Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

the twitch drops are available now by the way. you can just bring up a twitch streamer and mute them and still earn the drops.
It's even easier now that you can just install an extension onto your browser, which makes it even funnier that Amazon Games has switched to unlocking content piecemeal based on your hours viewed, totaling up to 20 (before 2023, New World's Twitch drops only required 4 hours of viewing to unlock everything in the reward package).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It pains me to think they're probably counting twitch viewers as 'players' in some highly cursed analytics juggling to justify the churn.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Ranzear posted:

It pains me to think they're probably counting twitch viewers as 'players' in some highly cursed analytics juggling to justify the churn.
By synergizing with every other bit of Amazon content, they can point to any success the company has and claim, "we helped with that," while handwaving away their deeply negative net-income numbers and saying, "well, that doesn't properly account for all the intangibles."

I've had job interviews with startups that really wanted candidates to prove that they understood the concept of how a business operating at a loss can actually be really successful; because they might be increasing their brand awareness and laying the proper framework to take advantage of some future period of exponential growth and consumer buy-in. The startups who were insistent on those ideas eventually failed as they ran out of funding before reaching that point of instant, infinite Return on Investment (although to be fair, often after being acquired by larger businesses like Microsoft).

Because in the end, data like this seems pretty clear in what it's showing:

Nobody was watching the game on Twitch, and after you tied rewards to players watching the game's streams, you clearly only convinced the handful of remaining players to spike viewer numbers to get the rewards.

Edit: The slight increase in player counts starting last week is because that game went on sale for 50% off for the first time since January, which seemed to convince some people to try the game out. As you can see, that growth was not exponential or sustained.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 1, 2023

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Wanna hear something weird?

New World has decided to introduce a new microtransaction to the game; consumables that enable the use of specific emotes for 2 hours. For $1, you can buy a token that lets you use 1 of 5 different Firework emotes, but only for the 2 hours after you use the emote token. You can even buy the tokens in stacks of 10, although there's no discount for buying the tokens in bulk.

That all seems crazy enough already, but here's the official announcement on their News page:

It's unclear what they mean by "an issue that prevents all emotes from working on their first use." The most optimistic interpretation would be that after activating the consumable, you'll have to press the Emote button twice in order to get it to play the animation for the first time, and it will work properly over the next 2 hours. However, it seems more likely that their description is of something more severe, like the emotes only working correctly the first time you use it, and it becomes disabled afterwards for the rest of your 2 hour time period.

So they're adding a terrible microtransaction, and they're releasing it with a bug that likely breaks it at a fundamental level instead of just delaying the introduction.

On top of all of that, players are now experiencing login errors across all servers in the game, and there's no word from the developers about what's going on. It's no wonder the game is reaching new record-low player numbers every day, even compared to last year's dismal Summer.

Edit: It looks like the server issues are limited to the US-East region, but they're preventing any players from that region logging in to the game. The only confirmation of this is from the generic Amazon Web Services website.

Edit 2: It seems like they've fished the server issues now. New World's official Twitter page linked to the same Amazon Web Services site above, which is probably not the type of "SYNERGY" that Amazon was hoping for when they built their MMO on top of their own commercially available server hosting service.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 13, 2023

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Lol. Lmao. Paid, broken emotes. The fish out the level they have sunk to lack eyes.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I forgot to mention, all the temporary firework emotes can be bought 1 at a time for 1,000 Marks of Fortune (equivalent to $1 US), or you can buy 10 at a time for... 10,000 Marks of Fortune. They also have a bundle of 5 tokens from each of the 5 different firework patterns, and it costs... 25,000 Marks of Fortune.

They can't even do the basic task of providing a "Best Value" bundle, a problem that mobile games solved 2 decades ago.

