Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

"Okay, Anime North is this weekend and I already have the PG Phenex coming in a few months, I can't just blow a whole bunch of money on more k-"

i may have a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

BisbyWorl posted:

"Okay, Anime North is this weekend and I already have the PG Phenex coming in a few months, I can't just blow a whole bunch of money on more k-"

i may have a problem

That's OK. We're here to enable you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Machinedramon is so badass

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

kirbysuperstar posted:

Machinedramon is so badass

Not as cool as Metal Greymon though, who is coming next. :v:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

TaurusOxford posted:

Not as cool as Metal Greymon though, who is coming next. :v:

Oh poo poo really? I don't have any particular love for War Greymon but Metal Greymon might look rad next to Machinedramon on my shelf.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah they announced it a couple weeks ago. Might not even have had to make a new claw arm, since Machinedramon's is from Metal Greymon to begin with.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Hi guys! I haven't done gunpla since high school (more than two decades ago. I'm so oooold), but I'm in Japan on vacation and just got back to my hotel room from a trip to The Gundam Base. I couldn't leave empty handed, so I picked up this store exclusive:

I'm really looking forward to putting it together when I get home. This thread has already helped by putting the idea of picking up a panel lining marker into my head. They didn't have such technology when I was putting together an old style Heavyarms with nothing but a pair of scissors and determination.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Qylvaran posted:

Hi guys! I haven't done gunpla since high school (more than two decades ago. I'm so oooold), but I'm in Japan on vacation and just got back to my hotel room from a trip to The Gundam Base. I couldn't leave empty handed, so I picked up this store exclusive:

I'm really looking forward to putting it together when I get home. This thread has already helped by putting the idea of picking up a panel lining marker into my head. They didn't have such technology when I was putting together an old style Heavyarms with nothing but a pair of scissors and determination.

Oh lord its a Real Grade. Have fun.

A panel lining marker. A cheap 6 grit type nail file from a drug store. A xacto if you are careful. Some cheap nippers. Once you finish up with that we'll get you into a nice pair of god hands and an air brush and a 4 year backlog.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Fat and Useless posted:

Oh lord its a Real Grade. Have fun.

A panel lining marker. A cheap 6 grit type nail file from a drug store. A xacto if you are careful. Some cheap nippers. Once you finish up with that we'll get you into a nice pair of god hands and an air brush and a 4 year backlog.

Not just that, a (remix of an) early RG too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wdarkk posted:

Not just that, a (remix of an) early RG too.

The RG Strike's a perfectly fine kit, it's not a cluster bomb like the Zaku and Grandpa.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Qylvaran posted:

I'm not trying to scare you, but you've chosen a kit that's not very beginner friendly.
No Bandai kits are genuinely difficult, it's more that as they increase in complexity they also increase in the amount of time and effort needed to get a decent finished product. You're also going to want better tools than a pair of scissors.
This kit is going to have a lot of tiny little pieces to fit onto a pre-made inner frame. Since you haven't done Gunpla since high school, the engineering will be miraculous.
It's also going to have lots of decals. Not 100% sure, it's possible it will have water slide type decals since it's a Gundam Base exclusive. It might just have regular sticker type decals. Either way, it will be A LOT and take a lot of fiddly time to get right.
You can also choose not to decal, Gunpla is freedom.
Panel lining is an excellent choice to bring out extra detail on the kit. It's also extra work and needs not just a marker but some swabs or Q-tips and lighter fluid or rubbing alcohol. It's also a technique you need to develop a bit, so don't loose hope if you first try doesn't go perfect.

If you go slow and stay patient, you're going to build one of the best type of kits you can choose. You will be hopelessly addicted like the rest of us immediately.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Fat and Useless posted:

A cheap 6 grit type nail file from a drug store. A xacto if you are careful. Some cheap nippers.

I've got this stuff and more from putting together some tiny, fiddly sheet metal models I received as a present about a year ago. I'm no stranger to precision assembly, just current gunpla.

I'm a little uncertain about the stickers (and they are stickers) on account of a small essential tremor, but I have tweezers and a lot of patience to help with that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/Kirbysuperstar/status/1663136214088818689

but the backlog still burns

anyway the gund-bit arrangement stuff is neat, I hope a sick Aerial MG/RG does cool poo poo with them

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Qylvaran posted:

I've got this stuff and more from putting together some tiny, fiddly sheet metal models I received as a present about a year ago. I'm no stranger to precision assembly, just current gunpla.

I'm a little uncertain about the stickers (and they are stickers) on account of a small essential tremor, but I have tweezers and a lot of patience to help with that.

Stop with the stickers whenever you want. There are a hojillion little red and white markings and by no means do you need to do them all to have a nice looking model. Also consider getting a Liquid Chrome or other metallic marker to use instead of the silver decals.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mindblast posted:

Oh poo poo, nice. I'm in NL so I'm going to have to look into how much it would actually cost to get here. Some goods can be transported easily and for others there's import costs.

