Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Fecha posted:

obnoxious losers overhearing crucial deep lore secrets and ferrying them to whoever needs to hear for plot reasons: only two nickels, but it’s weird it happened twice

In the same chapter no less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Looks like we'll get an answer about what's happening soon. If I'm reading the chapter right, Cobra was stabbed by an attack coming from his left side (the arrow looking tail thing), which is Jaygarcia Saturn was standing. Unless I'm reading it wrong and that was Imu's attack? It's hard to tell with everything going on and some stuff being obscured.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

No Wave posted:

So there are 19 swords but Lily's is upstairs in Imu's room? If Lily is a D it sounds like she can't be Imu. So Imu is someone else entirely?

Yeah, Imu = Lily was just a wild theory from literally last chapter. There was never any evidence for it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hatty posted:

lmao

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Begemot posted:

Yeah, Imu = Lily was just a wild theory from literally last chapter. There was never any evidence for it.

I'm still rooting for Amazon Lily being where she ran to after getting made public enemy #1

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I assume Imu was the former leader of another nation given that Cobra mentioned hearing their name among those of the original 20. The theory of them receiving the immortality operation from a previous user of the Op-Op fruit could still hold water though.

Maybe they were Lily’s brother or something and that’s partially why they’re so pissed at her specifically

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Marluxia posted:

Geez you people. You're all overthinking it.

The Gorosei are real and both Imu and them are just shadowed so that we can get a proper surprise when someone fights them for real.

Kaido and Big Mom got the same treatment, are they shadow puppets of Imu too????

It's this and also that we're getting this story after the fact from Sabo's perspective and he probably didn't get a very clear look at all the crazy monsters that showed up in the 15 seconds he was in the room but then that's also just convenient

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Larryb posted:

I assume Imu was the former leader of another nation given that Cobra mentioned hearing their name among those of the original 20. The theory of them receiving the immortality operation from a previous user of the Op-Op fruit could still hold water though.

Maybe they were Lily’s brother or something and that’s partially why they’re so pissed at her specifically

If they were Lily's brother, why would they also be one of the 20 kings? Would they also not have represented Alabasta?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

If they were Lily's brother, why would they also be one of the 20 kings? Would they also not have represented Alabasta?

Good point, though if they were one of the 20 kings I’m curious then how they managed to upgrade to sitting at the top of the world (and why they have Lily’s sword in their personal chamber)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 31, 2023

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Reading Cobra's final words all I can think of is the Tenacious D "We are the D, We are the D, We are the D, We are the D"

e: I'm guessing Imu convinced all the kings that the D Kingdom are a threat to the world and must be stopped . Once they took over Imu reveals his true plan of becoming immortal, taking control of the kingdom's super weapon and thus the world. Everyone who helped him and would keep his secret got to live as gods in return.

How did Lili accidently scatter stones all over the world though? Sounds like she's the OG paw-paw user.

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 31, 2023

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Marluxia posted:

The Gorosei are real and both Imu and them are just shadowed so that we can get a proper surprise when someone fights them for real.

Kaido and Big Mom got the same treatment, are they shadow puppets of Imu too????

Oh yeah, it's 100% this, I just wanted to do some wanton speculation because the idea popped in my head while I was reading.

Guy A. Person posted:

hmmmm if you're talking about the lines emanating from the bottom of the panel, I feel like those are action lines, like perhaps Imu either looked up or got up suddenly due to the action (you see similar lines on the surrounding panels)
I meant all those white lines look to me like a veil, draped over their head. But I also see what you're saying and you're probably right.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

hatty posted:

:nice:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Sub Harrison posted:

Reading Cobra's final words all I can think of is the Tenacious D "We are the D, We are the D, We are the D, We are the D"

e: I'm guessing Imu convinced all the kings that the D Kingdom are a threat to the world and must be stopped . Once they took over Imu reveals his true plan of becoming immortal, taking control of the kingdom's super weapon and thus the world. Everyone who helped him and would keep his secret got to live as gods in return.

How did Lili accidently scatter stones all over the world though? Sounds like she's the OG paw-paw user.

