Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Stoca Zola posted:

My sister is at it again, her 15g tropical tank with its tetra and Cory inhabitants is no longer entertaining enough for her kids, they’ve browbeaten her into the idea of getting “a couple of goldfish” instead. I straight away told her the tank isn’t big enough and she said “Actually, I can fit two” so no idea where she’s getting her info from but it isn’t anywhere I would trust. Her tank is well planted and under stocked right now so she can get away with going a couple of months without a water change, I told her she will absolutely need to water change more often with goldfish but her eyes had glazed over already and I don’t think she was listening. Just realising now her filter isn’t going to be big enough either! And she doesn’t have room where her tank is to add a canister filter. She’s still in the mindset of “it’s just two fish” without the realisation that gold fish are not the same as pristella tetras. She’s going to give her existing fish to me at least, instead of flushing them.

Don't goldfish tend to murder plants? She is not thinking this through at all. You can't stock your tank based on the whims of children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Lareine posted:

Don't goldfish tend to murder plants? She is not thinking this through at all. You can't stock your tank based on the whims of children.

if i did that my tank would have like 10 axolotls in it

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

In this situation it is my sister that is the child - I think the actual children are more likely to do water changes than my sister is. I fully expect to have to rescue two goldfish in a year or two but before that, I'm going to be teaching those kids how to water change because there's no chance the fish will survive if it is up to my sister.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
gently caress that reminds me—I gotta go downsize my dad’s swordtail population

I’m gonna need at least two 10s or one 20-30, and I rly don’t know where I’m gonna set them up

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've had a mystery snail for almost four months. I love him. His name is Sned Asner.

I recently introduced a black devil snail, he's fine. He's lazy. His name is Patrick Snayze.

I also added a gold rabbit snail. I love him. He's a dumb little dink and falls over all the time and I giggle whenever he's poking his little snoot around. His name is Carl Snagan.

There's also a nerite named Linda Snamilton. He's whatever. See him once a week.

Since introducing the rabbit snail, the mystery snail is constantly trying to ... gently caress him? Strangle him? Eat him? Not sure what to do about that, or if I should just leave them alone. Rabbit snail attempting to drag a mystery snail 5x his size around the tank is pretty sad to watch, though.
He leaves the devil snail alone entirely. Has never one bothered him. Just the rabbit snail.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Mystery snails are horny gluttons. Real bulldozers too. They just shove stuff around in my tank all the time. I can't keep anubias or java fern attached to anything.

The most entertaining thing I've seen them do lately is climb up the jungle val leaves. Usually once they get near the surface, they're far enough along the leaf that it bends over, and lowers them back to the bottom. Like they're in a Kung fu movie, fighting on treetops, but in a super clumsy slow motion way.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
We added some panda cories a little under a week ago and they've been rooting around in the sand so much the entire floor is now even and smooth. :3:

That said, I hope they're getting food. We've been dropping in wafers and they mostly ignore them. Plus our amanos snap them up and carry them off to horde. I'm hoping they're still settling in a bit.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

z0331 posted:

We added some panda cories a little under a week ago and they've been rooting around in the sand so much the entire floor is now even and smooth. :3:

That said, I hope they're getting food. We've been dropping in wafers and they mostly ignore them. Plus our amanos snap them up and carry them off to horde. I'm hoping they're still settling in a bit.

Hope you get a population of benign sand bugs and worms. Fingers crossed for yah!

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

So my boyfriend has a 55gal freshwater tank with some skirt tetras, Cory cats and 3 dwarf gourami males. We recently added in one powder blue female gourami. Then we had an incident.

The biggest male gourami ate both of her eyes :magical: I don't know why he picked her when there's other males in there you'd think he'd be more aggressive towards but no he picked the only female to maim

I'm not sure what to do, I know with bettas a blind fish can still function pretty well with a feeder ring but I'm still feeling pretty lovely about it and not sure if euthanizing is the better option.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hypoallergenic cat breed posted:

So my boyfriend has a 55gal freshwater tank with some skirt tetras, Cory cats and 3 dwarf gourami males. We recently added in one powder blue female gourami. Then we had an incident.

The biggest male gourami ate both of her eyes :magical: I don't know why he picked her when there's other males in there you'd think he'd be more aggressive towards but no he picked the only female to maim

I'm not sure what to do, I know with bettas a blind fish can still function pretty well with a feeder ring but I'm still feeling pretty lovely about it and not sure if euthanizing is the better option.

