Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

So I have 2 other trees on our property besides Oak and Pine and kinda curious what they are

Southern California mountains about 7200 feet up. 6b, 7a, 7b zone

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
y'all I went fuckin buckwild on the hostas yesterday. Visited Telly's and Home Depot, got most of the hostas at Telly's but Home Depot had a cheap Coast to Coast and Margarita I couldn't pass up!

Left to right: Sum and Substance, Wu-La-La, Halcyon, Blue Mouse Ears, SIlly String, Stained Glass

Coast to Coast and Margarita!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

NICE. I've found space in our garden for at least one of those beauties--just gotta get back to Telly's to pick some out!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Lady bagmo was out of town so I absolutely snuck one past the goalie here. I have spots for most of them, the two I'm worried about Sum and Substance and Wu-La-La. Debating expanding a bed to fit one of them now lol

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I will post an Empress Wu update later, I will need to pose with it so that you can get a good idea of how big she actually is

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What kinds of paint can be used to cover exposed parts on a tree without hurting the tree?

I work in tree service and I have a customer who wants us to paint a bare patch on his tree a specific color. My company normally uses flat black Quick Color enamel spray paint on trees, which is all-purpose and fast drying, partly because it fades to a gray that blends in well with most kinds of tree bark over time, but Quick Color only comes in black and white, and this customer apparently wants us to use a color that matches the bark and "doesn't stick out" (his words) when it goes on. Which I guess means he wants something dark gray with a very slightly brownish tint?

He also wants us to show him color swatches of whatever we use before we paint it, which...... yeah. :ughh:

Are there any particular kinds of (I guess enamel spray) paint that work better for covering bare spots on trees than others? Any kinds I should avoid? Like would one of the myriad Rust-oleums work?

EDIT: I *think* this is about the kind of color he wants, but is a paint + primer combo safe to use on a tree without harming it?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 24, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tell him that once you put the tree safe coat on in black he can prime it and paint it any color he wants

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wait, is this intended to be wound paint or just for aesthetics? Wound paint has gone out of fashion because it's actually detrimental to the healing process. Anything that inhibits the flow of air and moisture is going to be bad. If it's just for appearances, bare spots on trees fade over time and blend in with the tree, so he'd be better off waiting anyway.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah just rub some dirt on it or something. Or a light misting with literally any spraypaint

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Wait, is this intended to be wound paint or just for aesthetics? Wound paint has gone out of fashion because it's actually detrimental to the healing process. Anything that inhibits the flow of air and moisture is going to be bad. If it's just for appearances, bare spots on trees fade over time and blend in with the tree, so he'd be better off waiting anyway.

Is that right? I know a lot of pruning seal sprays are bad for trees, but I've always read that pruning seal and tree paint are basically two different things, and that the latter keeps bugs and diseases out while still allowing the tree to heal and air out wounds. My company uses tree paint a lot on oak trees in places where oak wilt is a major problem, although my area isn't one of those.

This is mainly being used as a wound paint but the customer is also really picky about how it looks. It's a really old tree in a historic part of town that gets a lot of tourists, and the house is pretty old and big too, so that may be part of why he's so focused on appearance.

The tree in question is a super huge live oak, that mostly appears healthy except for this one bare spot on its trunk with some adjacent bark peeling back in sheets right next to it. I know it's not uncommon for live oaks to have bark pop off around their trunks, especially when they get bigger and the weight from above causes the trunk to compress and push outward, and I think that that's partly what might be going on here, but the customer also told me that the bark on this tree didn't really start to come off until right after a major winter storm a couple of years ago. That, coupled with the fact that the bark is only coming off in one spot on the tree (and the fact that the peeling bark still clings to the tree pretty well), tells me that the tree most likely got frostbitten. We're scheduled to give it some injection treatment in a few months, but our thinking right now is that painting over the exposed parts will at least help keep insects and poo poo out of there.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I dunno. That's a little beyond what I have experience with. We just got a solid drilling in my arboriculture class to not paint wounds. I know of some other applications that seem fine though, like white paint on trunks.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah painting wounds is pretty old-fashioned and not really supported by current research. Maaaaaybe if applied immediately after cutting it could help stop up pores and prevent disease intrusion. It won't keep insects out and neither will anything else except a systemic insecticide. Live oaks are extremely good at containing rot and damage and really don't need any help. If the tree got badly cold damaged or struck by lightning it may have other problems though. I'd tell the owner to talk to a legit Certified Arborist if your company doesn't have one (which it sounds like they don't if they're still painting tree wounds). You can find one here:https://www.treesaregood.org/findanarborist/findanarborist