Those are some really good price tags, jfc. Never thought I'd consider getting anything looking like a perfect grade because the prices always seemed absurd(150+ is a little much for me), but now...
Highjacking this comment: There are a few stores with decent enough prices in NL nowadays (considering they are already imported). I personally have good experience getting stuff from PlamoDX for example.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/seirei526/status/1663052516903489539

https://twitter.com/seirei526/status/1663052542044164097

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What I would give for ratchet joints on a gunpla, even Lego ones...

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

What I would give for ratchet joints on a gunpla, even Lego ones...

The Exodia model has ratcheting shoulder joints in order to support its huge arms, I hope they include that in more bulky models going forward.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Mega Size gunpla has ratchet joints. Not the best mobility or detail though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

man it's been a minute since they did a Mega Size. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll do big Aerial.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder if it's a matter of expense. I imagine it would be tricky to engineer sturdy enough ratchet joints on a 1/144 scale figure without using metal instead and then the metal could throw off the weight distribution if they didn't use more in the feet. And more metal would mean more expensive.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Anyone have the instructions for that LEGO?

Also, I’m building a Sakura Wars kit before something a bit more involved and these stickers are bananas.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

IG-88 posted:

Also, I’m building a Sakura Wars kit before something a bit more involved and these stickers are bananas.

Don't I know it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

man it's been a minute since they did a Mega Size. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll do big Aerial.

I'd be pretty surprised, especially after Mega Sized flopped with AGE.

Last time Bandai made a new mega, it was the Unicorn, which was a proven bestseller for nearly a decade in all scales, and the last mass released bigger-than-perfect-grade monstrosity was Mazinger, who's got a guaranteed nostalgia market. It's not something Bandai gives to new designs that much.

Add in economic factors discouraging big models(even MGs are getting rare now) and Aerial's Chogokin not selling nearly as well as its kits, and it seems even less likely.

(Still, they surprise me often enough anyway. Never expected Barbatos before anything UC in the MG SD line, for example.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/hobby_magazine/status/1663817589347307520?s=20

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/mecha_tho/status/1663696682813386754?t=jQU-LmDrEAsPT-BdddvwyA&s=19

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Excellent, another to add to my pile of various hanger bases.

I picked up a handful of these from some random no-name distributor a few months back.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802906097690.html

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Managed to not screw up scribing on a curved surface and added some color separation.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Been working on my Anime North haul while watching SGDQ.

Qubeley is one of my favorite mobile suit designs, but god I still find waterslide decals a pain to apply.

Also it has a pilot seat, but either I completely missed it or the Embellir just has no pilot figure to go with it.

The joints on this are really awkward, with most of them being soft balls that pop into sockets. The legs and feet in particular have a bad habit of popping out if I try mimic a game pose.

Also tried out some metallic gundam markers I got a while back on him. I'm not overly fond of how the gold turned out with a lot of noticeable rough patches, but I really like how the red looks.

Still have an HG Aerial and a Machinedramon to do after this, but tomorrow I have a display case coming in I have to make and I have plans for Friday so I'll probably start chipping away at those next week.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

New IBO suit

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

JoeGlassJAw posted:

RG hi-nu on sale for $35.99 as USAGS, do not sleep on this one, forget what that one poster said this is the best kit bandai ever made
https://www.usagundamstore.com/prod...T9s3bhJ_.QPkpvt

After getting lost in the mail over the weekend, my package finally arrived. Why is this box so damned big?

Thanks to that sale my backlog has doubled...to two kits

Funny coincidence, my wife's backlog also consists of one MG and one RG, one of which is a Hi Nu.

I think she talked me into getting in on this deal because the Hi Nu is my favorite suit and I keep threatening to steal her MG if she won't build it already.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

New IBO suit

Well, new kit, anyway. (Design's been around since '18.)

Unfortunately, it's P-Bandai, but expecting anything else for a minor antagonist's suit from a manga that got cancelled years ago would be pretty optimistic.

Cool design either way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a knights helmet with a mecha feather cap. Me like.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I wanna know what kit it is

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

fartknocker posted:

I wanna know what kit it is

I think it's an MG Unicorn Full Armor. From the size of the pieces and the number of runners we can assume it's an MG, the internal frame and Full Armor extra bits would account for all the dark grey, and the one white runner that's visible looks to me like parts of the Unicorn shield.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's got the Emotion Manipulator hands which narrows it down to like a half-dozen suits. The shield is white so it isn't the Sazabi or the Sinanju. Probably the Unicorn, Nu or Hi-Nu.

On that topic I've actually come to dislike the EMs quite a bit. They are super-fiddley to clean-up after cutting them out and if you gently caress up even a little and pop them out they lose grip instantly. I think I prefer the ones where they come as a trigger thumb, trigger finger and then set of three molded together.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 1, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What about Sinanju Stein? There's a lot of gray runners.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Nah I literally just finished a Stein yesterday and the shield is all wrong. B-)

Please buy and support the Sinanju Stein Ver Ka community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Wait, it has a base, it has a big, square base. Look on the far right, there's that big black square and you can see the page the manual is open to shows the same piece. What comes with a base that big?

edit: Found it, it's the MGEX Unicorn

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 1, 2023