Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I use a paint brush tyvm :biglips:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
I use an electric toothbrush. The vibration adds an extra level of spice.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

bergeoisie posted:

I use an electric toothbrush. The vibration adds an extra level of spice.

the buzzing drives me deeper into a bee mindset

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I did that for a couple years when we were in a condo. My wife made a face when I said I was jerking off the pepper plant.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

It's nice to know I'm not the only plant sex criminal.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I made my icon a little bee for a while on slack because I mentioned hand pollinating some poblano peppers and someone was like "you have become the bee"

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can you put up a picture of a plant, then a closeup of the underside of a leaf? (to The Old Ganon).
Of the five plants out there, only one has leaves and it's the Silver Dollar blueberry bush.

Aside, what are these stringy things called? This is my Pinot Noir grape vine.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Tendrils, at least on peas that's what they're called

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

stamens, tendrils and pistils are all i need

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mischief posted:

It's nice to know I'm not the only plant sex criminal.

It's how I get those clean seeds. Only 5 dollars for a pack a 10.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

That Old Ganon posted:

Of the five plants out there, only one has leaves and it's the Silver Dollar blueberry bush.

Are you sure these aren't dead? Anything that looked like that where I live in June would be dead, but climates vary a lot

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

"HAVE A HUGE GARDEN" they said. "IT'LL BE FUN."

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Spending a bunch of time in the garden only to lose an entire planting to one of our many arthropod friends is character building

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

drk posted:

Are you sure these aren't dead? Anything that looked like that where I live in June would be dead, but climates vary a lot
I've tested two bushes, and they look alive. Ish. The thicker one is the Silver Dollar blueberry, and the thinner one is the Nocturne blueberry. Admittedly, it's a little more difficult for me to tell with the Nocturne.

I also know that the mulberry is still alive because my roommate snapped off a piece of it. <:mad:>

Edit: forgot to add I'm in Denver (ish), Colorado.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yeah, that blueberry is absolutely dead; if you want, you can scrape a sharp knife up one side of the stem starting at the root and see if there's any green, but I doubt it. The thinner one looks absolutely dead to me.

When I have a plant that looks like that, it is generally because I failed to water it for too long. The other probability is that it got killed by frost.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Chad Sexington posted:

I did that for a couple years when we were in a condo. My wife made a face when I said I was jerking off the pepper plant.

I tell my wife I'm diddling the plants. She didn't think it was very funny either.

Content, I was loving around with 100lb goodyear made hose. Don't get me wrong it's a good hose especially for just leaving it in the sun for 2 years. While whipping it for slack I smashed a roselle sapling, snapping a small branch. Said gently caress it and had a nibble and it's the weirdest lemon with a back end of pepper. Probably not going to add to any meal prep salads.

sterster fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 2, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Help!

There's a piece of poo poo squirrel coming onto my apartment balcony and digging up my peppers!

I have no idea what to do :(

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

In my experience, exposed soil triggers their digging instincts more than mulched soil. You could spread a thin layer of something like straw or wood mulch over the soil. It'll also help to regulate the soil moisture and heat, if you have problems with those.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'll try that.

I wish I could let this big guy take care of it, but knowing him, he'd jump off the balcony :P

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

A large rat trap will work but it won't be pretty. The squirrels on our land usually catch a heavy subsonic .22 but disconnecting the head is the goal.

mischief fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 2, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

mischief posted:

A large rat trap will work but it won't be pretty. The squirrels on our land usually catch a heavy subsonic .22 but disconnecting the head is the goal.

I can't get away with shooting a gun off in a city apartment, but I may try the trap.

It's weird though - I used to live in a house out in the country, and I grew multiple batches of peppers, and never had an issue with squirrels.

Maybe the abundance of other resources meant they didn't need to come near the house?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I think it's the pots more than the peppers. Fuckers just like digging in pots.

Meanwhile a mouse scurried out of my built-in grill the other day when I turned it on which has me concerned the squirrels and chipmunks here have some new friends. I'm guessing it's partially because my neighbor's stupid mulberry tree has dropped a metric ton of fruit onto my back porch, but worrying nonetheless. Nobody better loving eat my strawberries!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
A Conibear or tube squirrel trap will work better than the rat trap in every way

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Annath posted:

I can't get away with shooting a gun off in a city apartment, but I may try the trap.

It's weird though - I used to live in a house out in the country, and I grew multiple batches of peppers, and never had an issue with squirrels.

Maybe the abundance of other resources meant they didn't need to come near the house?