A thin layer of spray paint won't hurt anything if the owner is very worried about appearances tho. Use two or three slightly different colors to make it blend better.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This lovely iris opened up at last

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 28, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'd tell the owner to talk to a legit Certified Arborist if your company doesn't have one (which it sounds like they don't if they're still painting tree wounds). You can find one here:https://www.treesaregood.org/findanarborist/findanarborist

Ironically, my company actually DOES have a certified arborist and he is my direct boss. And yes he does totally still recommend painting trees all the loving time. :haw:

He seems to give a way bigger gently caress about making money than actual tree health though. The fact that my company has a certified arborist on staff is something we're told to use as a selling point for our services and to justify our prices being way loving higher than other places, which apparently works really well in the bigger cities we operate in, but pretty much not at all in my region.

y'all I don't like this job. :smith:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 25, 2023

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Brawnfire posted:

This lovely iris opened up at last

Ugh… gorgeous

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

drat, that's a good iris.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Snowmound spirea

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

My one big bearded iris that can't hold its own flowers up also started blooming a couple days ago. I like the color on Brawnfire's more, I think; I have an Iris pseudata 'Yarai' I got from Plant Delights a couple years ago that has very similar shades.

Also my little Opuntia fragilis is about to flower for the first time.

And a bonus photo of the massive Amorphophallus titanum I got to see a couple weeks ago. Didn't smell all that bad in the middle of the day.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Wallet posted:

My one big bearded iris that can't hold its own flowers up also started blooming a couple days ago. I like the color on Brawnfire's more, I think; I have an Iris pseudata 'Yarai' I got from Plant Delights a couple years ago that has very similar shades.

Oh man, yeah I had to put a cage around one of my iris clusters. Oh, irises. "Look! Big flower! Look! Isn't it beautiful? Oh.. poo poo that's heavy. Ahhhhhhh"

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So there's this guy down the street from me who had tables set up in his driveway selling a shitload of hostas he's grown himself. Nice plants, several crowns per pot, decent price, so I walked away with two, a Drinking Gourd and some smaller one whose name I forget that should have large white flowers.

The day before I got two at the garden centre, a Regal Splendour and a Frances Williams, so I'm definitely going to be filling in some of thr empty spots in my back yard.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It's much darker than this, a deep deep crimson, but Général Jacqueminot .

It's heavily scented, too.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
What’s destroying my plants?

I don’t usually mind a few pests but this is ridiculous.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

That weird tuber/bulb thing i asked about a month ago is happy again now that its not stuck in a sad cup sized pot.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
That's a cyclamen

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

And a very warm cyclaman to you to

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Wonderful hort happenings itt!!!

I have tried bluestar creeper in my backyard two seasons now. The first time, my dirt was total poo poo from heavy machinery. This season I amended it with significant top soil, but they still hate it and suffer. I’m thinking root bound plants and/or poor hardening off, but I broke them up well this year. I’m 90% sure I’m not overwatering. Maybe they’re just stressed. I probably won’t try them again unless they come around. I should probably go all-in on natives instead of attempting Not Grass anyways.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Horticulture: bluestar creepers up ITT

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
How does one identify hosta varieties? Thanks to this thread I figured out that a: I have hostas! :D b: I have at least three different types but am not sure
I've decided that I think they're cool and would like more when I have the funds to both purchase more and properly mulch the beds in the yard.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Canadian Bakin posted:

How does one identify hosta varieties?

Mostly by guessing. There are a stupid number of named Hosta varieties, many of which are virtually identical to other existing varieties or are literally identical to other existing varieties (and were only renamed for marketing/wank reasons).

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Canadian Bakin posted:

How does one identify hosta varieties? Thanks to this thread I figured out that a: I have hostas! :D b: I have at least three different types but am not sure
I've decided that I think they're cool and would like more when I have the funds to both purchase more and properly mulch the beds in the yard.

There are -so- many varieties at this point that it might be difficult to figure out.