Gouramis, especially males, are often (usually?) hostile to gouramis of other species independent of sex

I’d definitely pull the injured female out of the tank if you haven’t done so already, and she’ll probably have to spend the rest of her life in a solitary tank

If she’s not doing well on her own then yeah, I’d probably consider euthanasia next

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've been obsessed lately with this guy that turned an old rain cistern into an underground eel pit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4hiokLpmuQ

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Enos Cabell posted:

I've been obsessed lately with this guy that turned an old rain cistern into an underground eel pit.

this is sick

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I successfully moved my betta! I had the advantage of having a week where I had both apartments, and during that time I set up the new 10 gallon tank in the new apartment. I moved the decorations from the 5 gallon tank to the 10 gallon tank during the week in a 5 gallon bucket I got from Lowe's. I then added some quick start and let it cycle for a week while the move date approached. On the day of the move I pumped two gallons of water from the 5 gallon aquarium back into the Lowe's bucket and put the fish in, and transported him like that. After I got him to the new place I put him and some tank water in a baggy, and put it in the new tank for thirty minutes to acclimate temperature wise before putting him in. He's been swimming happily around his new home, barren as it is (just decorations, no plants) and seems to be more active than he was in the 5 gallon tank.

It was nerve wracking and I was only moving a single fish. I don't know how people move way more at a time than that. Now I just need to go and get more aquasoil to completely cover the bottom of this tank and plant some more plants for him to swim in. Maybe some corys and a snail or two to act as a clean up crew and help out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Parrot feather is a superior rice fish pond plant, because it occupies the same top 1.5" of the water column as the rice fish. Also grows amazing, the roots grow horizontally giving you a nice mat of pond plant mass

In two weeks I have twice as much plant cover on the parrot feather as I do the water hyacinth in six weeks

Fish egg hatched

Found a second rice fish egg

Both are living in about 2x9x11" of water, seem pretty happy

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
That's a reason why parrot's feather is so popular. That's also a reason why it's illegal in like half the states and the European Union.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Goldfish question: If I still have a good patch of duckweed in the tub, can I take that as an indication that the goldfish are fed sufficiently?
Ie, they haven't eaten all of it, they're certainly not starving?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lareine posted:

That's a reason why parrot's feather is so popular. That's also a reason why it's illegal in like half the states and the European Union.

Yeah, I just checked and it's banned in my state. Shame, it looks really cool.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sockser posted:

Since introducing the rabbit snail, the mystery snail is constantly trying to ... gently caress him? Strangle him? Eat him? Not sure what to do about that, or if I should just leave them alone. Rabbit snail attempting to drag a mystery snail 5x his size around the tank is pretty sad to watch, though.
He leaves the devil snail alone entirely. Has never one bothered him. Just the rabbit snail.

I'm pretty sure but not for certain that this snail is now fuckin dead.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fishy not looking good. Typically these guys are beer bottle green or darker olive color. He has a weird string of fuzzy white stuff attached to his side (not butt) with a kind of sac at the end, doesn't seem to match any fish sickness photos I've been able to find. Here is he resting on some roots, looks really tired

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Wonder if that’s physical injury, if these guys are outdoors you could get dragonfly nymphs which could definitely have a go at a rice fish and do some damage. Colour change and behaviour change are usually stress related and being injured is pretty stressful. Do you have anything you could use for a hospital tank, or at least something to get a better look at what is going on?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sockser posted:

I'm pretty sure but not for certain that this snail is now fuckin dead.

I called it today.

Rip Carl Snagan. You lived an entire week before you were probably killed by the mystery snail

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Fishy not looking good. Typically these guys are beer bottle green or darker olive color. He has a weird string of fuzzy white stuff attached to his side (not butt) with a kind of sac at the end, doesn't seem to match any fish sickness photos I've been able to find. Here is he resting on some roots, looks really tired

RIP fishy :negative:

Didn't see him again after this photo was taken, got busy with family stuff (and it's really hard to keep track of individual fish in a school in a pond situation), was looking for a lilly rhyzome and found him behind some rocks :(

I think the neighbor's cat jumped into the pond, knocked over a bunch of poo poo trying to get out, everything was askew about 2 days before I found him like that

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Couple days ago I noticed one of my female rice fish rubbing up against my water hyacynth, pulled it out saw it had at least two, then saw another five or six eggs on it so threw it in a pot I'd been acclimating my water lotus plant in and had probably sufficiently "cycled". That was about 4 days ago, pulled the water hyacynth pulled at least six eggs off it into the water and put it back in my main tank/pond thing

Secondary "tank" or bucket is a ~20 gallon plastic planter I kind of use as an emergency backup supply of water or whatever, with a couple of pond plants in there, is kind of modeled after this. Hoping the fish hatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vogEuCaYrmE&t=55s

