Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ooh thanks for the HD heads up. The brushless stick vac I have is good, even if the handle blows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
My 20 year old cordless Craftsman drill stinks whenever I pull the trigger now. Before you say "replace the brushes", I've already taken it apart. The motor is completely sealed.

Who makes good cordless stuff now? Something I'll still be able to get new batteries for in a few years is a plus.

Or should I wait for Father's Day?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

kid sinister posted:

My 20 year old cordless Craftsman drill stinks whenever I pull the trigger now. Before you say "replace the brushes", I've already taken it apart. The motor is completely sealed.

Who makes good cordless stuff now? Something I'll still be able to get new batteries for in a few years is a plus.

All the majors are good. DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Ryobi. Just buy the $99 home Depot memorial day deal for two Ryobi batteries plus your choice of tool. Ryobi uses that battery system in literally 200+ tools.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I still keep a corded drill around in a drawer regardless. Great to have a reliable backup.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

kid sinister posted:

Since you mention battery availability, consider that you can STILL buy brand new Nicad batteries for Dewalt 18v cordless tools, which came out like twenty years ago. Meanwhile Milwaukee and Makita have changed their battery platform at least twice in that same time period, meaning any tools that used the original batteries are no longer supported by the manufacturer.

That said, Ryobi makes decent tools at a good price and are currently on sale. Also consider that Rigid power tools have a lifetime warranty, even the batteries, and you can just swap any malfunctioning tools/batteries for new ones at the Home Depot.

Really, you can’t go wrong these days

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

UKJeff posted:

That said, Ryobi makes decent tools at a good price and are currently on sale. Also consider that Rigid power tools have a lifetime warranty, even the batteries, and you can just swap any malfunctioning tools/batteries for new ones at the Home Depot.

My Rigid drill put up with a ton of abuse for years before it died, if you made it that long with your old drill go to DTO and pick up a Rigid or Ryobi and save yourself some money.

Remember to register for the warranty.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Bought a cheap set of hammers and dollies, wasn't finished very nicely so I polished them up myself. Will have to see how it stands up to actual usage, the dollies look like they might be cast iron.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
Kind of off topic, but I’ve been disappointed at how much the latest Essential Craftsman YouTube videos seem to be about shilling whatever sponsor or product he’s selling. The latest thing he’s been pushing is his $250 sledge hammer :rolleyes:

It’s not as bad as some other YouTubers and I know all the content creators are trying to make a buck but man, his older videos are so good it’s extra disappointing to see him sell out. Wish he would have gone the AvE route and just have a patreon/merch store.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

UKJeff posted:

Since you mention battery availability, consider that you can STILL buy brand new Nicad batteries for Dewalt 18v cordless tools, which came out like twenty years ago. Meanwhile Milwaukee and Makita have changed their battery platform at least twice in that same time period, meaning any tools that used the original batteries are no longer supported by the manufacturer.

This may be different in the UK but that's not the case in the US, I suspect you're actually getting them confused with Ryobi who are the only tool company I'm aware of that maintained backward compatibility between their Lithium and old NiCad battery format. Sort of beside the point though because there's very few situations where its worth trying to use an old NiCad era tool. In this specific situation I don't actually think very many people would've considered saying "replace the brushes" in a NiCad era cordless drill, that thing is trash compared to modern tools.

At this point the only major company I'd give the side eye on the continued support of their 18v tool line is Makita and I say this as someone who got into their 18v ecosystem starting in 2018 to the tune of a couple thousand dollars and very much does not like what they've done with introducing their 40v line while letting their 18v batteries fall behind what Milwaukee and Dewalt have done.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Elem7 posted:

At this point the only major company I'd give the side eye on the continued support of their 18v tool line is Makita and I say this as someone who got into their 18v ecosystem starting in 2018 to the tune of a couple thousand dollars and very much does not like what they've done with introducing their 40v line while letting their 18v batteries fall behind what Milwaukee and Dewalt have done.

