Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Affi posted:

Well he can turn the putty into a weapon or Shield to deal with stray demons. About the way all of it is resolved i bet Joe calls in a few favours from his blackmailed kids to get a rescue going.

SS 41 its been repeatedly stated it would be an insanely bad idea for alden's magic/authority to come into contact with demons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Megazver posted:

That was cool, thank you for writing this up. Your backstory has been on my To Read list for quite a while; I promise I'll get around to it eventually!

Thanks! Sorry for writing so much. I sometimes get a little embarrassed by just how much I write.

I will say though that because I write so much, it's really easy to immerse yourself in my story and emerge a month or two or three later. There have been a lot of people who've lost a lot of productivity at their workplace because of my story. :v:

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 24, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cicero posted:

TUTBAD 179: Well Verity went and accidentally created an entire person out of nothing, PLUS a new magic system to go along with her.

Plus horses, which I guess is neat.

No shortage of ethical implications here, especially since they planned to spread this kind of dungeon knowledge around.

she's gonna turn them all into paperclips

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
TUTBAD: Yeah, looking back, Alfric's various spiels about what you really don't want to happen in a dungeon
was really just him leaving loaded Chekhov's guns everywhere huh?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: This is all Super Supportive Patreon spoilers

A big flaming stink posted:

someone speculated that gloom (hannah's mom) might get called in to deal with this stuff since she basically has weather superpowers, but while i guess that makes comic book sense, i have a tough time justifying why the artonans would go so far to save a rookie avowed in a place he absolutely shouldnt be

Yeah, I really doubt that will happen. The only person even aware this is happening is Joe, and there's no System on Thegund anymore so no summoning (no one other than a very powerful wizard is even capable of getting there now). It seems more likely that he just somehow manages to survive in the lab, which is apparently something that is potentially possible, even if there's a low chance.

Another possibility is he somehow indirectly sends a distress signal by preserving Stuart via the piece of bone (which I'm pretty certain is technically possible), if he still has it on him. This would depend on there being some way to find his position from that, but maybe wizards could do that (and Stuart is a really big deal, so a large variety of things are potentially possible there).

42: This is very depressing. Thenn-ar talking with him a lot both because she feels terrible for him and because she realizes this is the last chance she'll have to talk to anyone. :(

SS 41 its been repeatedly stated it would be an insanely bad idea for alden's magic/authority to come into contact with demons

This is also my impression, but it specifically was stated not to use it on a person who was affected by the demons. That might be a distinct thing from using the magic on an unaffected object and using it to shield from the demons (though I wouldn't exactly count on it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 24, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
SS 42: gently caress.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

SS42

Didnt it protect the kid at the teleportarium?

Also such a creepy chapter. Very well written and suspenseful. I espected monsters or something to fight or hide from. Not evil weather.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Edit: One kind of broader thing I realized regarding the direction Super Supportive has gone is that Alden's experiences will end up differing significantly from other Earth Avowed by simple virtue of the fact that his first ever experience was a summon to the Artonan home worlds where he primarily just worked with Artonans. For most Avowed, Anesidora is instead going to be their introduction to "life as an Avowed."

Affi posted:

SS42

Didnt it protect the kid at the teleportarium?

SS 42
IIRC it did, but there was a big and impractical magical "cost" to it that almost knocked Alden out. So it's not exactly a practical option.

Edit: I went back and looked at the part in question, and it definitely did protect her. It's at least *something*, but I doubt he could block more than one or two things like that (and anything he could see well enough to block, he could simply dodge). Plus the much bigger problem that he can't exactly stay awake for many days straight. Something is going to need to happen, and if I had to guess it would need to be prompted by Joe, since he's the only one who will know what happened. And Joe potentially has some big motivations to pull out all the stops here. Alden's connection with the Primary could possibly cause a problem if he dies doing something Joe requested.

edit2: Holy crap, he appears to have suddenly released 2 more chapters at once

lmao, he indirectly replies to one of the speculations:
SS 43:
"He’d even considered eating the shard of Stuart’s foot bone, just in case some kind of salvation was going to come in that form."