Also, in 1 of the non-firework-related patch notes, they're removing the mechanic in their newest zone that would kill players if they entered the area without 1st completing a quest to obtain sunscreen (that is not a joke). This always seemed like an attempt to combat bots, so they couldn't create fresh characters and start running farming routes in the new zone with the best loot. The fact that they're removing it means that either they don't think botting is a problem any more, or that they're happy to have bots come back to the game if it helps stabilize their declining player numbers.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Don't worry though the lord of the rings mmo they make will be great and the players will move to it because... <checks notes> ... it's newer

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Cutedge posted:

Don't worry though the lord of the rings mmo they make will be great and the players will move to it because... <checks notes> ... it's newer

If your only understanding of video games comes from observing the Call of Duty model I can get why you'd think "they'll just play the new one because it's the new one". But like, c'mon man. Take just a second to try to understand what makes your niche function within the wider economy of selling games and even a child could see that the CoD model doesn't apply to Tolkien adjacent properties.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

MMOs are dead. 20 year olds don't even understand the model.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I would play call of duty: middle earth warfare

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Babe Magnet posted:

I would play call of duty: middle earth warfare

The scouring of the Shire with white phosphorus.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Ad by Khad posted:

add darktide to the list of fake dev apologies for making poo poo games

Nah Darktide is a good game made by devs who reliably produce inconsistent and buggy games that are still a great experience despite all the downsides

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Thirsty Dog posted:

Nah Darktide is a good game made by devs who reliably produce inconsistent and buggy games that are still a great experience despite all the downsides

Too bad this one is an inconsistent buggy mess that is also not fun to play.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Rexicon1 posted:

Too bad this one is an inconsistent buggy mess that is also not fun to play.

Sounds more like a skill issue.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I might have to give Darktide a try again.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Darktide was super fun for like, I dunno, ten or so play throughs of each map and then there was just nothing there after that at even the most basic level.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

I said come in! posted:

I might have to give Darktide a try again.

No, you don’t.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

No, you don’t.

Steam and Game Pass matchmaking is coming June 30th. I probably really don't, live service will always let us down.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 20, 2023

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Game still hosed:

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Discospawn posted:

Game still hosed:

The dozens of people still playing are going to be more sad.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

They also just put the game on sale for its biggest discount ever:

However there's currently a lot of questions about whether the game's Fall Expansion will make all current gear irrelevant, and most players are expecting it to be paid DLC this time instead of a free content drop (AGS have been silent on the matter, which seems like confirmation that it won't be free). A developer made an offhand comment on the official Discord about current gear not being able to be upgraded to the new Max Gear Score that's coming in 3 months, and they have also made vague promises of a complete revamp to how the game's perk and crafting systems work. All of that means there's not any information about what Best in Slot weapons and armor will be in the near future, and there's not even a guarantee that the game will still use the current resources & materials for crafting/upgrading items, so it may not be even be possible to stockpile currencies in anticipation of the changes. There's also the problem with the game's population continuing to reach record lows every week, and the server ecosystem still being divided between Legacy and Fresh Start servers, even in regions that could be consolidated down to 1 single server with room to spare.

In short, it's never been cheaper to buy the game, but it's also probably the worst point to start investing your time into the game.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The grind for getting gear to 625 and the grind to get multiple sets of 625 so you can run high tier mutations loving sucks, and AGS making all that gear useless would be an incredibly funny thing to do.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

For once I have to acknowledge that Discospawn isn’t overstating the crisis that the dev leaking the “625 obsolescence” threw the whole game economy into. The fact that they kinda leaked it and haven’t been able to comment on it since has crashed the markets for gear and mats as nobody knows what the path forward looks like for current gear.

Separate from that is the perk rework which is a huge positive and much needed. Getting rid of bane/ward and removing the possibility for an item to drop with PvP AND PvE perks are objectively positive and has been received as such.

They definitely would have been better served for the 625 announcement to have come out closer to the season in which they were actually raising the cap. It’s not unusual for people to grind for gear caps and have their gear surpassed by the new expansion, it happens in every live service looter/mmo now. But to have that info come out unofficially long before the cap is actually going to be raised in a game where the player economy is largely influenced by progression systems that we now know may not exist in the future has really sent things into a spiral.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The big thing that kills New World for me is that the end game content is too difficult. The end game storyline stuff requires a group to do. I'm at the point where everything worth doing involves going through group PvE areas or dungeons. I wouldn't mind the grind to the item level cap if you could do it solo.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Pandaal posted:

Separate from that is the perk rework which is a huge positive and much needed. Getting rid of bane/ward and removing the possibility for an item to drop with PvP AND PvE perks are objectively positive and has been received as such.
It's true that the community has praised these changes, but I'm less optimistic about what form the implementation will take. After the whole, "We removed Tuning Orbs after 6 months of criticism, just to replace them with a weekly cap on the number of Mutated Expeditions you can run and reduced the gold rewards from Expeditions," debacle, I'm expecting them to replace the Bane/Ward/Resilient perk system with something technically better, but only marginally.

