Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

titties posted:

Francine, Tammy Lynn, Dawn Marie, JASON THE SEXIEST MAN ALIVE

I would also accept the pronunciation Jaaaaaaaaaaason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Big Dick Dudley, 911, a very sweaty Joel Gertner, and Italian Tracy Smothers

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Pinche Rudo posted:

Big Dick Dudley, 911, a very sweaty Joel Gertner, and Italian Tracy Smothers

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Jerry Lynn, Justin Credible, Rhino & Tajiri

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think the true spirit of ECW would be best-represented by Paul Heyman twice, Mike Awesome debuting in WCW, and Taz losing to HHH

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Didn’t Mount Rushmore end up unfinished because the money ran out

This might be the most apt monument to ECW ever

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tajiri, Super Crazy and Little Guido but three times in a row.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Mt Rushmore of ECW needs to include Paul Heyman's roommate who was always the one who answered the calls when anybody was trying to find Paul

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Steve Corino, Justin Credible, Danny Doring and C.W. Anderson

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

For better or worse for some reason the only things I remember vividly from ECW are the truly bonkers shenanigans.

Like, I know there where some actually good matches performed in ECW, such as RVD vs Jerry Lynn(1 through 100), a lot of the three way dances, Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka(1 through 50), but for the life of me I can't remember gently caress all about them. Except maybe a spot. On the other hand I can remember Dancing Italian Tracy Smothers, New Jack Run ins, Jason "The Worlds Sexiest Man"* and any JOEL "I make them holler for a dollar, and do some strange for some change." GERTNER Promos. like it was yesterday.

edit:
Thinking about it, it's basically the entire attitude era for me anyway. I know there are some actual good matches in there, but I don't remember much of it outside of truly insane stuff like Mankind getting chair shotted to death, Mankind getting tossed in a dumpster and wheeled off stage, Mankind getting yeeted off a cell, Mankind getting yeeted through a cell....

Man, no wonder dude seems like he can barely walk these days.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 20, 2023

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Paul E, a bounced cheque, a hotdog, a handshake

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Defenestrategy posted:

For better or worse for some reason the only things I remember vividly from ECW are the truly bonkers shenanigans.

Like, I know there where some actually good matches performed in ECW, such as RVD vs Jerry Lynn(1 through 100), a lot of the three way dances, Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka(1 through 50), but for the life of me I can't remember gently caress all about them. Except maybe a spot. On the other hand I can remember Dancing Italian Tracy Smothers, New Jack Run ins, Jason "The Worlds Sexiest Man"* and any JOEL "I make them holler for a dollar, and do some strange for some change." GERTNER Promos. like it was yesterday.

edit:
Thinking about it, it's basically the entire attitude era for me anyway. I know there are some actual good matches in there, but I don't remember much of it outside of truly insane stuff like Mankind getting chair shotted to death, Mankind getting tossed in a dumpster and wheeled off stage, Mankind getting yeeted off a cell, Mankind getting yeeted through a cell....

People rightly scoff at WWE's weird "moments" thing, but it pretty much is the best way of describing that boom period, so I can't really get mad at them or any of the fans trumpeting it. I couldn't really tell you much about a lot of the matches from that time - my memory is preoccupied with Stone Cold and the beer truck, Stone Cold and the zamboni, Stone Cold and the cement truck, Stone Cold and the bedpan, Stone Cold and the toy gun, Stone Cold and the rattlesnake, Stone Cold and the crane, Stone Cold saving Stephanie from being crucified on The Undertaker's Symbol (TM), Stone Cold caving the ceiling in on X-Pac, Stone Cold kidnapping Scott Hall, Stone Cold throwing Kurt Angle's medals into the river, Stone Cold catching Road Dogg in a bear trap, Stone Cold urinating on Arn Anderson, Stone Cold and Booker T in the supermarket, etc.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When did WWE start building toward "The first half hour is just dueling promos, probably by the McMahons" and when did it peak? That's what I remember about the Attitude Era.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Defenestrategy posted:

edit:

The FBI were absolutely indisputably one of the most fun parts of back half of ECW. Starting with JT Smith getting concussed so hard he thought he was Italian American, to the wonderful Italians of Tommy Rich & Tracy Smothers. So much fun.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

People rightly scoff at WWE's weird "moments" thing, but it pretty much is the best way of describing that boom period, so I can't really get mad at them or any of the fans trumpeting it. I couldn't really tell you much about a lot of the matches from that time - my memory is preoccupied with Stone Cold and the beer truck, Stone Cold and the zamboni, Stone Cold and the cement truck, Stone Cold and the bedpan, Stone Cold and the toy gun, Stone Cold and the rattlesnake, Stone Cold and the crane, Stone Cold saving Stephanie from being crucified on The Undertaker's Symbol (TM), Stone Cold caving the ceiling in on X-Pac, Stone Cold kidnapping Scott Hall, Stone Cold throwing Kurt Angle's medals into the river, Stone Cold catching Road Dogg in a bear trap, Stone Cold urinating on Arn Anderson, Stone Cold and Booker T in the supermarket, etc.

Don't forget The Rock throwing Stone Cold off a bridge.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

How about Stone Cold helping Mankind win the title. I liked that one.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Even if you break it down to the most simplest form, what moments have they made in the last 10 years? They can’t even live up to the dumb bullshit buzzwords they throw out.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

Even if you break it down to the most simplest form, what moments have they made in the last 10 years? They can’t even live up to the dumb bullshit buzzwords they throw out.

That time when bray wyatt killed the idea of john cena and put him in a shadow zone.

The time cody rhodes switched from an up and coming startup promotion to a dried out husk to chase the dream of his father only to be left denied defeated in a ring with a rubber chicken.