My, what I can only guess are 4 females, are absolutely bursting with eggs every day

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

huh you’re a lot younger than I thought

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Dude, I love Ryo's enthusiasm for this stuff, and his chill style.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah he's pretty chill, his aunt and uncle seem to have figured out a good system

After that post I picked through the "lucky" water hyacinth and pulled another four eggs off and put them in my baking dish in the kitchen with some java moss and water lettuce, I think at this point I've harvested like 10+ eggs

Ordered more sponge filters, turns out the ones I'm using are rated for 10 gallons and I've got 150 gallons. Ordered 50 gal sponges this time. Going to get a 10 gallon tank tomorrow and set it up with one of my cycled sponges and transfer the "indoor" eggs to the new fry tank and keep harvesting eggs as I have time. Would like to add 10 new rice fish to the main pond by end of summer

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i am envious of those eggs! never had luck with my ricefish blooming with them.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hadlock posted:

After that post I picked through the "lucky" water hyacinth and pulled another four eggs off and put them in my baking dish in the kitchen with some java moss and water lettuce, I think at this point I've harvested like 10+ eggs

Devoid of context, it sure sounds like a gourmet salad you're making.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Harvested a dozen additional eggs from my lucky hyacinth, those went into this tray of water. Apparently you can set the eggs on wet peat moss in the air and they'll hatch, the bar is pretty low. I do a 50% water change every two or three days. Apparently you can leave them in chlorinated water, the chlorine doesn't attack stuff inside the egg, supposedly and helps keep down fungus

Not all the eggs I know of are in this photo

Wider shot

Also found four more eggs on another plant, threw those in the outdoor pot which has a couple random smaller pond plants

I think hatch rate is really high but from what I've read fry mortality rate is ~50% so we'll see. My sponge filter arrives tomorrow so I'll transfer them to the 10 gallon then

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I made a floating plant coral out of air line and Lego. I was just making rings with air line and straight connectors, then using air line holder suction cups to keep them in place but I wanted to make a much larger area and have it raise and lower easily while doing water changes so the plants don't escape. It works pretty well, though it does occasionally require a quick tap of the finger to free it as it slides up/down during a water change.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

^^^^ That's really cool.

My FW angelfish has very long, stringy but NOT clear poops. They are reddish and brown. I've tried googling but keep getting results for clear or white fish poops. He otherwise seems healthy. Any ideas if this is related to the weird parasite problems I've had in the past or normal angelfish stuff? I don't have a ton of experience with them. I treated the tank weekly with PraziPro for the last month so I'd like to see any parasite issues are now nuked.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've only seen red poops from feeding red food like any of the color enhancing bright red foods, and usually only from greedy overeating fish where the food is just going straight through because they're eating way more than they need and it isn't even digesting properly. I don't know if angelfish are greedy like that, what's his attitude at dinnertime?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Stoca Zola posted:

I've only seen red poops from feeding red food like any of the color enhancing bright red foods, and usually only from greedy overeating fish where the food is just going straight through because they're eating way more than they need and it isn't even digesting properly. I don't know if angelfish are greedy like that, what's his attitude at dinnertime?
HahahA. Female guppies passing half a leaf of spinach, seemingly without chewing.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Stoca Zola posted:

He is a pig, only limited by having to dodge the Festivum's occasional charges.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

He is a pig, only limited by having to dodge the Festivum's occasional charges.

there’s the Festivum and there’s the rest of ‘em

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not exactly fish, but fish adjacent. Bee Island. The bees just LOVE this island. They're obsessed with the moss.

Fish

Can confirm fish like hotdog

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

One of my two cherry shrimp died after moulting in the fry tray

Put 1/3 pond water, 2/3 dechlorinated tap water in 10 gallon fry tank two days ago, put cycled sponge filter in for 2 hours, slowly added tank water over an hour or so to fry dish, let it sit an hour, added fry dish to tank

Second cherry shrimp died about an hour ago

Actually exchanged cherry shrimp at Petco thinking I'd done everything right, it's hanging out on the sponge filter. Hopefully I did an ok job acclimating this third cherry shrimp :ohdear:

Water parameters seem within reason based on my pool chem strips.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Sorry to hear that. Cherry shrimp are super super sensitive to changes but once they are acclimated they are like cockroaches. I usually use airline tubing and a regulator to drip in water over 4-5 hours. Also sometimes they just like to off themselves and theres nothing you can do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

there’s the Festivum and there’s the rest of ‘em

New thread title, imho.

E: Anyone else having trouble finding bleach that doesn't have any COLORGUARD/NO-SPLASH/FRESH SCENT additives?

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 10, 2023