Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

VS Halfway to Black Friday sale is live

Piotr Szulkin's Apocalypse Tetralogy (Golem, War of the Worlds: Next Century, O-bi O-ba: The End of Civilization, and Ga-Ga: Glory to the Heroes)

The standard edition of this just sold out (slipcover one’s still available). Fastest new seller of the sale and it’s definitely going to make them want to do more stuff like this :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I went back for a few more things… I’m weak…

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Chris James 2 posted:

The standard edition of this just sold out (slipcover one’s still available). Fastest new seller of the sale and it’s definitely going to make them want to do more stuff like this :hellyeah:

The non-slip cover was sold out yesterday when I checked, I bit the bullet on the slipcase version with 30 minutes left of the sale because I got paid slightly earlier than usual. Thank gently caress I didn't have time to browse the full site otherwise I'd have spent too much.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
I presume this is the restored director's cut because I can't imagine there being much demand for the theatrical cut in 4K.

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1663509154454011906?t=DkWLsyQzJJjBIamgmauNnQ&s=19

e: was anyone clamoring for this on Blu-ray?

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1663511060920381441?t=hK99AB37fDglwlvDO8T5nw&s=19

SilentChaz fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 30, 2023

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Inject it right into my veins

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1663512706345730048

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1663514522110312450?t=ie3jkeCFJu1TPSlwqXNDAA&s=19

:hellyeah:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

SilentChaz posted:

I presume this is the restored director's cut because I can't imagine there being much demand for the theatrical cut in 4K.

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1663509154454011906?t=DkWLsyQzJJjBIamgmauNnQ&s=19

If this is the Director's Cut it will make a fine addition to my Favorite Movies shelf.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Obv wait to order/preorder anything before specs/full details are revealed officially and all, but that said,

SilentChaz posted:

the side says 4-disc set, I'd find it hard to believe there's only the theatrical version on each format

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Would not surprise me if the 4k is only theatrical but a blu of the directors cut is included.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that is often how things go unless they find film elements or HD elements they can upscale like they did with the Dawn of the Dead '04 UHD.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Makes perfect sense to me. Once I know the details I'll decide. I don't own any physical copy of the movie yet at all but if I'm gonna splash out for a nice looking one I want it at least to be the version I actually love.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

MacheteZombie posted:

Would not surprise me if the 4k is only theatrical but a blu of the directors cut is included.
Gotta leave something for the next Super Special Edition release.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I forget, is there a completely different ending between the theatrical cut and the director's cut?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

ruddiger posted:

I forget, is there a completely different ending between the theatrical cut and the director's cut?

Completely different, yes. The director's cut changes the fate of a certain character, for one, and it's for the better.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ah, now I'm remembering, the director's cut is about the priest going all nightbreed, and the theatrical cut is Decker waking up on the cross, I really liked the theatrical cut ending even though it was studio mandated.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i have a lot of love for the Nightbreed theatrical cut even though the expanded cut is inarguably a more "complete" version

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well it's that time of year where the Halloween season releases start to get filled out.

The Exorcist 4k has been added to bluray.coms release calendar for September. It's the 50th anniversary of the film this year so I'm gonna probably have a October bonus challenge centered around that.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Huge Troma flash sale just went up at Oldies.com: https://www.oldies.com/Troma-Flash-Sale/collection.cfm

Edit: In case you're wondering what to order, obligatory recommendation of Hectic Knife and BC Butcher, both made by friends of mine (but I'd recommend them even if that weren't the case).

Also the documentary Jefftowne is great.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 31, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Is that a real website?

Are those real movies?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

This thread is bad for my health. Do I need a Return to Nuke Em High Vol. 1 Blu-ray? Perhaps not. But how can I say no to that radioactive green case!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

codyclarke posted:

Huge Troma flash sale just went up at Oldies.com: https://www.oldies.com/Troma-Flash-Sale/collection.cfm

O poo poo! Now I need to figure out what gaps i actually want to fill and what I don't care about

Other than filling out the class of nukem high 2 & 3 / return to, what else am i missing that's obvious and necessary for a good troma collect? I don't think I've already watched anything that i don't already have in my collect. I'd be interested in stuff up to maybe year 2000 if anyone had any callouts on something classic im missing!

e: gently caress. I guess that was $200 lmao

Sniep fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 30, 2023

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Gripweed posted:

Is that a real website?

