Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Mr. Nice! posted:

You ask for permission to depart from your ship as normal, as you cross the QD of the other ship, you ask for permission to cross.

This is how i remember it. Iirc on my boat you were supposed to like fully stop, stand at attention, salute the topside watch and formally request permission to go ashore, then cross the quarterdeck, stop again, and salute the colors before crossing the gangplank.

Thankfully when crossing the other boat you could usually get away with a drive-bye salute and a nod to the quarterdeck watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
SEALs: need stealth helicopters, state of the art technology, and a huge arsenal of customized weapons

Seabees: enemy pillbox? hold my beer and gimme the keys to the murderdozer

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

titties posted:

This is how i remember it. Iirc on my boat you were supposed to like fully stop, stand at attention, salute the topside watch and formally request permission to go ashore, then cross the quarterdeck, stop again, and salute the colors before crossing the gangplank.

Thankfully when crossing the other boat you could usually get away with a drive-bye salute and a nod to the quarterdeck watch.

On submarines you throw a salute at the boat you're crossing's POOD, if you're feeling squared away.

One advantage to boats over ships is a lot less of the "PETTY OFFICER CAT REQUESTING PERMISSION TO COME ABOARD" QD bullshit skimmers have to put up with. I've only ever seen the full routine done sarcastically.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think the only time I ever did it was when I brought my dad on board for a tour.

Other than that the brow watch was lucky to get a nod and a vague hand motion at 5am

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Elviscat posted:

On submarines you throw a salute at the boat you're crossing's POOD, if you're feeling squared away.

One advantage to boats over ships is a lot less of the "PETTY OFFICER CAT REQUESTING PERMISSION TO COME ABOARD" QD bullshit skimmers have to put up with. I've only ever seen the full routine done sarcastically.

Yeah that's what i was saying, just toss a drive- bye salute to the topside watch on the other boat. On my boat they did expect you to do the whole "salute the colors, salute the watch, request permission" thing, but only the first time you crossed the QD that morning

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I preferred doing the dick salute when crossing double parked on subs.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Boomers don't even have anyone on the inboard boat that you could salute if you wanted to; the POOD is on the pier.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

M_Gargantua posted:

I think the only time I ever did it was when I brought my dad on board for a tour.

Other than that the brow watch was lucky to get a nod and a vague hand motion at 5am

5am? Nod, wave and spilling half of the kebab bought on the way back from the last bar on the QD :sun:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

On the Enterprise the most we gave was saluting the ensign and then the POOD and going "Permission to come aboard?" We didn't have to identify ourselves by name or anything. In the morning when we showed up en masse it was two hand salutes and some mumbles because we had to get 3000 half asleep people aboard.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I got to see nod, wave, fall into the Thames river drunk during holiday stand-down once, there were ice floes in the river it was so cold.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/ThrustWR/status/1664010718231027712?s=20

Weird to see color imagery of ships

Happy Fleet Week went well for you Crabs; bummed I never got to do it. Our squadron was supposed to do that in 2010 or 2011 but real world events happened.

RIMPAC was one of the exercises I really wanted to do but never got the chance. The loving reserve AWACS squadron always volunteered for it so the active duty folks could handle the CENTCOM and SOUTHCOM (JIATF-S) bullshit without being too strained. Gee, thanks guys.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

I spent way too long trying to figure out if this was loss

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Flyinglemur posted:

I spent way too long trying to figure out if this was loss

it is but not in the way you think

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1664357029677355016?s=20

That's a much cooler cover than the cruise book I have

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1664357029677355016?s=20

That's a much cooler cover than the cruise book I have

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I appreciate cringe poo poo if it is done in earnest. I am sure some PAO and/or MC were really excited about it

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Pumping diesel overboard is the kind of poo poo that gets civilian mariners sent to no-poo poo jail.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Nick Soapdish posted:

I appreciate cringe poo poo if it is done in earnest. I am sure some PAO and/or MC were really excited about it

No, sorry, I mean dumping diesel and managing to get it into your drinking water

I felt the metaphor was apt

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Nick Soapdish posted:

WHO WANTS TO SEE MY CRUISE JACKET?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

FrozenVent posted:

Pumping diesel overboard is the kind of poo poo that gets civilian mariners sent to no-poo poo jail.

Meanwhile the air wing is up here dumping thousands of gallons of JP-5 around the carrier every day.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I was on a short boxer deployment and a jp5 line busted and leaked into the ships laundry. Guess what they used to mop up the fuel? Mine and many other bags of dirty laundry! Then they disposed of all of them and told us to gently caress ourselves. Lost 3 coveralls but gained my esws pin! Lol.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Crab Dad posted:

The loving Wasp tooting their horn woke me up today.