The opposite -- cities can support higher populations of squirrels because people create a lot of resources like food. City squirrels are used to rummaging around homes for food. Rural squirrels aren't.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Perhaps a stick of dynamite dressed up as a sexy lady squirrel

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Also natural selection rapidly wipes out any "brave" rural squirrels, but in urban areas those squirrels get more food and reproduce more.

The chipmunk traps have been disturbingly effective, they really are dumb as poo poo and launch themselves right into the bucket even though the seeds are clearly wet and floating on water.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Annath posted:

Help!

There's a piece of poo poo squirrel coming onto my apartment balcony and digging up my peppers!

I have no idea what to do :(

I'm not sure what the technical term is, but most home improvement stores sell "fabric" designed to deter cats digging—usually a plastic mesh with little plastic "spikes" (pointy but not sharp) at the corners. You can cut pieces of it to fit the diameter of a pot/planter and then cut a hole for the plant itself.

Dunno how well it works with l'il pots, but it's great for keeping squirrels out of vertical garden troughs, grow bags, and planters.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Just realized that the bastard squirrel chewed off my only Shishito pepper so far, and then didn't even have the decency to eat it! (you can see it on the bottom of the railing right behind the chewed stem)

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
^^
Maybe it's not a squirrel? Afaik, they tend not to like the actual peppers. We have tons of squirrels that I blamed for eating up my garden, but it turns out it was rats. Once I used traps to take them out, everything was fine.

Is there a way to tell if my tomatoes are wilting from lack of water, fungal infection or something else?

All of my Brandywine's seem to have started wilting very quickly, it was a few lower branches at first but seems to be speeding up. After a few days the leaves on the affected branches look completely desiccated.
Each plant is in a 10g grow bag getting 3 minutes twice a day of water from individual sprayer heads. It was once a day, went to twice a day and the wilting has only gotten worse. Feels like it has to be something other than a lack of water.

Honestly feels like I need to ditch these heritage cultivars and use modern science plants. I've got a couple modern determinate species and they're doing fine.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 2, 2023

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Scat mats? I've only used it to keep cats off the windowsills above the kitchen counter. It works well for that, at least.

Aluminum foil as a stop-gap maybe? Fine meshed poultry wire would be less of a pain to water through.

I'm kind of impressed with the invasive black squirrels that moved in a few years ago. One of them stripped a seedling apple we don't particularly care about, making endless trips from the tree to a rock knoll in the woods. It probably stashed at least a laundry basket (bushel?) worth of apples by the time it was done and try as I might I can't find its cache. Good job little dude.

If any start going after the Bramley's Seedling or Gravenstein though I'm going to go all YouTube on their arses.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Could you build a mesh squirrel proof box to put over them?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Scat mats are actually a really good idea. They work great for my cats. I bet they’d work for squirrels.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Is that what they're called? Yeah, that's what I was talking about above. They work great to prevent squirrels from digging poo poo up.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Annath posted:

Just realized that the bastard squirrel chewed off my only Shishito pepper so far, and then didn't even have the decency to eat it! (you can see it on the bottom of the railing right behind the chewed stem)

Those motherfuckers never eat what they steal. They pick my tomatoes which they know they don't like, take one bite and leave them where I can see the devastation.

They are furry jerks!!

I think the mesh cover thing is a good idea - I have related ones to this on my 2x4 raised beds and they work OK

https://www.gardeners.com/buy/chicken-wire-flat-back-crop-coop/8611701.html

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, that blueberry is absolutely dead; if you want, you can scrape a sharp knife up one side of the stem starting at the root and see if there's any green, but I doubt it. The thinner one looks absolutely dead to me.

When I have a plant that looks like that, it is generally because I failed to water it for too long. The other probability is that it got killed by frost.
I started watering them as soon as the snow melted (the first time). All of them must've been killed frost. They all needed chill hours and I swore the varieties I got were fine in 5a/b, especially since a few of them were highbush. Holy moly, so much time and money wasted.

This sucks so much, I was really looking forward to making jam with them this summer.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Containers mean your plants are getting colder/hotter than if they were in the soil. If the pots weren't protected in 5a, they could definitely die from cold

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Is there a way to tell if my tomatoes are wilting from lack of water, fungal infection or something else?

All of my Brandywine's seem to have started wilting very quickly, it was a few lower branches at first but seems to be speeding up. After a few days the leaves on the affected branches look completely desiccated.
Can you give us photos of the entire plant, and then of both the top side and the underside of some leaves?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
after some failures in the past, got some nasturtiums growing this year and the first flower came out very pretty

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Chicken wire is pretty squirrel proof. I put it over some of my pots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can you give us photos of the entire plant, and then of both the top side and the underside of some leaves?

Of course, thank you!