Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Len posted:

I sent a print to my Ender 3v2 from Octoprint and it just shut off and has not turned back on. What trouble shooting steps should I try? I'm not sure how to tell if it's a power supply issue vs a motherboard issue

Does the S1 have a fuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BadMedic posted:

OK google is totally failing me on this

How the hell do I remove the heatbreak from the heater block?
I try to unscrew it but it's just not working.

Back out the tiny set screw than it will either unscrew or just slide out.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

BadMedic posted:

OK google is totally failing me on this

How the hell do I remove the heatbreak from the heater block?
I try to unscrew it but it's just not working.

Bondematt posted:

I think this is the video showing this.

https://youtu.be/MeQtTKjHpqw

edit. it looks like the set screw is out for you. can you twist the heater cartridge entirely around?

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

EVIL Gibson posted:

I think this is the video showing this.

https://youtu.be/MeQtTKjHpqw

edit. it looks like the set screw is out for you. can you twist the heater cartridge entirely around?

Nah the set screw is still in at the bottom of the heatsink, once that's removed the heatbreak should just fall out.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Bondematt posted:

Yeah that's what I did, but the heatsink just spins in place now.
I tried pulling it off but it wasn't budging
I tried pulling it off while heated too, but same deal.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Mine have always just unscrewed from the heat block, but I've also had them just get permanently stuck in there, as far as I could tell. I think in that case it was just a cheap ender 3 hot end and I replaced the whole thing.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

BadMedic posted:

Yeah that's what I did, but the heatsink just spins in place now.
I tried pulling it off but it wasn't budging
I tried pulling it off while heated too, but same deal.

Have you tried hitting it with a heatgun for a while? Maybe some molten plastic has welded it

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug

Opinionated posted:

Have you tried hitting it with a heatgun for a while? Maybe some molten plastic has welded it

I did try applying heat too but uhhh

I broke it trying to pull it off harder
... and the heatsink *still* refuses to come off of the heatbreak

so, about those all metal hotends...

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BadMedic posted:

RIP.

I've also had a stock ender do the same. It spun freely but I snapped the break trying to get it out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LightRailTycoon posted:

It’s likely 1 of:
Dead main board
Dead power supply
Short somewhere trips overcurrent protection.

Does the power supply fan spin up when you turn it on?
Can you disconnect everything from the power supply and see if it will spin up then?
Do you own a multimeter?

I can answer 1 and 3 easy enough. Nothing happens at all when I hit the on button and yes I do but I don't actually know how to use it.

Bondematt posted:

Does the S1 have a fuse?

I'm not sure what an S1 is

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

BadMedic posted:

Some companies will use threadlocker on their hot ends so there's really not much you can do about it. A lot of heat can sometimes do the trick but your result is more often than not what happens. Goondolences.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Len posted:

I'm not sure what an S1 is

Me having a brainfart mostly, another Ender 3 version.

E3V2 has a fuse in the plug, I'd check that first.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Hey! Remember that giant nasty meltdown my printer had?

I've had to do some digging around, but I finally found the culprit of the power-up failure - there's a little custom board used to act as a go-between for external and internal connectors for the controller, and it had a little 12V trace that overloaded and burned off the PCB like a fuse. A little solder jumper between the correct supply pin and the connector it goes to, and we're up and running again.

Here's the next few questions going forward:

The big one for me is about E3D - this used the Chimera hot end. I think it's been discontinued - E3D has it in this "Discontinued 2021 Sales" Page (https://e3d-online.com/collections/discontinued-products-21?page=1) But it isn't officially listed as discontinued anywhere, which is weird. Can I assume this thing is no longer around?

The fortunate news is that I have about 80% of the parts needed to fix the hotend - I'm missing the nozzles, but I have most of a kit from the LAST time this stupid thing shat the bed. Who knows after this though.

The other thing is - they made a "Pro" version of this printer about a year ago, upgrading it to a 32bit processor. GCreate's data dump they've left up seems to show they were using a BigTreeTech SKR3 (https://biqu.equipment/collections/control-board/products/bigtreetech-btt-skr-3-control-board-for-3d-printer) I like the idea of this because it at least means I have some pre-made firmware so I'm not having to go and figure out every goddamn thing about this as if I'm starting form scratch. Is it decent? a known thing?

My hesitation on all of this is I know given enough time, I can fix this, but how many hours is management going to let me burn? And if this becomes the Printer-of-Theseus, it means a person with specialized knowledge will always have to be here to keep it running. Is that worth it? That's a discussion for my boss.