Ah, the second chapter was short. Was tearing up some at 43. No idea how this is going to resolve. I think we might get a time skip.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 25, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Agreed that I really don't know where Super Supportive is going. It's been so good that I am on board, but I do hope the escalation spiral doesn't spin too out of control.

It's kind of interesting how impactful the format is to my assumptions about what will happen. If this was a book, I would assume Alden was going to die, perhaps heroically saving the little girl. It could be a nice mirroring of how the story started with Alden being saved by a hero who couldn't save his parents.

As for what is next, I am expecting a series of vignettes showing how they struggle and survive until rescue arrives. day 1, day 3, day 8, day 138 kind of thing.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Wittgen posted:

Agreed that I really don't know where Super Supportive is going. It's been so good that I am on board, but I do hope the escalation spiral doesn't spin too out of control.

It's kind of interesting how impactful the format is to my assumptions about what will happen. If this was a book, I would assume Alden was going to die, perhaps heroically saving the little girl. It could be a nice mirroring of how the story started with Alden being saved by a hero who couldn't save his parents.

As for what is next, I am expecting a series of vignettes showing how they struggle and survive until rescue arrives. day 1, day 3, day 8, day 138 kind of thing.

Basically Alden has a few items and powers that can help...
But really nothing that will solve his problems. The lab is probably the key somehow, and not something that the system will take into account.

Food, shelter and maybe more chaos resistant gear?
But yeah... it's not looking good for our hero.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SS 45

loling at Artonan children's programming being creepypastas

edit: It's also neat how he's effectively getting around a lot of learning restrictions by 1. being in a situation with no System and 2. being "taught" by a child who doesn't know/care about that stuff.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 25, 2023

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

These black bars are going to end up making me get the drat patreon.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Infinity Gaia posted:

These black bars are going to end up making me get the drat patreon.

It's probably the best webfic around. And this current arc we're getting is intense as gently caress.

Also I called it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I'd get on the patreon but not at fourteen and a half loonies a month.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/54476/dungeon-life is surprisingly fun.

It's about a good dungeon core and doesn't get bogged down in the details of numbers going up. Instead it focuses on the action and social narrative beats it wants to tell, and does very well in the process, imo.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

speaking of dungeons, what happened to Dungeon Crawler Carl? last I remember they just started a level that was going to be a ccg or Pokemon or something and then it stopped updating on Royal Road?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Lone Goat posted:

speaking of dungeons, what happened to Dungeon Crawler Carl? last I remember they just started a level that was going to be a ccg or Pokemon or something and then it stopped updating on Royal Road?

I think he sort of gave up on RR and focused on patreon/KU
but the card game book is out on KU now

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I should try Super Supportive since I just got caught up on Threads of Destiny.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Looks like the first Book of Pale Lights is about to end. The scene with Tristan and Maryam was sweet. Looks like now it's time to go to hosed up violence school. I actually kinda hope there's a little less tension in the future, because this whole first arc was a bit exhausting at times.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I should try Super Supportive since I just got caught up on Threads of Destiny.

It's really good, though definitely a "slow burn." I'd rank it as one of the top 3 web serials I've read, at least based off the content so far. And it's the only one that's actually made me tear up some*.

* 42 or 43 IIRC the stuff about Thenn-ar was the saddest to me. Kibby's situation is also very sad, but the scene with Thenn-ar patiently spending the last bits of her life trying to help explain things to Alden (plus probably just wanting to talk some more because it'd be her last chance) was just extremely sad. Even though she was going to die, she still felt bad for this alien kid who was thrust into this situation.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 26, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

New SS up on Patreon. I've only had Kibby for three chapters, but if anything happened to her I'd kill everyone in this room and then myself.

I am dreading when the effects of the chaos get bad again. I love how effectively the story is pacing things, though. The disaster was so bad, and then they got to a new equilibrium where the characters are learning and doing their best. It's very sweet, but things are going to get worse before rescue arrives. No way one shielded room is enough to negate a 1 in ten thousand survival chance.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wittgen posted:

New SS up on Patreon. I've only had Kibby for three chapters, but if anything happened to her I'd kill everyone in this room and then myself.