The time seth rollins threw up after literally popping rey mysterios eye out.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Defenestrategy posted:

That time when bray wyatt killed the idea of john cena and put him in a shadow zone.

The time cody rhodes switched from an up and coming startup promotion to a dried out husk to chase the dream of his father only to be left denied defeated in a ring with a rubber chicken.

The time seth rollins threw up after literally popping rey mysterios eye out.

"I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOUUUU!!!"

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
HHH wanting a standing ovation but getting nah nah nah’d
“Magic beeeeans”
R-truth dancing at the end of that PPV
Rock looking confused while getting hailed with boos after Roman wins the rumble

All of these are great moments from the worldwide leader in sports entertainment

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Invalid Validation posted:

seth rollins doing his finisher 1 million times to the fiend, hitting him with a big hammer and then getting disqualified for hitting him with a small hammer
also its red

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Passion of the Cody

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Becky Lynch standing tall and proud with blood streaming down her face was cool as hell.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
love me some Cody

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Seth cashing in MITB during the main event of Wrestlemania 31 was pretty good in terms of actually intended moments.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Daniel Bryan had a bunch of good moments. The time he turned on the Wyatt Family was cool.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Bryan is like the perfect example of WWE succeeding in spite of itself. Sometimes they really gently caress up and manage to hire someone with his kind of star potential.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Whenever Brock Lesnar or Big Show collapsed the ring was a pretty awesome moment. Also the Nexus debut and Punk's first promo really got people talking.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

History Comes Inside! posted:

No idea who’d be on it but I know who’d be dancing atop it

But if someone got thrown off it, it would be HIGH INCIDENT.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hoss Corncave posted:

Seth cashing in MITB during the main event of Wrestlemania 31 was pretty good in terms of actually intended moments.

That plus as mentioned Bryan at 30 was probably when I should’ve just quit while I was ahead as a WWE Watcher. Downhill ever since.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
Am I crazy in thinking Bobby Heenan once claimed Shaquille O'Neal was only five and a half feet tall?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

XeeD posted:

Am I crazy in thinking Bobby Heenan once claimed Shaquille O'Neal was only five and a half feet tall?

its literally the cold open to the most recent wrestling with wregret classic ppv video, its from Bash at the Beach 1994 and he says he's only 5' 11" without shoes on

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
Beauty. I knew I wasn't crazy trying to explain it to my friends. And now I know where to find it to show them. Thanks, bud.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
How do NXT Takeovers (the old good ones) stack up against AEW PPVs?

Those Takeovers were pretty much unmissable until about 2019 when they began to suck toward the end of the year. Same with AEW PPVs, although they have had a couple of misfires.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

poorly

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

How do NXT Takeovers (the old good ones) stack up against AEW PPVs?

What would you consider an old good NXT takeover? From what I remember most of them had one or two banger matches and the rest of the card, as per wwe tradition, where throwaways. While AEW ppv's are bangers back to front with maybe an accidental meh match in there.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

NXT ppvs were good and fun to watch with my friends

AEW ppvs changed my life

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The best Takeovers were all really short with only 4-5 matches. Some of them almost all the matches were great but that’s hard to compare favourably to an AEW show that’s twice as long with almost all great matches.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Those first two years or so of NXT Takeovers (2014/15ish) were a breath of fresh air for North American wrestling shows since they were focused, concise, and highlighted some great rising stars (Sami, KO, Neville, the Four Horsewomen, etc.). There were certainly some duds amongst the shows (The Ascension’s big push, Adam Rose, Hideo Itami’s debut, Baron Corbin v. Bull Dempsey), but there was a lot of good there too.

Somewhere around the middle of Finn Balor’s title reign the shine starts to come off a bit, despite some excellent stuff still in Bayley’s big title win/reign. I want to say Takeover Brooklyn II or Toronto are the last of those early shows that still had some of that initial charm, before NXT became home to the Gargano/Ciampa forever feud.

Edit: that said, AEW’s PPVs have been leagues better. There have only been a handful of bad matches/feuds or production goofs (looking at you, Exploding Barbed Wire Deathmatch…), but generally even the worst AEW PPVs have been worthwhile and better than those aforementioned NXT shows.

BodyMassageMachine fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Those first two years or so of NXT Takeovers (2014/15ish) were a breath of fresh air for North American wrestling shows since they were focused, concise, and highlighted some great rising stars (Sami, KO, Neville, the Four Horsewomen, etc.). There were certainly some duds amongst the shows (The Ascension’s big push, Adam Rose, Hideo Itami’s debut, Baron Corbin v. Bull Dempsey), but there was a lot of good there too.

Somewhere around the middle of Finn Balor’s title reign the shine starts to come off a bit, despite some excellent stuff still in Bayley’s big title win/reign. I want to say Takeover Brooklyn II or Toronto are the last of those early shows that still had some of that initial charm, before NXT became home to the Gargano/Ciampa forever feud.

Edit: that said, AEW’s PPVs have been leagues better. There have only been a handful of bad matches/feuds or production goofs (looking at you, Exploding Barbed Wire Deathmatch…), but generally even the worst AEW PPVs have been worthwhile and better than those aforementioned NXT shows.

NXT TakeOvers went down a tier after Toronto, and then dropped down another tier or two more after New Orleans (the first Gargano-Ciampa match). That first Gargano-Ciampa match was great, and that drat back bump Ciampa took onto the bare concrete will just live in my head forever.

But yes, the AEW PPVs are better overall than TakeOvers, and the best AEW PPVs (looking at you, Revolution 2020) are better than the best TakeOvers.