This is from a day or two back but one alternative to original e3d parts, if they're out of stock and discontinued, would be to get a clone from trianglelab or somewhere. It may not have the same quality but I've had good luck with their parts.
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/2251832721923939.html

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

mattfl posted:

Let me know if that .6 works better for glow in the dark. My brother got a P1P a few weeks ago and just put some glow in the dark through it and I had to help him swap out his hotend because it clogged the stock nozzle so bad lol. He's like, well you said I can print any kind of PLA, you didn't say not to print glow in the dark...

Tested it out today with 3 glow in the dark PLAs and the Bambu PLA-CF sample (after printing feeder protectors for the AMS). One of the glow in the dark ones, a Tronxy rainbow filament that has regular color as well, clogged my .4. All four were fine on the .6.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

TVs Ian posted:

Bambu...clogged...All four were fine on the .6.

yeah i think i need to learn 0.6-fu because ive clogged three 0.4 hotends on my x1c with pa-cf

next order from bambu im picking up a couple elephant guns

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I've found a few materials that absolutely refuse to move through a 0.4. Had a really beautiful blue sparkle PLA that printed great for about 4 layers then clogged the hotend so bad I ended up just replacing the whole thing. It's an Ender, so poo poo's cheap to swap out.

Same reason I went ahead and ordered a 0.6 assembly for my X1-C.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Sexual Lorax posted:

yeah i think i need to learn 0.6-fu because ive clogged three 0.4 hotends on my x1c with pa-cf

next order from bambu im picking up a couple elephant guns

Yeah anything with chunks in it, you really want to be using the 0.6 (wood, carbon fill)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

AlexDeGruven posted:

I've found a few materials that absolutely refuse to move through a 0.4. Had a really beautiful blue sparkle PLA that printed great for about 4 layers then clogged the hotend so bad I ended up just replacing the whole thing. It's an Ender, so poo poo's cheap to swap out.

Same reason I went ahead and ordered a 0.6 assembly for my X1-C.

I've got a couple of glittery ones from Protopasta and one cheap sparkly no-name one (translucent black with a smallish amount of glitter) that worked on the .4, maybe the glitter is smaller on those. This stuff fed for half a temp tower, then clogged and got chewed up in the extruder, but was fine on the .6. It's also the only glow in the dark multicolor I've seen that's not whitish when not glowing, so who knows what's in it.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug

BadMedic posted:

Hey elegoo is sending me free replacements so that's nice
...10-20 day shipping is less nice, but free so whatever

And sidenote:
It's legit great that 3d printers are able to be fixed/modded/etc with tons of fairly cross-compatible parts.
But like, I have not seen any good resources on actually teaching any of this modding or repair. Like my Neptune 3 came with all the tools I need to fix and maintain it, which is great. But it didn't come with any instructions about using those tools, other than the initial assembly. And there is a ton of stuff out there on small individual topics, but it's just so fragmented.

BadMedic fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 30, 2023

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
In the same vein, if I want to get some different size nozzles, should I be looking at certain brands/types? For example Sovol sells a set of different size nozzles including .6 for the 6 Plus, but they're only in hardened steel. They only sell the .4 in brass. Is there a good reason they're only selling a .6 nozzle in hardened steel? Can I find some other brand that makes it in brass if I'm not printing anything but PLA?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Listerine posted:

In the same vein, if I want to get some different size nozzles, should I be looking at certain brands/types? For example Sovol sells a set of different size nozzles including .6 for the 6 Plus, but they're only in hardened steel. They only sell the .4 in brass. Is there a good reason they're only selling a .6 nozzle in hardened steel? Can I find some other brand that makes it in brass if I'm not printing anything but PLA?

Depends on what it takes. There are standard nozzle sizes that fit a lot of printers, but also some printers that use oddball unique ones.

It looks like most of the Sovols except the SV02 take MK8 nozzles, at least, according to their site. Those are super common. You can find them anywhere from dirt cheap brass (which may or may not shear off when trying to install or remove it) on up to ruby-tipped.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

TVs Ian posted:

Depends on what it takes. There are standard nozzle sizes that fit a lot of printers, but also some printers that use oddball unique ones.

It looks like most of the Sovols except the SV02 take MK8 nozzles, at least, according to their site. Those are super common. You can find them anywhere from dirt cheap brass (which may or may not shear off when trying to install or remove it) on up to ruby-tipped.

What does the MK8 designation mean though? Like, these nozzles https://www.amazon.com/Creality-Noz...ps%2C192&sr=8-3 are MK8, but they are significantly shorter than the nozzles that came with my SV06 Plus, which measure 23 mm from tip to end.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Listerine posted:

What does the MK8 designation mean though? Like, these nozzles https://www.amazon.com/Creality-Noz...ps%2C192&sr=8-3 are MK8, but they are significantly shorter than the nozzles that came with my SV06 Plus, which measure 23 mm from tip to end.