Maybe the funnier thing is that it sounded like the Ward/Bane removal wouldn't happen with the Expansion's initial release, but rather sometime afterwards (they committed to the change happening "by the end of the year" rather than tying it to the big Fall Update). So you have them acknowledging in their Developer's Vlog earlier this week that the existing system is bad and unfun, but a fix for it is still several months away and might not even be part of the biggest chance they have of resuscitating the game. Just like with the Gear Cap comment it's not bad in itself, but it's a bizarre thing to announce so far in advance, without providing reassurance that the current loot system is still worth investing it.

Speaking of this week's New World Developer Vlog, the game's director, Scot Lane, wore some sunglasses during it that reminded me of doomed cult leader Jim Jones:

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I said come in! posted:

The big thing that kills New World for me is that the end game content is too difficult. The end game storyline stuff requires a group to do. I'm at the point where everything worth doing involves going through group PvE areas or dungeons. I wouldn't mind the grind to the item level cap if you could do it solo.

This is true and it also sucks that since there’s no incentive to do low-level content once you’ve passed it, it becomes impossible for new players on a server to advance.

They’re addressing this by finally implementing cross-server group finder for dungeons… in the fall. So between endgame being on hold for veteran players and advancement being on hold for new ones… there’s not much to do in this game until the expansion, if it survives that long.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Discospawn posted:

I’m expecting them to replace the Bane/Ward/Resilient perk system with something technically better, but only marginally.

Apparently it’s going to just be a potion for the specific ward/bane you want for the content you’re doing. More crafted consumables is always good in my opinion since this game desperately needs more resource/gear sinks to make the economy interesting.

Removing ward/banes and making perks roll PvP OR PvE + the announced perk rework will be great for gear once they actually announce it all

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Pandaal posted:

They’re addressing this by finally implementing cross-server group finder for dungeons… in the fall. So between endgame being on hold for veteran players and advancement being on hold for new ones… there’s not much to do in this game until the expansion, if it survives that long.

Is this only for normal dungeons or also mutated (or whatever) dungeons?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

DaitoX posted:

Is this only for normal dungeons or also mutated (or whatever) dungeons?
They haven't released any details about how it will work, and it's actually Scheduled for Season 4, not the Fall, so it's likely a January 2024 feature.

Most people are assuming it will make use of the current Group Finder Tool's functionality, which supports Regular and Mutated Expeditions, but I don't think the current Group Finder Tool is sufficient to handle cross-server functionality, since it still doesn't support gear linking or player inspection, and currently most players use the in-game chat to link gear in order to get accepted into high-level Mutated Expedition Groups. The existing Group Finder Tool is just so poor at its job that it doesn't feel like it can be extended/improved enough to support the cross-server feature, and its unclear whether they game will have enough population left in January of next year for cross-server support to even make a difference.

I've said this a lot, but there's also the problem where currently 3 of the game's 5 regions peak at less than 1 server's-worth of players, so cross-server features add no value there. US-East could be condensed down to 2 servers, and Europe down to 3, so it's a pretty significant technical feature to focus on when it seems far too late for it to be worth the investment. This mirrors a lot of other strange decisions that AGS has made, like their decision to continue to slowly remake the entire Main Story Quest from Levels 1-60 (which they've currently only completed up to ~ Level 40), remaking entire zones/territories/settlements to make them more unique from each other, and their new Seasonal Model that focuses on temporary Seasonal Quests and new, fully voice-acted NPCs that you 'recruit' each Season to develop a ragtag team of characters to help you on your quests. They're all really expensive attempts to fix issues that people complained about a few weeks after the game's launch, but taking so long to fix them, while not improving the endgame loop, seems like the it provides the worst Return on Investment you could manage to get for the game's budget.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 30, 2023

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
I see, so that is pretty far off still. Seems weird to not make that part of the expansion, but I guess seeing how these season releases have been going the expansion might be delayed enough so they still launch roughly at the same time.