And on top of that, they raise prices across the board. I like my Makita 18v tools a lot, but with every 40v updated version starting to feel like I picked the wrong horse.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Dewalt has an official adapter that lets you run the newer lithium batts in older 18v tools, which seems like a good compromise to me.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

kid sinister posted:

Father's Day is always a good bet. If it's mainly for work, and you just want a drill that will stand up to abuse, you can't go wrong with Milwaukee or Makita. If you want a universal tool cosmos and still pretty decent quality, go with Ryobi. The number of things they've made for cordless now is absurd...and nice.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Dr. Habibi posted:

And on top of that, they raise prices across the board. I like my Makita 18v tools a lot, but with every 40v updated version starting to feel like I picked the wrong horse.

Great example of why I don't like batteries or battery eco systems or any of that poo poo. I have an impact driver and drill, each has it's own 18V batter and that's the extent of my cordless collection if I have anything to say about it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dr. Habibi posted:

Yeah you need forty volts for the microwave.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Despair posted:

Dewalt has an official adapter that lets you run the newer lithium batts in older 18v tools, which seems like a good compromise to me.

It's not. It's garbage. I blew up 2 of them (if you run something high current for long enough like a sawzall they literally explode internally) and also if you leave them connected to a battery it kills it, whether it's in a tool or not. And a couple of those batteries didn't come back even when I gave them the 'ol hot shot from a charged battery to get the charger to recognize them again.

The tools are so cheap it hardly matters. DeWalt's sales model is like disposable razor companies these days. Basically give away the handle/tool and overprice the consumables.

Their desperation to get people into the battery ecosystem with bundle deals that cost about the same as the two batteries they come with is why there are so many cheap brand new tools on ebay.

I didn't choose DeWalt so much as it was chosen for me because that's what most people around here have so it makes it easy to loan/borrow tools around.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

UKJeff posted:

I tried to find a new NiCad for my beloved 12v Panasonic drill 7 years ago when the last of the original batteries died. The guy at the shop where I bought it just chuckled when I asked about buying a replacement battery. Finally found an off-brand replacement on Amazon that lasted all of 8 months, but from there I got into the 12v Li-Ion Milwaukee line which has worked out okay.

Last year we inherited my inlaw's Greenworks lawnmower. Same poo poo, different decade. Somewhere along the line Greenworks changed the battery to something that is physically but not electrically compatible with their first generation 40v equipment. The only replacement Gen1 battery I could find was on Amazon @ $400 cdn. New Gen2 battery packs are $150 cdn. The near-new condition mower is scrap unless I take the chance of sending the old battery pack back to a place in Toronto to have it rebuilt.

I ended up with Makita 18v for tools big enough to need both hands thinking Makita would have a large enough user base that they'd be cautious about playing games like that. We'll see how that works out. Can't win, can't break even, can't quit the game. :capitalism:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I'd liken the "buy a battery, get a tool for free"-scheme more to printer companies and inkjets than disposable razor companies, but it certainly has lead to a rash of increasingly questionably useful cordless tools whose purpose seems to be largely generating revenue instead of fulfilling a genuine need.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Platystemon posted:

I want Ryobi to make one. It'll be half the price and eventually even cheaper on DTO.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Platystemon posted:

Although first reaction is wowsers, this seems very stupid to me. 2 8a 40volt batteries & charger ($900 later) to get 500w ain't gonna move the needle. Makita's going to be dumping these not too long from now.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

UKJeff posted:

Kind of off topic, but I’ve been disappointed at how much the latest Essential Craftsman YouTube videos seem to be about shilling whatever sponsor or product he’s selling. The latest thing he’s been pushing is his $250 sledge hammer :rolleyes:

It’s not as bad as some other YouTubers and I know all the content creators are trying to make a buck but man, his older videos are so good it’s extra disappointing to see him sell out. Wish he would have gone the AvE route and just have a patreon/merch store.