I am dreading when the effects of the chaos get bad again. I love how effectively the story is pacing things, though. The disaster was so bad, and then they got to a new equilibrium where the characters are learning and doing their best. It's very sweet, but things are going to get worse before rescue arrives. No way one shielded room is enough to negate a 1 in ten thousand survival chance.

I was under the impression the demon levels reached their peak "concentration" early on, and would just hang around and spread apart for a really long time (but the cumulative effects might cause increasing issues). I'm actually kind of curious about the stated percent values. Alden has already lasted to around the 1% point (and it turns out that he personally was never really at much risk during that time as long as he got to the laboratory). But the System is already aware of his personal resistance (including the Gorgon-related changes), and *seems* to be aware of the resources in the laboratory (since otherwise the 8-month rate would just be 0%). I'm kind of curious about what sort of situation could possibly have a "super low but non-zero" chance of survival, since it seems like the only possibilities are "staying in the lab is enough to keep them safe" and "it isn't and they just die to the surrounding demons/chaos."

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I was under the impression the demon levels reached their peak "concentration" early on, and would just hang around and spread apart for a really long time (but the cumulative effects might cause increasing issues). I'm actually kind of curious about the stated percent values. Alden has already lasted to around the 1% point (and it turns out that he personally was never really at much risk during that time as long as he got to the laboratory). But the System is already aware of his personal resistance (including the Gorgon-related changes), and *seems* to be aware of the resources in the laboratory (since otherwise the 8-month rate would just be 0%). I'm kind of curious about what sort of situation could possibly have a "super low but non-zero" chance of survival, since it seems like the only possibilities are "staying in the lab is enough to keep them safe" and "it isn't and they just die to the surrounding demons/chaos."

My understanding is that the demon bugs reach their peak concentration early on and then fad out, but they leave behind an increased level of chaos. Alden has mentioned that any time he is outside the vault, his authority is being pressed on by the background chaos radiation. He is only comfortable if he has activated his bouncy powers. I think this atmospheric chaos is why only Alden and wizard girl had a chance of surviving. Even if one of the others had avoided getting hit by a chaos bug, they would be destabilized by now.

I think that more dangerous manifestations of the chaos will start to condense out of the increased background level. The thing in the grass is probably one of them.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Affi posted:

It's probably the best webfic around. And this current arc we're getting is intense as gently caress.

Also I called it.

It's good, but I don't think it's the best

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Selkie Myth posted:

It's good, but I don't think it's the best

What is?

For me, the currently running contenders are

Fox's Tongue and Kirin's Bone
Pale Lights
Super Supportive

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 26, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

What is?

Pale Lights
Super Supportive

Yeah, Pale Lights is probably the main other contender for me (which makes me want to try the other one you mentioned).

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, Pale Lights is probably the main other contender for me (which makes me want to try the other one you mentioned).

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/42226/foxs-tongue-and-kirins-bone

It's excellent, a dark fairy-tale about a boy thrust into the court politics of a hosed up family ruling a last bastion of humanity on the brink. Despite that, it's easy reading with quality prose that sucks you in. It's the only web fiction I've bought a paper copy of (book 1) to gift to a friend.

Edit: ah book 1 was removed when it was published. it's on Kindle Unlimited, though, if you have that.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 26, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Looks like the first Book of Pale Lights is about to end. The scene with Tristan and Maryam was sweet. Looks like now it's time to go to hosed up violence school. I actually kinda hope there's a little less tension in the future, because this whole first arc was a bit exhausting at times.

It's really good, though definitely a "slow burn." I'd rank it as one of the top 3 web serials I've read, at least based off the content so far. And it's the only one that's actually made me tear up some*.

That's some high praise.