Disclaimer: junior sailors are from my work group on our final night. Good kids.
Nobody got in trouble! 23,900 people went though our line to see the ship.
Time to go home and repack my bags for a few weeks in Hawaii with my real unit this Saturday.

I'll be in downtown Honolulu Wednesday, probably Pig and Lady or Yakitori Hachibei if you're around. Have the duty Thursday but will be back 2 weeks after as well.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

I got selected for first class my 6th and final year active duty :toot:. Seriously considering doing SELRES for Tricare and the $20k bonus. Please remind me why this is a terrible idea.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Fred Dawes posted:

I got selected for first class my 6th and final year active duty :toot:. Seriously considering doing SELRES for Tricare and the $20k bonus. Please remind me why this is a terrible idea.

Reserves is a special kind of special but the bonus sounds nice, insurance is cool and you could wind up at fleet week or some poo poo

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fred Dawes posted:

The reserves are going pretty good for Crab Dad.

You’d still be in the military, however. And TRICare really only beats the VA if 2 conditions are met: 1- You have dependents 2- Your VA Is particularly bad.

I retired and I have dependents, so TRICare makes sense for me- plus no added service obligation in the reserves for broke dick fat rear end retirees. But if I lived alone and/or somewhere with a decent VA I’d jump on that poo poo. My dad is a retired O and he just uses the VA, because where he’s at they’re far and away the best game in town, and happen to be free!

Since you served during GWOT don’t you get a like an extra decade of no income adjusted free medical care from the VA? I think you get that for life after a certain C&P rating with the VA but don’t quote me on that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fred Dawes posted:

If you are going into a gov position you can’t get tricare so there’s barely any point unless you really really like playing navy a little.

What rate by the way?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Question for the reservists with experience in resfor fucker. Can I rescheduke resched dates for drill? My orders for this weekend never got funded so I'm not going but don't want to have to do a bunch of extra drill days later.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The reserves are going pretty good for Crab Dad.

You’d still be in the military, however. And TRICare really only beats the VA if 2 conditions are met: 1- You have dependents 2- Your VA Is particularly bad.

I retired and I have dependents, so TRICare makes sense for me- plus no added service obligation in the reserves for broke dick fat rear end retirees. But if I lived alone and/or somewhere with a decent VA I’d jump on that poo poo. My dad is a retired O and he just uses the VA, because where he’s at they’re far and away the best game in town, and happen to be free!

Since you served during GWOT don’t you get a like an extra decade of no income adjusted free medical care from the VA? I think you get that for life after a certain C&P rating with the VA but don’t quote me on that.

Most vets I know around here just use the VA exclusively because it's equivalent to better than local healthcare options. We can see someone anytime we need, meds that we can't pick up get overnighted to us, and there is zero out of pocket expense for the majority of us.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

Most vets I know around here just use the VA exclusively because it's equivalent to better than local healthcare options. We can see someone anytime we need, meds that we can't pick up get overnighted to us, and there is zero out of pocket expense for the majority of us.

But until a certain % dependants aren't covered for medical (if they are at all anymore? My parents are both because of my dad but he got hurt years ago and medically retired so idk.)

I'm only playing weekend navy for the Healthcare as my wife needs good Healthcare that wouldn't rake us over a fire cost wise. I use it far less than she has to.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

King of Bees posted:

I was on a short boxer deployment and a jp5 line busted and leaked into the ships laundry. Guess what they used to mop up the fuel? Mine and many other bags of dirty laundry! Then they disposed of all of them and told us to gently caress ourselves. Lost 3 coveralls but gained my esws pin! Lol.

It makes a nice desk ornament.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thronde posted:

But until a certain % dependants aren't covered for medical (if they are at all anymore? My parents are both because of my dad but he got hurt years ago and medically retired so idk.)

I'm only playing weekend navy for the Healthcare as my wife needs good Healthcare that wouldn't rake us over a fire cost wise. I use it far less than she has to.

You can get CHAMPVA for dependents if you're totally and permanently disabled, but otherwise options are limited for family coverage through the VA. I'll admit that this is reason enough to have alternate coverage.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Thronde posted:

Question for the reservists with experience in resfor fucker. Can I rescheduke resched dates for drill? My orders for this weekend never got funded so I'm not going but don't want to have to do a bunch of extra drill days later.

You can’t but the NRC is capable.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement.