Yes.

Gripweed posted:

Are those real movies?

Nnnng.... Erm... Well. They do contain motion video you can play back at your leisure.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I thought Mother's Day was pretty interesting, and Lust For Freedom is fun too.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What a cool looking set! The Films:

quote:

•LADY OF STEEL
•BROTHERS FIVE
•THE CRIMSON CHARM
•THE SHAWDOW WHIP
•THE DELIGHTFUL FOREST
•THE DEVIL'S MIRROR
•MAN OF IRON
•THE WATER MARGIN
•THE BRIDE FROM HELL
•HEROES TWO
•THE FLYING GUILLOTINE
•THE DRAGON MISSLE

Only seen a few of these but it looks like a better lineup that vol 1. It will be nice to have the first Flying Guillotine considering that only 88 Films' release of Part 2 is easily available.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Goddamnit I cannot withstand two separate boutique labels putting out giant Shaw Bros box sets at the same time

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Obv wait to order/preorder anything before specs/full details are revealed officially and all, but that said,

the side says 4-disc set, I'd find it hard to believe there's only the theatrical version on each format

I was right. 4K theatrical, bluray theatrical and directors and an extra special features disc https://shoutfactory.com/collection...=40170222452870

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Cliffhanger steelbook and People Under the Stairs just arrived. Watching tonight!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

I was right. 4K theatrical, bluray theatrical and directors and an extra special features disc https://shoutfactory.com/collection...=40170222452870

:getin:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Just got the strangest warning from my blu-ray player. I put in the new Shout ‘People Under the Stairs’ UHD in the drive and it gave me “this disc does not play in this region” warning which I did have it set for a different region but theoretically it shouldn’t matter since it’s a UHD…

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I'm going to wait on this one -- when Shout Factory released the 20th anniversary bluray, region 2 got a superior 88 Films release with exclusive extras including a director commentary.

I can't imagine this ever actually happening, but I'd love a feature commentary on this movie from actual 1990s hackers, people like Kevin Mitnick, Kevin Poulsen, Eric "Emmanuel Goldstein" Corley (who has a character named after him in the film). Goldstein's "Off The Hook" radio show is still on the air and still manages to be interesting and funny -- I bet those guys would have a really good time doing something like that.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

This Is the Zodiac posted:

I'm going to wait on this one -- when Shout Factory released the 20th anniversary bluray, region 2 got a superior 88 Films release with exclusive extras including a director commentary.

I can't imagine this ever actually happening, but I'd love a feature commentary on this movie from actual 1990s hackers, people like Kevin Mitnick, Kevin Poulsen, Eric "Emmanuel Goldstein" Corley (who has a character named after him in the film). Goldstein's "Off The Hook" radio show is still on the air and still manages to be interesting and funny -- I bet those guys would have a really good time doing something like that.

Yeah I'd love something like that, especially since Corley was a consultant on the movie too. I wanna say I've read stuff in that vein in 2600 over the years, at least.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

Just got the strangest warning from my blu-ray player. I put in the new Shout ‘People Under the Stairs’ UHD in the drive and it gave me “this disc does not play in this region” warning which I did have it set for a different region but theoretically it shouldn’t matter since it’s a UHD…

It might actually be region locked, UHDs typically haven't been up to now but maybe Shout Factory is starting to do it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah I think this might be another "accidental" region lock on their part.

https://twitter.com/TheDiscFather/status/1663923171165343744?s=20

Steelbook for you righteous dudes out there.

dorium fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 31, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I just had the idea of someone who's really into physical media, has tons of Criterion and Arrow blurays, subscribes to Vinegar Syndrome, has a region-free player and imports a ton of stuff, always keeps the slips, etc, but stores his entire collection on like 50 of these

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Gripweed posted:

I just had the idea of someone who's really into physical media, has tons of Criterion and Arrow blurays, subscribes to Vinegar Syndrome, has a region-free player and imports a ton of stuff, always keeps the slips, etc, but stores his entire collection on like 50 of these

i'm even worse. they don't even get displayed they just go into the storage unit

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That poo poo should get you sent to The Hague

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That poo poo should get you sent to The Hague

It's not alphabetical, either.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
My favourite part of physical media is ripping it into digital storage, throwing away part of it, and shrink-wrapping the rest to go into storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Serial killer behavior.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m about to watch my Tremors vhs tape which just arrived from Japan.