The Wandering Inn has made me tear up a few times too, so we'll see if it meets that level at least.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I earnestly believe that EE (Pale Lights, PracGuide) is the most technically proficient writer in the webserial sphere

As an aside I think the Emerald Seas author has a real talent for gesturing at the background of a world, drawing the reader in. Same thing I like about Necroepilogos! Pretty necessary skill to have, when you are setting your work in the world that remains after multiple post-post-post apocalyptic civilizations accreted in the same planet for millenia.

quote:

“Ikoshpiil is an informal sword-art developed by riverkin boat-traders which specializes in feints, sleight-of hand, and grappling techniques to subdue opponents through trickery. The style is looked down on by many sword-masters, who consider it a rude and deceptive practice, unworthy of the title of sword-art. These men are fools. Pick any modern naval gun-and-blade style, and you will find the influence of ikoshpiil’s advanced footwork and disarming techniques.

Its most authentic form is practiced with the kruko, the cross-handled river hook, a small blade which can easily be concealed in clothing, and thrown with surprising accuracy. Surprise is an essential element of the style. Those attempting to face a practitioner should know that novices carry no less than three blades, and masters carry as many as eight.

Its title, Ikoshpiil, is a rude term. Though it literally translates to hook play, the term also carries connotations of trickery, stage plays, and sexual activity. A more accurate translation would be hookfuckery.”

– The Sword and its Shortcomings, Strikes-From-Horizon, former Sword Saint

quote:

Lilly: Good morning New Babel, you’re listening to Screw Loose, your favorite early-morning exo rig and rig maintenance rig show this side of the white river, I’m Lilly.

The Bear: And I’m the Bear, and you- are on the air. What can we help you with?

Caller: Howdy girls! Togen, from the South Teykile. I’ve got a bit of a mystery for ya, I was hoping you could help me solve it.

Lilly: Oh lovely! I think we’re ready to sleuth.

The Bear: What the problem doll?

Togen: So I’m a boatwright. About a month ago, I’m on the job in a Wylan Mastiff UD-940. I’m lifting a panel of ship-chitin that weighs maybe 1000 kilograms, and I can feel the exhaust channels getting hot.

The Bear: Uh oh.

Lilly: Uh oh indeed.

Togen: I figure I’m overcycling, but the Mastiff can pull 1000kg easy right? So I put down the panel, and suddenly, BOOM! Radiator explodes right out of the chassis! I can hear the I-bolts ping against field tech’s facemask!

[Both hosts begin to laugh]

Lilly: Huh!?

The Bear: Okay okay hold on a second-

Togen: I’ve got an insulated undersuit, but the radiator is just full-on burning at this point. Now, I’m not about to jump into the Occimedian with my rig on, so I slam the emergency kill. So now I’m lyin there, facefirst on the dock, hollerin for the other idiots to put me out!

The Bear: You had an extinguisher right?

Lilly: Maybe someone had a drink?

Togen: Well…Okay so get this. The yard has an extinguisher. That’s union. But before someone could grab it, one of the boys uh, relieves himself, on the radiator.

[The hosts are silent for a moment, but can’t keep it going. Lilly snorts loudly as she laughs.]

Togen: Hey it worked! Problem is, the drat thing hasn’t been running right ever since. I replaced the radiator that evening, but for some reason I’m only getting about 70, 80 percent torque when I lift, but its only from certain positions. I’ve taken the thing to two different shops at this point, and they both said that everything looked fine. I’m at the end of my rope here ladies, can you help me?

Lilly: Sleuthing hats on!

The Bear: Well sir, I think I know what your problem is. You set yourself on fire, and then someone pissed on you.

Lilly: Yeah! Just tell the boys at your local rig shop, they’ll know what to do.

[The hosts pause for a moment, deliberating]

The Bear: Well drat Togen, you’ve given us two mysteries for the price of one.

Lilly: First, we gotta figure out why your radiator exploded. Then, we gotta figure out why your lift capacity is damaged. Okay, replacing the radiator was the right call, did you have them look at the recycler?

Togen: Yeah, when the first guy said it was fine, I took it to the second shop, and they said the recycler was probably running cold in the early morning air, you know, building up heat in the radiator.