I think that maybe if you look at data it might makes sense to redo the MSQ. They probably see a lot of lower levels quitting and think a better MSQ experience might help player retention. Ignoring that a lot of people were quitting because they kept having to disable trading or something equally crazy.

At least with the cross server dungeon finder they can reuse it for their lord of the rings game...

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
So I just bought this for $16 on the Steam summer sale. Should I care about finding a Goon clan/guild/etc or just gently caress around solo because literally nobody should give a poo poo about this game? I'm assuming the latter and that I should just solo chill out over the long weekend and consider that good.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Yeah I’d just solo chill and try not to read too much about it. There’s plenty of fun to have leveling for a while and exploring zones and getting to know the systems.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Yeah literally the best thing you can do while starting out is play the game and don’t read about anything. The leveling speaks for itself, it’s good.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

Pandaal posted:

Yeah literally the best thing you can do while starting out is play the game and don’t read about anything. The leveling speaks for itself, it’s good.

Yeah, gameplay-wise I'm pretty impressed by some of the design. The plot is certainly a choice they made, but I'm surprised at how well they explain the fact that the various characters and armor and such are a huge mess of historical periods. It's still utter nonsense, but at least it's more coherent than their explanation of why they won't put goddamn mounts or other faster movement in the game.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I like the world and setting, the dungeons were really fun, and I found gathering and housing very chill, but I just... stopped once I hit 60 and got to the main story quest's (very abrupt) end. Just can't be assed to do anything else in the game. I haven't had it installed in months, maybe even a year at this point?

It was definitely a lot of fun for a few weeks, no regrets

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the leveling experience was fun and worth the $40 or whatever I paid. I got to max and just looked around and shrugged my shoulders. Like… I guess this is it. I wouldn’t be adverse to returning if there was something fun to do at max or they added new areas, increased the level cap, and added new weapons or skill trees.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Same.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The real question will be whether players are willing to return to the game if the Fall Expansion promises some of those things, but also costs an additional $20-$40 to access it, along with additional microtransaction fees for QoL improvements like Gear Set Slots, Transmog, Mounts, etc.

We don't know exactly what they have planned for the Fall update, but I think we can expect portions of it to be behind some kind of a paywall. We can also expect that features that were available for free in previous Season Pass Tracks will no longer be available except as microtransactions. For example, players were able to unlock 3 Gear Set Storage Slots from the Season Pass in Season 1, but there's no similar rewards on the Season 2 track, implying that they will only be available as a paid option once this season ends. Similarly, there are 8 "Transmog Tokens" available to earn in the Season 2 Pass, but I imagine there won't be any on the Season 3 Pass.

Maybe I'm underestimating how willing people will be to pay for the features they requested 2 years ago; I was wrong about the community being outraged with AGS selling Server Transfer Tokens to address server population problem that the developers caused. It just seems like the wrong strategy if AGS is trying to raise the game from the dead and establish a stable community with a turnaround similar to No Man's Sky. Instead, it seems like AGS is focused on earning enough revenue for the game to justify 1 more year of existence, but I don't know how interested Amazon is in maintaining a niche MMO with just enough revenue to sustain its population that barely breaks the Steam Top 100 List.

In other news, Season 2 is still being promoted/marketed as releasing this Thursday, the 6th. We're 3 days away from that without any updates, but the player community is very guarded about believing that the season will release on time. I don't think anybody will be surprised if they announce a delay when they get back into the office on Wednesday (assuming they're off on a long weekend for 4th of July), but it certainly won't help whatever small momentum they might be trying to build with the 60% off discount they have going until the end of the Steam Summer Sale.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There was a new zone added to the game, but it was level 62+ mobs and so really requires a group to be able to get anything done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I selfishly would love if this game added solo dungeons kind of like Diablo/DDO style. It lends itself well for soloing being fun but challenging, the world design and stuff is one of its strengths, too. Or even like destiny lost sectors or something.