Leaf color(s), leaf shape, overall plant size, presence of glaucous coating on leaves, flower color, presence of fragrance are going to be your guides here.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Canadian Bakin posted:

The two previous posters covered it, but another problem is that some greenhouses with patent their particular hosta, another greenhouse will try to breed a similar hosta through different varieties and you'll end up with two of the same looking hosta with two different names. The hosta market is loving wild. I would recommend following the other poster's suggestions for identifying mostly to see what types of needs the hosta has. Some needs a lot deeper shade than others, there are some that will thrive in like full sun light but most are cool with full shade to part sun.

Speaking of hostas, here's your Empress Wu update. It's been too warm (90+ day time w/ full sun, yuck) to plant my new hostas so I am gonna spend time walking around the yard and placing stakes where they are going today. Hoping Saturday/Sunday will cool off enough that we can get some in the ground finally. Also gonna be moving 3-4 existing hostas to new beds, including the ones that are kind of under Empress Wu right now lol

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

ohhyeah posted:

What’s destroying my plants?

I don’t usually mind a few pests but this is ridiculous.

Some interesting looking necrosis going on.

If you can't see a pest then the causes can vary from too much water, fertilizer/chemical damage to "plant has given up will to live"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

RickRogers posted:

"plant has given up will to live"
Very important point. Plants do. There doesn't have to be an external cause. They just look deep into their plantly souls, and realize "My time here is up."

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Those plants are in two big semi-permanent pots that flank my front steps. I stick annuals in them every year and don’t do much else. They usually do great. I'm not sure what to do besides replace the soil?

Maybe I’ll do like some spells to get rid of the bad vibes. If they just died for no reason I feel like any new plants will be moving into a haunted house.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Very important point. Plants do. There doesn't have to be an external cause. They just look deep into their plantly souls, and realize "My time here is up."

sometimes a plant thinks of bees, but not in like a fun sexy reproductive way

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

ohhyeah posted:

Those plants are in two big semi-permanent pots that flank my front steps. I stick annuals in them every year and don’t do much else. They usually do great. I'm not sure what to do besides replace the soil?

Maybe I’ll do like some spells to get rid of the bad vibes. If they just died for no reason I feel like any new plants will be moving into a haunted house.

For a job that went over a few years, I had to replace somebody's annuals in x-many containers, 3 times a year and once the container soil was removed at the top and only topped up (and every two weeks or whatever, used some liquid feed).
We noticed that the summer plants were markedly poorer and sicker than previous years, and didn't last as long before many decided to rot away and give up in September.

So long story short, our customer (basically rich uncle penny bags wannabe) decided not to spare money in the future and we replaced the substrate completely each time and the plants were generally healthier.

Tldr: yeah, spells probably work!

oatmealraisin
Feb 26, 2023
Should I prop this sunflower up or will it stop slouching on its own when it gets older?

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

bagmonkey posted:

The two previous posters covered it, but another problem is that some greenhouses with patent their particular hosta, another greenhouse will try to breed a similar hosta through different varieties and you'll end up with two of the same looking hosta with two different names. The hosta market is loving wild. I would recommend following the other poster's suggestions for identifying mostly to see what types of needs the hosta has. Some needs a lot deeper shade than others, there are some that will thrive in like full sun light but most are cool with full shade to part sun.

Speaking of hostas, here's your Empress Wu update. It's been too warm (90+ day time w/ full sun, yuck) to plant my new hostas so I am gonna spend time walking around the yard and placing stakes where they are going today. Hoping Saturday/Sunday will cool off enough that we can get some in the ground finally. Also gonna be moving 3-4 existing hostas to new beds, including the ones that are kind of under Empress Wu right now lol

drat she big! Does that large variety need more sun than the smaller ones? I have a spot that needs more hostas but it gets very little sun. The ones I have there (question mark on variety, people are always giving way hostas here when they split theirs because they are so prolific) are doing just fine fwiw. I might be willing to pay actual money to get a hosta plant if it takes up that much space

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

oatmealraisin posted:

Should I prop this sunflower up or will it stop slouching on its own when it gets older?

What's going on at the sharp angle in the stem that is hidden by the pot edge? Has the stem been broken or injured? Is it withered and brown looking?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

If it's stretching like that, there's light issues most likely. It's trying to reach more light but there's not enough to support healthy growth to maintain solid stem structure.