[lilly scoffs]

The Bear: That guy didn’t know what he was talking about. The recycler generates a ton of heat. While your rig is live, they’re actually floating in coolant because they generate so much heat.

Lilly: Hmmm. Did you have any custom work on the Mastiff before it exploded?

Togen: Yeah. Lets see…I had the 8-cell replaced with a 10-cell, added a fluid circulator, and full weatherizing. Tubes, seals, soles, the works.

The Bear: The weatherizing, synthetic or biosynthetic?

Togen: Biosynthetic ma’am.

The Bear: Here’s what I think happened. Whoever shopped your rig under-tightened the bolts, and used overripe sealant. See, the biosynth sealant that Wylan uses is self-repairing, and it feeds on heat. I bet that when they replaced your power supply, they left a gap, so the sealant started growing into your radiator channel, sealed it up like a pressure cooker and BOOM.

Lilly: Okay love, when you try squatting to pick something up in the rig, is there chugging from the leg hydraulics? Or is it more like the force just hits a wall at 70%?

Togen: There’s definitely chugging.

The Bear: Have you checked the tubing rings? You might’ve vented some heat onto them during the explosion, caused a hairline breach?

Lilly: Bearie dear I have a hunch. If he burned the rings he’d know. They’d pop right out as soon as he tried to squat. Follow me here.

The Bear: Uh oh.

Lilly: [starting to laugh] No! Listen! Okay you said you added a fluid circulator right?

Togen: Yes ma’am.

Lilly: Listen! Okay! Love! Here’s what I think happened! So urine has both salt and uric acid in it right? Both corrosive substances. I’d bet my bonnet that when you hit your kill switch, it took a moment or two for the circulator to spin down. There was probably already some urine in your radiator. That urine had enough time to get circulated into your hydraulics, where it’s been sitting, corroding your internal glide sheathes.

The Bear: [laughing] Oh my lord that has to be it. Yes. Yes! That has to be it! Here’s what you’re gonna do, doll. You’re gonna take it to the local garage. You’re ask them for a total flush. Your biosynthetics should heal within a week.

Lilly: And while you’re there, have them check the I-bolts on the new radiator chassis!

The Bear: How’s that sound doll?

Togen: Well gosh ladies, I’m gonna be honest. The boys at the shop yard have a betting pool on just what was wrong with the rig, and I think all of us might owe the two of you some money. Thank you so much!

[The hosts laugh]

The Bear: Good luck doll!

Lilly: Thanks for your call!

[The show transitions to commercial]

The main work is only on AO3 because the author doesn't really know anything about web publishing. There's also the unrelated, previous work in the same world and the first draft of the story, which might get deleted at some point

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

oh, and Tales of Destiny is required reading after finishing Threads, for much the same reasons detailed above. Love that heap of worldbuilding

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ramie posted:

I earnestly believe that EE (Pale Lights, PracGuide) is the most technically proficient writer in the webserial sphere

I mostly agree. I consider PracGuide to be the best web serial overall, but not so much due to technical proficiency (since I've definitely read others with similar quality writing, if not actually better in terms of avoiding typos/grammar issues). I think they just take advantage of the format best while still telling a memorable story that works very well as a serial. They have a remarkable talent for just whipping out high quality short stories about any random character, and can create the sort of scenes that really stick in your head.

The one qualifier for this is that there are a few series I've seen people speak highly of that I haven't read yet.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Prac had so many spelling and grammar typos that it was painful to read at times. Perhaps the writer is proficient at building a world and a story structure, but their actual writing is pretty bad much of the time.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Peachfart posted:

Prac had so many spelling and grammar typos that it was painful to read at times. Perhaps the writer is proficient at building a world and a story structure, but their actual writing is pretty bad much of the time.

I've been trying to figure out how to say same the same thing.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 26, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Writing and being good at catching typos are two different skills.