I've kind of kept him at arms length after his stanning of Jordan Peterson.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Ouch didn't know that. I stopped watching when I sent his video about garage door installation to a buddy of mine that installed them, and he told me that brand of door he was gushing over in the video are the most basic trash brand garage doors you can buy pretty much.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Does anyone make a fast cordless drill? I want 4-6,000 RPM. Why doesn't Milwaukee, say, make a small, fast M12 drill? It's like they cannot, will not release a drill that can't sink 3" deck screws.

This is to drill pilot holes in steel.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
They make an m12 right angle die grinder, just rig a drill bit into that

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Not surprising dude owns multiple framed portraits of Ron Paul.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Metabo BE 18 is 4000 rpm no-load speed.
Are they meant to be compatible with HiKoki/Hitachi? If so then at least you're not in some truly esoteric ecosystem.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Squibbles posted:

Ouch didn't know that. I stopped watching when I sent his video about garage door installation to a buddy of mine that installed them, and he told me that brand of door he was gushing over in the video are the most basic trash brand garage doors you can buy pretty much.

I think rhey were talking about AvE

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
AvE was big into the Freedom Convoy and China-Engineered-Virus bullshit and I had to stop watching him after that trash.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Motronic posted:

It's not. It's garbage. I blew up 2 of them (if you run something high current for long enough like a sawzall they literally explode internally) and also if you leave them connected to a battery it kills it, whether it's in a tool or not. And a couple of those batteries didn't come back even when I gave them the 'ol hot shot from a charged battery to get the charger to recognize them again.

The tools are so cheap it hardly matters. DeWalt's sales model is like disposable razor companies these days. Basically give away the handle/tool and overprice the consumables.

Their desperation to get people into the battery ecosystem with bundle deals that cost about the same as the two batteries they come with is why there are so many cheap brand new tools on ebay.

I didn't choose DeWalt so much as it was chosen for me because that's what most people around here have so it makes it easy to loan/borrow tools around.

Well that sucks, the short time I've used an adapter at work it was fine but we weren't pushing it terribly hard.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

SpartanIvy posted:

AvE was big into the Freedom Convoy and China-Engineered-Virus bullshit and I had to stop watching him after that trash.

His standard unit for small measurements was a dead giveaway years before that.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Metabo BE 18 is 4000 rpm no-load speed.
Are they meant to be compatible with HiKoki/Hitachi? If so then at least you're not in some truly esoteric ecosystem.

Great suggestion, thanks!

But $440 for the drill + small battery + charger is a lot. I am not quite angry enough with Milwaukee to invest that much in another battery ecosystem...yet.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

If it's a one off why not corded?

Now imagine if there was some kind of ANSI or DIN standard for batteries and cordless tools.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Now imagine if there was some kind of ANSI or DIN standard for batteries and cordless tools.

Eh, given what happened with EU mandating USB C for Phones, Tablets, and Cameras, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could mandate a single battery type for power tools.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Imagine if all you could use any 12V or 18V battery with any tool.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

BeAuMaN posted:

Eh, given what happened with EU mandating USB C for Phones, Tablets, and Cameras, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could mandate a single battery type for power tools.

Yeah it's what I was thinking of too.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

:psyboom:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

tbh the far more exciting thing than saving some money on tools and stuff would be third party companies making all kinds of fun things that run off these big dumb batteries in my garage

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fellatio del Toro posted:

tbh the far more exciting thing than saving some money on tools and stuff would be third party companies making all kinds of fun things that run off these big dumb batteries in my garage

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sounds like communism to me

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Sounds like communism to me

Not communism enough to work in reality since those are voluntary standards.

Apple et al. wouldn't go USB C until they were voluntold by the EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

It would probably be better to start with disposable batteries and get rid of C, D, 9V, 6V, and half of the coin/button cells, at least in new devices.
Also carbon-zinc chemistry.