Crab Dad posted:

If you are going into a gov position you can’t get tricare so there’s barely any point unless you really really like playing navy a little.

What rate by the way?

ET, surface warfare type

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Fred Dawes posted:

ET, surface warfare type

Enjoy Taiwan!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fred Dawes posted:

ET, surface warfare type

Sounds like a Surgemain flex drill type unit would be good for you. If you got a TS clearance sometimes NIOC units will take an ET (avoid their mission is super lame).

If you got any other questions you can PM me. I’m not the best support but I generally can find out stuff to help.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mr. Nice! posted:

I use the VA where I'm at and the out of pocket for copays and meds is still a ridiculous amount less than if I had regular health insurance.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Fred Dawes posted:

Congratulations! I transitioned to the reserve after 6 years active in 2012 as a First Class as well. You've hit the big two items that being a reservist gets you, cheap health care for your family and some pocket cash. Depending on where you live being a reservist could be a simple thing or it could be complicated. I can only speak to the IS life but I am sure if an ET that being away from a Fleet area is going to add the complexity of being cross-assigned to an active command somewhere near the Fleet while doing your drills at a local reserve center or having to drive far to be with a unit that actually does your job. Some people don't mind putting the uniform on for a weekend, sitting in a classroom doing nothing, and going home, that's what usual reserve unit life seemed from the outside. My first year in the reserve was not bad as coming from active duty you're seen as a resource (as you know your job and how to do Navy stuff) but learning how things are done in the reserve was something that I never got the hang of and struggled with. This leads to the other downside, like active duty as you advance you do less with your job and people and more administrative and with the reserve center. The difference is that, out of the 6-8 reserve centers I drilled from, most treat reservists as an annoyance that get in the way of whatever they think their job is. After I made Chief I had to deal more and more with the reserve center and region and that led to a precipice drop in my enjoyment with anything to do with the Navy. Also, if you're working with a small reserve unit, you will likely be the only senior enlisted as a First or Chief and have all that administrative duties on your plate. I was lucky that I had a wonderful unit CO who I'd known for many years and was a real mensch. I do miss working with junior Sailors and junior officers; it was always neat to see the vastly different real world jobs and skills that folks had. Way different when getting to know people and hearing their stories about life that is wasn't just "oh I was stationed at [x] and then [y]," that you get with active duty. I still laughed that I had an IS3 at my first reserve unit that was a finance guy who basically joined on a lark since he did not need the money or benefits. Anywho, hope that helps your decision process a bit.

TL;DR version: Your unit leadership and your NRA leadership have any outsized effect on how enjoyable your time will be. You'll move from doing work with your unit and junior Sailors over to administrative work with the NRA as you have more time in the reserve and eventually make Chief.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know where your "here" is, but I know it ain't my here (Syracuse). I came from Minneapolis, which had a very good VA healthcare network to what might be one of the worst. After 6 months here I had an 8 page letter I sent to the person in charge. Everything from wrong information about my health history and the wrong person's charts in my record to people walking into the exam room without knocking (while being examined, door wide the gently caress open), to PAs passing serious judgement of my character because of the medicinal THC to just straight up horseshitter in the mental health area. I got pretty hosed over by Voc Rehab as well, but that was after I complained so I guess I should have expected that. I know they are not related, but I got told to my face "be careful who you disclose things to."

Thankfully my wife has good insurance through her work or else we would be screwed because Tricare is pretty lovely too.

Thanks for listening to my latest session of "A Bitching Sailor is a Happy Sailor." Hit like and subscribe and check out my merch page

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Thronde posted:

You should be able to, actually. Though, it may be different for enlisted.

Under your EDM dashboard in NSIPS, it should list which drills you have rescheduled. There is a option on the bottom of the page called "Reschedule IDT Request" which should allow you to modify any reskeds that haven't been executed yet. Otherwise, call your chief and have them notify the NRC ops folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

You should be able to, actually. Though, it may be different for enlisted.

Under your EDM dashboard in NSIPS, it should list which drills you have rescheduled. There is a option on the bottom of the page called "Reschedule IDT Request" which should allow you to modify any reskeds that haven't been executed yet. Otherwise, call your chief and have them notify the NRC ops folks.

I was told it wasn’t possible for me to resched a resched due to the way NSIPS behaves but it was trivial for manpower to do it. And yes I just had to my CO/XO to sign off on it.
I’m about to do it again because I just created my orders from the IDTT requirement and they don’t align at all with the dates I pushed my May and June drills off to.

I don’t have a chief right now to assist me with the fine stuff but I do have an excellent relationship with the NRC.