If so, maybe this is knowledge that Kuma has somehow. It would be one way to explain why we had this huge delay before we see what Bonney saw in his memories.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Larryb posted:

Thats what I mean tho 19 swords means everyone except lily swore subservience and stayed. So the one missing sword has to be Lily's, meaning Imu woildnt be one of these 20 people.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

JuniperCake posted:

If so, maybe this is knowledge that Kuma has somehow. It would be one way to explain why we had this huge delay before we see what Bonney saw in his memories.

the last stone is at mary geoise and the inherited will of lily was passed through the paw paw fruit. kuma is trying to reclaim and scatter the last stone.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

No Wave posted:

Thats what I mean tho 19 swords means everyone except lily swore subservience and stayed. So the one missing sword has to be Lily's, meaning Imu woildnt be one of these 20 people.

Though Cobra specifically said in this chapter that one of those 20 people was also named Imu (but I suppose they could merely be using the name of one of the former rulers)

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

No Wave posted:

Surely no one would just.. lie like that??? Say they don't want to be the ruler and give up a symbol, when in reality they do??????

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Marluxia posted:

Surely no one would just.. lie like that??? Say they don't want to be the ruler and give up a symbol, when in reality they do??????
Sure but there's a sword, presumably Imu's sword, in the butterfly room. I guess Imu could have placed Lily's sword in front of the throne and reclaimed their own sword.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Was it explicitly pointed out that Lily did not give up her sword? I know there was a whole conversation about there only being 19 swords, but this problem is solved neatly if we assume Lily did, and the one who didn't give up their sword was Imu.

Or all 20 in fact did give up their swords, but after Imu became immortal and everyone else died of old age, Imu just picked it back up.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Imu is actually " I, Mu," because they ate the Nothing-Nothing fruit ("mu"), which lets you remove light and objects from existence

e:I know how similar this sounds to the Darkness fruit

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 31, 2023

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

"Without that blunder there would be no pirates chasing poneglyphs in pursuit of treasure either!"

Aha so love this little bit of something that has been in plain sight, chasing after the One Piece causes pirates to look for Poneglyphs, which just so happen to also contain vital historical information. Well played, Joyboy!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bisse posted:

"Without that blunder there would be no pirates chasing poneglyphs in pursuit of treasure either!"

Aha so love this little bit of something that has been in plain sight, chasing after the One Piece causes pirates to look for Poneglyphs, which just so happen to also contain vital historical information. Well played, Joyboy!

Jeez in that case the WG should just turn Raftel into an amusement park and tell everyone where it is.

Ronnz
Mar 6, 2010

Excelzior posted:

Imu is actually " I, Mu," because they ate the Nothing-Nothing fruit ("mu"), which lets you remove light and objects from existence

Honestly my thought too, Imu being a literal void-monster fits really well in my opinion.

Like, a stronger version of the Yami-Yami No Mi without having a second devil fruit, so it wouldn't devalue Blackbeard completely either.

It would also explain them not being able to stop Sabo, can't exactly go all out and just delete Pangea Castle.

Or Imu just legitimately comes from outer space and ate the Space Space fruit, literally allowing them to control space around them. :v:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Bisse posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/13n31ep/what_is_one_piece/

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Marluxia posted:

Yup this was my interpretation too. They probably all have like mythical Zoans or Logias but they’re not shadow people or anything. I’m not sure we even see Imu transform, I can only see 5 distinct shadows.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

RatHat posted:

Yup this was my interpretation too. They probably all have like mythical Zoans or Logias but they’re not shadow people or anything. I’m not sure we even see Imu transform, I can only see 5 distinct shadows.
One of them seems to be coming down from the throne so it really feels like that one is imu. But you're right its weird that there are 5.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

No Wave posted:

One of them seems to be coming down from the throne so it really feels like that one is imu. But you're right its weird that there are 5.

Maybe one of the Elders has a paramecia so he’s pouting offscreen because he can’t transform

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

One Piece rules :hellyeah:

NEFERTARI D. LILI :tviv:

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

lmfao at sadbo

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

One Piece Manga Thread: Sa "D" Bo

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ronnz posted:

Honestly my thought too, Imu being a literal void-monster fits really well in my opinion.