For many writers, after you've been loving around with a text for a bit you just stop seeing the typos and this gets magnified for serial writers, who don't have the luxury of putting the manuscript away for a few weeks to refresh their perception of it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ramie posted:

oh, and Tales of Destiny is required reading after finishing Threads, for much the same reasons detailed above. Love that heap of worldbuilding

Oh yeah, I'm nearly done with this too. Like 5-6 chapters left. I liked a few of them quite a bit like "Journey to the East" or the "King of the Explorers". "Letter" was nice too.

And of course I liked the "Snake and Spider" ones too. The sect promotionals were a slog though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Megazver posted:

For many writers, after you've been loving around with a text for a bit you just stop seeing the typos and this gets magnified for serial writers, who don't have the luxury of putting the manuscript away for a few weeks to refresh their perception of it.

Yeah, I don't really notice typos and consider that sort of thing completely different from badly written dialogue/characters (which is a much bigger problem in both serials and actual fantasy/sci-fi books, though that's often due to audience demand).

Grammar can go either way. There's the sort of grammar mistakes that are more akin to typos (which doesn't bother me), and then there's the grammar mistakes that give the feeling you're reading something by someone who isn't fluent in the language.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Ytlaya posted:

I mostly agree. I consider PracGuide to be the best web serial overall, but not so much due to technical proficiency (since I've definitely read others with similar quality writing, if not actually better in terms of avoiding typos/grammar issues). I think they just take advantage of the format best while still telling a memorable story that works very well as a serial. They have a remarkable talent for just whipping out high quality short stories about any random character, and can create the sort of scenes that really stick in your head.

that's mostly what I meant by proficiency, hah. just a very good understanding of what makes a story palatable to the reader, how to lead them, ability to not pigeonhole oneself too much or overrely on flourishes (TWI gets really bad about this when it comes to the world "glory"). Pale Lights is at the precise upper limit of complexity that a web serial can have before it buckles under its own weight imo, and it holds itself at that level pretty consistently

my biggest complaint about PL is that for someone that has Spanish as a first language and knows a little bit of Nahuatl/Chinese, the naming schemes are a little silly and surface-level. the China stand-in is literally named Tianxia, the Aztec guy is named "Warrior", etc.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Megazver posted:

Curse the curse of the artist. It's extremely difficult to evaluate your own work. Generally a small handful of readers will help me with grammar, I'll feel embarrassed that the errors were so simple and then correct it.

On occasion you get someone who loves your work and reads it voraciously, but only talks to you about spelling and grammatical errors, not about the story itself. I simultaneously love them and they drive me nuts.

Also I'm now on chapter 21 of Super Supportive because of this thread and it's some really excellent work. Would recommend.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That's me :( I have stuff I enjoy reading but I'm very bad at leaving comments, so it tends to just be edit suggestions.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Nettle Soup posted:

That's me :( I have stuff I enjoy reading but I'm very bad at leaving comments, so it tends to just be edit suggestions.

I personally love it and you should keep doing it!

I had to develop some very thick skin while writing because my writing is very personal and criticism of my work made me nuts. But I had to learn the difference between constructive criticism that I should take to heart or at least meant well and unconstructive criticism that I could safely ignore. Both felt bad, but then I grew thicker skin so I only agonize a little now.

If you don't develop that thick skin, you never grow. And worse, if an author's skin gets thinner as a result, they end up lashing out at people who mean well while their work either fails to grow or gets worse.

It's just me bitching a little because underneath that thick skin I'm still a big soft baby about what I write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

What is?

Pale Lights
Super Supportive

Authors I consider stronger than Super Supportive, in no particular order:

Void Herald, best known for The Perfect Run
Nixia, currently with Stargazer and Dungeon Devotee
FourtySixFour with Trailer Trash and (I'm going to get roasted for this) AnimeCon Harem
Erratic Errata, best known for Practical Guide to Evil
Mikasan with Magic Girl Gunslinger
Thundamoo, with Vigor Mortis
Muffinlance, with Fox's Tongue and Kirin's Bone

The list isn't exhaustive, and there's a real question of "What makes a good web novel, and what makes a good author?"