Your Plus uses something that's almost an E3D Volcano nozzle, but Sovol's is juuuuuust barely longer from the bottom end of the threads to the nozzle tip. If you install a normal Volcano nozzle, as normal people would generally want to do, then suddenly your part cooling fan duct will hit the bed before the nozzle does because the new one is juuuuuust barely too short.

The easy solution to this is to print a new, slightly shorter cooling duct:
https://www.printables.com/model/418096-sv06-plus-fan-duct-regular-volcano

My solution was to donate my SV06+ to my friend's maker space, just handed it off today as a matter of fact. It didn't do anything that my larger SV03 can't already do, and they'd been having a fundraiser to buy printers anyway, so I figured I'd help give them a leg up. And also make room for whenever I buy my next P1P or maybe an X1C.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

The initial batch of dual tool printers is scheduled to be shipped during the week of June 19th.

:lmao:

I literally forgot I pre-ordered the 5 head unit

When did I pre-order the XL? 2021? I honestly can't remember

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Kinda wishing I went wit the 5 head instead of 2, but hopefully it's not another 2 years before we get those separately too.

Hadlock posted:

November 2021, only a year and a half!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Thought it was my filament, but I'm seeing it on a couple different road so I'm a little lost on this failure issue on my mk3s

Getting some holes in the top layers of my prints, especially on flat surfaces. Surface quality is is also feeling pretty off, and I'm not sure if it's related.

More or less stock 0.2mm later height with a 0.6 nozzle, lightning/gyroid 5% infil

E: gently caress could it be the cooling? Fan underperforming with the 0.6?not even sure how I'd really test that

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 31, 2023

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Hadlock posted:

In March of last year, I was waffling between the Prusa XL and the Voron 2.4.

I went with the Voron. I think the multi head thing is awesome, but I am glad I have had a printer for the past year.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i've said it before and i'll say it again.

i really need to cancel my XL.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

Thought it was my filament, but I'm seeing it on a couple different road so I'm a little lost on this failure issue on my mk3s

Getting some holes in the top layers of my prints, especially on flat surfaces. Surface quality is is also feeling pretty off, and I'm not sure if it's related.

This helpers to me when printing stuff like that (flat ish surfaces with texture parallel to build plate) with lower infill. Adding or two top layers should resolve it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

w00tmonger posted:

More or less stock 0.2mm later height with a 0.6 nozzle, lightning/gyroid 5% infil

E: gently caress could it be the cooling? Fan underperforming with the 0.6?not even sure how I'd really test that

you've got 5% infill and what looks like 3 or so top layers. That's literally just a hole where the filament has nothing to attach to. Bump the infill up a bit.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Sockser posted:

you've got 5% infill and what looks like 3 or so top layers. That's literally just a hole where the filament has nothing to attach to. Bump the infill up a bit.

Trying this and top layers.... Was hoping to minimize infill but I think you guys are right and I was going a bit hard

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The issue is really with how large your top surface is. You can definitely get away with 5% for like, a statue or some such, where it wouldn't be trying to span so far, and you'd have more walls helping to support is, but 5%, especially lightning, on that large of a surface is definitely a recipe for trouble

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I've never had great luck with lightning infill in wide-open voids like that, even if the top layer doesn't have holes it's usually a little uneven because of the nature of the support

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Gyroid is cool in that the open space isn't broken up, but all those curves cause it to accelerate/decelerate over and over.

I lhave been using Adaptive Cubic in Superslicer, to get a good length of straightaways to allow my printer to hit good speeds given the accelerate/decelerate cost.

Perhaps try one of the more linear infill patterns to get infill and speed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The whole point of gyroid is that it's constant speed I thought

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hadlock posted:

The whole point of gyroid is that it's constant speed I thought

Gyroid is never at constant speed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The advantage of gyroid infill is that it's isotropic in three dimensions, which may have some implications for strength, and it forms a single connected volume, which may have some implications if you're filling it with liquid afterwards. Also it looks cool.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Also printing gyroid with zero walls provides a pretty cool vapor permeable wall :frogc00l:

I've done that a couple times to make enclosures that allow evaporation while still being a pretty solid wall.

Just put a modifier shape and set the modifier region to zero wall thickness. It seems like the sort of thing that should throw an error, but it doesn't.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I've considered using wall-less gyroid blocks for aquarium biological media, since it has such high surface area for a given volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

TerminalSaint posted:

I've considered using wall-less gyroid blocks for aquarium biological media, since it has such high surface area for a given volume.

I hadnt considered this, but this is smart as poo poo

Not sure about the surface area vs sponges or clay though, I feel like those would still fly ahead. Worth an experiment with the right setup though (and the right nozzle to avoid issues with copper exposure etc)