Like, a stronger version of the Yami-Yami No Mi without having a second devil fruit, so it wouldn't devalue Blackbeard completely either.

It would also explain them not being able to stop Sabo, can't exactly go all out and just delete Pangea Castle.

Or Imu just legitimately comes from outer space and ate the Space Space fruit, literally allowing them to control space around them. :v:

maybe Imu is a void creature / alien, and the dark-dark fruit is the result of someone dreaming they could be like him - hence why it is the most evil fruit

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

JahRoo posted:

lmfao at sadbo

Sadboy and Joyboy

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

one of the five elder stars is just like a screaming head. it looks like there are only 5 blobs because he's hidden between horned saturn and bald reptilian sword guy. i assume that design is just far from finished.

the one coming down from the throne is imu, you can also see them shapeshift their head into a chain-chomp to eat sabo's fire attack

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

notwithyourheart posted:

one of the five elder stars is just like a screaming head. it looks like there are only 5 blobs because he's hidden between horned saturn and bald reptilian sword guy. i assume that design is just far from finished.

the one coming down from the throne is imu, you can also see them shapeshift their head into a chain-chomp to eat sabo's fire attack

Ah, I see it. It’s more obvious in the panel when Sabo is running, there are 6 sets of eyes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sabo blowing up the Gorosei, getting a good look at Imu, and living to tell the tale is a really fun development for him. Before he was just a cool strong high ranking member of the Revolutionary Army. Now he's someone who personally hosed directly with the most powerful people in the world. Good for him. I hope he keeps making powerful people mad.

Larryb posted:

Though Cobra specifically said in this chapter that one of those 20 people was also named Imu (but I suppose they could merely be using the name of one of the former rulers)
He said that in the much more... flavorful TCB scan. Not in the lovely, but more literal scan from a few minutes earlier. Japanese implies a lot of things and just judging by the two translations I think he probably said something like, "That name is familiar... the 20 founding kings..." which is how you would say "I recognize that name as being the name of one of the 20 founding kings" in Japanese, but it doesn't necessarily mean that. I can't get the first scan to load now and I don't know Japanese well enough to figure it out from the raw, but TCB takes a lot of liberties these days, like Imu's ridiculously way of speaking and deciding to call Lily "Lili". It makes for a coherent and good scan to read, but I would make a point to not hang on every exact word of their translation.

It could be that Imu was the name of someone the 20 founding kings rejected for whatever reason.

Or else the story that we just learned about Lily's sword not being there was a lie, and she did put her sword there, and Imu didn't.

Or Imu put his sword there and the sword just... doesn't matter? And he's playing with Lily's sword in his room?

All three of those scenarios seem kind of awkward, to be honest. Not sure what's going on.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

No Wave posted:

There are five shadowy monsters, one for each of the Elder Stars. Imu is the big eyes in the background of the page on the right.

They actually become shadowy silhouettes on the previous page, when Sabo launches his attack, which is a fun bit of visual continuity. This would also explain why the giant/umibozu one is up on the throne area, he jumped backwards to get out of the fire:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Crosspeice posted:

One Piece Manga Thread: Sa "D" Bo

I choose to believe this means Oda is aware of the Ba "D" Dog post.

Begemot posted:

There are five shadowy monsters, one for each of the Elder Stars. Imu is the big eyes in the background of the page on the right.

They actually become shadowy silhouettes on the previous page, when Sabo launches his attack, which is a fun bit of visual continuity. This would also explain why the giant/umibozu one is up on the throne area, he jumped backwards to get out of the fire:

So basically Imu still hasn't shown off anything

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

Begemot posted:

am i alone in seeing it like this

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

So basically Imu still hasn't shown off anything
Was that first arrow attack Imu? None of the Gorosei had transformed even after that.

notwithyourheart posted:

am i alone in seeing it like this
The two menacing eyes look like they could be Imu in that 2nd panel, but it'd be a bit odd of one of the five elders was just shown as their shoulder in the first ever hint at their true power.

But it is a pretty distinctly different shape actually. Maybe you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

if the big one is the screaming blob he's got his rear end right in imu's face and needs to back off imo