilantro' by my local nursery is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persicaria_odorata

spreads a lot laterally without growing tall, tastes reasonably close, and i think will not flower unless you're in a tropical clime

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 26, 2023

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

eke out posted:

not technically cilantro but a heat-loving replacement called 'vietnamese cilantro' by my local nursery is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persicaria_odorata

spreads a lot laterally without growing tall, tastes reasonably close, and i think will not flower unless you're in a tropical clime

This is especially amusing since cilantro is sometimes labeled as Chinese parsley, so you've got Vietnamese Chinese parsley

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Comb Your Beard posted:

I've read that too. When I planted a cherry blossom tree I did put in a whole bag of compost but I tried to mix it super well with local/native so the boundary was very slight.

I expect the soil to be very marginal where I want the thorny orange. Next to the property line. So I'm mentally planning for some amending.

I'm planning clovering my lawn in the fall. I want both grass and clover.

Is it safe to grow an osmanthus/fragrant tea olive close to house foundation? Kind of niche question, I know.
I found a Forest Service PDF that says "Roots: Surface roots are not usually a problem." What's a problem? Your guess is as good as mine. The only other thing I've seen is that they have shallow roots. If you're specifically worrying about the roots damaging the foundation, that's a low enough risk that I'd be willing to take it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Alucard posted:

This is especially amusing since cilantro is sometimes labeled as Chinese parsley, so you've got Vietnamese Chinese parsley

lol herb names are such a mess! i bought a "cuban oregano" (which is cool cause it tastes like oregano but has big broad semi-succulent leaves)only to look it up and see it's also called mexican mint, indian borage, and spanish thyme

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 26, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Got strawberry flowers

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

eke out posted:

lol herb names are such a mess! i bought a "cuban oregano" (which is cool cause it tastes like oregano but has big broad semi-succulent leaves)only to look it up and see it's also called mexican mint, indian borage, and spanish thyme
In English "Thai basil" is the kind of basil most associated with Vietnamese cooking. In Vietnamese it's called something that translates as "cinnamon basil". In English "cinnamon basil" refers to a different plant.

The kind of basil used in most in Thai cooking is (in English) "holy basil", which is from India.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

w00tmonger posted:

Dethatcher?

Armstrong version or tow-behind?

Organic Lube User posted:

Just noticed that on an empty package of microclover. Ain't marketing a wonderful thing? :homebrew: